Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I always love when people that recently started their journey want to criticize people for processed foods or sugar or junk. Euphoria can really be something powerful.

This is why I wish posts still showed tickers. It was much easier to wade through the bs that way.

Yeah, when did that stop? I was gone from MFP and the forums for a while and when I came back one of the first things I noticed was my ticker was gone from my posts. I looked all over my settings the other day trying to get it back. Then I realized that no one had them. :disappointed:

I miss them as well. I actually realized I hadn't seen my ticker in a REALLY long time and I went to view my profile and I FREAKED OUT because I'm almost HALF WAY to my GOAL! :smiley:
    The tickers on posts disappeared after this new board update. You can add them manually, but you have to do that for every post and I'm quite lazy.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I thought mine was open but it wasn't. I opened it as I think it's a good example of how to eat "normal" food in regular meals with some exercise thrown in. I'm not a dietary expert. There are some crazy meals out there but I wouldn't pull people up on it unless they were asking for help.

I'm curious...

What do you consider "normal" food?
    What is a "regular" meal?
    What is a "crazy" meal?

To me...boiled okra and cottage cheese aren't "normal" nor "regular"...I wouldn't even give it the rating of "crazy". I do however realize that some people love boiled okra and cottage cheese...so they would consider those two foods "normal" and "regular" maybe even eat them at the same time and call them "crazy".

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    mine is open cause I DGAF either...even tho I have been made fun of because I eat Froot loops...nom nom...I leave it open because then I can say "my diary is open have a look if you want...."

Do I creep other diaries no...I had one friend who was way under and I asked about it out of concern only....and that was the last time I looked at a diary of someone who wasn't asking for help....

as for the tickers yes I miss those too...along with the Member since under our profile on the forums and the ability to click on the posts to see what people have posted....gives a lot of insight on their knowledge or lack there off...
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I dare say at this stage OP is too humiliated to return to this thread... :open_mouth:

I believe you are indeed correct.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Mine's open (I think), I don't particularly care.

I can't be bothered to look at my own diary, never mind any body else's.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I always love when people that recently started their journey want to criticize people for processed foods or sugar or junk. Euphoria can really be something powerful.

This is why I wish posts still showed tickers. It was much easier to wade through the bs that way.

Mine hasn't budged in a few months. Damn my Talenti and popcorn love! :grumble:

Hey you're out of jail!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people have hidden food diaries? Why?

You're amazed, yet you don't have an open diary...hilarious...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Exercise automatically updates to my knowledge. In regards to hiding a food diary, it's no one's business unless the person wants to make it public/available to confirmed friends.

It's no ones business until you start giving opinions about what one should and should not eat...
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I closed mine up after one too many unsolicited comments. The last one I got was extremely rude.

Lesson learned: Don't add random people to your friend's list.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I just am amazed at how many people have hidden food diaries? Why?
    Mine's open, yours isn't - so why don't you tell me.

• whereslisa
    whereslisa Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Since yours is closed you can just tell us, why?
    Mines open for various reasons. If I ask questions about my weight loss I find it would be good for people to be able to access my food diary to better help answer my question. I personally don't care, some days I eat good and healthy, stay under my limit, and some days I eat like crap and go 500 cals over. Nobody is perfect, everyone messes up, so people can judge but they would just be hypocrites. It isn't important to me to hide what I eat from people on the internet.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I closed mine up after one too many unsolicited comments. The last one I got was extremely rude.

Lesson learned: Don't add random people to your friend's list.

Aw I’m sorry to hear that! I would never say something not positive (i.e. hey, I love eating that too) to someone regarding their food intake. I hope you paid it no heed!

Also, love your shirt :smile: :+1: (I love coffee and am from Canada)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »

Yeah, when did that stop? I was gone from MFP and the forums for a while and when I came back one of the first things I noticed was my ticker was gone from my posts. I looked all over my settings the other day trying to get it back. Then I realized that no one had them. :disappointed:

I assumed removing the tickers was the continuing effort to make all of our opinions in the forums equal.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    did OP ever come back to answer her own question?

TL,DRR = too lazy, didn't read responses
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Because I find I am more honest if I keep it private.
    I don't need feedback on my diary. I've been around long enough and am accountable enough to myself that I know exactly where to look for problems when I stop losing weight.

This exactly. I did have everything set to private including workouts and logging in, but it's kind of nice to see that come up in my feed, and one of my close friends and I are hitting the gym hard so it's nice to see it in writing.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary private because my food choices are personal. We're all sensitive about different things, and for me, the way I eat (mostly whole, organic foods with the occasional treat or cheat thrown in) is something I'm surprisingly sensitive about.

It should go without saying that I don't like how some people on the forums immediately look at your diary and bring it up when you ask for guidance. I've had mine diary locked pretty much since the first time I posted here, and I joined back in 2012. Someone actually told me no one could help answer my question about daily recommended sugar intake because my diary was closed. :/
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I had mine locked for a long time and then only recently unlocked it when I determined that I have a better chance of making good choices when everyone can see my diary. A few days ago I ate Wendy's and a bunch of granola for dinner, and it was painful for me to make that entry. :(
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Personally, it makes no difference to me if anyone's diary is public or not. The option is there to set it to whatever preference we want. I don't see the point in judging anyone on which preference they choose.

I have never been curious about what others are eating unless they were asking for specific advice about what they were eating, in which case it would be helfpul for it to be open for viewing.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Cause it's none of your (or my business). If you're that curious what I eat, friend me. You'll enjoy my obsession with peanut butter then. *shrugs*
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Because I find I am more honest if I keep it private.
    I don't need feedback on my diary. I've been around long enough and am accountable enough to myself that I know exactly where to look for problems when I stop losing weight.

Exactly! Plus, as far as "boasting" about exercise... it's keeping momentum, if a person receives positive feedback on exercise, they are pumped, and motivated to keep it up. No one ever gives negative feedback on exercise. They sure like to jump all over someone if they god-forbid ever eat a donut tho'... the negative feedback not exactly a motivator, so as @3dogs running stated... we tend to be more honest if it's private. Accountability to ourselves is all that matters in the end.