Documentary Fed up

Options

Replies

• SallyinIL
    SallyinIL Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The real problem with added sugar is that it increases the calorie density of food while the visual and fullness clues indicate that people have eaten less than they have. But we can't blame it all on the food industry.
    Yes. This.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just saw a documentary stating the opposite. That people are exercising but it won't do any good and that somehow counting calories is impossible. I stopped watching about 20 minutes in because it was very uninformed.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    laropmet wrote: »
    And many children are obese because their parents are a bad example.

I think this is what everyone means when they talk about genetics making them fat. For years I went around saying my whole family is fat, they are all diabetic and prone to heart disease why fight the inevitable. It's completely true....except for the one relative who has been the exact same size since high school. Is he the genetic anomaly, or (more likely), is he the one who doesn't eat like junk food is on sale. He doesn't have a particularly healthy diet, he eats a lot of pastry based food. But he does eat it in much smaller amounts than i do.

There is a genetic component to the problem, but most of us can overcome our genetics, if we really want to. What I find interesting is that children are becoming obese sooner. In some families, the typical thing used to be that the children were thin, but when they reached adulthood, they developed obesity. Now, those same families have children who are obese. I don't think our genetics have changed that quickly. Often, the similarities in families is due to a similar attitude toward diet and exercise. That may be due to genetics, but it can also be a learned behavior.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    I'm actually watching it right now. I think it's very accurate. When I review my diet for the weeks when I haven't lost weight, I'm usually under my calories every day, but over on fat and sugars.

I respectfully disagree. I have lost 30 lbs. since January. Almost every day or every other day I am wayyyyyyyyy over "goal" on sugars. As in double the "recommended" amount or more.

• Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or satiation,"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150422221410.htm
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Toblave wrote: »
    "Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or satiation,"

<--Over 100 grams of sugar a day, not hungry and I pick the cookie crumbs out of my abz
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There was a lot of truth in the facts, but not in how it was presented, and it was pretty clear that they were so dead set on attacking the food industry and their lobbyists that they blatantly misdirected and cherry-picked information to support their message. Yeah, eating a diet high in simple sugars can lead a 'skinny' person to have high visceral fat, which can cause 'obese' diseases, but total body fat IS as simple as CICO. Yes, simple sugars will cause stronger hunger signals much sooner, and added sugars add unnecessary calories, and the combination of the two leads many people to drastically overeating, but they are still just calories. The 'documentary' only briefly touched on the idea of not being able to out exercise a bad diet, and completely ignored how many calories the family on the 'sugar detox' were cutting, since it wouldn't support their message concerning CICO being a lie. I've seen more comprehensive and clear presentations on healthy diet choices made by 4th graders.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

IIRC, if you follow the cites for that lovely little gem about sugar calories, you end up with a paper co-authored by Robert Lustig. (This is not the first time that BSJ article has been discussed)

I'll let the other esteemed posters here have a field day with that tidbit of information. I have a migraine and don't feel up to it. The bottom line is that Lustig is an idiot.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

<--Over 100 grams of sugar a day, not hungry and I pick the cookie crumbs out of my abz

Boom goes the dynamite.

• kellysdavies
    kellysdavies Posts: 160 Member
    Options
  • Addiewe
    Addiewe Posts: 65 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My husband and I watched this documentary together a couple nights ago. We both walked away with a different impressions. He is now pretty convinced that sugar is "evil" and refused to even drink milk today because the label said 11 g of sugar. I did not get that impression from the program. My impression was that they were wanting people to stop and think about added sugar. I also did not come to the conclusion that all sugar turn to fat, instead what I understood it to be was that unused sugar would turn to fat. I don't know how true that is, but the thought of it makes me think before binging. I actually found a lot of interesting information, especially about children in the schools, being that I have two that eat public school lunches. I spoke with the kids later and did find that they are eating worse than I thought. So this did help open up discussion.

While the documentary might not have been completely accurate, I am glad that I watched it because it did help me to stop and think a little bit more about what's in the foods that I put in my mouth. I got fat quickly and the majority of my calories did in fact come from sugar as I was a soda
    and candy junkie. I do like that they put great emphasis on eating foods that are whole and from nature. I do think that if we did that more often than not, our society as a whole would be much more healthy.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    lynndot1 wrote: »

just found what im making myself for mothers day
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I haven't watched it yet but I'm interested in seeing it. I'm a big believer of food in moderation whether it's sweets or protein or whatever so I can't see myself buying into "sugar is the devil". I can eat a pint of ice cream and still lose weight, it's no big deal as long as I don't do it every night or even every other night LOL, but the devil there is calories not sugar. BUT, and this may be totally irrelevant since I haven't watched the "documentary" yet, I will say that American food has a lot of added sugar or is just overly sweet in general. Just look at what we use for daily bread. That stuff is sweet but it's perfectly normal to us unless you happen to live near an honest to god bakery.

Edited to add clarity.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    All I can say is my results speak for themselves.

I do not limit sugar. I do not limit fats. I do not limit carbs. I want to enjoy the foods I eat.

I do limit calories, and because I don't want to spend the day starving, I do choose the most nutritious foods I can for my meals. When I have calories to play with I indulge in treat foods.

All that said...I eat French vanilla Greek Yogurt. Yes it's high in sugar but it's also got 19g of protein. I do not like plain yogurt and will not force myself to eat it because it has less sugar. I eat sugary cereals for a quick 100 calorie snack. I eat ice cream for a snack and pick up some protein and calcium to boot. I occasionally have soda because I want it, and I limit myself usually to just 100 calorie servings.

I do go over my sugar "guideline goals" ALL THE TIME.

YET I'VE STILL LOST 30 POUNDS IN THREE MONTHS TIME. Look at my diary. You'll see that most days I do come really close to my macros. I'm happy if I get more than 45g of protein (I know before I was eating a heckuva lot less and I always felt awfully sluggish.) I meet or exceed my calcium and iron macros often. I can't control the amount of potassium cause so many foods don't list it in their nutrition info. I make sure I get at least 25g of fiber a day.

TL;DR: I'm eating better than I ever have in my LIFE and I FEEL GREAT and I LOOK GREAT and I have more energy than I did when I weight 175.....and I don't give a FLIP how much sugar I eat (almost always over goal) as long as I'm meeting my other macros. (Fat is often low and I'm trying to eat more fat but sometimes it's hard.)

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there was sugar in the peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream I just had. And in plenty of stuff I've eaten for the last year. Yet, I'm down about 105 pounds.

Did I hear peach cobbler??
    Imagine the best crust you've ever had. Double that. Add some cinnamon sugar. Then add in some homegrown tree-ripened peaches preserved from last summer. Not as epic as fresh, maybe, but good enough to make anything on the shelves of a grocery store weep in shame.

Plus homemade ice cream with some Madagascar and some Mexican vanilla.

And it's not even summer yet.

omg, so yumm!!

I made pears poached in wine with vanilla marscapone the other day, I'll also still lose weight.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

This is my new favorite sugar quote...
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there was sugar in the peach cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream I just had. And in plenty of stuff I've eaten for the last year. Yet, I'm down about 105 pounds.

Did I hear peach cobbler??
    Imagine the best crust you've ever had. Double that. Add some cinnamon sugar. Then add in some homegrown tree-ripened peaches preserved from last summer. Not as epic as fresh, maybe, but good enough to make anything on the shelves of a grocery store weep in shame.

Plus homemade ice cream with some Madagascar and some Mexican vanilla.

And it's not even summer yet.

That sounds… so good…

yum.gif

Yeah, that’s all I got out of this.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Addiewe wrote: »
    I also did not come to the conclusion that all sugar turn to fat, instead what I understood it to be was that unused sugar would turn to fat. I don't know how true that is, but the thought of it makes me think before binging.

Excess calories, no matter what kind of food they come from, turn into fat. Not just excess sugar.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I do not limit sugar. I do not limit fats. I do not limit carbs. I want to enjoy the foods I eat.

I do limit calories...

If you're limiting calories you're by definition limiting carbs and fats.
This discussion has been closed.