When should a school intervene? Never? (school lunch issue)

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Zaftique wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The school should have a policy on what foods are allowed to be eaten there.

If a child isn't fed a nutrional diet it is neglect.

you can tell an entire child's diet from ONE bag of doritos and ONE can of red bull?

I'm impressed- can you tell me the lotto numbers for next week too?

PS- don't look at my weekend. It pretty much looks like I straight up had a weekend fling affair with the Debil.

You know- because Sugar = Debil.

Man.. the number of times I gave away my 'healthy' food in order to buy ice cream sandwiches for lunch... Super glad I wasn't living now, where my parents would be hauled away for perceived neglect. ^_^ Still managed to win a lot of track & field medals, guess that 'junk food' wasn't making much of a dent in my health.

This post sums it up for me. Ate ice cream sandwiches and won life. :mrgreen:

Hovering over and coddling our own children has become the societal standard to such a degree that we are now hovering over and coddling other people's children. Because we somehow feel justified in telling other people how to live their lives and raise their children. And justified in doing things like calling CPS to rip apart a family because their children were walking down the street without their parents (for example).

It's ridiculous to be on such a high horse as to tell other parents how good or bad a job they are doing. People need some degree of struggle and hardship in order to grow and develop properly, both as children and as adults.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    jorinya wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    However, none of the above has anything to do with someone stepping in and parenting other people's children for them. It's nunya. Take care of your own kids.

Excuse me but I do take care of my kids and some that don't have food to eat. I take care of their parents too. Where I am the people still believe that it takes a community to raise a child. I share my food with the less privileged so as not to waste it. I give water to those I see nearby who are thirsty and don't have any money to buy for themselves. I am no Mother Theresa but I try my best to help out especially with the kids in the school my kids attend. Sometimes other parents need a hand sometime and helping is not illegal, that's why there are social workers and councillors.

do you find the wind messes up your hair at that altitude?

Yeah, that was my thought too-also are there no drinking fountains around or places with free water (like every restaurant), that someone has to provide water for others? My gosh where has allz the water gone?!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    i'm surprised that the energy drink is allowed at an elementary school and frankly that bothers me.... Here we aren't even allowed soda at schools (but for some reason high sugar "fake" juices are allowed)....

I think elementary and middle schools should be monitored pretty closely as far as what food and drinks are allowed, then once high school comes around let the kids start to figure it out and put what we've taught them to the test.

I'm in the camp of who cares about the doritos, the energy drink would make me very uncomfortable.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    Fascinating thread of ad hominems, red herrings and fallacious arguments. On one side we have busy bodies, snitches, too many cooks and on the other negligent and abusive parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrGrOK8oZG8

I . . .I love you
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    i'm surprised that the energy drink is allowed at an elementary school and frankly that bothers me.... Here we aren't even allowed soda at schools (but for some reason high sugar "fake" juices are allowed)....

I think elementary and middle schools should be monitored pretty closely as far as what food and drinks are allowed, then once high school comes around let the kids start to figure it out and put what we've taught them to the test.

I'm in the camp of who cares about the doritos, the energy drink would make me very uncomfortable.

It does make me question whether this question was intentionally invented to make people reply due to the energy drink, but then be attacked for playing food police over doritos. It's too convenient. Doritos and Pepsi, probably a lot less people would care.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »

It does make me question whether this question was intentionally invented to make people reply due to the energy drink, but then be attacked for playing food police over doritos. It's too convenient. Doritos and Pepsi, probably a lot less people would care.

funny how the energy drink got ignored in most of the posts.

I freaking love energy drinks. But I don't want my kid drinking them...and therefore I won't drink them....

although my 2 year old asked me for coffee this morning....
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    randomtai wrote:
    This is why I want to home school my children. Too many busy body (sic) people.
    You mean, people who are concerned that a child doesn't have adequate supervision & education,
    is consistently eating junk instead of a nutritious breakfast, and is having a drink which could cause
    serious health problems?
    That's not being a busybody, that's showing concern for the child. More people need to do it.
    you're one of those people who call police every time you see a child in the car alone don't you? Mom's going to do jail time for "neglect" or labelled as negligent offenders because they ran inside rite aid to get toilet paper while their child who hasn't slept all day is finally asleep in the car.

not every case is one of "concern for the child" it really is being a busy body.

Why do police have so much power they only go to school for six months yet screw up so many lives with a simple ticket or arrest often times for BS!! I think their power hungry no one pulled over should get out of a ticket its not their job at that point. They saw a crime and should ticket not play judge jury and prosecuter on the side of the road to satisfy some perceived power they have given themselves?? WTF. I use to support the police but now creating traffic jams to stop everyone just to check if u have a license F-Them this is my city and I Vote!!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    randomtai wrote:
    This is why I want to home school my children. Too many busy body (sic) people.
    You mean, people who are concerned that a child doesn't have adequate supervision & education,
    is consistently eating junk instead of a nutritious breakfast, and is having a drink which could cause
    serious health problems?
    That's not being a busybody, that's showing concern for the child. More people need to do it.
    you're one of those people who call police every time you see a child in the car alone don't you? Mom's going to do jail time for "neglect" or labelled as negligent offenders because they ran inside rite aid to get toilet paper while their child who hasn't slept all day is finally asleep in the car.

not every case is one of "concern for the child" it really is being a busy body.

Why do police have so much power they only go to school for six months yet screw up so many lives with a simple ticket or arrest often times for BS!! I think their power hungry no one pulled over should get out of a ticket its not their job at that point. They saw a crime and should ticket not play judge jury and prosecuter on the side of the road to satisfy some perceived power they have given themselves?? WTF. I use to support the police but now creating traffic jams to stop everyone just to check if u have a license F-Them this is my city and I Vote!!

11a8FLrVeoLnna.gif
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    I would not intervene because you don't know the whole situation to judge. I would try to get a garden started at the school, if there isn't one already. Every child should have the opportunity to learn where their food comes from.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    Don't do it. And don't judge. At least this kid has food. She probably packs her own food, from what is in the home. I doubt anyone packs her lunch, or even pays much attention to her.

Some kids just survive childhood.

That is so sad, so if the parents don't care the teacher shouldn't either?

You can care about kids, without alienating parents and creating problems. Offer the child a banana. Make a classroom assignment to write food eaten for each meal for three days, and look at the assignments, is the Doritos and Red Bull a part of a day with pot roast and veggies for dinner?

We don't know. The worst thing is to create defensive environment with parents. If food problems are an issue, it should be referred to social work and the school nurse to review and approach a parent. My job is to teach, not be the "food police".
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    When the OP says that the child comes to school eating Doritos and energy drinks, am I to assume that this is out on campus before the start of the school day? My school does not allow students to walk into classrooms eating though we do serve free and reduced-price breakfast to qualified kids. If that is the case, the issue is not the Doritos, per se, but having food out at all. As for the health qualities of food brought to school, my only interaction with parents regarding food is to request that the parents of my yearbook students help me stock my classroom with nutritious snacks for late afternoon work times. I give examples of granola bars, nuts, etc. and say that I would prefer not to have a lot of candy and chips. I've never had a complaint.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member

We don't know. The worst thing is to create defensive environment with parents. If food problems are an issue, it should be referred to social work and the school nurse to review and approach a parent. My job is to teach, not be the "food police".

In Germany we only call social services if a child is being seriously mistreated and I as a normal teacher wouldn't even be allowed to do so. I'd have to tell the principal if I think a child is being abused and he can choose to inform child services. German schools also don't have school nurses - what do they do in America? We have school psychologists but usually you share one between 2-5 schools and they're not "real" psychologists, they only did an extra course at uni.

I understand things are different in different countries but over here it's not just "teaching" that's our job but preparing kids for life and part of it is watching out for their health. You don't have to be "food police" or fat-shame these kids. But ignoring these things doesn't really help.
  • SophieKean90
    SophieKean90 Posts: 52 Member
    Im from the UK so not sure how old a second grader is... im guessing about 6-7 in which case that is atrocious!

But htis post made me think about a girl in my year when we were about 11-12, her mum would give her £5 each morning for breakfast as she seemed to struggle to get herself and her daughter to work each morning. This girl was TINY but with that £5 each morning she bought a fizzy drink, a large pack of fresh baked sugar coated filled doughnuts and a side snack like crisps or chocolate or fresh baked smarties cookies or something. Needless to say, she wasnt teeny tiny for very long, and she currently has to order her clothes online due to poor choices starting 13-14 years ago.

Could you do a healthy eating lesson?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Personally I think the whole issue about schools "policing" kids' food is laughable at best. When my kids were in elementary school they stopped allowing the kids to eat candy at the Halloween party that was held at the last half hour of the day. The school said they would provide the snack, because candy was not healthy. Their solution? A sugar cookie. The hot lunches always looked plain out nasty to me. The food may have been "healthy" but it never looked appetizing to me. My kids currently attend a high school that is, in some buildings, four stories high and wraps around 3 sides of a football field. They have lockers but no time to run and get a cold lunch and they aren't allowed to carry their backpacks around. They eat what is available and what they have time to grab and go. The only thing I can really do is make sure the food at home is what I want them to eat. I began realizing this year how little control we eventually have over what our kids eat, and maybe this a factor behind some of the obesity in the US right now. Perhaps we should be teaching, not controlling?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Do the healthy eating lesson and then leave it alone. From other posts made by the OP it seems like the child is doing well in school and her mother is working overnight shifts. I agree that the Red Bull should be banned, but that's a decision the School Board needs to make.

The Doritos aren't an issue in my mind. I used to eat out of vending machines during lunch. And by the way, most schools aren't providing a healthiest meal options either. I know my school didn't and I went to a very good public school. They had plenty of money to provide better options.

If you were the child of a working parent, they didn't have time to make you a full course breakfast in the morning. I know my parents didn't. My mom and dad would buy toaster strudels, poptarts, and cereal and it was my job to make sure I ate in the morning and caught the bus on time because they had to get to work to made sure we a roof over our heads.

Things are not as black and white as some of you are trying to make it. It sounds like this woman is doing what she can to keep her family afloat and to call CPS on her is ridiculous.

Also, who's to say that that little girl isn't grabbing the Red Bull without her mother's knowledge? 6-7 years old are very aware of how to get away with things that their parents would not approve of. Think of all of the crap you did as a kid without your parents knowledge, including food choices, and you'll see this little girl is probably working the system to her advantage. I'm sure she's a sweet kid, but even sweet kids have devious ways.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    MikaMojito wrote: »

In Germany we only call social services if a child is being seriously mistreated and I as a normal teacher wouldn't even be allowed to do so. I'd have to tell the principal if I think a child is being abused and he can choose to inform child services. German schools also don't have school nurses - what do they do in America? We have school psychologists but usually you share one between 2-5 schools and they're not "real" psychologists, they only did an extra course at uni.

I understand things are different in different countries but over here it's not just "teaching" that's our job but preparing kids for life and part of it is watching out for their health. You don't have to be "food police" or fat-shame these kids. But ignoring these things doesn't really help.

If a kid gets sick, you send them to the nurse and the nurse will determine if the kid is faking it or is actually sick and needs to go home. They also have band aids, and if a girl started her period and didn't have any pads/tampons you could go to the nurse and get some to last you through the day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    7elizamae wrote: »
    I have a student (2nd grader) who usually comes to school eating from a gigantic bag of Doritos and drinking a brightly colored energy drink. That's her breakfast. Sometimes she has Cheetos instead.

I don't intervene. Would you?

I'd definitely talk to your supervisors about it before intervening. Find out what school policy is. It may be more of a nurse/counselor issue. Unfortunately bad food choices is not the same as neglect/abuse so you really are stepping your boundaries if you were to intervene in my opinion. I've seen lots of kids go through stages of refusing to eat but one thing...

Nothing wrong with working in some "healthy daily habits" to your teachings though! You'd be suprised what kids pick up on. A woman at my gym gets super embarrassed when out with her kids and the start pointing at people walking by and going "Mommy look, McDonalds is bad...it's bad, right mommy?" :)
  • icanplay3
    icanplay3 Posts: 173 Member
    I remember going through a phase in school where I ONLY ate Cool Ranch doritos and drank diet mountain dew for lunch...that lasted about a solid year! My next obsession was Little Debbie "swiss rolls" and I would carefully peel off the outer layer of chocolate first, eat that, then systematically eat the rest of it. LOL I was always thin throughout high school, I got good grades and I generally ate a pretty balanced diet the rest of the day. I wouldn't be too quick to judge if the student is generally doing OK in school, doesn't seem to be "starving", etc. Sometimes kids just like what they like - it doesn't mean it always warrants an "intervention".
  • shellbmama
    shellbmama Posts: 9 Member
    I'm a teacher as well. I've had this situation & just suggested to the student that they save the chips/doritos for a snack after lunch. My school has free breakfast for all children so I would tell them to get something from the breakfast bin instead. Some of you are assuming that the parent knowingly packed chips & said, "Here's your breakfast." In reality, the kid probably just grabbed them on the way out of the door. Students aren't allowed at my school to bring soda or anything like that, so I would tell him no on the energy drink. I wouldn't contact the parents over something like this. I work in an inner city school. This is the least of our problems!