St Louis area trainer posts picture of overweight fan at Cardinals game

Options

Replies

• serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    While I disagree with the trainers shaming while not knowing the story, there is something to be said for inconveniencing others with your size.

• angeltilo
    angeltilo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

Go her! If B ever reads this, I want to be your MFP friend! You have come a long way- and good for you for being able to attend your Cardinals game and tracking what you ate!

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    angeltilo wrote: »
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

Go her! If B ever reads this, I want to be your MFP friend! You have come a long way- and good for you for being able to attend your Cardinals game and tracking what you ate!

It wasn't written by her.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If the dude felt like it was his place to call attention to someone's unhealthy state, he should at the very least have grown a pair and said something directly. Hiding behind social media is pretty chicken $#!%
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Airlines could charge by the pound, including luggage, an have a few rows of larger seats. This would be fair because the weight of the loaded plane is what drives ticket prices.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Airlines could charge by the pound, including luggage, an have a few rows of larger seats. This would be fair because the weight of the loaded plane is what drives ticket prices.
    Disagree. Not fair at all. My husband weighs 75lbs more than me and he is not overweight. My child weights 30 lbs but still takes up an entire seat.

• brianpperkins
    Options

Using self reported weight or weigh at checkin?
    Options
    Also, muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe they could deduct lean body mass and charge by that?

Sorry, had to go there :wink:

• Nuke_64
    Options
    Fuel prices drive the costs of airline tickets. The weight of the loaded plane drives the amount of fuel used. Similar to UPS/Fed Ex.
  • Nuke_64
    Options

Buy your ticket at a $/lb price. Probably with min charges. Weigh when you checkin. No baggage fees.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Buy your ticket at a $/lb price. Probably with min charges. Weigh when you checkin. No baggage fees.

You've just proposed eliminating online check in and skipping the counter ... you've just proposed making people weigh in front of others ...

Samoa Air used self reported weight when they tried this. So easy to lie in order to pay less for a ticket.
    Options
    Fuel prices drive the costs of airline tickets. The weight of the loaded plane drives the amount of fuel used. Similar to UPS/Fed Ex.
    I understand your rationale. I just don't agree with it.

It's easy to apply your rule to suitcases, but not to humans.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Companies are very accomplished at making us mad at each other, rather than the company.

Airplane seat widths have gotten more narrow as the average person has gotten wider. Many men have shoulders that are wider than the seat widths even if they are not overweight. Rather than blaming the airlines or the ballpark for having narrow seats, people blame each other for encroachment.

Many waiting rooms (such as at hospitals) now have plenty of double-wide seats. There's nothing stopping companies from being prepared to accommodate their customers. Either charge everyone by total weight/volume or charge everyone by the trip/visit. Pick one and run with it.

Obesity is here and it's not going away without drastic societal changes. Weight loss takes time and people have the right to be in public no matter their size. Should I be a shut-in until my BMI hits the normal range?

That trainer complained about what the woman was eating. I'd guess that at least 95% of the prepared food that was available for purchase at the game wouldn't have met the trainer's standards for what she was supposed to be eating.

If we as a society need to have a discussion about obesity, it needs to start with a discussion about making healthy meals easily accessible at restaurants and other public venues. Convenience is king. Get back to me about obesity when I can walk into any fast-food restaurant and order baked fish and steamed vegetables as easily (and cheaply) as I can order a hamburger and fries.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?

I don't think there is a proper response. If anything is said, you'd be looked at as a major *kitten*. No matter how "delicately" you said something. On the one hand, people have every right to attend events that they have paid for. But at what point does society need to address the multiple seat thing? And how should that be addressed? I don't know the answers. I also can't say that I haven't thought some of the things that this "trainer" posted. I'm just not going to post it on the internet. Every thought in someone's mind should not be posted for everyone to judge and observe. If that happened, oh wait, we're there already. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today.
    I think you just did. lol

I didn't say which things I thought that were similar. Also, I don't put everything in my brain the minute I'm thinking of it immediately on the internet. Smart butt. :p

@asflatasapancake ;)
  • Nuke_64
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Many waiting rooms (such as at hospitals) now have plenty of double-wide seats.

The cost of larger seats in a waiting room is insignificant to the hospital especially compare to what it would cost the airlines.

...it needs to start with a discussion about making healthy meals easily accessible at restaurants and other public venues.

Let's discuss--how to we make this happen? Legislation? I'd prefer to do it by choosing not go to those places. But then there are places like Ball Parks where that 's doesn't seem to be an option.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Companies are very accomplished at making us mad at each other, rather than the company.

Airplane seat widths have gotten more narrow as the average person has gotten wider. Many men have shoulders that are wider than the seat widths even if they are not overweight. Rather than blaming the airlines or the ballpark for having narrow seats, people blame each other for encroachment.

Many waiting rooms (such as at hospitals) now have plenty of double-wide seats. There's nothing stopping companies from being prepared to accommodate their customers. Either charge everyone by total weight/volume or charge everyone by the trip/visit. Pick one and run with it.

Obesity is here and it's not going away without drastic societal changes. Weight loss takes time and people have the right to be in public no matter their size. Should I be a shut-in until my BMI hits the normal range?

That trainer complained about what the woman was eating. I'd guess that at least 95% of the prepared food that was available for purchase at the game wouldn't have met the trainer's standards for what she was supposed to be eating.

If we as a society need to have a discussion about obesity, it needs to start with a discussion about making healthy meals easily accessible at restaurants and other public venues. Convenience is king. Get back to me about obesity when I can walk into any fast-food restaurant and order baked fish and steamed vegetables as easily (and cheaply) as I can order a hamburger and fries.

If the demand were truly there, a company would provide the supply.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    FYI, an apology was made on the Shark Fitness Facebook Page. Here it is... thoughts?

I would like to take a moment to express my apologies to the individual in the photograph I posted and those it upset. One of the things I have learned quite painfully over the last couple of days is how sometimes something that is well intentioned can be executed poorly. I care deeply about the issue of obesity, and I have helped many people improve their health over the years. But it is right to say that I should not have posted an anonymous picture of a someone on social media in the manner I did.
    My intent was to communicate to my clients and followers that we all have choices and start a conversation about obesity which is causing a great deal of harm to our nation - from its burden on the health care system, its declaration as a national security risk, the health problems and early deaths of some great people and its impact on individual rights. I believe in fitness, it’s what I do and I hope to encourage others to continue to stay on track to be the best they can be. I’m sorry my method ruined that message. I have removed the offending post and would welcome the opportunity to speak one on one with the individual if she is willing.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Many waiting rooms (such as at hospitals) now have plenty of double-wide seats.

The cost of larger seats in a waiting room is insignificant to the hospital especially compare to what it would cost the airlines.
    ...it needs to start with a discussion about making healthy meals easily accessible at restaurants and other public venues.

Let's discuss--how to we make this happen? Legislation? I'd prefer to do it by choosing not go to those places. But then there are places like Ball Parks where that 's doesn't seem to be an option.

Airlines absolutely know that there will be overweight people flying. That's a given. They can have a section with wider seats rather than selling two seats that may or may not actually be beside each other. They can charge extra for those seats if they wish but they should certainly have them. I doubt that the current seats are properly engineered for a crash situation with one person using two seats, anyway.

As for restaurants, I don't think they can or should be forced to change their menus. However, no one should be given grief (either verbal or with dirty looks) for making "unhealthy" food choices when there's not exactly a plethora of healthy food choices. "Society" either needs to make healthy food as easily obtainable as "unhealthy" food or expect that a certain percentage of the population will be obese.

"Society" can't expect to plop a kid into the middle of a candy store and then have that kid refuse candy because they plan to eat an apple when they get home. Not gonna happen.

If the demand were truly there, a company would provide the supply.
    That's my point. The demand isn't there. The human brain and body are geared to like sugar and fat and that's what companies cater to. "Healthy" menus crash and burn because the other items sell better. The only time "society" is concerned about obesity is when it comes to health costs or direct impact such as people spilling over seats or even *gasp* seeing an obese person at the beach.

People say "we need to fix obesity" and then obese people have to work hard to no longer be obese. Avoiding circumstances that will contribute to obesity is nearly impossible unless you shut yourself in the house, never socialize, and cook healthy foods for yourself. Until society makes it easier to be thin than it is to get and stay obese, obesity isn't going anywhere.