Why do most hide their food diaries but boast their exercise logs?

Options

Replies

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I wouldn't care if someone checked it out
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Friend request = access to my diaries. Enter at your own risk! :D:D
  • 007Charlette
    007Charlette Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Friend request = access to my diaries. Enter at your own risk! :D:D

haha soo agree...

• 007Charlette
    Options
    Mine's closed because during the day I use the app to log, and for some reason half of what I logged on my phone didn't show up on the website. Because of this people were making rude comments about ''sloppy logging'' when I actually weighed and logged everything I ate and drank. I just got fed up with being unfairly judged.

Completely understand.. I worked long hrs back in 2012 and didn't have access to my phone or computer so I understand that as well..but thanks for the reply
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Diaries are to be used as to how the author wants to use them. Ok, if they don't know to go to settings and change the thing, that's different - but otherwise, private, friends only, with a key ( eh?) or open,- it's a matter of choice,
    Personally, I am totally open. That is one of the reasons I came on here - to feel I had to be accountable. A notepad and pen wasn't working for me,,,,,,

No one has yet to be judgemental over my diary, but I know it only a matter of time methinks! A pal was on here years ago and gave up due to judgement issues....and she one of the fittest most nutrition aware people I know,

• Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I haven't counted calories in a couple years, so nothing to see. What's it to ya?
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Two reasons why I keep my diary private is
    1. my diet is so boring people might suspect I´m OCD. Oatmeal or omelets for lunch and breakfast, fruit or ricecakes for snacks dinners are a variety of Soups made from frozen veggies, fisk or chicken made in wok and extra chickenstock to make a filling meal. This keeps me satisfied during the day even if it sounds quite boring.
    2. most days I dont log the eveningsnacks. I know if I have 1-, 2-, 3- or 400 cals to feast on and don´t need to log it to keep score. If somebody saw my log, they could misunderstand I suspect that I suffer anorexia,- and I most certainly do not..! I eat all of my cals even if I don´t log them all...
    And this I don´t care to explain to all new friends. If I need feedback on something I ask my friendlist, but don´t care for feedback on my boring daily menu.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The only reason I view others diaries is to find ideas for food to bust me out of food ruts that I often find myself in.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    Some people won't log the bad things or that massive hamburger that sent them way over because they're worried about what their friends will think.... And are too embarrassed.

This is so me! I'll start logging and then sometime after dinner, I'll eat something ridiculous and totally inappropriate - like 12 cups of popcorn or three Quest bars (or.. gulp.. both!). Albeit, the popcorn is air popped but who am I kidding? - I spray on at least 10 servings of popcorn spray and sprinkle on at least 4 servings of Kernel Popcorn Seasoning before I even taste test it (the only good news is I at least recycle the seasoning that falls to the bottom of the bowl). Once the day is ruined, I stop logging and don't even bother to publish my diary. And what's weird about it is that my MFP friends are awesome and I have no reason to hide it from them. I think it's my way of hiding it from myself. Sometimes, I'll feel so guilty about it, I'll confess it in my news feed.

Aw. Just log it! Your friends are supportive, no one cares. Plus you want the data to help you track!

I'm about to get my popcorn on tonight. That's been pre logged since yesterday for sure.

Don't feel bad I've had days where I've polished off three pints of ice cream.
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    The only reason I view others diaries is to find ideas for food to bust me out of food ruts that I often find myself in.

Me too. .well that was my intent when I added the FB people to my MFP friends list.
  • 007Charlette
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    Diaries are to be used as to how the author wants to use them. Ok, if they don't know to go to settings and change the thing, that's different - but otherwise, private, friends only, with a key ( eh?) or open,- it's a matter of choice,
    Personally, I am totally open. That is one of the reasons I came on here - to feel I had to be accountable. A notepad and pen wasn't working for me,,,,,,

No one has yet to be judgemental over my diary, but I know it only a matter of time methinks! A pal was on here years ago and gave up due to judgement issues....and she one of the fittest most nutrition aware people I know,

I agree with that..I just was shocked so many were locked if the point of people wanting to be added was for support advice etc..
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering what you mean by "boast" their exercise. Unless they change it in settings, it's just a default that it shows up when they log it. So not sure how that's boasting. :indifferent:

• PikaKnight
    Options

I agree with that..I just was shocked so many were locked if the point of people wanting to be added was for support advice etc..

So the only way you can support and give advice on fitness is by having an open diary??
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I think the point OP is trying to make is why do people purposefully post their exercise logs, but keep their diaries locked...
    I think it has already been established that mfp automatically posts exercise logs.
    It's not a conscience choice by the poster. It's not like they're thinking
    " hahaha I'm going to show em ' all how much exercise I've done today, but I won't allow them to see all the crap I've eaten"

It just how the app works :smile:
  • dufus12
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

So the only way you can support and give advice on fitness is by having an open diary??

I think the point was, how many people ask for help or support re their food intake but keep their diary private. I saw one today, asking for people to look over her diary and help her. But it was private. A lot of peeps made the mistake she had not got the setting right, but what she wanted was new friends to critique her diary....But you had to befriend her to critique......regardless if anything in common etc etc.

Just like you get people asking for pals but you go to their [profile and it tells you nothing - it not been filled in yet! How are you seriously going to know if you want to be pals and get along and have the same goals, interests etc if there is nothing to go on to begin with?? Duh....
  • dufus12
    Options
    I have an open diary. And don't request friends, but I accept them.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think the point OP is trying to make is why do people purposefully post their exercise logs, but keep their diaries locked...
    I think it has already been established that mfp automatically posts exercise logs.
    It's not a conscience choice by the poster. It's not like they're thinking
    " hahaha I'm going to show em ' all how much exercise I've done today, but I won't allow them to see all the crap I've eaten"

It just how the app works :smile:

I've made a conscious choice to post my workouts and not my diary. I answered why.
  • PikaKnight
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • dufus12
    Options
    Funnily enough, I think I have only looked twice at someone else's diary......ok, I have only been here two and half weeks..., but if I am interested in other peoples food I am likely to go to recipe section. #

I bet no one has looked at mine unless there has been a particular reason that I have flagged up, and even then I doubt if anyone that interested or has the time.
    But no problem if anyone wants to peruse.....as I said like watching paint dry.