why limit fruit intake?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I agree with you here! I used to think that eating endless amounts of fruit was okay because they had micronutrients. I've been working out for 7 years and had difficulty gaining lean muscle mass. I only started tracking macros a week ago and I can already see that I've been eating too much sugar because of fruit. Sugar is sugar.

Gaining muscle isn't going to be determined just by sugar. It's dependant on the overall diet and training.
    I agree with you here! I used to think that eating endless amounts of fruit was okay because they had micronutrients. I've been working out for 7 years and had difficulty gaining lean muscle mass. I only started tracking macros a week ago and I can already see that I've been eating too much sugar because of fruit. Sugar is sugar.

Gaining muscle isn't going to be determined just by sugar. It's dependant on the overall diet and training.

Obviously you genius. This post is about sugar intake. I have muscle I'm just not as lean as I would like to be so I'm starting to track my macros, I've been eating too much sugar all along. You are decent at being a troll by the way.

What does the sugar have to do with your leanness?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Why would sugar be a problem, though? The reason the WHO et al. say to limit added sugar is extra calories and it's usually found in high calorie/low nutrient foods, neither of which applies to fruit if you stay within your calories.

Fruit would be a problem if it were preventing you from eating other foods you need, like those with protein, or getting adequate fat, and some think fruit isn't optimal for muscle growth compared with, say, starches, but I doubt the difference is that significant. The issue would be not enough protein, rather than too much sugar, if this were the situation (or for some people, too many calories).
  • leximarie3
    leximarie3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love avocado. That is all.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    leximarie3 wrote: »
    I love avocado. That is all.

Better watch out...they make you fat apparently. lol

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    timwaagh wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're saying. Either way, the stuff in your other posts is wrong.
    No. If you'd follow me you could check my progress for myself. weight loss on a scale does not translate one-to-one to a calorie defecit.

Outside of temporary fluctuations, primarily in water retention....yes, it does.

There is no way around it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I have no idea what you're saying. Either way, the stuff in your other posts is wrong.
    No. If you'd follow me you could check my progress for myself. weight loss on a scale does not translate one-to-one to a calorie defecit. so you cannot 'prove' my scale wrong with a calorie to weight ratio. check your science.

if you start dieting, you might lose a lot fast because it's water. right now i'm losing a lot less (still good. lost 1.2 kg in the meantime). this is normal. but i guess i'm making a lot of people yealous here when i say 6 kg in a week.
    If you lost 6kg (13.2lbs) in one week then you lost mostly muscle weight... I doubt anyone here would be jealous of that...

Only if they were extremely lean to begin with. The only way to lose muscle weight that quickly is with a scalpel.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    The amount of derp that has been stuffed into this thread in only 2 pages is outstanding.
    This +1 honestly some of you are well bonkers.

The next two have been equally derpy.

I'm not lean because....sugar.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I get 80g of sugar from fruit alone. Is that too much?

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I just checked and I get 80g of sugar from fruit alone. Is that too much?

That would be less than 10% of my daily calorie intake so I would say no.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    80 grams is great!!
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options

I eat a lot of fruit. This morning it was
    1 banana
    15 grapes
    1 1/2c of watermelon
    7 strawberries
    1/2c frozen blueberries
    SMOOTHIE style, been doing it like this for quite sometime, its in my diary which is open.
    I have 28g of peanuts for a snack 2 hours later and if I can make another smoothie with fruit for lunch I do it. Lately ive had other stuff that needed to get eaten, so I havent been having a second smoothie for lunch.
    With all of that fruit I have lost from 203 to 191 since starting a little over 3 weeks ago.
    Nothing wrong with fruit. Burn more calories than you eat and BOOM, the pounds come off.
    Becca

Have a wonderful night everyone. :)

• pamherring62
    pamherring62 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Fruits are a healthy carbs, eaten in their natural forms. Personally, fruits help keep me from being hungry, gives me energy and keeps my sugar levels a lot more even. Again, don't overdo, and do count them as calories.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I don't eat a lot of fruit because of sugar and carbs, since I am diabetic. I do enjoy occasional bags of apple slices (I have some in the fridge right now) and will have all-fruit or sugar-free fruit spread in my plain yogurt every morning. Other than that, my carbs/sugars come from the things I enjoy more than a bitty piece of fruit that does little to fill me up or keep me full. If you can fit fruit into your diet and enjoy the taste, eat it. :)

You are diabetic and a dr told you to avoid fruit???? Not spread throughout the day, but actually avoid???

Where did I say that?

The bolded part. Which seems kind of the opposite from the usual recommended diet plan for diabetics.

I think she means that because she has a limited carb allowance she usually skips the fruit because she likes other carb-heavy things more and would rather spend her allowance on them.

^ Totally this. I am pretty sure I covered that when I said, "my carbs/sugars come from the things I enjoy more than a bitty piece of fruit that does little to fill me up or keep me full." I'm frequently amazed at how people here can skew something that is written and become outraged about it in order to start an argument. I don't like fruit all that much, but if the OP does and it fits into his/her macros, there's nothing wrong with eating it. I'm pretty sure I said that, too.

Oh, yes: here's the obligatory "natural doesn't mean 'good for you'" and "sugar is sugar; the body doesn't care about the source" claims, here. :)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    molaufy wrote: »
    Humans are supposed to eat 24 grams of sugar per day or less. Sugar stimulates appetite, promotes lethargy and turns into fat, if we overdo it. Hence, the reason to limit fruit.

Sugar almost never turns into fat. De novo lipogenesis is extremely inefficient in humans.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Molaufy is not entirely wrong. The American Heart Association says that people should limit themselves to about six teaspoons/100 calories of added sugar (women) or nine teaspoons/150 calories of added sugar (men) a day. That works out to about 25 grams for women and about 37.5 grams for men. The World Health Organization makes the same recommendation, but it is for all sugars, not added sugars. The Institute for Medicine, which sets the recommended daily allowances for nutrients in the United States, suggests that no more than 25 percent of an individual's daily calories come from added sugars. There's no absolutes when it comes to sugar. The WHO is by far the most restrictive.
  • Pelamblue
    Pelamblue Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Pelamblue wrote: »
    Guys!!! Carbs are not the e
    seska422 wrote: »
    Lets say you have 5 servings of fruit and each of those servings has 100 calories. If you are on a 1500 calorie a day diet, you've used up 1/3 of your calories for that day on fruit.

If you didn't count that fruit at all, then you've eaten 2000 calories when you only meant to eat 1500.
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I lost more than 6 kg in a week or so.

So you had a 54,000 Kcal deficit in a week? That's amazing!
    Please do share your secret!

eat little (fruit plus some dinner) and do lots of exercise (cycling, 44km on most work days). also, have your heart broken. the figure is just what the scale said so to translate that into a calorie figure is not accurate. besides 9000/kilo is on the high side. i've heard things like 7700.

Well, heartbreak is a well known way to lose weight. You know, crying all day, feeling constantly sick.. If you manage to cry while cycling, this will be super efficient for weight loss.

I think you may need help

I think you are the one who needs help, not recognising sarcasm sounds like a very serious health issue to me ;)

You can't help me.. as I'm clearly far far superior to your lower form of intellect.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I limit fruit for 3 reasons (in order of importance to me):
    1. I prefer veggies
    2. I need to lower carbs for medical reasons
    3. I need to lower calorie intake in order to lose weight