Sugar free detox

has anyone ever done a sugar free detox? How did it go? Did u go back to the sugar? Did you find recipes easy to make? Did you like your food?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Your body detoxes by itself.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Honestly you might want to clarify what you mean by detox because its a subject that gets the posters here very excited.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    You mean quitting sugar for a while?

Yup. It went fine. I didn't eat it for a very long time, but if you're looking to do it in order to cut back, it's not necessary to give it up for more than a few weeks.

It changed my taste, and I was satisfied with a much less sweet taste after that, and also with much less in the amount of sweet things it took to satisfy me.

I no longer liked milk chocolate (with an exception or two), I preferred dark chocolate.

I eat small amounts of sugary treats now in moderation.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    With very few (severe) exceptions, you need sugar.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Well, to be fair, your body could digest vegetables and you would get the glucose from them. You don't HAVE to eat cookies.

That being said, I would not want a life without cookies.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

Yup. It went fine. I didn't eat it for a very long time, but if you're looking to do it in order to cut back, it's not necessary to give it up for more than a few weeks.

It changed my taste, and I was satisfied with a much less sweet taste after that, and also with much less in the amount of sweet things it took to satisfy me.

I no longer liked milk chocolate (with an exception or two), I preferred dark chocolate.

I don't want to not like milk chocolate! :tongue:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Honestly you might want to clarify what you mean by detox because its a subject that gets the posters here very excited.

This
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    I am wanting to detox from all add sugar. Natural sugar found in fruit and veg is fine but the box of candys I throw away and things like salda dressing that are high I would like to get rid of. I eat way over what I should. I am wanting to do the fed up 10 day sugar detox.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    So you want to do a mockumentary based plan ... good luck.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    I'm going to put sugar on my Lucky Charms after I lift tomorrow. Just because.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Because they're not magically delicious enough?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    Because they're not magically delicious enough?
    Oh, they are.

I've been eating a lot of brown rice because I didn't often have the calorie room for the milk that I need with Lucky Charms. Now that I do, I'm taking advantage.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Yes I want to stop for a bit of refined sugar and reduce the amount of extra sugar get to a whole food diet. Not all sugar. Sugar is just so bad for us and we aren't meant to have as much as I have been eating.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    I order The 21 day Sugar detox cookbook: over 100 recipes for any program level. To use as my guide
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Yes I want to stop for a bit of refined sugar and reduce the amount of extra sugar get to a whole food diet. Not all sugar. Sugar is just so bad for us and we aren't meant to have as much as I have been eating.

The body cannot tell the difference between natural and added sugars. The part in bold tells me you believe fear mongering.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Our bodies need sugar to survive. It isn't bad for us. And don't go, "There's a difference in fruit sugar and candy sugar!" because I promise I'll stop listening.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I am wanting to detox from all add sugar. Natural sugar found in fruit and veg is fine but the box of candys I throw away and things like salda dressing that are high I would like to get rid of. I eat way over what I should. I am wanting to do the fed up 10 day sugar detox.

Why would you want to purposefully avoid foods that you enjoy and taste good? How about just cut back and count your calories instead?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member

I have a sugar detox program. Every time I eat sugar and serum levels get too high it triggers the sugar detox system to pull the sugar out of the bloodstream. It's all automatic, so pretty easy on my part.

So to clarify, sugar isn't bad for us. It's perfectly fine for me.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    I order The 21 day Sugar detox cookbook: over 100 recipes for any program level. To use as my guide

Well you've already given them your money, so they've accomplished their goal. I can only advise you to return it for a refund, and work on simply limiting your caloric intake by paying attention to what you eat and how much you move, or you will be "detoxing" again next year about this time.
  • Fancy_Nancy2

This is what I am going for. I love sweets so much! I had really bad pregnancy diabetes I have been advised to cut my sugar way back. It's why I throw out our candy box as I would grab and eat it to much.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015

I think this is a scam. I have an insane number of cookbooks, and yet very few of them have sugar in the recipes other than in the dessert section. Yeah, some tomato sauce recipes use sugar and my standard rhubarb sauce recipe does and cranberry sauce (although who makes that in April?) and various things use honey, but really only a small portion of the recipes would have a thing to do with sugar, and modifying them is pretty easy and obvious. The idea that we need a special cookbook so as not to accidentally include sugar in, I dunno, salmon en papillotte is so weird.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

The body cannot tell the difference between natural and added sugars. The part in bold tells me you believe fear mongering.

Yup.

OP, if you think you are having a hard time moderating sweets (not sugar, apparently, but specific dessert foods), I don't think it would hurt to try cutting them out for a while. Depending on what your issues with them are some people do well "resetting" their palates or (for me) simply their habits. It also might be that you'd do better keeping them in if you feel deprived without them, but simply going for single servings and maybe not keeping them in the house or wherever it is you tend to eat them. (I eat them excessively at work, so had to learn to live with them around. I don't tend to over-indulge in sweets at home, for whatever reason.)

The reason you are getting flack is that the whole "sugar is the devil!" rhetoric of Fed Up is ridiculous and none of this has a thing to do with detoxing.

I personally did cut out sweets for a while, though (later added them back in moderation), and found it not particularly hard and helpful for me.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    has anyone ever done a sugar free detox? How did it go? Did u go back to the sugar? Did you find recipes easy to make? Did you like your food?
    Yep I did. It was hard for a week....bad mood and fatigue, but now I'm so happy I did it because for me it completely reset my appetite. I started 6 weeks ago, and I'm still on it, because I'm really enjoying the results. And the food is delicious!
    I have been aiming for 50g net carbs (carbs - fiber).

• Justygirl77
    I would say that, for a true detox from sugar, you would need to pull all carbs from your diet, except for those found in non-starchy veggies, a small serving of lentils/black beans per day, nuts. I made this change in my diet, then after a few weeks of getting used to buying/preparing/eating this diet, I also fine-tuned the amount of net carbs I was taking in.
    At any rate, whenever you lower the amount of carbs you normally eat, your appetite/blood sugar are likely to need a day or two to adjust.

• Justygirl77
    In addition, if you give yourself a full 2 weeks at least, you will find that your sense of taste has adjusted to appreciating your new way of eating ...taste buds are replaced within 2 weeks, and the new ones set for the amount of sugar you are eating....your simpler foods taste delicious to you.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    You need sugar to survive... And, I just leave it to my liver and kidneys to detox. After all, there's a few hundred thousand years behind their successful design.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    I think the use of the word "detox" is a strong word - almost to a fault - detox is really referring to a medical situation that involves de-coupling the body from the use and abuse of alcohol - since the liver is over-taxed in metabolizing it from the body anytime it's abused.

I did reduce my sugar intake over a year ago and ever since, I feel great, lost 57# of pure fat, and will never go back to it. I used to be a chocolatier, so yeah, I got so used to trying all of my stuff that I didn't even realize how much I was eating - and that carried over once I sold the business in 2009.

Sugar requires "chewing resistance" as it metabolizes in the body so it doesn't store as fat so easily. That means eating sources like fruit - or making something that has enough fiber to mitigate its effects. Take potatoes, there's something called "resistant starch" that is created when a potato is left to cool for up to 2 hours after cooking. Reheat that potato and the chewing resistance of that potato is increased significantly.

Bottom line - find ways to reduce your intake through reducing/eliminating processed foods and eating natural sources - and I think you will find the happy medium you are seeking.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    You need sugar to survive... And, I just leave it to my liver and kidneys to detox. After all, there's a few hundred thousand years behind their successful design.

Just wish the engineers had been a little less obsessed with that, and worked on a better design for the female reproductive system.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Sugar to survive? Really? LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

do you have a medical condition that makes you sensitive to sugar?

If not, then there is no reason to avoid it.