Four bags of Oreos

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited May 2015
    85kurtz wrote: »
    [quote="ndj1979;32399662".

I don't know too many people that are going to hang on for years "starving" themselves, which was the example given.
    Some statistics record 24 million people with Ed's in the USA alone. I do not know the rates of anorexia nervosa alone. The death rate associated with anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness and 12 times higher than any other cause of death in females aged 14 - 25. So the fact that you don't know anyone with this disorder is largely irrelevant. I don't know any meth. addicts but that doesn't mean I deny their existence.

i am still waiting on the other study …

where did you get these stats from, or are you not sharing that either?

You don't read so well do you? I said I don't know too many people that are going to live for long when starving themselves. The "I don't know too many people" was a general statement and was not meant to imply that I actually knew anyone or wanted to, but I guess you missed that part of the sentence structure.
  • 85kurtz
    85kurtz Posts: 276 Member
    12 times higher than any other cause of death in females aged 14 - 25. .

I am sorry, re reading this I can see that this could be misconstrued. What I meant was; The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the mortality rate associated with all other causes of death in females aged 14 - 25.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    [quote="ndj1979;32399662".

I don't know too many people that are going to hang on for years "starving" themselves, which was the example given.
    Some statistics record 24 million people with Ed's in the USA alone. I do not know the rates of anorexia nervosa alone. The death rate associated with anorexia nervosa has the highest mortality rate of any mental illness and 12 times higher than any other cause of death in females aged 14 - 25. So the fact that you don't know anyone with this disorder is largely irrelevant. I don't know any meth. addicts but that doesn't mean I deny their existence.

He didn't say he doesn't know anyone with Anorexia, he said he didn't know too many people who would hang on for years starving themselves. Big difference. At no pint did he deny the existence of people with AN.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited May 2015
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I wonder how people would respond to this post if the OP had said her husband was starving himself to death because of anorexia nervosa? Probably that she should encourage him to get professional help. I believe that chronic overeating is another ED but without the sympathy attached.
    I am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.

talk about comparing apples and oranges..

OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life VS someone that is doing an action (starving themselves) that will lead to certain death in the very near future.

and the attractive comment is just downright ludicrous...

So if it's (possibly, not definitely) a slower death, it's not a big deal?

Do you have an exact time frame on what constitutes imminent death? Because anorexics can hang on for years too. Or decades. I'd love to hear what you single-handedly have decided constitutes a quick enough death to warrant medical attention of some sort. :) Obesity for apparently decades, to the extent of requiring WLS, and now including, at the very least, diabetes (which is no walk in the park) isn't it, so what is? Just curious what your personal determination, that must necessarily be true for everyone, is. :)

"OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life..." How much later, for a severely obese patient with restructured insides who is diabetic? Roughly. In your educated estimation, I mean I'm assuming you have your MD at the very least?

No, I don't have an MD, do you?

I am speaking from personal experience. My former boss is a diabetic, very obese, and eats whatever he wants. He is now 65 years old on the same path and has not had any ill effects.

so yea, I am still calling BS on that example. As it is drawing a similarity between certain death, and the prospect of it somewhere down the line.

They don't. The people who hang on for years cycle in and out, and often die of the massive damage done to their bodies doing that, even if they are on the road to recovery (Karen Carpenter if we want a famous example).

Right, which is the point. Anorexics who temporarily have their anorexia under control aren't necessarily now non-anorexic (if that's a term). Yes, people can be anorexic for many years and not die, exactly as in the example you've given...which means any given anorexic may face imminent death, or not; just as any given person in the OP's husband's situation may be facing death either sooner or later - we can't tell. He probably can't even tell.

But to put out a blanket statement as the previous poster did that anorexics are facing imminent/certain death (still not sure what that time frame is to be) while people in the OP's husband's situation have years to go just makes no sense at all, I'm sorry.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I wonder how people would respond to this post if the OP had said her husband was starving himself to death because of anorexia nervosa? Probably that she should encourage him to get professional help. I believe that chronic overeating is another ED but without the sympathy attached.
    I am still not entirely convinced that the OP's husband is not just bringing the food into the house for himself. It seems that sometimes partners are very threatened by the idea that their loved one may become more attractive and find another partner.
    talk about comparing apples and oranges..

OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life VS someone that is doing an action (starving themselves) that will lead to certain death in the very near future.

So if it's (possibly, not definitely) a slower death, it's not a big deal?

Do you have an exact time frame on what constitutes imminent death? Because anorexics can hang on for years too. Or decades. I'd love to hear what you single-handedly have decided constitutes a quick enough death to warrant medical attention of some sort. :) Obesity for apparently decades, to the extent of requiring WLS, and now including, at the very least, diabetes (which is no walk in the park) isn't it, so what is? Just curious what your personal determination, that must necessarily be true for everyone, is. :)

"OP's husband may die from a medical condition at some point later in life..." How much later, for a severely obese patient with restructured insides who is diabetic? Roughly. In your educated estimation, I mean I'm assuming you have your MD at the very least?

No, I don't have an MD, do you?

I am speaking from personal experience. My former boss is a diabetic, very obese, and eats whatever he wants. He is now 65 years old on the same path and has not had any ill effects.

A sample size of one? I know a guy in an old Dannon commercial who's 110 and smokes.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

No not really, The University of Carolina published a research paper about this. It isn't that uncommon.

go ahead and link us to it for review purposes...

I have already done the research. I suggest you log into google and type "research papers that indicate partners derail weight loss". That should get you there.

Though the burden is on you to prove your claims by all the rules of logic, I found this article which links to the abstract. I'm not paying to dowload the text of the study.

The abstract doesn't seem to support your claims.

https://news.ncsu.edu/2013/10/wms-romo-weight-2013/

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10410236.2012.736467
  • 85kurtz
    He didn't say he doesn't know anyone with Anorexia, he said he didn't know too many people who would hang on for years starving themselves. Big difference. At no pint did he deny the existence of people with AN.

But we were discussing anorexia. That was my original point. Also the very definition of anorexia is someone that starves themselves (often for years) because of a mental illness that complicates their relationship with food and body image. Certainly this is an oversimplification, but true nonetheless.
  • ndj1979
    MrM27 wrote: »

No not really, The University of Carolina published a research paper about this. It isn't that uncommon.

I have already done the research. I suggest you log into google and type "research papers that indicate partners derail weight loss". That should get you there.

sorry does not work that way…if you make a claim, and then claim to have a study to back up said claim, it is your responsibly of provide it. It is not my job to verify your bogus claims.
    Isn't the a good one, someone does the research then the argument is go find it yourself. You very well know no research was read.

seriously, if you already have the research then you should have easy access to it, I know I would ….
  • ndj1979

Though the burden is on you to prove your claims by all the rules of logic, I found this article which links to the abstract. I'm not paying to dowload the text of the study.

The abstract doesn't seem to support your claims.

https://news.ncsu.edu/2013/10/wms-romo-weight-2013/

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10410236.2012.736467

from the link …

“This study found that one partner’s lifestyle change influenced the dynamic of couples’ interaction in a variety of positive or negative ways, tipping the scale of romantic relationships in a potentially upward or downward direction,” Romo says. “When both partners bought into the idea of healthy changes and were supportive of one another, weight loss appeared to bring people closer. When significant others resisted healthy changes and were not supportive of their partner’s weight loss, the relationship suffered

this would seem to disagree with the posters premise...
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015

But we were discussing anorexia. That was my original point. Also the very definition of anorexia is someone that starves themselves (often for years) because of a mental illness that complicates their relationship with food and body image. Certainly this is an oversimplification, but true nonetheless.

here is your original quote below in bold:

you said certain death and did not qualify anything with "over a period of years"

way to try to and move the goal posts…

• Nony_Mouse

*sigh*

I'm pretty sure ndj's point was that those continuously starving themselves would not hang on for years.
  • ndj1979

*sigh*

I'm pretty sure ndj's point was that those continuously starving themselves would not hang on for years.

yes…

• Seafood10
    Seafood10 Posts: 8 Member
    It is so hard to change eating habits! It's taken me three weeks to really be on track, and only because my doctor said my sugar was in the pre-diabetic range. I saw my doctor today. She told me once I got away from sugary items I won't crave sugar. She was so right! I'm down three pounds! I did visit a friend and she had made a glazed lemon nut and raisin pastry. First I emphatically said no, and then ten minutes later I had a medium size piece. I recorded what I ate all day and was happy with the numbers. I know I always feel I can't have a certain food. Maybe your husband is in that mode where he has to 'pig out' because he feels it could be the last time he'll be indulging. Let it begin with you. You can't help him. You have to put yourself first. One day at a time! Check out my daily food diary! You'll see I was snacking big time and after three weeks, finally got a handle on it. Hope we can help each other!! Detach with love!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

One conversation, one shopping trip. and people have this guy overeating himself to death. seriously? come on, people. No one starts the journey to eating better, eating in moderation, losing weight in one day. Did any of you do it? Have any of you ever had a backslide? There is a mountain of hypocrisy on this thread, on the word of one OP. Knock it off.
  • 85kurtz
    seriously, if you already have the research then you should have easy access to it, I know I would ….

Really? You don't do a lot of research then. I have researched literally thousands of papers in my career. I can honestly say that I do not have easy access to all of them, but can remember snippets of information from them. I do not understand this mania for people demanding to see research papers when, by and large, they would be totally unqualified to critique them any useful way. Nonetheless a quick google search illicited this response (sorry I do not know how to cut and paste on my phone) "Emma Innes quoting research by The University of Southern Carolina & University of Texas in The Daily Mail 23 October 2013 The title of the article is "How Losing Weight Can Be Bad For Your Relationship..." I read the original research paper so got the universities wrong.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Also, that ED example is kind of a fail. Yes, you can encourage them to get help, but until they are damn well good and ready to recover it's going to fall on deaf ears. Even if they reach the point of hospitisation, if they don't want to recover they're just going to go right back to the ED behaviour after. No one said the OP should just keep silent, they said her hubby isn't likely to change until he's ready.
  • LAWoman72

*sigh*

Ummm...so then I really AM confused on what constitutes worthy of medical attention here, and what isn't.

"Just" anorexic off and on with all the physical (and mental) damage but with periods of, say, force-feeding or hospitalization or, sometimes, a brief breakthrough via therapy, so that they don't actually die right away, but instead, hang on for years, aren't worthy of this medical attention that was the original point to this part of the thread (if anyone even does remember the original point any more), and was deemed downright silly in a case like the OP's husband's, which was the comparison (again, original point, anyone?)?

I agree with one part of your post here: Sigh, indeed.

Because now things really ARE getting silly.

I can't keep up with the semantics-go-round since it is, as always, entirely unproductive and helps nobody, so I'm out on this one, but I do hope the OP comes to some sort of peace with this and of course I hope that at some point, her husband decides to make a change. I think there's always hope. And I always hold out for it.

• Nony_Mouse

Really? You don't do a lot of research then. I have researched literally thousands of papers in my career. I can honestly say that I do not have easy access to all of them, but can remember snippets of information from them. I do not understand this mania for people demanding to see research papers when, by and large, they would be totally unqualified to critique them any useful way. Nonetheless a quick google search illicited this response (sorry I do not know how to cut and paste on my phone) "Emma Innes quoting research by The University of Southern Carolina & University of Texas in The Daily Mail 23 October 2013 The title of the article is "How Losing Weight Can Be Bad For Your Relationship..." I read the original research paper so got the universities wrong.

You do research but you don't understand citing your sources??
  • LAWoman72
    edited May 2015
    mccindy72 wrote: »

One conversation, one shopping trip. and people have this guy overeating himself to death. seriously? come on, people. No one starts the journey to eating better, eating in moderation, losing weight in one day. Did any of you do it? Have any of you ever had a backslide? There is a mountain of hypocrisy on this thread, on the word of one OP. Knock it off.

No. Not based on one conversation (I'm assuming - I mean I doubt the OP's husband wandered into the kitchen one morning following zero apparent concerns and said, "Hey...I think I'll skip work today and have surgery to cut my stomach by 75% and re-route my intestines") and one shopping trip. If the OP's husband has already had WLS (which he apparently then went on to eat around), obviously, it wasn't only one conversation, or one shopping trip. Nobody gets to the point of morbid obesity, surgery, and diabetes based on one shopping trip...or two, or three, or ten. (Again, assuming the OP is giving accurate information, but what else do we have to go off of? We don't know the OP or her husband personally.)

I'm not sure how people keep missing this factor. It's not like (if we're to believe the OP, anyway) they were both a bit pudgy or something and she suddenly had an epiphany and then let down the boom or anything like that. Obviously, this is a chronic situation that even surgical methods haven't helped, with the extenuating factor of diabetes and the OP's fears regarding that. You don't get to that point with just four bags of Oreos.

There's a bit of minimization and an awful lot of lack of reading on this thread. Knock it off.