HELP! I'm busting my butt and still gaining!

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Showe53188 wrote: »
    Out of all the atticles I've read a lot of them say that you don't have to change what your eating you just can't over indulge. Others saying that you shouldn't "diet" that you should change your lifestyle.

I agree with both of these. People fall into the yoyo dieting when they make changes they see as finite and think "once I reach goal I can go back to normal". Well the problem is "normal" got you where you are now, so going back to normal will just get you back to where you are now. I usually tell people not to make a change they do not see themself being able to live with forever. This advice could definitely be argued successfuly, but I think it is a good general rule of thumb.

I have definitely tried new things since I started this journey, and found that some food works better in my diet than others. There are other foods that may not be ideal for calorie counting but I just refuse to live without (hello chocolate). It sounds like you are being sensible and balanced about your food choices.

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Get an eat-clean magazine follow the 2 week menu. Get a heart rate monitor and make sure you are walking in zone 2 for AT LEAST 45 minutes. If nothing shakes loose then consult your doctor and make sure all your numbers are where they should be. Take your journal of food and exercise for the doc to see. They'll have tips too.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    The game was eating healthily and logging everything even if I took a taste of something and making sure I came under on each category such as calories, fat, carbs and sodium etc. except I always strived to get a high amount of protein. That will happen by making healthy eating options. For me I stopped drowning my coffee in creamer, substituted white bread for thin grain bread, mayos for mustards, white potatoes for sweet potatoes, white rices for brown rices & wild rices & watched condiments and dressings closely as they are sodium time bombs. Mostly used red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil & limited or avoided pre-packaged or processed or canned foods. Instead eat lean, chicken, turkey, tuna or fish or lean meats & lots of healthy fruits and vegetables or frozen as an alternative. Broil, boil or bake or bbq and try to avoid fried or fast foods. That's what did it for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    kingscrown wrote: »
    Get an eat-clean magazine follow the 2 week menu. Get a heart rate monitor and make sure you are walking in zone 2 for AT LEAST 45 minutes. If nothing shakes loose then consult your doctor and make sure all your numbers are where they should be. Take your journal of food and exercise for the doc to see. They'll have tips too.

OP - please ignore this.

clean eating magazine, really?????????

• brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    What I reay need help with is making sure i track everything. Thank you everyone for calling me on my *kitten*. I needed a dose of reality!

Getting back to advice. Do you drink coffee or tea first thing every morning? I have found that logging that first thing has helped create a habit for me. Its a constant, and its become part of my routine.

Also, are you using the pc or a smartphone app? I have both. The PC has its advantages, but the ap is awesome because you can use the barcode scanner, and I find it easier to find the correct entries for foods because you can compare across multiple entries at a quick glance. It will also 'yell' at you nicely to remind you to log if you haven't all day.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I also started with a 20 minute walk each day at lunch & did about an hour of cardio in the evening like stairstepper or bike. I then progressed to strength training about 4 days a week with cardio 1 day a week for 45 min to an hour & still try to get in a walk or be as active as I can. I went from 1200 calories to almost 2000 calories a day and have lost over 83 pounds. Now focusing on the lifestyle and in the best shape of my life at 44 and am focusing on definition and core. You can do it!
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I just want to take a second to thank everyone who's replied. I read it all and realized that I don't track as accurately as I could and i eat back my calories way more than I should. I looked at an even deeper issue. My food diary is closed. I asked myself why and I realized because I'm embarrassed because I guests mate way too much. A lot of my diary I have either exercised a lot more than it shows so it looks like a over ate hundreds of calories or I didnt input my dinner or somedays didn't put my food or exercise at all. What I reay need help with is making sure i track everything. Thank you everyone for calling me on my *kitten*. I needed a dose of reality!

Good luck! You can do it! <3
  • Showe53188
    Showe53188 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - please ignore this.

I will not ignore. I don't believe everyone/ anyone is right or wrong. In the end the only right answer is what works for me. I accept everyone's input
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    BerryH wrote: »
    Brilliant, that's the first step right there. I track everything, even when I've gone horrifically, embarrassingly over. Then when I wonder why I haven't lost after a couple of good days and I've forgotten the feasting, I can look back and see where I could do better.

This. I ate (and, to be more accurate, drank) something like 1000+ over my deficit the other night. Whoops. And then probably not much different on date night the next day. I don't regret them, but logging them both is an important way to make sure that I'm eating with awareness. Mindless eating has been a huge problem for me in the past.

OP, it sounds like you know how what's wrong, and have an idea of how to get it together. It just takes time. :D
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Out of all the atticles I've read a lot of them say that you don't have to change what your eating you just can't over indulge. Others saying that you shouldn't "diet" that you should change your lifestyle. I absolutely love eating my fruits and vegetables but with Easter just passing and eating at my parents instead of my own place where there is healthier foods I have slipped up some. With a mix of the two I try eating what I like just portioning it but trying to pick healthier options when grocery shopping also. Although I am working on what I eat I'm focusing a little more on my exercising. I have a desk job and am not very active durring the day but this week I have already walked 9.5 miles and still going.

You've got it right! Your attitude is terrific.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I just want to take a second to thank everyone who's replied. I read it all and realized that I don't track as accurately as I could and i eat back my calories way more than I should. I looked at an even deeper issue. My food diary is closed. I asked myself why and I realized because I'm embarrassed because I guests mate way too much. A lot of my diary I have either exercised a lot more than it shows so it looks like a over ate hundreds of calories or I didnt input my dinner or somedays didn't put my food or exercise at all. What I reay need help with is making sure i track everything. Thank you everyone for calling me on my *kitten*. I needed a dose of reality!

Just another dose of reality. From what you have been saying it sounds like you are getting it.
    From your original post:

I have been walking 1-2 miles everyday. Oatmeal for breakfast salad for lunch and a meat and fresh vegetable for dinner. What am I doing wrong? What can I change?

Getting a minimal amount of exercise and eating a normal diet is not busting your butt. It may be an improvement from where you were but nowhere near busting your butt.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit? I think your logic is a little flawed Jelly.

For weight loss you can absolutely eat candy, roll ups, cheeseburgers, and chips as long as you maintain a deficit. That is how energy works.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, first of all, wonderful attitude! I'm not sure how much time you've spent in the MFP forums, but these threads usually go off the rails pretty badly by now. It seems like you're in a good frame of mind to hear advice, which is very refreshing :)

I took a peek through your diary, and it's not bad. I'm going to ask about the "homemade" and "generic" entries you're using. Did you enter those recipes yourself? If not, I'll guarantee they're not accurate for what you actually ate. In addition to getting a food scale, the #1 thing you can do to improve your logging is to learn how to navigate the database:

1. Entries without an asterisk were entered by MFP; entries with an asterisk are user-entered. There's no real quality control for user-entered items, except checking to see how many people have confirmed it, so use those entries with caution.
    2. "Generic" and "homemade" entries are almost always wrong. Unless you can confirm the calorie and macro counts against something else, like a package label, don't use those entries!
    3. The best way to be accurate for any kind of packaged food is to use the bar code scanner or to confirm the brand name of the entry.
    4. Users will often enter (USDA) after a food -- these are typically entered using information from the USDA database and are more likely to be accurate.
    5. When in doubt, ALWAYS enter the individual components of the food! This is huge. Don't look for an entry that says "scrambled eggs" -- enter the raw eggs, and then the butter/oil/whatever as separate entries. This can take a little time at the beginning, but most people eat the same foods in the same combinations often, so you can start saving those as meals in your own diary.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jelly wrote:

For weight loss you can absolutely eat candy, roll ups, cheeseburgers, and chips as long as you maintain a deficit. That is how energy works. [/quote]

And there is the healthy weight loss advice of the day!!!!! Outstanding.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jelly wrote:

For weight loss you can absolutely eat candy, roll ups, cheeseburgers, and chips as long as you maintain a deficit. That is how energy works.

Haven't you quit this thread more than once?

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - please ignore this.

I will not ignore. I don't believe everyone/ anyone is right or wrong. In the end the only right answer is what works for me. I accept everyone's input

yea well clean eating has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss…just trying to save you some money...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jelly wrote:

[/quote]

well considering that is a true statement not really sure what the issue is…

or don't you understand the basic principle of energy?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit? I think your logic is a little flawed Jelly.

True, works for weight loss

A big fail if you eat too much of that stuff and want to live a healthy lifestyle. Say 2 people have 500 calories a day after they hit the macro and weight loss goals. Who is going to feel better, have better blood test numbers, more energy for activities, etc., the one who consumes the 500 calories worth of candy, chips, pop, etc or the one who eats some extra lean protein, complex carbs, etc.?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

True, works for weight loss

A big fail if you eat too much of that stuff and want to live a healthy lifestyle. Say 2 people have 500 calories a day after they hit the macro and weight loss goals. Who is going to feel better, have better blood test numbers, more energy for activities, etc., the one who consumes the 500 calories worth of candy, chips, pop, etc or the one who eats some extra lean protein, complex carbs, etc.?

my blood work is perfect and when I was bulking I was getting 500 calories from ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc…

so here is your example…

next...
This discussion has been closed.