Four bags of Oreos

Replies

• 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    I wonder how people would respond to this post if the OP had said her husband was starving himself to death because of anorexia nervosa? Probably that she should encourage him to get professional help. I believe that chronic overeating is another ED but without the sympathy attached.
    I am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    85kurtz wrote: »
    I wonder how people would respond to this post if the OP had said her husband was starving himself to death because of anorexia nervosa? Probably that she should encourage him to get professional help. I believe that chronic overeating is another ED but without the sympathy attached.
    I am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.

Yeah just no.

Also, you are seriously reaching here.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited May 2015
    am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.

[/quote]

Yeah just no.

[/quote]
    No, it's not reaching at all. It's actually a very common concern.

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I didn't read the responses but he isn't going to change everything overnight. Small steps... so instead of focusing on his diet if he isn't ready for change, then maybe start walking every night for 15 mins or whatever. If he isn't ready for one particular change, try another. If he continues with these small step changes, eventually his diet will change.

I'd ask him what his ultimate goal is... is it to get off the diabetes medicine all together? To lose weight? Play with your children without feeling short of breath? Then come up with a plan to do that in small steps... go for a 15 min walk and increase the time every week or as needed. Next, instead of oreos every day, maybe only on Monday, Wednesday, Friday?? Or instead of 2 oreos per serving, have one.. whatever he is willing to agree to. Etc, etc... small changes are the best thing. If the changes are too drastic, he won't stick with them.

His medical condition may be your focus but not his. Figure out what he wants and work towards it and then you will eventually get what you want.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015

talk about comparing apples and oranges..

OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life VS someone that is doing an action (starving themselves) that will lead to certain death in the very near future.

and the attractive comment is just downright ludicrous...
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2015
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.
    Yeah just no.

No, it's not reaching at all. It's actually a very common concern.

Yup.

Also, sometimes, a spouse (or friend, or parent or whomever) doesn't want to lose one's "eating partner." I know when I used to want to binge, I'd try to have my husband join in the fun. It made me feel less guilty. I'm 99.9% certain he does the same thing to me (or tries) - not out of some innate evil or anything, but because, well, it's just a reaction people have sometimes: It isn't so bad when I'm doing it, if someone else is doing it too.

• 85kurtz
    ndj1979 wrote: »

No not really, The University of Carolina published a research paper about this. It isn't that uncommon.
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2015

OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life VS someone that is doing an action (starving themselves) that will lead to certain death in the very near future.

So if it's (possibly, not definitely) a slower death, it's not a big deal?

Do you have an exact time frame on what constitutes imminent death? Because anorexics can hang on for years too. Or decades. I'd love to hear what you single-handedly have decided constitutes a quick enough death to warrant medical attention of some sort. :) Obesity for apparently decades, to the extent of requiring WLS, and now including, at the very least, diabetes (which is no walk in the park) isn't it, so what is? Just curious what your personal determination, that must necessarily be true for everyone, is. :)

"OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life..." How much later, for a severely obese patient with restructured insides who is diabetic? Roughly. In your educated estimation, I mean I'm assuming you have your MD at the very least?

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Do you have an exact time frame on what constitutes imminent death? Because anorexics can hang on for years too. Or decades. I'd love to hear what you single-handedly have decided constitutes a quick enough death to warrant medical attention of some sort. :) Obesity for apparently decades, to the extent of requiring WLS, and now including, at the very least, diabetes (which is no walk in the park) isn't it, so what is? Just curious what your personal determination, that must necessarily be true for everyone, is. :)

"OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life..." How much later, for a severely obese patient with restructured insides who is diabetic? Roughly. In your educated estimation, I mean I'm assuming you have your MD at the very least?

You keep assuming a contrary position without stating what she should actually do besides... what? Fret?

This is what I don't get.

I doubt anyone thinks this isn't concerning. But ... perspective. They had ONE conversation. We don't know the tenor of that conversation.

We know her side of things. We know he failed WLS, but a lot of people do that. We know he went out and bought the food, but that might be a direct response to the tenor of the conversation... but... we. don't know enough to say.

And that's really the bottom line.

What would you suggest the wife do? Other than continue a respectful dialog, is there really anything to be done?

Have you ever lived with an alcoholic? Not that I'm comparing this in any way to alcoholism at all, but all of you who think that this or that should happen really have NO clue.

• LAWoman72
    edited May 2015

You keep assuming a contrary position without stating what she should actually do besides... what? Fret?

I doubt anyone thinks this isn't concerning. But ... perspective. They had ONE conversation. We don't know the tenor of that conversation.

We know her side of things. We know he failed WLS, but a lot of people do that. We know he went out and bought the food, but that might be a direct response to the tenor of the conversation... but... we. don't know enough to say.

What would you suggest the wife do? Other than continue a respectful dialog, is there really anything to be done?

Have you ever lived with an alcoholic?

Yes, I have lived with an alcoholic, and divorced him. What does that have to do with the OP's situation?

I already stated what I felt about what she can do. :) Which is, sadly, really very little. I do sympathize with her, and I sympathize with her husband as well. I also stated what she can do for herself, anyway, if not him; please read above. I'm sorry; I thought I was pretty clear and explanatory; I already answered your questions here, so please read back.

Do YOU have any clear ideas on what the OP can actually "do"? If so, what are they? Unless you already stated them earlier in the thread; I may have missed them - it is a very long thread.

• ndj1979

No not really, The University of Carolina published a research paper about this. It isn't that uncommon.

go ahead and link us to it for review purposes...
  • ndj1979

No, I don't have an MD, do you?

I am speaking from personal experience. My former boss is a diabetic, very obese, and eats whatever he wants. He is now 65 years old on the same path and has not had any ill effects.

so yea, I am still calling BS on that example. As it is drawing a similarity between certain death, and the prospect of it somewhere down the line.

I don't know too many people that are going to hang on for years "starving" themselves, which was the example given.
  • 85kurtz

I have already done the research. I suggest you log into google and type "research papers that indicate partners derail weight loss". That should get you there.
  • ndj1979

I have already done the research. I suggest you log into google and type "research papers that indicate partners derail weight loss". That should get you there.

sorry does not work that way…if you make a claim, and then claim to have a study to back up said claim, it is your responsibly of provide it. It is not my job to verify your bogus claims.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

I am speaking from personal experience. My former boss is a diabetic, very obese, and eats whatever he wants. He is now 65 years old on the same path and has not had any ill effects.

so yea, I am still calling BS on that example. As it is drawing a similarity between certain death, and the prospect of it somewhere down the line.

I don't know too many people that are going to hang on for years "starving" themselves, which was the example given.

They don't. The people who hang on for years cycle in and out, and often die of the massive damage done to their bodies doing that, even if they are on the road to recovery (Karen Carpenter if we want a famous example).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015

Yes, I have lived with an alcoholic, and divorced him. What does that have to do with the OP's situation?

I already stated what I felt about what she can do. :) Which is, sadly, really very little. I do sympathize with her, and I sympathize with her husband as well. I also stated what she can do for herself, anyway, if not him; please read above. I'm sorry; I thought I was pretty clear and explanatory; I already answered your questions here, so please read back.

Do YOU have any clear ideas on what the OP can actually "do"? If so, what are they? Unless you already stated them earlier in the thread; I may have missed them - it is a very long thread.

Very little that she can do. Which is pretty much why I brought up the alcoholic. Same thing. It sucks, but you can't do anything to make them change.

It's sort of why I don't understand why you're being contrary with people who are basically saying the same thing.

There's no one who doesn't feel bad about this, but there are those saying there's not much you can do vs. those suggesting some pretty out there stuff that is pretty boundary pushing.

• LAWoman72
    edited May 2015

No, which is why I'm not about to say a morbidly obese person eating around restructured insides with diabetes is A-ok and certainly in no imminent danger, any more than you should feel confident saying he's got years left in him.
    I am speaking from personal experience. My former boss is a diabetic, very obese, and eats whatever he wants. He is now 65 years old on the same path and has not had any ill effects. /

Oh, a sample size of one? I know a guy in a 1970s Dannon yogurt commercial who's 110 years old and smokes.

You have never known, nor heard of, anyone who was anorexic for years? Decades?

"Certain death," got any backup for that one? Again, certain how? When? What gives you the idea that any given anorexic's "certain" death is imminent while any given obese WLS diabetic patient's isn't?

• 85kurtz
    [quote="ndj1979;32399662".

I don't know too many people that are going to hang on for years "starving" themselves, which was the example given.[/quote]

Some statistics record 24 million people with Ed's in the USA alone. I do not know the rates of anorexia nervosa alone. The death rate associated with anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness and 12 times higher than any other cause of death in females aged 14 - 25. So the fact that you don't know anyone with this disorder is largely irrelevant. I don't know any meth. addicts but that doesn't mean I deny their existence.
  • LAWoman72

Very little that she can do. Which is pretty much why I brought up the alcoholic. Same thing. It sucks, but you can't do anything to make them change.

It's sort of why I don't understand why you're being contrary with people who are basically saying the same thing.

There's no one who doesn't feel bad about this, but there are those saying there's not much you can do vs. those suggesting some pretty out there stuff that is pretty boundary pushing.

What I don't get is how you think I'm being contrary to that idea...? I outright stated I don't feel she can change him...?

I'm not sure what you mean or are trying to point out to me, when I'm agreeing with that sentiment?