St Louis area trainer posts picture of overweight fan at Cardinals game

Options

Replies

• bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

It's amazing how many "I was ..." entries there are on that blog, all authored by the antijared. The "Beverly" in the Women's Health article linked in the blog entry is a Nutrisystem follower that is eliminating salt and drinking water ... not exactly the same habits described at the ball park.
    Point?
    I don't care if she's noshing on a stick of butter. What he did was wrong, flat out.

I agree, the only thing I didn't agree with was that those other fans should have never had to move, unless they were offered better seats. If this happened to me then the other person infringing on my paid for seat should be the one to move, unless they wanna pay for some of my ticket.

I think I would ask to move before asking the stadium to move the person infringing on my seat. I'd be mortified to call them out.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

It's amazing how many "I was ..." entries there are on that blog, all authored by the antijared. The "Beverly" in the Women's Health article linked in the blog entry is a Nutrisystem follower that is eliminating salt and drinking water ... not exactly the same habits described at the ball park.
    Point?
    I don't care if she's noshing on a stick of butter. What he did was wrong, flat out.

Point is one ... what evidence is there that the antijared blog is actually from here considering the number of "I was ... " entries there, and two, the eating habits don't coincide. I would like to thank you for highlighting his point of how difficult it is to have an adult conversation about obesity.
    LOL okay. Thanks for the chuckle.

ETA: NVM
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I always consider someone's motivation when trying to figure out why they do what they do.

For this guy, I think he's trying to establish a client base by making an appeal to a very basic human emotion: disgust. And using a stranger as an example.

Basically, pointing and laughing at someone so you can feel superior to them. Nice.

That's so childish and obvious that he's not the least bit concerned about her health. Says more about him than it does her.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Wow. I want to cry for that woman, even though her face is never shown. Does this guy think she's completely unaware of her weight?

Yes, we need to be having frank discussions about weight - with our Doctors, family, and others who care about our wellbeing. Some a-hole fat shaming a stranger on social media is not having a discussion. It's a DB being insensitive and using someone else's misfortune to his advantage. It's sickening.

At the risk of the other MFPers jumping down my throat, I'm going to use the B-word here. This guy is a bully. Plain and simple.

Yes. Excellent comment!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Wow. I want to cry for that woman, even though her face is never shown. Does this guy think she's completely unaware of her weight?

Yes, we need to be having frank discussions about weight - with our Doctors, family, and others who care about our wellbeing. Some a-hole fat shaming a stranger on social media is not having a discussion. It's a DB being insensitive and using someone else's misfortune to his advantage. It's sickening.

At the risk of the other MFPers jumping down my throat, I'm going to use the B-word here. This guy is a bully. Plain and simple.

Agree with all this.
    The guy definitely sounds like an *kitten* on his Facebook page in general, but his post about the people next to her having to move does not bother me. I don't know that I'd call it fat shaming, more like an observation. Reporting what she was eating? Yeah....all aboard the douche canoe. While I don't think it was necessary to post her picture, I agree that people should not have to be uncomfortable in a seat they paid for because the person next to them is sharing it with them!

ETA: The media definitely didn't need to post it all over the place. It's likely the woman would have never seen it had they not. :s

And with this.

I'm embarrassed, living in St. Louis, that this guy breathes some of the same air as me.

I think he was trolling and sensationalizing and I think it is going to come back and kill his business.

I live in St. Louis also, He was not right in what he did, but I agree that the news really didn't have to cover this so much. They made a bad situation worse. This person may have never known what happened had the news not posted it all over the place. It may not be great publicity for the trainer, but it is still publicity that he could find a way to use to his advantage.
  • bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Reading through his posts, I feel like he was just sharing workouts, then he got into the fat-shaming business. He only seems to be doing it to women, though.

Probably trying to appeal to people who are "scared" to be fat, but at the same time, that's the culture that tears down the self-esteem of so many people!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Point?

Point is one ... what evidence is there that the antijared blog is actually from here considering the number of "I was ... " entries there, and two, the eating habits don't coincide. I would like to thank you for highlighting his point of how difficult it is to have an adult conversation about obesity.

If you bother to read the "I was ... " series of blogs, they all read the same. The style is identical which is unlikely from the allegedly widely disparate authors.

One can be as fat as they want ... use whatever level of profanity they wish ... smell however ... until they infringe upon others.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Her response is awesome! As if it's her choice that she's too big for the seat - that is really embarrassing for her already, she doesn't need a bully to point it out.

She's doing what she can to get healthy and that "trainer" had no business judging her. It's not his job to tell strangers how to live their lives, it's his job to motivate his clients and help people, not embarrass them.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options

Point?

I agree, the only thing I didn't agree with was that those other fans should have never had to move, unless they were offered better seats. If this happened to me then the other person infringing on my paid for seat should be the one to move, unless they wanna pay for some of my ticket.

I think I would ask to move before asking the stadium to move the person infringing on my seat. I'd be mortified to call them out.

I would only move myself if I was offered equal or better seats. Otherwise I'll be as nice as possible about it but she'll need to move.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Point?

If you bother to read the "I was ... " series of blogs, they all read the same. The style is identical which is unlikely from the allegedly widely disparate authors.

One can be as fat as they want ... use whatever level of profanity they wish ... smell however ... until they infringe upon others.

Even if that is the case, what right is it of his to post her photo on the internet or write about her on his Facebook page?
    Options

Point?

But I don't really care, I guess is my point. Strictly looking at what the "trainer" did and how the woman responded, I don't need to delve any further. I'm satisfied with my stance on the matter without having to investigate it further. I don't believe that reading a blog will change my mind on that. Regardless of how intrusive she was, he did not have the right to do what he did. We have choices in life on how we deal with things.

BTW, are you an engineer by chance? Serious question.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    BTW, are you an engineer by chance? Serious question.

:huh:
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Point?

Right? So the antijared went back in time nearly a full year to set all this in motion with a series of posts on his blog and a women's health post but he forgot one crucial fact! A person who tries a diet sticks with that exact meal plan for the rest of their lives!

Based on his writing, I have doubts that reply is from the woman involved.
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    ....you NEVER know what another person is going through. I remember in high school, one of my fellow students had brain cancer and all the medications made her body blow up...looking at her after the meds...you would think she was just obese. But, no, these powerful drugs that were trying to kill the cancer in her also robbed her of her svelte figure.

You don't know if someone is overweight and working towards losing the weight, has a medical condition, or is oblivious. But, it is a person. That is all that should matter.

Fat shaming is disgusting....I really hope that guy does not get one client from that post. (or ever again!)

Beverly is a class act. I loved her response.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

Point?

Even if that is the case, what right is it of his to post her photo on the internet or write about her on his Facebook page?

Since they were in public, where she had no expectation of privacy, it was well within his rights to photograph and comment all he wanted. It's the same reason why you have the right to comment on him now.

I wish it amazed me how many people rant about his judging her while they judge him and say he was wrong to use her as a generality while voicing an opinion while voicing their opinion about him specifically ... sadly, hypocrisy is now the norm.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Point?

Right? So the antijared went back in time nearly a full year to set all this in motion with a series of posts on his blog and a women's health post but he forgot one crucial fact! A person who tries a diet sticks with that exact meal plan for the rest of their lives!

Based on his writing, I have doubts that reply is from the woman involved.

What if the anti-Jared, Beverly, AND the trainer were all in on it together? Huh? Huh?

(for the record I don't think that is the case at all).

Options

Point?

Since they were in public, where she had no expectation of privacy, it was well within his rights to photograph and comment all he wanted. It's the same reason why you have the right to comment on him now.

I wish it amazed me how many people rant about his judging her while they judge him and say he was wrong to use her as a generality while voicing an opinion while voicing their opinion about him specifically ... sadly, hypocrisy is now the norm.
    Sigh.
    Does he have the legal right to take her photo in a public place? Sure. Of course. Outside of your home, free game.

Morally? Up for serious debate, as you see here. I don't consider this discussion hypocrisy. He opened himself up to discussion which I'm pretty sure he knew when he did it.

I think I will just continue down my life's path while employing my moral compass. It's served me well thus far.

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with fat/body-shaming but I do agree with one quote from the article:

“The customary way to respond to this now is to want to hug someone and tell them ‘no matter what size you are, that's great.' But in reality it's not great,” Hausher said.

Nowadays, people are promoting being happy and loving yourself by doing whatever you want with your body at any size when the best way to show love to yourself is to eat healthy and exercise which will lead to being in a healthy weight range.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Point?

Are you talking about the facebook people judging his body (which some are doing, is hypocritical and I'm glad no one here is), or judging him for the action of fat shaming on his blog? I have no idea how you are finding hypocrisy in the latter, and I'm honestly curious.

If one is to judge him for being judgmental .. that is hypocritical.