trainers or professional bodybuilders opinion needed

Options
I have read that the body can only produce 2-3 pounds of muscle a month and up to possibly 25 pounds a year? Im sure after 5 years this is still a true proven fact, right?
I have a friend who swears that he worked out 3 weeks straight, 4 days a week and gained 19 pounds of pure muscle then claims he had to stop working out due to getting to big. In my head i knew he was full of crap. I called him out of course in front of ppl but its virtually impossible to do this without gaining fat but his training partner who is a trainer some where claims that his gains are true but yet ge looks like all his muscle went to his gut.
i read alot and study because the transformation of the body is fascinating so i like to know how it works.
Unless science has a secret supplement that idk about this is still impossible to do weight wise?
I just need something to show him that his trainer is crap and his theories and he needs to read a little bit which will educate him...maybe
thanks in advance

Replies

• Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    19 lbs of solid muscle in 3 weeks, hahahahaha! Even the most expensive "supplements" can't achieve that! 19 lbs of water weight + fat + undigested food + exaggeration + a few pounds of muscle (maybe) could have happened...but not 100% all of it as pure muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    HA HA HA HA HA HAH...

no.

he's wrong.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    He must have one sweet ab :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think for men they can gain an ounce of muscle per day at their best. Meaning in three weeks he gained 21 ounces of muscle max (a bit under a pound and a half). So he gained 17.5 pounds of water, fat and bullsh*t (which is flowing out of his mouth).
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1/2 lb a week lean body mass gain is a reasonable goal. This is 12 times that.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Yeah, right, he gained all of that muscle and I lost 35 lbs. of fat and got 6 pack abs -- didn't happen.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In 3 weeks? Not a chance.
  • dukecrazy77
    dukecrazy77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im not an expert nor claim to be and i dont believe everything i read but i have been working out 10 yrs or so and im not trying to get huge but i stay around 150 but i am trying to get heavier a bit and i know with muscle comes fat and what i eat and how much determines muscle and fat ratio and etc...sure i can call his bluff but i just needed others opinions to show him that maybe his trainer is not right for him since his trainer stopped hi
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Im not an expert nor claim to be and i dont believe everything i read but i have been working out 10 yrs or so and im not trying to get huge but i stay around 150 but i am trying to get heavier a bit and i know with muscle comes fat and what i eat and how much determines muscle and fat ratio and etc...sure i can call his bluff but i just needed others opinions to show him that maybe his trainer is not right for him since his trainer stopped hi

What you eat? Sort of, but how many calories you are eating compared to how many your body burns is the more important factor in how much fat you gain.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    what you eat has very little, if any effect on muscle/fat ratio. When adding weight or cutting weight, calories are 99% of the equation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've seen somthing similar to this happen with clients and myself. When coming back from a layoff I gained 14lbs in 3 months and got leaner. A client of mine gained 28lbs in 2 months and didn't add that much fat. If you increase volume fast enough and train with high intensity you can get some crazy results.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I've seen somthing similar to this happen with clients and myself. When coming back from a layoff I gained 14lbs in 3 months and got leaner. A client of mine gained 28lbs in 2 months and didn't add that much fat. If you increase volume fast enough and train with high intensity you can get some crazy results.

What method do you use to calculate that?
  • ScottJTyler
    ScottJTyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    This was achieved by TRAINING HARD and not mentally restraining yourself by reading articles about theoretical limitations written by skinny guys on the internet.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

No, you didn't.

ETA: unless geared up.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    This was achieved by TRAINING HARD and not mentally restraining yourself by reading articles about theoretical limitations written by skinny guys on the internet.

I didn't ask how you did it. I asked how you are calculating body fat and lean mass gains? Also, when you say he gained do you mean total lean mass or actual muscle mass (as I am sure you know there is a difference)?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

No, you didn't.

ETA: unless geared up.

My guesses:
    -using a highly inaccurate method to measure fat
    -counting water/glycogen into the gains
    -exaggeration