Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Options

Replies

• blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    bump
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    paulaviki wrote: »
    Love this thread!

I've been doing kettlebells for a while and use a 12kg but just got some adjustable dumbbells to use at home. They go up to 50kg (25kg each) so I figure that should keep me going a while as I don't go to a gym. I started today and did squats, deadlifts, beach press and overhead press with them, starting with 10kg in total. It was tough but I do enjoy weights much more than cardio.

I'm hoping my before and after will be good enough for me to post in here one day!

Don't be afraid to go heavier with kettle bells. I guarantee you can swing more than you think! I started out swinging (and everything else, too) with a 12 kg as well, and now can do 2 hand swings with a 32 kg bell, and 1 hand swings with a 20 kg bell! My one rep max for Turkish get ups is with a 28 kg bell, and I can now press a 24 kg bell for one rep. I've also been able to squat double 20 kg bells.

In fact, I have been using kettle bells for a year and a half now, and didn't start adding in any barbell work until the end of November of last year. They are an amazing tool, and can be just as effective as barbell work, but you can't be afraid to go heavy with them!
  • epido
    edited March 2015
    Options
    double post...sorry!

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    Amazing results!
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I do not have any proper before pics as I was very very camera shy due to the weight I had gained. However, I did find one taken on holiday just before I started on MFP at the age of 44.

14e23b06-7716-4547-9e59-c79386d793c0_zps33aefaae.jpg

I lost 37lbs through a reasonable caloric deficit and lifting over the course of a year. Since then I have done a bulk and a cut and am now reversing back up ready to bulk again. A couple of my most recent pictures, now at 46 years old:

06cedb90-4950-4a11-84b3-10db5b631f90_zps7edcf2d4.jpg

fbec8bb8-aef6-43ee-a1ad-174035f50330_zpsf4a318fe.jpg

I think I love you.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow!! you all look awesome! if i may ask what training program your following? stronglifts NRFL?
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Thanks for the pics. It is very inspiring to read about your successes and see the pics. Thank you

Pedi
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Gives hope to a 57 yo woman.
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No were close to done but been doing 5x5 for bout 5weeks i feel less squishy4tfntdqb1voa.jpg
    4hwk2cai5nq1.jpg
  • megcorey
    Options
    Very tiny dif. But def. Stronger :)
  • Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    carrieous wrote: »
    and i had a c section. so, it can be done. even when you are "old" LOL

Good to know you had a C-section! I did as well and close in age. Your pics have definitely motivated me!

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    epido wrote: »
    I think I may have posted pics earlier in this thread, but here's the latest update of where I am at, as of April 11.

Along with the accomplishments in the video, all of which were personal bests, I also hit the 90 pounds lost mark!

And just for a reference point, here's where I started and a picture from Saturday:

txgoe87tk9j3.jpg

6x72topbjmnl.jpg

You are so strong! I love it.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    epido wrote: »
    I think I may have posted pics earlier in this thread, but here's the latest update of where I am at, as of April 11.

Along with the accomplishments in the video, all of which were personal bests, I also hit the 90 pounds lost mark!

And just for a reference point, here's where I started and a picture from Saturday:

txgoe87tk9j3.jpg

6x72topbjmnl.jpg

Holy bench press, I am so impressed. WHAT an inspiration!!!!!
  • megcorey
    Options
    Need support feel off the wagon missed 3 lift days nd ate to much
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Grats Epido! 290 lb deadlift , you are my hero!

There's a handsome dude checking you out in the bottom middle photo btw, give him a smile next time at the gym....
  • megcorey
    Options
    Fell excuse me :p
  • pdwhitlock
    pdwhitlock Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

There's a handsome dude checking you out in the bottom middle photo btw, give him a smile next time at the gym....

She is awesome! I bet that is the same thing that guy behind her watching her deadlift is thinking! This was an awesome thread to read through. I'm going to find it back when I get my "beast mode" pictures. Just started lifting heavy a few months ago, went from 37 % body fat in October and I'm down to about 29% now.

• epido
    edited April 2015
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »

pdwhitlock wrote: »
    She is awesome! I bet that is the same thing that guy behind her watching her deadlift is thinking! This was an awesome thread to read through. I'm going to find it back when I get my "beast mode" pictures. Just started lifting heavy a few months ago, went from 37 % body fat in October and I'm down to about 29% now.

Thanks ladies! That guy in the background was one of the other people who were competing in the Tactical Strength Challenge we were doing that day. I do see him around the gym every once in a while, and he is super nice! We typically work out at different times of the day though, so it isn't very often that I run into him.
  • Renee2GetFit
    Renee2GetFit Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This thread is awesome and exactly what I needed!!