No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options

Replies

• donnamariemoon
    Options
    I set it as 20% of my diet and I am usually under but occassionally over. I would like to be able to eat a fruit a day and a serving of grain once in awhile (I can give up the morning TLC bar on the daily but like those or potato bread sometimes).

I think my goal was between 25 - 50 g per day but the better I feel without them the more open I am to suggestions....

Thanks
    I haven't known what percentage to give the fats. I started out 30/40/30 (carb protein fats) then saw I was going under on carbs but over on fats so much so changed it to 20/40/40. That is what I am set at now but honestly every day I still exceed the fat grams and I NEVER reach the protein grams so I could use help coming up with a good goal.

I have found myself resistant to upping the fat more because it seems "wrong" which I know is likely all the misinformation left over from the low fat culture I grew up in.

In the past when I have gone low carb I only focused on lowering the carbs, not on anything else. MFP has changed that. So....what do you suggest?

I am 147.5 as of this morning, 5'3. I am 41. I work out 6 days a week about 45 minutes on average. 2x a week is weight training, simple circuit training, one set. 4 x a week or more is cardio, elliptical, running, jumping rope, walking, swimming, or biking.

What do you suggest for my percentages? and help me not be afraid of fat (i.e. give me the science/reasons to up it) :-)
    Thanks
    Donna

Donna, read the suggestions I gave Mocha. It applies to anyone! since you gave me all your info i will see what i can come up with for ya. what is your goal on carbs? that's all i need to know.
  • donnamariemoon
    Options
    I haven't known what percentage to give the fats. I started out 30/40/30 (carb protein fats) then saw I was going under on carbs but over on fats so much so changed it to 20/40/40. That is what I am set at now but honestly every day I still exceed the fat grams and I NEVER reach the protein grams so I could use help coming up with a good goal.

I have found myself resistant to upping the fat more because it seems "wrong" which I know is likely all the misinformation left over from the low fat culture I grew up in.

In the past when I have gone low carb I only focused on lowering the carbs, not on anything else. MFP has changed that. So....what do you suggest?

I am 147.5 as of this morning, 5'3. I am 41. I work out 6 days a week about 45 minutes on average. 2x a week is weight training, simple circuit training, one set. 4 x a week or more is cardio, elliptical, running, jumping rope, walking, swimming, or biking.

What do you suggest for my percentages? and help me not be afraid of fat (i.e. give me the science/reasons to up it) :-)
    Thanks
    Donna

Donna, read the suggestions I gave Mocha. It applies to anyone! since you gave me all your info i will see what i can come up with for ya. what is your goal on carbs? that's all i need to know.

oh, i also need your hips, calf, thigh, and wrist measurements to help come up with your bodyfat percent. I'm going to do mine on that sight and see how accurate it is

I don't know all these and am at work. My hips are 39 inches, my waist is 31 inches if that helps? Or else I'll give you later....

Thanks!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I don't know what to set my Percentages at

I am not lean, not toned, but have 20 pounds of Fat to lose.

Protein
    Carbs
    Fat grams?

Thanks
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Kim 's formula is a good one:

Your weight X your body fat%= your precentage to subtract
    then ...
    Your current weight minus the precentage = your lean body weight

So one gram per lean body weight would be your protein ... then for low carb you should pick a number of grams 15-100g. 15g being extreme your body being in ketosis and 100g being the max for low carb. Most people do between 20-50g daily for rapid fat loss.

Whatever is left is the Fat grams ...

Kim- how long have you been at 40g or (trying or in) ketosis?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    For people that are wondering how many carbs to consume...........

Here is some information that may help some of you out.
    Carbohydrate intake is often the decisive factor in weight loss success and prevention of widespread health problems like Metabolic Syndrome, obesity and type 2 diabetes. These average daily intake levels assume that you are also getting sufficient protein and healthy fats, and are doing some amount of Primal exercise. The ranges in each zone account for individual metabolic differences.

0-50 grams per day:
    Ketosis and I.F. (Intermittent Fasting) zone. Excellent catalyst for rapid fat loss through I.F. Not recommended for prolonged periods (except in medically supervised programs for obese or Type 2 diabetics) due to unnecessary deprivation of plant foods.

50-100 grams per day:
    Sweet Spot for Weight Loss. Steadily drop excess body fat by minimizing insulin production. Enables 1-2 pounds per week of fat loss with satisfying, minimally restrictive meals.

100-150 grams per day:
    Primal Maintenance zone. Once you’ve arrived at your goal or ideal body composition, you can maintain it quite easily here while enjoying abundant vegetables, fruits and other Primal foods.

150-300 grams a day:
    Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades.

300+ grams a day:
    Danger Zone of average American diet. All but the most extreme exercisers will tend to produce excessive insulin and store excessive fat over the years at this intake level. Increases risk for obesity, Metabolic Syndrome and type 2 diabetes

Picture2.png
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

then ...

So one gram per lean body weight would be your protein ... then for low carb you should pick a number of grams 15-100g. 15g being extreme your body being in ketosis and 100g being the max for low carb. Most people do between 20-50g daily for rapid fat loss.

I did less than 40 grams starting thursday, and bumped it under 20 the last two days. I think I just now am in ketosis today. well, i used the strips and its said small for the last several days, and moderate today for the first time. so who knows. all i know is i feel great and i'm losing weight :)

I think I'm going to keep it under 20 for another week, and bump it up 10 carbs at a time until i find a good sweetspot (for me) to keep losing about 2-3 lbs a week.
  • MissKim
    Options
    The website is updated!

http://nograinnopain.weebly.com/index.html

If you need to make any changes, just send me a pm. i do make mistakes :) and that's alot of people to keep up with!
  • MissKim
    Options

then ...

my diary is open
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options

then ...

I did less than 40 grams starting thursday, and bumped it under 20 the last two days. I think I just now am in ketosis today. well, i used the strips and its said small for the last several days, and moderate today for the first time. so who knows. all i know is i feel great and i'm losing weight :)

I think I'm going to keep it under 20 for another week, and bump it up 10 carbs at a time until i find a good sweetspot (for me) to keep losing about 2-3 lbs a week.

The folks on ZeroCarb say that after being in ketosis for a long time they eventually don't spill ketones in their urine. Apparently they become keto adapted and use all the ketones. Some of them are runners and work to get faster and faster. Apparently they've got some energy!!
  • Grokette
    Options
    The website is updated!

http://nograinnopain.weebly.com/index.html

If you need to make any changes, just send me a pm. i do make mistakes :) and that's alot of people to keep up with!

Hey, my goal weight is 120.........
  • Grokette
    Options

then ...

The folks on ZeroCarb say that after being in ketosis for a long time they eventually don't spill ketones in their urine. Apparently they become keto adapted and use all the ketones. Some of them are runners and work to get faster and faster. Apparently they've got some energy!!

Yes, I find the same thing to be true. I vary in carb ranges daily from 0 carbs myself up to about 45. The lower the carb range, the more energy I have.
  • Cletc
    Options

then ...

So one gram...... per lean body weight........... = protein ...

Does this mean Protein 1 gram per 1 pound Lean Body Weight?

My question is the pound. right? thx
  • heniko
    Options
    Yes one gram per one pound. As I saidKim's formula is basic and easy to understand. But before i was using the MDA frame.
  • Cletc
    Options
    Yes one gram per one pound. As I saidKim's formula is basic and easy to understand. But before i was using the MDA frame.

Thank you
    and
    wow that seems like a lot of protein, but I'll see how it goes.
    :-)
  • heniko
    Options
    It seemed like it to me at first but after 3m now it's doable - it's like a few eggs for brekkie, protein for lunch and another serving for dinner. Beef, liver and turkey seem to have the most protein. You can load up eggs, yoghurt, cheeses and even protein powder if you use them. Good luck and let us know how it is for you!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Didn't do weights today but I that's only cause I was outside all day building playgrounds for kids. All that hammering, moving wood, and drilling has made me feel like I was lifting elephants all day.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

then ...

Kim - how many calories do you base you percentages on. I'm doing 10/25/65 (c/p/f) and 1500 calories. But I have a feeling 1500 is too high.

What is everyone else doing for calories? Are you counting? Not counting??
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

Thank you
    and
    wow that seems like a lot of protein, but I'll see how it goes.
    :-)

Mark from Primal says .7-1 gram per lean body mass is acceptable. So if you think 1 gram per lb is too much, like me, do close to .7.
  • Cletc
    Options
    Oh I didn't know about the 0.7 but instinctively this morning I set my protein % to what comes to 0.7.
    It just made sense to me
    I still haven't come close. Wow.

Thanks for your help !
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What is everyone else doing for calories? Are you counting? Not counting??

I was set at 1200 by MFP from January to April. I hit a plateau in March for about 8 weeks, so I increased it to 1300. I did start to lose again with 1300-1400, but it is really hard for me to eat that much food in one day, so now I just go with what my body says-anywhere from 1000-1400 most days. It is not something I count really anymore. I am more concerned with hitting my protein, fat and staying under on carbs. I think mine is set to 15/25/60.

Didn't lift weights yesterday or today :( Yesterday we were preparing for our town junk day. It is the one day for the year we can set out garbage/household items the truck doesn't normally take. I have been waiting for this day for about 9 months now. Last June/July our basement flooded. We had a complete finished basement, with 5 rooms full of furniture that was all ruined. We had to tear out the new walls we had put up for the hubby's man cave. It was horrible losing half of the square footage in our house. We were left with quite a mess-mold and sewage. The town's pumps failed and the sewers backed up all of our drains too. Since I had left my job, we couldn't afford to pay almost 500 dollars for a dumpster, so we tried to clean up as much as possible and leave the rest until junk day. So, yesterday, I lifted 2 couches, 2 loveseats, a recliner, coffee tables, bookselves, a massive desk and a lot of other crap out to the road for the trucks to pick up. I couldn't believe how strong I was, lol. I never got winded or had any pains. Then I weeded out the flower bed. But today, some how this afternoon (didn't do anything that I can recall) I got a pinched nerve in my back between my shoulder blades, ouch!! So, I gave up cleaning and decided to take a rest day, only because my youngest son has a fieldtrip to the waterpark tomorrow!! I wanted to be able to enjoy it with him and not have to stay home in bed. But, I am so happy being within 10 pounds of my goal by the fieldtrip!! But we are going to get back to going to the gym tomorrow evening!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful day and an even better one tomorrow!!! Oh, and thanks for all the info for figuring out the ratios (c/p/f), very helpful!!