HELP! I'm busting my butt and still gaining!

Options

Replies

• donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Maid, I will bet you a dollar that if a person eats salted popcorn, salted pizza, salted tortilla chips, salted lays potato chips, skittles and salted pasta, all within their calorie limit, that they will see a gain in weight. Add in some McDonald's fries and chicken nuggets. Yum yum. If that is someone's mean plan, I think they will not be physically nor mentally good about their self. But of course you and jelly disagree and that is fine.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Maid, I will bet you a dollar that if a person eats salted popcorn, salted pizza, salted tortilla chips, salted lays potato chips, skittles and salted pasta, all within their calorie limit, that they will see a gain in weight. Add in some McDonald's fries and chicken nuggets. Yum yum. If that is someone's mean plan, I think they will not be physically nor mentally good about their self. But of course you and jelly disagree and that is fine.

Science disagrees with you too. Unless you're talking water weight, but that's not fat and will come right back off. It's already been said numerous times that no one is recommending that eating like this all the time is a good idea for anyone's overall health. You just choose to ignore that.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    fatjon73 wrote: »
    OP....scales are a must......number 1 priority is to weigh food and log EVERYTHING....even if it does embarrass you.....that aspect is one of the things that keep me on track and some others I know....so the open diary...and people that will keep you in line are very helpful too.......

But at the end of the day...unless you know what your putting in then you cannot get a handle on your issues.....

Start from the beginning again......buy some scale...and a note pad.....write everything down you eat.....have a little one in your pocket / handbag etc to log when out........log drinks.......tea / coffee / but definitely soda.........that can be a real eye opener to newbies....

Weigh Butter you put on bread too...that can be more than you think...also condiments...I can empty a full bottle of sauce on a plate of chips or with a steak......again a realy eye opener once you see whats in it......

Eat your normal food for a week or 3 and log it fully.....close your dairy for this time if its that bad in reality...but its that time and data collection that really does help you to understand what you actually eat in a day........

Then you can work out what can be done to fix it.....change one meal a day for a week or 3 again.....(I like a week or 3 a lot BTW)..........then do anther.......you will soon learn that eating 3 slices of toast for breakfast give you too much for not long filling....you might find muesli, porridge or cereals are better at filling you....and are the same or less in calories.....you will see that your Saturday night take away (this is my life story I am recanting....as I do not know your situation)is not worth starving yourself all day for so you change your mind set on meals.....taking you healthy without knowing it.....that's what's happened for me.....

Planning is also one of the best things to do.......if you know you want a weekend treat...or a bottle of wine / beer or 3.......then add it before hand.......and then try plan meals you usually eat around that....you will find again your then searching for filling foods rather than treaty types etc...

I also advise to take it slowly....its taken yrs (many yrs for me) to get in the state we find ourselves...so we are not going to fix it overnights......set short term goals that are achievable.....but also long term goal as well...something to aim for...but the short term ones also keep you motivated.....

Its hard work....you have won the first fight with your attitude and your realisation of lack of accuracy.....I am a data nerd...so I am very anal that all data should be as near perfect as it can be.....

for me.......after 2 months of very slow loss.....4lbs instead of the 14 lbs predict.....I was also like WTF......so I went a bit mental.......bought a fit bit...read every fitness / nutritional article / forum page possible,.........it can get in your head.....the thing for me that stops the complete mental breakdown over it all is accurate data.....not sure if I have mentioned that before....lol.....

I would recommend a activity tracker if you can afford one...I have a fitbit charge HR...and I love it....it tells me what I have done in a day...better than any treadmill...or MFP app.....there are many around that sync with MFP....and can really help with understanding the things you need to change....

Good luck with it...hope you can find your groove....

It's easier to type one comma or one period rather than several periods. Or is this part of your exercise plan?
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    You women just seem to like to argue, and what you are saying about this junk food being fine as part of a long and short term diet plan just defies good sense. I just hope new readers realize that you are all arguing emotionally just to be right. You all sound so angry. I will say a prayer for you all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

at least they have a basic understand of the principles of energy and nutrition ..

your vapidity on the subject is entertaining though, so please continue.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP....scales are a must......number 1 priority is to weigh food and log EVERYTHING....even if it does embarrass you.....that aspect is one of the things that keep me on track and some others I know....so the open diary...and people that will keep you in line are very helpful too.......

But at the end of the day...unless you know what your putting in then you cannot get a handle on your issues.....

Start from the beginning again......buy some scale...and a note pad.....write everything down you eat.....have a little one in your pocket / handbag etc to log when out........log drinks.......tea / coffee / but definitely soda.........that can be a real eye opener to newbies....

Weigh Butter you put on bread too...that can be more than you think...also condiments...I can empty a full bottle of sauce on a plate of chips or with a steak......again a realy eye opener once you see whats in it......

Eat your normal food for a week or 3 and log it fully.....close your dairy for this time if its that bad in reality...but its that time and data collection that really does help you to understand what you actually eat in a day........

Then you can work out what can be done to fix it.....change one meal a day for a week or 3 again.....(I like a week or 3 a lot BTW)..........then do anther.......you will soon learn that eating 3 slices of toast for breakfast give you too much for not long filling....you might find muesli, porridge or cereals are better at filling you....and are the same or less in calories.....you will see that your Saturday night take away (this is my life story I am recanting....as I do not know your situation)is not worth starving yourself all day for so you change your mind set on meals.....taking you healthy without knowing it.....that's what's happened for me.....

Planning is also one of the best things to do.......if you know you want a weekend treat...or a bottle of wine / beer or 3.......then add it before hand.......and then try plan meals you usually eat around that....you will find again your then searching for filling foods rather than treaty types etc...

I also advise to take it slowly....its taken yrs (many yrs for me) to get in the state we find ourselves...so we are not going to fix it overnights......set short term goals that are achievable.....but also long term goal as well...something to aim for...but the short term ones also keep you motivated.....

Its hard work....you have won the first fight with your attitude and your realisation of lack of accuracy.....I am a data nerd...so I am very anal that all data should be as near perfect as it can be.....

for me.......after 2 months of very slow loss.....4lbs instead of the 14 lbs predict.....I was also like WTF......so I went a bit mental.......bought a fit bit...read every fitness / nutritional article / forum page possible,.........it can get in your head.....the thing for me that stops the complete mental breakdown over it all is accurate data.....not sure if I have mentioned that before....lol.....

I would recommend a activity tracker if you can afford one...I have a fitbit charge HR...and I love it....it tells me what I have done in a day...better than any treadmill...or MFP app.....there are many around that sync with MFP....and can really help with understanding the things you need to change....

It's easier to type one comma or one period rather than several periods. Or is this part of your exercise plan?

do you ever have anything of substance to contribute?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jelly, I will answer your question if you can show me where I said "a calorie deficit isn't sufficient for weight loss". Good luck with that. Your preaching that sweets burgers chips and other junk food is " fine" as a diet is getting tiresome.

If you and I agree that a calorie deficit is sufficient for weight loss, then what do you think you are disagreeing about?

Why are you so angered by the statement that OP doesn't have to eliminate processed foods and "junk food" to lose weight? You don't have to eliminate any food to lose weight. All you have to do is create a calorie deficit. Finding the truth tiresome doesn't change the truth.

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    You women just seem to like to argue, and what you are saying about this junk food being fine as part of a long and short term diet plan just defies good sense. I just hope new readers realize that you are all arguing emotionally just to be right. You all sound so angry. I will say a prayer for you all.

Wow, you're quite the misogynist. Men have told you it's fine too. You're the only one on this thread who comes across as hysterical (both definitions of the word - irrationally emotional and very funny.)
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You aren't acting like it is "fine." You said being reminded of science was "tiresome," you're on the brink of a flounce, and you have made bizarre statements about women. If it is fine for people to disagree with you, start acting like it.

• atypicalsmith
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Frequently. Do you?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Frequently. Do you?

maybe you would be better off on My Grammar Pal instead of My Fitness Pal ..

and based on your posting history, no you don't.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

I've lost 75 pounds doing JUST that for a year now. My health is excellent and my blood work last month was perfect. I've even reversed insulin resistance by being sensible about my intake and allowing for treats.

So pray away, dude.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Actually I just did this last week. I was soooooooooo sick and couldn't eat anything so i decided that if I was going to be sick at least I was going to enjoy it and get some calories. I ate 1500 calories of nothing but crap; cocacola, 2 of those 500 calories pies from 7/11 potato chips. Guess what... the next day I lost a pound... And this was after 6 weeks of loosing .5 pounds a week.... And I've kept that pound off this entire week.... Yes you can eat crap at a deficit and loose weight and keep it off.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Ah, the final stand of a man who realizes he is completely and utterly wrong, but cannot admit it. . . throw slurs at women.

What about the multiple men who disagreed with you here? I would hate for them to be left out of your prayers.

• donjtomasco
    Options
    Yay for you Asher. Well done. You now have a good plan to work from.
  • donjtomasco
    Options
    Lol ndj. Nice one.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options

Many people have experienced a temporary weight gain from eating a lot of salty foods over a day or two, however it is only water retention or "bloat", which isn't a real gain and can be remedied by eating simpler foods and drinking a lot of water. This is where we must differentiate between weight loss/gain and fat loss/gain.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

[/quote]

It's easier to type one comma or one period rather than several periods. Or is this part of your exercise plan?[/quote]

I agree......It a bad habit I have picked up from this bloody site.......its the news feeds...I like to rant....a lot....and they can be lengthy.....the news feeds are *kitten* for proper chats.....not spaces....so I have now developed the ......................................to get gaps on my sentences......its getting into my normal emails now too......at work also........I may need MFP rehab soon.......

Also....I would try some new glasses out....they are full stops not comma's...................;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Well based on that logic then keep eating candy and roll ups and cheeseburgers and chips as long as you are at a calorie deficit? I think your logic is a little flawed Jelly.

Even though type of food in and of itself does not actually cause us to gain weight, I think I see where you're coming from, Don.

Eating a lot of foods that don't satiate us can lead to eating more food than we realize because we are not staying as full, therefore it stops weight loss or we eat to the point where we gain. Also, if we are not accurately tracking our food in and exercise burns, that can kill our deficit.

For me, it's important to aim for nutrient dense foods most of the time and include the higher fat, higher calorie foods, in smaller moderation. If I cook and prepare my own food, I have more of a chance of staying in that calorie deficit. However, I realize this is not true for everyone.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Frequently. Do you?

maybe you would be better off on My Grammar Pal instead of My Fitness Pal ..

and based on your posting history, no you don't.

You're just jealous :smile:
This discussion has been closed.