The 40-Something Club

Replies

• Erinleigh13
    Erinleigh13 Posts: 56 Member
    I am on my 13th straight day logging in and in that time lost 1lb. hoping to kick that up a notch but at least it's going in the right direction, right?!?!?
  • TLL09
    TLL09 Posts: 149 Member
    Any loss is better than a gain!!!
  • m0nsterdad
    m0nsterdad Posts: 37 Member
    I'm 45 this year!
    I started at 403lbs and lost approx. 36lbs before plateauing hard....since I started using MFP and being more active in my profile and community I started losing again and have lost more than 60 more lbs! I'm down to 317 and am liking life and myself a lot more these days....I'm proud of what I've accomplished and am grateful to all who encouraged me on and continue to do so!

Hind sight being 20/20....
    It wasn't as hard to do as I thought...I just had to get outta my own way.
  • swimminginseattle
    swimminginseattle Posts: 21 Member
    Hello there 40 Something's!

It's been fun reading the introductions and the good reports on this thread.

I'm 48 and have 80 - 100 pounds to lose, we'll see how it goes. Gotta say the 40's have been great for me, academically the most important years of my life, and weight is the last "issue" that I need to work through...and I think that I am 100% ready to do so.

Today's start: tracking everything, and I actually went to the gym and swam!!!

I hope that everyone find their path!
  • robinson3445
    robinson3445 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I am 41 and I would like to lose 40 lbs. I don't exactly what I am doing but I look forward to sharing and getting advice from you all.
  • shawnkonica
    shawnkonica Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    I joined in Jan with a goal of 50 lbs! I have hit the gym and am eating the correct ratios. I worked with a trainer to get the ratios correct. Some things to keep in mind first of all I have lost 20 lbs twards my goal. When you do this it needs to be a lifestyle change for sure. It will not happen overnight. Some things to look at when you plateau.... make sure your ratios are correct.. MFP makes this easy as the graph will show you. For example mine currently is set to carbs 40% fat 30% protein 30%. This may not be right for your goals. You also have to eat at least 1300 calories or your body will stay in starvation mode and you will not lose weight. Keep in mind that working out can also keep your weight the same for a time so it is good to look at your inches not just your weight.. for example when I first started I was not losing much at all weight wise but when we check inches I had lost inches...muscle weighs more than fat so as you lose fat and build muscle there can be a transition period. Also if you are working out you can not go by the bmi as this does not account for lean muscle. I started at 30% body fat and have at the last check gotten down to 23%. Granted I am working out 3 days a week and am doing some kind of cardio 3 days a week and have 1 day that I totally have off other than walking my dog which I do every day 2 miles am an 2 miles pm most of the time. This is a journey for many of us... I am lucky to have a friend that has gone though something similar and he has lost 100 lbs the differences between us are he has serious bouts of depression and has still done it. He is very inspiring! I hope this helps as this journey has made me a much happier person along with giving my body a chance to feel the way it should!! Done blabbing now thanks for reading,
    Shawn
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    I am on my 13th straight day logging in and in that time lost 1lb. hoping to kick that up a notch but at least it's going in the right direction, right?!?!?

I keep telling that to myself. Not gaining is a win. But only 6 lbs in 6 weeks is frustrating. But I did plan on only 1 lb a week. Slow and hopefully steady.

• 789D789
    789D789 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, I'm 41 and would like to loose 20. I've been wanting to get this off for about 15 years now. Its time.
  • kimberlyanne0522
    kimberlyanne0522 Posts: 38 Member
    What great posts / comments here!! Love to see all the positive motivation and support. I'm 44 and thanks to groups like this I've got my exercise and diet routine down to a science and have been in maintainance mode for 3-4 years... So YES with help and support from this site and sites like this you can do this!!! And I'm not paying it forward big time so anyone please feel free to add me to your support network. I love sharing / swapping ideas and providing motivation!!
  • shanday75
    shanday75 Posts: 4 Member
    Hey! I recently turned 40 in March. Boo AND hiss! I have 5 children ages 22, 17, 9, 4 and 2. oh IKR!! spread them babies out well. By the time my youngest graduates i will be dang near 60 :( Im insulin dependent diabetic since 2005 when i was preggo with #3 In Nov 2013 my #4 child was diagnosed with cancer one week after turning 3 yrs old :'( During her year long treatment i failed to take care of myself. three weeks ago i went to see my endocrinologist and she gut punched me when she said if i keep this up... i wont be around in ten years!!!! uhhh huh??? Im 5'7" and 211# the first week i logged and exercised i was down to 204. feeling fantastic. i have been working out three times a day faithfully and logging all my food and watching carbs. today i weighed for the first time in a week amd im back to 210?????? what in the sam heck??? my cheat days, once a week, i have a mcdonalds biscuit and hash brown... no other cheats. i feel like im working my butt off for nothing! granted my fasting blood sugars have fallen from 435 to 125! i give praise to that!!! I dont know what else to change.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    shanday75 wrote: »
    Hey! I recently turned 40 in March. Boo AND hiss! I have 5 children ages 22, 17, 9, 4 and 2. oh IKR!! spread them babies out well. By the time my youngest graduates i will be dang near 60 :( Im insulin dependent diabetic since 2005 when i was preggo with #3 In Nov 2013 my #4 child was diagnosed with cancer one week after turning 3 yrs old :'( During her year long treatment i failed to take care of myself. three weeks ago i went to see my endocrinologist and she gut punched me when she said if i keep this up... i wont be around in ten years!!!! uhhh huh??? Im 5'7" and 211# the first week i logged and exercised i was down to 204. feeling fantastic. i have been working out three times a day faithfully and logging all my food and watching carbs. today i weighed for the first time in a week amd im back to 210?????? what in the sam heck??? my cheat days, once a week, i have a mcdonalds biscuit and hash brown... no other cheats. i feel like im working my butt off for nothing! granted my fasting blood sugars have fallen from 435 to 125! i give praise to that!!! I dont know what else to change.

Some of that 5 lbs might be musle weight from the workouts. Or your period/bloating weight. Focus on those awesome blood sugar numbers. Congratulations on that.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    I am 40 with 17kgs to lose. It used to fall off in my twenties, but hey.. it is about time I learnt how to eat properly. I have rebelled against the idea of counting calories for years, but now that I have tried it (for about 8 days now), I am LOVING it! Who would have thought that tinkering with numbers would be such fun! Lost 1.3kg in just over a week. This community is great.
  • robinson3445
    I joined in Jan with a goal of 50 lbs! I have hit the gym and am eating the correct ratios. I worked with a trainer to get the ratios correct. Some things to keep in mind first of all I have lost 20 lbs twards my goal. When you do this it needs to be a lifestyle change for sure. It will not happen overnight. Some things to look at when you plateau.... make sure your ratios are correct.. MFP makes this easy as the graph will show you. For example mine currently is set to carbs 40% fat 30% protein 30%. This may not be right for your goals. You also have to eat at least 1300 calories or your body will stay in starvation mode and you will not lose weight. Keep in mind that working out can also keep your weight the same for a time so it is good to look at your inches not just your weight.. for example when I first started I was not losing much at all weight wise but when we check inches I had lost inches...muscle weighs more than fat so as you lose fat and build muscle there can be a transition period. Also if you are working out you can not go by the bmi as this does not account for lean muscle. I started at 30% body fat and have at the last check gotten down to 23%. Granted I am working out 3 days a week and am doing some kind of cardio 3 days a week and have 1 day that I totally have off other than walking my dog which I do every day 2 miles am an 2 miles pm most of the time. This is a journey for many of us... I am lucky to have a friend that has gone though something similar and he has lost 100 lbs the differences between us are he has serious bouts of depression and has still done it. He is very inspiring! I hope this helps as this journey has made me a much happier person along with giving my body a chance to feel the way it should!! Done blabbing now thanks for reading,
    Shawn

Thanks this does give me something to start with. Rel
    shanday75 wrote: »

• robinson3445
    This helps a lot. Thanks for the advice. I am using the MF to keep up with my calories. My calorie intake is 1300. Idk how but I will stick to it!
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    I'm 42, female, very petite 5'0". My weight in my teens, 20's, to late 30's always hover between 92- 99 lbs tops. And that was okay.

I gained 15 lbs (107.5) I'd say from all different reasons-- turning 40, changed from active job to management/desk job, running had been touch and go, personal/emotional stuff. All these and voila! 15 lbs in 8 months!

I lost all of them through discipline and consistency. You may add me for support! N.
  • 1Blackshoe
    1Blackshoe Posts: 17 Member
    40, 19lbs down in this latest effort (my birthday in Jan). At least 20 to go and then well see. Recently started running and committed to several races over the summer and into next year to keep me moving. Always looking to connect with folks, especially beginning runners. Thanks.
  • janzia
    janzia Posts: 76 Member
    42 and would like to lose about 25 more about pounds, I've lost 28 since January. The real trick is maintaining the loss since I've been down this road more times than I would like. I took back up running consistently and am doing an 8K on May 2nd and signed up for my first half marathon in November to force me to stay consistent. I'm sure there will be a few more races in between. I'm also in week 5 of a 12 week kettlebell rotation. Weights aren't my favorite but I know I need them. Oh and the weight loss has really seemed to slow down for me so my motivation is starting to wane, I'm hanging in there though. Feel free to add me.
  • AquaFan
    AquaFan Posts: 309 Member
    I'm 43 with 30 to lose. Feel free to add me. :)
  • MrsFierce
    MrsFierce Posts: 17 Member
    I am 43 and have about 43lbs to lose! Hoping to get motivation from some other 40 somethings to kick this into gear.

Anyone?

I'm 40 something and looking to lose poundage and gain energy and vitality to pursue outdoor adventures
  • Southerngalpal
    Southerngalpal Posts: 23 Member
    43 here, I have 31 lbs to go.. anyone can add me!