The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I also had a co-worker tell me a while back (before I started eating less) about the miracles of Gluten-free. Even handed me a book I had to read. He was CERTAIN that my problem was gluten (and not calories).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    @Alatariel75, I'm eating my cottage cheese with chopped veggies and sriracha right now.

OMG. I'm having a mouthgasm. Thank you for the idea.

Hmmm, I may have to pop down to the Asian grocery store (a mighty 3 min walk) for some sriracha!

I do a 50/50 mix of cottage cheese and avocado, with tabasco, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt. Om nom nom.

So out of nowhere recently I have gone off sriracha and on to tabasco. I used to pretty much gag from the vinegar and now I will just inhale it and sigh. Broscience that, people.

You were born on a cusp and your moon is in retrograde?

Ah, of course!!! Libra is my rising sign and my house of hot sauce has squared to Pegasus. Oh and my blood type is now AB-.

I actually do not remember my blood type at this time. Is that bad?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I also had a co-worker tell me a while back (before I started eating less) about the miracles of Gluten-free. Even handed me a book I had to read. He was CERTAIN that my problem was gluten (and not calories).

Lol it's always gluten the problem, if you listen to some people...
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of people eliminate carbs; that doesn't qualify as "broscience".

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Edmonton Proud!!! Well, Leduc proud, but close enough right?
    Leduc is perfectly acceptable.
    What I'm more curious about is where is the line when you stop being associated with Edmonton and start being associated with Calgary. Where is that line? LOL

Red Deer. It's the point where you get to pick any flight you want since YYC and YEG are the same distance.

*snerk* I was going to say Red Deer. Do you think people who are from South Red Deer associate with Calgary, and North Red Deer associates with Edmonton?
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I had a very-overweight person tell me last week that I shouldn't be steaming my green beans because it kills all the nutrients in them, therefore making them "as bad as junk food".
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lots of people eliminate carbs; that doesn't qualify as "broscience".

As my mother would say, "If your friends jumped off the High Level bridge, would you do it too?" Just because it's popular right now does not mean it's good science. Or even good. We have three macro-nutrients and many, many micro-nutrients. I won't find many people who would argue over the necessity of a micro-nutrient, say, Vitamin D. So why do people think that the answer to their diet woes is to eliminate an entire macro-nutrient?

Besides, chances are they'll get it wrong. They'll cut breads and pastas but keep eating yams and fruit. And wonder why their carb numbers are still so high.

When I was diabetic, a well-meaning bunkmate at a women's retreat brought me a big bag of "sugar free" candies. I took one look at the nutrition label and rejected them. First ingredient? Glucose. Her nose was seriously out of joint. Oh well. I wasn't going to flake out on a sugar high just so she wouldn't be offended in her ignorance.

Edmonton Proud!!! Well, Leduc proud, but close enough right?
    Leduc is perfectly acceptable.
    What I'm more curious about is where is the line when you stop being associated with Edmonton and start being associated with Calgary. Where is that line? LOL

Red Deer. It's the point where you get to pick any flight you want since YYC and YEG are the same distance.

*snerk* I was going to say Red Deer. Do you think people who are from South Red Deer associate with Calgary, and North Red Deer associates with Edmonton?

LOL... I don't know. I lived south of the river when I lived there but still went up to Edmonton much more than to Calgary. That being said, I went to Kananaskis a lot, too.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    @Alatariel75, I'm eating my cottage cheese with chopped veggies and sriracha right now.

Hmmm, I may have to pop down to the Asian grocery store (a mighty 3 min walk) for some sriracha!

I do a 50/50 mix of cottage cheese and avocado, with tabasco, lemon juice, garlic and sea salt. Om nom nom.

So out of nowhere recently I have gone off sriracha and on to tabasco. I used to pretty much gag from the vinegar and now I will just inhale it and sigh. Broscience that, people.

You were born on a cusp and your moon is in retrograde?

Ah, of course!!! Libra is my rising sign and my house of hot sauce has squared to Pegasus. Oh and my blood type is now AB-.

I actually do not remember my blood type at this time. Is that bad?

Only if you need a transfusion before you can look it up.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

How awesome is it?! Glad to help :smiley:
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

All that vinegar is why I loathe tabasco. I hate vinegar, except in rare circumstances. Some balsamics are okay.

• Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is (or possibly just claims to be. I have my suspicions) gluten intolerant who will complain relentlessly about how bloated he is after a single bite of a croissant, but then he'll eat a whole box of sushi with no complaints (for those who don't know, sushi rice is also known glutenous rice. For a reason).

The same friend will complain in the same breath that he's too fat and that he doesn't eat enough.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Glowiie1 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is (or possibly just claims to be. I have my suspicions) gluten intolerant who will complain relentlessly about how bloated he is after a single bite of a croissant, but then he'll eat a whole box of sushi with no complaints (for those who don't know, sushi rice is also known glutenous rice. For a reason).

The same friend will complain in the same breath that he's too fat and that he doesn't eat enough.

Next time you have sushi with him, wait til he's about 3 or 4 pieces in, and ask if he read about sushi place getting sued for not disclosing that glutenous rice contains gluten, and how ridiculous all these lawsuits are where people sue over basic common sense. See if he finishes his lunch.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

Glutinous rice doesn't have gluten in it. It means it's sticky and has to do with the starch content.

(I have celiac disease.)

Saying that? Why is he biting croissants if he has a gluten issue?

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    There is now a ketchup with sriracha in it. I like the balsamic vinegar ketchup the best, but hubby loves the sriracha one!

They have health days with nurses and nutritionists that come around to our office every few months. I think it helps keep the broscience down to a dull murmur, at least. I'm now in the least brosciencey office I've ever worked in. We mostly have people of 2 kinds: those who care about fitness and weight, and work out and know their calorie counts, and those who don't care, and eat in ways that keeps them large. I honestly don't think I've heard "cleanse" in the entire nearly 12 years I have worked there.
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Glutinous rice doesn't have gluten in it. It means it's sticky and has to do with the starch content.

(I have celiac disease.)

Wow! I'm really glad I posted this! Thanks for the education on that!

Personally I don't think he is gluten intolerant. He started claiming gluten intolerance only because he said he was having trouble losing weight (no idea where he heard that either ). That was quite literally the only reason, so I tend to think he's just looking for an excuse for being fat than actually dealing with eating/drinking issues.
  • PeachyCarol
    edited April 2015
    Options

(I have celiac disease.)

Wow! I'm really glad I posted this! Thanks for the education on that!

Personally I don't think he is gluten intolerant. He started claiming gluten intolerance only because he said he was having trouble losing weight (no idea where he heard that either ). That was quite literally the only reason, so I tend to think he's just looking for an excuse for being fat than actually dealing with eating/drinking issues.

Well... the rice may be gluten free but, I should have expounded on my answer. Sushi isn't necessarily. The vinegar often has gluten in it. Fake crab? Gluten. The sesame seeds used are often mixed with wheat to keep them separate. And let's not even begin to talk about cross-contamination issues from tempura crumbs and soy sauce.

So, yeah, the rice is okay, but everything else? Um, if he has a true gluten issue, he should avoid sushi unless the restaurant often caters to a gluten-free clientele and knows what it's doing.

I've eaten sushi and had no issue, and have eaten sushi and been glutened. It's a minefield.

• Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been so entertained by this thread. This might have nothing to do with it but I thought it was a funny coincidence . At dictionary.com the word of the day is:
    piffle
    noun
    1.nonsense, as trivial or senseless talk.
    verb (used without object), piffled, piffling.
    2.to talk nonsense.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I had a very-overweight person tell me last week that I shouldn't be steaming my green beans because it kills all the nutrients in them, therefore making them "as bad as junk food".

The think flaws, they burn! Owwww.

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    A lady I know won't buy any more fresh farm eggs from us because most of them are double yolkers. Double yolkers are bad because they have double the cholesterol and so they are bad eggs. She had to throw away half of the eggs last time. Seriously....that's what she told me.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A lady I know won't buy any more fresh farm eggs from us because most of them are double yolkers. Double yolkers are bad because they have double the cholesterol and so they are bad eggs. She had to throw away half of the eggs last time. Seriously....that's what she told me.

*facepalm* I always get super excited when I get a double yolker.
  • amygatl
    amygatl Posts: 12 Member
    Options

gothchiq wrote: »
    There is now a ketchup with sriracha in it. I like the balsamic vinegar ketchup the best, but hubby loves the sriracha one!

I'll just leave this here...

ji7juk0hykrt.jpg