May 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I completely bombed April because of a huge house remodel undertaking. May has a 10 day vacation, my birthday, and a holiday in it so I will set my goal for 62 miles and hope that I make it this time! I have a question for everyone. I have noticed several people who run between 4-7 miles on average and then bust out a random 13-14 miles. What is the trick to being able to do that?? I have been running for over a year now and am lucky to make it 5 miles on a "long" run. I think that I am doing something wrong? On a normal month I run at least a 5k most days of the month. Any insight would be great!!

The trick is to have the long run be 1/4-1/3 of your total weekly mileage, and to mind your easy pace. You will stall out if you try to run it hard, especially without the supporting weekly mileage. My long runs (and all my easy runs) are a good 1.5min above my marathon pace, and marathon pace is the slowest of all the race paces.
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm joining a bit late here and I'm a beginner runner, count me in for 65. Glad I found some like minded folks, friend me!!!
  • wasiemer
    wasiemer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

5/1: 2 miles
    5/4: 4 miles
    5/5: 5 miles
  • chazdiezal
    chazdiezal Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
    5/5: 2 miles
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/2 - 5.25 beautiful miles through my neighborhood
    5/4 - 5 miles, indoor track
    5/5 - 4 miles, treadmill (soggy, foggy day here)
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm going to work towards 50! It will be a combination of walking and running, but mostly running. :)

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5/1- rest day
    5/2 - 5 miles 8K Steeple Chase Race
    5/3 - 3.5 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 6.3 miles

14.8 out of 120 miles completed

exercise.png

I'm so behind on the thread...darn work!

@wendy1fl Fantastic job on your first race - so nice of you to stop and help someone
    @sonicdeathmonkey80 love the pictures - btw Skip says she is stopping at McDonald's during her next run if she passes one, she thinks you are the bomb for that move
    @ohhim great PR!!!
    @sbrrepeat I'm so sorry you missed your race.

I know I missed lots of other posts - great job to everyone who has raced this past weekend!

• Ghlt4
    Ghlt4 Posts: 241 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Miles so far.
    5/01 - 4.83 miles
    5/04 - 2.04 miles
    5/05 - 4.10 miles

Total. 11 miles with 49 to go.

exercise.png
  • cathyjones08
    cathyjones08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I set an April goal, It was low compared to everybody else but I met it.
    So this month I'm going to set of 24 miles. My April goal was 17.

May 4th - 2miles

• ReynaDay01
    ReynaDay01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm a tad late, but this is perfect!
    I think I'll set my goal at 30 with a bit of walking as part of it.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    5/2 - 10 miles
    5/4 - 5 miles

exercise.png
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    May 1- strength training
    May 2- cycling - 34 miles
    May 3 - rest day/walked 4 miles
    May 4 - 4.1 miles + Strength training
    May 5- 5.2 miles - what a fun run it was. I had an appt in the morning so I didn't have to leave early, so I ran in daylight :heart: and got to leave the neighborhood. Felt like I could have kept on going and going.

exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - daylight, wandering runs are the best!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

5/02/15 - 4.35 miles
    5/03/15 - 9.38 miles
    5/05/15 - 5 miles

• Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    6.57 miles for me today. Great morning to run, cool, overcast....did 6.57 miles. Now to get ready for work. Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone (5th of May).
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    05/01 - 4 miles
    05/02 - 6 miles
    05/03 - 10 miles
    05/04 - 3.5 miles
    05/05 - REST!

I think my marathon took more out of me then I originally thought. I struggled thru 3.5 miles last night. Mentally and physically. Thus I am taking today instead of tomorrow as a rest day.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all

5/1: None
    5/2: 4 miles
    5/3: 4.5 miles
    5/4: 4 miles

So far: 12.5 mi. out of 100
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 day time runs! Woohoo!!
    @briebee7 it's funny because I felt great for a couple days after my HM and then wham I felt beat up.

So I finally had a dog issue while out in the neighborhood, but I had my dog and Skip with me. We were walking and up ahead Skip noticed a big dog not on a leash. I said let's go back the way we came. We turned and started walking the other way and dog saw us. He came full on charge running towards us. The house we were in front of had the garage door open and the homeowner was in the garage. We ran in and I quickly said "I'm sorry there is a big lose dog charging this way". He jumped up and hit the door closer. He went in the house while we waited in the garage and he said it was a big dog, looked like a pit bull and he was sniffing around the garage door. We waited about 5 minutes and his wife came to the inside garage door and said he ran off. We waiting a few minutes more and headed out and didn't see him again. My poor labradoodle wouldn't know what do if he wanted to fight. Then we are walking down our street and a neighbor is walking down the road, as she starts to job another neighbor's dog comes flying out of the yard and chases her, he's a bulldog and is growling and jumping trying to grab her arm. She is screaming and I finally yelled at him "Boy NO!" (his name is boy), he stopped looked and me and went back to his yard. Geesh two dog incidents in one day! So happy the homeowner in the garage didn't think we were nuts! LOL
  • alyssareyans
    alyssareyans Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Been slacking on updating here but haven't slacked on my running so that's at least good.

84.5 out of 100 miles left for May

5/1 3.25 miles
    5/2 4.25 miles
    5/3 5.00 miles
    5/4 rest day
    5/5 3 miles
  • CLEgirl
    CLEgirl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    5/1 3 miles
    5/2 8.5 miles
    5/3 8 miles
    5/4 0 miles
    5/5 4 miles
    Total; 23.4 out of 110; 86.5 to go. If I do 3.5 every day for the rest of the month, I'll get there.