1,000 Calorie Challenge!

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories running in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

tvjd17zsp1h9.jpg

I'm 6'2", 225 pounds, and that's pretty close to what I get on a 7 mile run. I'm around 1,200 calories on that distance. I have a hard time believing that you get that burn off a 7 mile run. I'd say you should have been at about 794 calories for that run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

This is my run from earlier today:
    Screen%20Shot%202015-04-15%20at%207.33.32%20PM_zpsquvvqrmz.png

2 mile warmup
    2 miles <7:00
    1 minute rest
    2 miles <6:50
    1 minute rest
    1 mile <6:40
    2 mile cooldown

800 calories, running quite fast for 1:08 and 9.2 miles. I am 5'7" 147lbs

But see, that amount seems low by several calculators. They seem to be 1000-1100 for total run.
    Both the one linked in comment you quoted, and one in my post above this one.

And while I don't know your VO2max, from stats and that pace it's obviously pretty good from calc's that estimate it based on pace, and this shows higher calorie burn too.

www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    okay i'm going to leave it be then. Thanks guys, I was starting to worry.

I'm not losing weight because i'm almost at goal annnnnnd running makes me hungry. So whatever.

And wine.

I should switch to whiskey.

^truth

If I burn 500 calories on a nice trail run, I inevitably want to eat at least 800 calories.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

If it wasn't possible to burn large amounts of calories, the contestants on the Biggest Loser wouldn't be able to rack up such big losses at the end of the week.

Just to add - don't believe what you see in that terrible show. "weeks" are often longer, as long as 14 days. And those people dehydrate themselves before weigh ins.

But the point several have tried to make is that it is possible to burn that much in a day. A lot of us do it frequently. But not in an hour. And the effort required to consistently log those burns is much more than what people seem to think.

And then to do this seven days in a row...on purpose...for no benefit that outweighs the potential problems.
  • jofjltncb6
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Post so nice...

...I said it twice.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    okay I'm an idiot, but I don't understand, if we can't trust our freaking HRM (with chest strap) what can we trust? I burned over 1000 calories running in a little over an hour. I'm 28, female, 5'7 and 150...Is my Garmin a liar?! What gives?

tvjd17zsp1h9.jpg

I'm 6'2", 225 pounds, and that's pretty close to what I get on a 7 mile run. I'm around 1,200 calories on that distance. I have a hard time believing that you get that burn off a 7 mile run. I'd say you should have been at about 794 calories for that run.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

2 mile warmup
    1 minute rest
    1 minute rest
    2 mile cooldown

But see, that amount seems low by several calculators. They seem to be 1000-1100 for total run.
    Both the one linked in comment you quoted, and one in my post above this one.

And while I don't know your VO2max, from stats and that pace it's obviously pretty good from calc's that estimate it based on pace, and this shows higher calorie burn too.

www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Measured VO2Max at 65ml/kg/min. Your calculator there implies this would be a 940 calorie run. Either way that is close enough for me. I don't track what I eat most of the time, but it is good to know about what I burn off in a day so I know how much food to plan for.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    okay i'm going to leave it be then. Thanks guys, I was starting to worry.

I'm not losing weight because i'm almost at goal annnnnnd running makes me hungry. So whatever.

And wine.

I should switch to whiskey.

^truth

If I burn 500 calories on a nice trail run, I inevitably want to eat at least 800 calories.

But exercise doesnt affect everyone the same. It doesnt make me any hungrier.

Glevinso its nice you cna do that amount of exercise, but its still not that hard for someone undertaking a challenge to burn 1000 calories in a day through exercise if they split it up, it just takes time. There also the fact I cna do consideably more exercise if I adjust the intensity.

Its a bit sad that people missed the point on this thread, it was a challenge. the OP may have been overestimating her own burns and 1000 calories in an hour I think is way off, but you cna do 1000 calories over a day. Lets say that was 4hrs of exercise a day at 250 calories. Irrespective of whether people believe or dont believe calorie burns its bit far fetched people can believe you cant burn 250 calories an hour.

The challenge as set by the OP was feasible and achievable, it just takes a bit more than your average visit to the gym. 2000 calories a day would be a lot harder.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I guess my only point is that the typical person who might consider undertaking this challenge is more likely to injure themselves than if they picked a more reasonable goal. 500/day for 7 straight days, for someone untrained, is certainly accomplishable. 1000/day (a real 1000) for a straight week with no rest? That is asking for injury unless the person is trained up to the point of being able to do it, in which case this sort of "challenge" doesn't really have much appeal.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I guess my only point is that the typical person who might consider undertaking this challenge is more likely to injure themselves than if they picked a more reasonable goal. 500/day for 7 straight days, for someone untrained, is certainly accomplishable. 1000/day (a real 1000) for a straight week with no rest? That is asking for injury unless the person is trained up to the point of being able to do it, in which case this sort of "challenge" doesn't really have much appeal.

I feel this has been mentioned many times throughout the thread.
  • glevinso
    edited April 2015
    Options

It has... we have gotten to the "circular argument" part of the thread. If it keeps going it will further devolve into a semantics fight, followed by cat gifs, followed by the eventual heat death of the universe.
  • 999tigger
    Options

On the injurty point it depends what you are doing. If it was straight off and not spread and in the 1hrs, then it wouldnt happen. If it was soemthing like swimming x hours a day over a few sessions, then no.

I thought the main emphasis on the thread wasnt about injuries but people saying its impossible to do 1000 calories a day, which it isnt, even for seven days straight. I took it 7000 over a week was permissible.

The other issue about 1000 calories in the hour was just overestimation by the OP imo.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

On the injurty point it depends what you are doing. If it was straight off and not spread and in the 1hrs, then it wouldnt happen. If it was soemthing like swimming x hours a day over a few sessions, then no.

I thought the main emphasis on the thread wasnt about injuries but people saying its impossible to do 1000 calories a day, which it isnt, even for seven days straight. I took it 7000 over a week was permissible.

The other issue about 1000 calories in the hour was just overestimation by the OP imo.

Overuse injuries can happen regardless of what you are doing.

Are you using muscles while swimming? Yes.
    Are you using your muscles (and all connective soft tissues involved with using your muscles) more than they are accustomed to doing? Yes.
    Are you using them significantly more than what they are doing, causing greater damage than what can be healed in a period of 48 hours? Definitely.

You can injure yourself by swimming more than what you normally do, especially if you are new to the activity. Same thing applies to everything. Even walking, which is the most natural and lightest for of activity in existence.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

at no point has anyone said it's impossible. Of course it's possible to burn 1000 calories in a day- you do that just be getting up and functioning. Bro- do you even BMR?

The ridiculousness is the amount of time and energy it would take to burn 1000 EXTRA calories a day.... and lord on the 1000/hour conversation.

We've been around- we've had the conversation.

It is what it is- if you want to go for it- go for it- no one is stopping you- but not a single person here is going to say doing that on an extended daily time line is a wise idea.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

It has... we have gotten to the "circular argument" part of the thread. If it keeps going it will further devolve into a semantics fight, followed by cat gifs, followed by the eventual heat death of the universe.

I knew this thread was missing something
  • 999tigger
    Options
    @ chivalry Never in disupte that the more you do any sort of movement then the greater the chance of an injury, but you greatly reduce any risk if you control the pace and take rests.

JoRocka wrote: »

at no point has anyone said it's impossible. Of course it's possible to burn 1000 calories in a day- you do that just be getting up and functioning. Bro- do you even BMR?

The ridiculousness is the amount of time and energy it would take to burn 1000 EXTRA calories a day.... and lord on the 1000/hour conversation.

It is what it is- if you want to go for it- go for it- no one is stopping you- but not a single person here is going to say doing that on an extended daily time line is a wise idea.

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

Someone was posting it was impossible earlier on, do i have to go back and find it? FTAOD we are talking about 1000 extra as that was established on the first page.

Is it as ridiculous amount of time as you say? It would take something like 2-5hrs depending what you were doing. you could even make up a lot of that if you perhaps walked or cycled to work. Not for everyone, but then the OP never said it was. Its more a time consuming thing than being on the edge of dangerous. People should know their own limitations though and its clearly not suitable for some/ many.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @ chivalry Never in disupte that the more you do any sort of movement then the greater the chance of an injury, but you greatly reduce any risk if you control the pace and take rests.

JoRocka wrote: »

Nope, not possible. Your calorie burn is HUGELY overestimated! It is dang near impossible for the average person to burn 1000 through exercise in one day.

Someone was posting it was impossible earlier on, do i have to go back and find it? FTAOD we are talking about 1000 extra as that was established on the first page.

Is it as ridiculous amount of time as you say? It would take something like 2-5hrs depending what you were doing. you could even make up a lot of that if you perhaps walked or cycled to work. Not for everyone, but then the OP never said it was. Its more a time consuming thing than being on the edge of dangerous. People should know their own limitations though and its clearly not suitable for some/ many.

I think one person said that it was impossible in a day and everyone else disagreed, Then it moved on when the op claimed to do it easily in an hour.

do keep up :wink:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

2 mile warmup
    1 minute rest
    1 minute rest
    2 mile cooldown

Just about spot on. :drinker:

• Mr_Knight
    Options

Somebody flag this post for awesomeness.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    The other day I jogged a 10k and burned 1576 calories.

10k for 1576 cals.

No, no you didn't.

2508904458_2a47fbcb87.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    But if that's accurate then a HRM is the most accurate way to measure burned calories correct?

NO.

• 999tigger
    edited April 2015
    Options

I think one person said that it was impossible in a day and everyone else disagreed, Then it moved on when the op claimed to do it easily in an hour.

do keep up :wink:

I was merely responding to what jorocka was saying. the tenet of the tread at that point was about calroie burns and overstimation. Ofc the thread splintered off into different areas. Your response was inadequate do pay attention.

I wouldnt disagree with what glevinso wrote above which is a good summary. No idea why some of you got so excited.