Soda how long can you go without it?

Options

Replies

• yourstrulynancy
    yourstrulynancy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was a huge addict of soda. First regular coke then I thought i would be "healthy" and switch to diet coke. Probably consumed about 6 per day. I haven't been drinking soda for about three months now. My weight has not changed at all. I started drinking the SAMS sparkling water and I love it. I crave the carbonation and it does the trick. I enjoy the strawberry, peach and coconut pineapple. They are all zero calories and sodium. No guilt for me on that one. :)

Mayb the soda has replaced other things in your diet not everyone body is the same i lost 5 pounds in the last two months just quoting soda alone Cuz to b quite honest I just started working out about two weeks ago , and started dieting about three weeks ago I stopped soda and went down 5 pounds
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I've never tried to see how long I can go without, BUT I never really drank soda so often anyways... maybe once a week. Lately I've realized I actually share my can of regular Coke with my boyfriend... most of the time I don't even finish them anymore. :drinker:
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 cans of diet soda a day... I've never had a problem
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I was a huge addict of soda. First regular coke then I thought i would be "healthy" and switch to diet coke. Probably consumed about 6 per day. I haven't been drinking soda for about three months now. My weight has not changed at all. I started drinking the SAMS sparkling water and I love it. I crave the carbonation and it does the trick. I enjoy the strawberry, peach and coconut pineapple. They are all zero calories and sodium. No guilt for me on that one. :)

Mayb the soda has replaced other things in your diet not everyone body is the same i lost 5 pounds in the last two months just quoting soda alone Cuz to b quite honest I just started working out about two weeks ago , and started dieting about three weeks ago I stopped soda and went down 5 pounds

You lost weight because you removed those calories from the regular soda, not because soda itself was the problem. You could have also kept drinking the soda and cut calories elsewhere, or increased exercise, and had similar results.

To the original question, I drink about 1-2 diet cokes a day. I have been drinking it for 20+ years and am pretty sure that it runs through my veins at this point.

• Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    After multiple trial and error's of "cutting back" on non-diet sodas, I have come to the conclusion that I just have to give them up completely. I am extremely addicted to soda having drunk at least 2 to 3 per day for the past several years. I am on day four of no sodas. One glass of sweetened tea per day is barely helping the withdrawl headaches. Thats alarming.
  • Leighkai76
    Leighkai76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have one can of diet mtn dew every day. Occasionally I'll have two. I'm ok with that, it makes me happy.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet soda - I hate the taste of artificial sweeteners. So if I drink soda at all I go for the "real deal". That said, it's something I indulge in maybe once or twice a year.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Not very long if it's in the house but i'm usually far too lazy to buy it so if it isn't here i can go a very long time. Especially since i don't like diet.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a soda in almost 2 years. I try to stick to water. I'll have coffee or maybe some lemonade once in a blue moon but no soda.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Soda! We see it everywhere they advertise it in low calorie forms , and oh the sweet goodness in your mouth! But how bad it is to drink too much soda I have gone on a soda strike for about a month now and have seen great improvements. So my question to you is do you drink soda ? Is it diet? Or are you like me and refuse to touch it anymore ? Or do you just drink some on cheat days ? Please share :D

Soda is something that is not necessary if you chose not to drink it. I was an exchange student in the US in the mid-60s and again in the mid-70s and drank a lot of soda ( mostly Fresca ) just because everyone else did and because it was not something people drank in my home country.
    It's been 40 years now and I have never had a yearning for soda, even though every once in a while I have one ( usually Ginger Ale ), because I live in a country where water is not drinkable and bottled water is not always available.
    In regard to your question as to how long one can go without soda, I would say as long as you chose to.

• yourstrulynancy
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    After multiple trial and error's of "cutting back" on non-diet sodas, I have come to the conclusion that I just have to give them up completely. I am extremely addicted to soda having drunk at least 2 to 3 per day for the past several years. I am on day four of no sodas. One glass of sweetened tea per day is barely helping the withdrawl headaches. Thats alarming.

Sounds like u had it bad don't worry pop a pain killer it's worth the staying away From the soda everyone is different and our bodies don't always react the same

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I can take soda or leave it. I don't think I've had regular soda for years. I do drink a diet now and again but I could give it up no issue...now if I could just do the same with bread.
  • akdetweiler
    akdetweiler Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Aspartame what is it ? Can someone spread some knowledge

Artificial sweetener used in a myriad of diet products, but very prevalent in diet drinks. There are always two sides to every food story, but personally, I think anything sweetened with it just tastes bad. This article may be a bit over the top, but you get the idea......articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx
  • javafit
    javafit Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm addicted to diet coke. I just have to have one a day. I've read a million times that it adds to belly fat but I just can't give it up. :( My diet plan includes soda even though I feel so guilty about it. I've tried giving it up and can go maybe 4 days without it, but then it just re-enters my diet when I go out or something and can't stop the craving!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »

you probably need caffeine. go have a coffee or something.
  • machelle04
    machelle04 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My doctor basically has forbidden me to drink any type of caffeine and its been 5 months since i have drank a can of Coke. I thought it would be hard to cut it out but actually i don't miss it all!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'll have a coke maybe once every couple months. And I can't drink diet.
    I do drink a lot of club soda. Same carbonation bite, but no sugar.
  • yourstrulynancy
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

You lost weight because you removed those calories from the regular soda, not because soda itself was the problem. You could have also kept drinking the soda and cut calories elsewhere, or increased exercise, and had similar results.

To the original question, I drink about 1-2 diet cokes a day. I have been drinking it for 20+ years and am pretty sure that it runs through my veins at this point.

Once again everyone is different my reason for leaving soda alone is due to using it as an energy source and not eating right combined was just a horrible experience , not everyone is the same I would rather have water all day and be able to replace the three cups of soda for a delicious meal im a foodie when not replaced with a meal and just water I saw weight loss so Im not saying that drinking soda will make you fat , I am saying that if taken out your diet and replaced with water can make all the difference

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I love coke. I used to drink a ton of it, every day. Not only was that concerning from a calorie standpoint, but it gave me stomach aches. I pretty much felt like crap all the time but I didn't care, I loved my coke more. :)

I've cut back to once or twice a week, and when I do drink it it's in much smaller amounts than before. It's awesome to be able to still fit in the things I enjoy. If I thought I couldn't ever have a coke again, and then beat myself up every time I "slipped", I'd be miserable.
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    Options

you probably need caffeine. go have a coffee or something.

Hence my daily tea. ;-)