Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    ^ Not stupid! That is a very unhelpful way to list serving sizes. I have no clue.

I agree on both counts: not a stupid question because I've never understood popcorn servings anyway. "Unpopped"??? Why even list it that way?

I know right! As if ANYONE eats it unpopped
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    For anyone feeling overlooked in this thread, I read every post but I can't reply to everything because I read while I'm walking. I have a good sized house and I have a path through the foyer, dining room and kitchen that I walk while reading the forums to get my steps in. I just can't type and walk very well. I need a treadmill lol. I asked my husband tonight to get me (or build? ) an exercise bike with a desk so I can get some exercise & mess around on my laptop at the same time. It sounds like a great idea. I've seen treadmill desks but I'm pretty sure that I would hurt myself. I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Early on in this thread someone said mixing plain m&m's with hot buttery movie popcorn is delish! I was not able to try it because I was off chocolate for Lent. I confess that as usual I have been checking the movie listing for something to see every week, and I remind myself I am gonna try that next time I go to a movie!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, M&Ms with pop corn are great. I got a Mcflurry nearly everyday I was in the hospital and it rekindled my love of M&Ms as a mix in.
  • alwinter09
    alwinter09 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My confession is that I feel disgusting. I look at myself in the mirror, but cover my face with my hands. This body doesn't feel like me, I feel younger than I am even though I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I feel like a slob and that I'm not sexy, my self esteem has taken a huge dive, and some days it's hard not to be hard on myself and expect better.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ^ Not stupid! That is a very unhelpful way to list serving sizes. I have no clue.

I agree on both counts: not a stupid question because I've never understood popcorn servings anyway. "Unpopped"??? Why even list it that way?

I suppose that on the bright side ('cause I'm always in search of 'stealth silver lining -age' ;) ), we should give thanks that there isn't some sort of 'Partially Popped" listing (btw, in quickly looking at what I just typed, I (mis-)'read' that as "Partially Pooped" (?!) lmao ;) ), and which perhaps takes into account unpopped kernels that become part of some previously non-discussed (turn eyes the other way!) sort of 'abandoned calorie wasteland' (the accidental punning, involving the 'unfortunate exit' (!) of the concept of 'partially pooped', and that keeps on 'rearing its ridiculous head', would seem to be a 'gift' that 'keeps on giving' (let alone, involves ironic 'conflict', what with its emanating in conjunction with the 'when will it end?!'-like 'case' of 'verbal diarrhea' that I seem to (once again!) be 'afflicted' with...! ;P )))...

...because trying to account for *that* (i.e. the partially popped (and otherwise partially pooped ;) ) kernels) would seemingly require statistical extrapolations (and possibly involving microwave wattage settings, time-specific parameters, and goodness-knows-how-many-other additional variables (including the potentially complicating element of various flavor inclusions 'having a say in' (and perhaps 'having their way with') whatever ultimate 'formula' were to be derived, to supposedly 'represent' this 'mass calorie casualty'-of-a-calculation' (!), prior to the determination of a corresponding set of Nutrition Facts (<--- and with "facts" being eligible for 'false advertising' claims 'straight out of the gate', no less, given the requiring-a-PhD-in-mathematics insanity associated with the relevant numbers' claimed 'legitimacy', what with their all but having been 'pulled out of a hat' (and while being covered in the 'goo' of maybe(s), possibly(s), might(s), and could(s)), in the wake of the 'this is SUCH a bad idea' -like launching of whatever investigatory madness associated with 'how to account for unpopped kernels' was ever authorized in the first place (though it would be a boon for the printing industry, given how many accompanying asterisks would 'need' to be found 'littering' the product's Nutrition Facts 'panel' (<--- see? yet another bright side! -- at least *someone* would benefit from the unfathomably widespread uncertainty! ;P )))))...

So... long story short (too late!)... it *could* be worse... ;)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like all my posts are invisible, cause no one ever replies to them :/

It's a fast moving thread--just keep chatting!

Lol I'm well aware, I've read every single post in this thread, I'm always caught up :smiley:

Throw something super juicy and gossipy up!

I won $2mill in a poker tournament in 07 (tho I only ended up with a profit of $500k). Being 19 at the time I was verrrry reckless with money thinking I would be able to do this again and again. Turns out its not that easy and I wasted SOOO much money in the next couple of years, just being young and naive. Now I look back at that time and regret so much of what I did and wish I woulda known then what I know now. Oh well...live and learn eh? lol

I was also thrown into the spotlight because of this win, and really had to learn to grow up and dealing with people judging me and talking about me on forums etc. It was very hard on me, and I'll never forget some of the negative things ppl said about my looks. This is one of the reasons I finally decided to lose weight, to make ppl shut up.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mziegler01 wrote: »
    I ran into a friend at the grocery store and she was buying the stuff to start on that military diet. I said, "Good luck with that," pretty sarcastically. Now I feel kinda bad cuz she's a big girl and I'm afraid she thought I meant she would fail.

I have a few friends trying this too. I keep rolling my eyes. I tell them the weight is going to run back onto you like a gazelle on the Serengeti the moment they stop that diet and it'll all be water weight anyhow, but have at it. XD Like, I might do that if I got too fat for a specific pair of pants that I needed to wear desperately at the end of the week, but that's about it.

Yeah. I have friends who do this too. But they say calorie counting is too hard or obsessive. At least I get to eat ice cream :p
  • kyliejean292
    kyliejean292 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    plumppork wrote: »
    Wow sounds like you guys are doing great! I swear I have a voice in my pantry that calls to me every time it knows I bought junk food. And when I answer the pantry door the chips jump out and all I'll say is that I definitely don't only eat one serving! YIKES! I'm trying to do better but to be honest I could live off of chips and cheezies and popcorn. I know popcorn is not bad but I should say I love It with lots of butter!

This is me too!
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    alwinter09 wrote: »
    My confession is that I feel disgusting. I look at myself in the mirror, but cover my face with my hands. This body doesn't feel like me, I feel younger than I am even though I'm the heaviest I've ever been. I feel like a slob and that I'm not sexy, my self esteem has taken a huge dive, and some days it's hard not to be hard on myself and expect better.

A lot of us have been there. I have. I'm still working on it, with a long way to go, but finding a physical activity that I enjoy has helped. I do karate, and it makes me feel powerful and strong, even though I'm still lumpy and overweight. It makes me appreciate what my body can do, even if it isn't perfect. I hope you find a way to feel better about yourself.
  • kyliejean292
    kyliejean292 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One time at the gym a group of firemen came in to work out...I was like a freakin giselle on the treadmill but was secretly dying.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    jlnoble513 wrote: »
    @AngryViking1970 what does turkey bacon taste like? I'm scared to try it lol. I don't like turkey

Uh...like bacon? LOL It doesn't taste like turkey, but it has a different texture than regular bacon for sure. It's much firmer and doesn't really get crispy. Try it!

But not really. I have decided that it's not worth the few calories I save. Life is too short!

This is the truest statement I've heard in quite some time! I feel 100% the same way. I'll save calories somewhere else. When I want bacon, I want BACON!
    I'll second that! I use this mentality with butter vs. margarine, cream vs. creamer, and whipped cream vs. cool whip. I would rather have the real stuff than the "fake".
    W
    I usually go for the real instead of a substitute, but I really do prefer turkey bacon. It's always a mess to cook regular (albeit delicious) bacon and when I order it out, it's usually all floppy and super gross.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options

Yeah, I can sort of picture it.

"Oh my god! Are you alright? Were you in an accident?"
    Quizzical look, "Whatever do you mean?"
    Completely dumbfounded and uncomfortable look, "Well, I mean, you know, your teeth."
    Happy but busted smile, "That comes from eating my favorite snack. Rock hard unpopped popcorn, with added lump of unmelted butter and salt. Mhmm, yummy. I know it broke all my teeth, but it was totally worth it. Also I got to accurately measure the calories!"
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »

Completely dumbfounded and uncomfortable look, "Well, I mean, you know, your teeth."
    Happy but busted smile, "That comes from eating my favorite snack. Rock hard unpopped popcorn, with added lump of unmelted butter and salt. Mhmm, yummy. I know it broke all my teeth, but it was totally worth it. Also I got to accurately measure the calories!"
    But can't you just measure out the unpopped popcorn and then pop it? It's the same thing with rice; you measure out the cup or whatever of dry rice and then cook it.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »

But can't you just measure out the unpopped popcorn and then pop it? It's the same thing with rice; you measure out the cup or whatever of dry rice and then cook it.

I think that would defeat the purpose of the microwave in the bag kind they're talking about.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I couldn't understand for the longest time what the big deal was with working out how much popcorn you got for how many calories, until I realised that in the US they don't have to put the nutrition per 100g as well as per serving like they do here. That's got to be so annoying...
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Confession:

At times, when reading about people-whose-lives-and-historical-significance-I-was-previously-unfamiliar-with, and whose contribution(s)-to-society I had somehow never learned of (or, specifically, never knew was attributable to them), I'll sometimes issue a kind of "thank you" 'to' them (or, I suppose, more precisely, 'to' the 'memory' of them... or otherwise 'in their honor'), after learning of something they did that has 'changed the world'...

And so... after reading the following --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Beauty in mathematics is in a large part attributable to the illuminating efficiency of smart and tidy symbols. [...]

In 1557, Robert Recorde abbreviated "is equal to" to two long, parallel lines, birthing the equals sign to avoid repeating himself 200 times in his book Whetstone of Whitte. [...]
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-- which was excerpted from the article titled, "The Surprisingly Short History Of The Plus Sign" (which was accompanied by the descriptive prelude of, "Before the 16th century, most math equations were written as metered verse. Thank god for graphic-design-inclined mathematicians.")...

...I suddenly found myself 'giving a shout-out' to Robert Recorde, who I learned (per the fine folks who created his Wiki page) was a Welsh physician and mathematician, and who, in addition to inventing the 'equals' sign, "also introduced the pre-existing "plus" sign (+) to English speakers in 1557" -- and he died a year after spreading the news of said 'plus' sign's existence...

...and as it turns out, he was the first to introduce algebra to England... and per the Wiki page for "Plus and Minus Signs", he was "the designer of the equals sign, introduced plus and minus to Britain in 1557 in The Whetstone of Witte: "There be other 2 signes in often use of which the first is made thus + and betokeneth more: the other is thus made – and betokeneth lesse."

And in reflecting on the 'ponderable', "how often do I use math symbols?", it is remarkable how incredibly much I utilize each of the aforementioned symbols in any of my handwritten (and even typed!), 'shorthand'-littered, and abbreviation-addled "notes" (and whether 'to' myself, or regarding any of various whatnot I somehow feel compelled to 'summarize' or otherwise 'quickly commit to paper', for the purpose of triggering memory at a later date)...

...and I'd like to hereby risk making a fool of myself, by "thanking" him online, and yes -- on a site related to weight management, physical fitness, and the kind of psychological strength that can be revealed or otherwise 'associated with' such... because, let's face it, this is an online community whose use-of-site 'intent' involves more literal, figurative, and metaphorical use of "plus", "minus", and "equals", than we could possibly 'shake a stick at' (<-- and even *that* would involve such, what with its involving + (physical activity), - (calories stored in the body), and = (simultaneous gain and loss that is of benefit))...!

So... without further ado (it's about time! ;) )... I'd like to publicly thank Robert Recorde... for not only *adding* to our lives, and *subtracting* the otherwise incessant terminology required if not using a mere symbol... but -- and all things being equal ;) -- for "giving birth" to, and 'adding' (so to speak ;) ) those two horizontally parallel lines to 'the arsenal of succinct communication' (ironic that *I'm* expressing anything having to do with succinct communication, isn't it?! ;P ), without which our lives would be 'immeasurably' worse/'less than'... and which 'equates' to being a means by which we have maintained our respective sanities (what with our having been spared the otherwise tedious requirement of 'indicating with words' the concept in question, let alone every time we needed to 'engage in the act' of equating any of however many 'anythings')...

This 'gift to humanity' = (<-- in the modified words of Alanis Morissette, "isn't it symbolic...?" ;P ) a gift whose positive nature is both figurative as well as literal (<-- I originally typed that as "listeral" -- which suddenly sparked the concept of Listeria entering my mind (?!))... and that's something that no one can ever 'subtract' from the realm of human knowledge (or much of anything, for that matter!)... and in a kind of 'this Bud's for you' -like 'tip of the hat' (or typed word, as it were), I hereby 'salute' you (and with great respect, and gratitude (and gab-giddy glad goofiness that seems nearly irrepressible ;) ))...
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    mziegler01 wrote: »
    I confess that I changed my calorie goal a couple of days ago from losing 2lbs per week to losing 1lb per week and I feel so much better! Those extra like 400 calories to play around with make me feel full and I'm less likely to go over my goal. Plus most days I stay within my 2lb goal anyways, but now I never see red and that feels awesome.

I also confess that I feel awful about my life right now in almost every aspect except my relationship with my husband and my weight loss...and I'm all right with that. Everyone around me also seems to have their life falling apart on a regular basis and I'm super thankful to have my support rock always there for me. Reading this thread and the silly little posts from my friends on here and seeing their accomplishments every day makes me so much more cheery than going on facebook ever does. <3

I hate the red numbers. I have my calorie goal set to "maintain". I figure if I'm under that every day, I'll lose. Maybe it won't be as fast, but I won't get frustrated as easily sigh those red numbers.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like all my posts are invisible, cause no one ever replies to them :/

It's a fast moving thread--just keep chatting!

Lol I'm well aware, I've read every single post in this thread, I'm always caught up :smiley:

Throw something super juicy and gossipy up!

I don't think that really works. The guy who slept with his cousin's wife and the girl with two boyfriends were largely ignored...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I went on a date last night with a man I'd met through a friend of a friend. We went to an Italian place for food before going to watch a mutual friend play a gig with his band. He asked me what I wanted to drink before going up to the bar, and I asked for a pint of beer. When he came back he had a glass of wine for me, which wouldn't have phased me if it was red or white but it was rose which I don't like, so I asked what had happened to the beer, since he had one for himself so obviously it wasn't like they'd run dry.
    His reply was 'oh sorry, I just find it really unattractive when girls behave like boys. Drinking beer, swearing, eating with their hands, it's a massive turn off'.
    He expressed surprise at the end of the night when I didn't sleep with him :D

I'd have told him that sleeping with someone on the first date really seems like "boy" behavior.

Actually, I probably would have left after being told what I was "supposed" to be drinking. What kind of person changes another adult's order?

We should start a thread on dating adventures. I'm realizing that I've never actually dated until recently--I've always just had long relationships. I'm actually having fun with it, but sometimes it's just hilariously ridiculous.