why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• timwaagh
    timwaagh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're saying. Either way, the stuff in your other posts is wrong.
    No. If you'd follow me you could check my progress for myself. weight loss on a scale does not translate one-to-one to a calorie defecit. so you cannot 'prove' my scale wrong with a calorie to weight ratio. check your science.

if you start dieting, you might lose a lot fast because it's water. right now i'm losing a lot less (still good. lost 1.2 kg in the meantime). this is normal. but i guess i'm making a lot of people yealous here when i say 6 kg in a week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so.

So you had a 54,000 Kcal deficit in a week? That's amazing!
    Please do share your secret!

eat little (fruit plus some dinner) and do lots of exercise (cycling, 44km on most work days). also, have your heart broken. the figure is just what the scale said so to translate that into a calorie figure is not accurate. besides 9000/kilo is on the high side. i've heard things like 7700.

I have no idea what you're saying. Either way, the stuff in your other posts is wrong.

Well, heartbreak is a well known way to lose weight. You know, crying all day, feeling constantly sick.. If you manage to cry while cycling, this will be super efficient for weight loss.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Aside from certain medical conditions… the only reason to limit fruit is because of calories. If it fits into your calories… I say enjoy your fruit. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Guys!!! Carbs are not the e
    seska422 wrote: »
    Lets say you have 5 servings of fruit and each of those servings has 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet, you've used up 1/3 of your calories for that day on fruit.

If you didn't count that fruit at all, then you've eaten 2000 calories when you only meant to eat 1500.
    aggelikik wrote: »

eat little (fruit plus some dinner) and do lots of exercise (cycling, 44km on most work days). also, have your heart broken. the figure is just what the scale said so to translate that into a calorie figure is not accurate. besides 9000/kilo is on the high side. i've heard things like 7700.

Well, heartbreak is a well known way to lose weight. You know, crying all day, feeling constantly sick.. If you manage to cry while cycling, this will be super efficient for weight loss.

I think you may need help
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    So a trainer recommended limiting fruit. I am not even sure the trainer understands their recommendation.

Good for the OP...asking questions is exactly what I would be doing.

Fruit does have sugars, for those that thrive on a very low carb diet , it probably is a solid recommendation.

As far as calories and health benefits flavor and food satisfaction most fruit is nearly perfect. The scientific reasons for limiting fruit in a weight loss plan would need to be overwhelming.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No. If you'd follow me you could check my progress for myself. weight loss on a scale does not translate one-to-one to a calorie defecit. so you cannot 'prove' my scale wrong with a calorie to weight ratio. check your science.

if you start dieting, you might lose a lot fast because it's water. right now i'm losing a lot less (still good. lost 1.2 kg in the meantime). this is normal. but i guess i'm making a lot of people yealous here when i say 6 kg in a week.
    If you lost 6kg (13.2lbs) in one week then you lost mostly muscle weight... I doubt anyone here would be jealous of that...
  • 311snowwhite
    311snowwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Peoples answers are so funny!

fruit is healthy, the sugars are natural and they contain tons of micronutrients! So of course it stands to reason that fruit would be a better alternative to a lot of other sugary things you could eat. However, fruit still contains SUGAR. And as with anything in your diet, most often times excess is not great. Especially for those who are actively trying to lose weight or watch their sugar intake, sugar and carbs are usually restricted so fruit would be too. For someone like me who follows IIFYM (if it fits your macros), sometimes I limit fruit intake because I get my sugar from other sources some days and don't want to go over my sugar intake recommendation.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You are actually making people feel sad for you.
  • selrold
    selrold Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat an entire fruit, you can eat a couple of slices of banana for a yummy topping or berries, apples and pear in your salad. A quarter of a medium pear sliced in a salad is wonderful. Or just a couple of slices. I love using fruit as a "garnish."
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    Guys!!! Carbs are not the e
    seska422 wrote: »
    Lets say you have 5 servings of fruit and each of those servings has 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet, you've used up 1/3 of your calories for that day on fruit.

If you didn't count that fruit at all, then you've eaten 2000 calories when you only meant to eat 1500.
    aggelikik wrote: »

I think you may need help

I think you are the one who needs help, not recognising sarcasm sounds like a very serious health issue to me ;)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

You are actually making people feel sad for you.

This^^^
  • pattersonm23
    pattersonm23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with you here! I used to think that eating endless amounts of fruit was okay because they had micronutrients. I've been working out for 7 years and had difficulty gaining lean muscle mass. I only started tracking macros a week ago and I can already see that I've been eating too much sugar because of fruit. Sugar is sugar.
  • jcarland11
    jcarland11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Yes, fruits are natural and have many great sources of vitamins and minerals, but they are also high in fructose (sugar). That doesn't mean you need to cut back on them in your diet!! MyPlate recommends 2-3 servings of fruit a day for the average healthy adult. It's more important to cut out sugars from candy, cake, cookies, and soda. huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Because everybody has an opinion.

Use YOUR common sense to form YOUR own opinion.

Exactly.
  • pattersonm23
    pattersonm23 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I agree with you here! I used to think that eating endless amounts of fruit was okay because they had micronutrients. I've been working out for 7 years and had difficulty gaining lean muscle mass. I only started tracking macros a week ago and I can already see that I've been eating too much sugar because of fruit. Sugar is sugar.

Gaining muscle isn't going to be determined just by sugar. It's dependant on the overall diet and training.

Gaining muscle isn't going to be determined just by sugar. It's dependant on the overall diet and training.

Obviously you genius. This post is about sugar intake. I have muscle I'm just not as lean as I would like to be so I'm starting to track my macros, I've been eating too much sugar all along. You are decent at being a troll by the way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Problem with fruit is that they're really not that filling for the calories. I have one serving a day, if that, and typically an apple because it's the only one that will fill me up (paired with some fat/protein).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Obviously you genius. This post is about sugar intake. I have muscle I'm just not as lean as I would like to be so I'm starting to track my macros, I've been eating too much sugar all along. You are decent at being a troll by the way.

He wasn't even rude? Your sentence made it sound like you thought that sugar was making it hard to gain lean muscle mass which isn't the case. Otherwise, why even add that line as it couldn't add anything other than what MrM assumed?
  • LKArgh
    Options

You are saying you are do not have as much lean muscle as you would like, because of the huge amounts of sugar in fruit? And you realised the error of your ways a week ago and fixed the damage the evli fruit where causing? Who is trolling now? Or do you seriously believe this?