St Louis area trainer posts picture of overweight fan at Cardinals game

Options

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So....whole response was fake. Woman in pic is anonymous. Is still anonymous. A hack writer decided to make up what he thinks her response should be (to promote his own cause)....and the only bad guy here is the trainer?

Trainer exploited picture of woman. Writer exploited picture of woman.

Can somebody please explain the difference.
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.
    Oh I need to read this.
    You won't be sorry. She kicks *kitten* and I just hope she knows how awesome she is.

Says she's on MFP. She might be reading this thread right now!

I hope so! I want to friend her!

As would I. Great response from B. Don't Judge others. You never know what their journey is!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?
    As that person that would possibly get charged two seats, really really embarassed to have it pointed out. I try super hard when I'm in a public space having to share space with others to try and not encroach on someone else. I have had that person sigh when they saw me sitting in the seat next to them on the plane. If rules like this go into place, I'm not going to be able to go to movies, games, concerts or fly anywhere without having to pay twice the price, which is unaffordable for most people. I'm being penalized for the person I am, because I'm not yet the person I'm trying to become.

In your opinion what is the best course of action for both parties involved? This is a toughy

It absolutely is, there is no best course of action, be it suck it up and muddle through. That's not really fun for either party either. Personally, I think an increase seat width, not by a great amount (2 inches?) but that won't happen. A polite conversation to make them aware without drawing undue attention? And granted, I've seen obese people larger than me that just don't seem to care. :frowning:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    So....whole response was fake. Woman in pic is anonymous. Is still anonymous. A hack writer decided to make up what he thinks her response should be (to promote his own cause)....and the only bad guy here is the trainer?

I just saw that on the other thread. Still processing the information, not sure what to think of the whole thing.
    I still think the trainer is a DB

• DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    The response from B wasn't from her afterall. I'm happy for the discussion this whole incident began, but the problem with jumping on any kind of bandwagon is that it leads to people going overboard. I very much feel sorry for the real Beverly who is now having to deal with her name/story being used to go after the "trainer". smh
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    From Tony "The Anti-Jared" Posnaski

"So I write stories for the people on my page and most people know what I do. I love bringing awareness to obesity and making people think differently.

This morning I was presented with a story about a woman in St. Louis who was shamed on Facebook by a trainer. I saw it and the woman who sent it to me asked me to help. So I posted the story and got no responses.

I thought more and did something I have done before with the Fatty On The Westview Track and The Obese Man On A Jetstar Plane. I put myself in the story.

The woman in the picture never came out but her story was similar to a friend named Beverly who I have written about before. I put her in the story for the people on this page.

The story got big. So big that reporters were harassing Beverly which is not fair. So I called the news station to tell them that although Beverly's story is 100% true, she was not at the game.

I apologize to the new people on the page who might not know what I am about. I am a former 400 pound man who HATES Fat shaming and any judgment. I fight it every day for the people around me.

But the story was big and more and more the reporters called.

Beverly was not the woman in the picture. I put her there to make people realize that judging an overweight person is ridiculous. If I could do it again I would.

Because I will always fight people who shame others."

https://www.facebook.com/#!/tonyposnanski?fref=ts
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »
    From Tony "The Anti-Jared" Posnaski

"So I write stories for the people on my page and most people know what I do. I love bringing awareness to obesity and making people think differently.

This morning I was presented with a story about a woman in St. Louis who was shamed on Facebook by a trainer. I saw it and the woman who sent it to me asked me to help. So I posted the story and got no responses.

I thought more and did something I have done before with the Fatty On The Westview Track and The Obese Man On A Jetstar Plane. I put myself in the story.

The woman in the picture never came out but her story was similar to a friend named Beverly who I have written about before. I put her in the story for the people on this page.

The story got big. So big that reporters were harassing Beverly which is not fair. So I called the news station to tell them that although Beverly's story is 100% true, she was not at the game.

I apologize to the new people on the page who might not know what I am about. I am a former 400 pound man who HATES Fat shaming and any judgment. I fight it every day for the people around me.

But the story was big and more and more the reporters called.

Beverly was not the woman in the picture. I put her there to make people realize that judging an overweight person is ridiculous. If I could do it again I would.

Because I will always fight people who shame others."

https://www.facebook.com/#!/tonyposnanski?fref=ts
    What a tangled web we weave. Sheesh

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    So he would do it again even though it meant that his "friend" Beverly got harassed. Not cool, dude.
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »

I just saw that on the other thread. Still processing the information, not sure what to think of the whole thing.
    I still think the trainer is a DB

Without a doubt.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't change the fact that what this trainer did was incredibly unprofessional and unnecessary.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I would choose to sit next to her over that trainer any day! Spending his time taking photos of the lady in front of him, probably an arm rest hog... plus - she had better seats!! He seems like an *kitten*. Hate the sin, not the sinner.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am the fat woman on the plane that people were hypothetically speaking about. My way around it is to sit on the side of the plane that only has two seats. Since I used to fly with the hubs, he was the only one being inconvenienced. Now that we have a child, I sit with her, again, no inconvenience. Of course, you can't do that if you are flying alone. I had to once, and the man I ended up sitting with was not annoyed at all, instead he used me for a pillow. I was a little weirded out about that, but hey, it was a practical solution. The point is, people just need to accept other people as they are. I am 65 pounds smaller now, and I am going to South Carolina to take care of my grandkids for a week. Unfortunately, one of the planes has 3 seats on both sides. Now I will have to ask myself, does the third person want to sit next to a fidgety 4 year old, or a (still) big gal? Do I ask their preference or decide on my own?
    Options
    who4fan wrote: »
    I am the fat woman on the plane that people were hypothetically speaking about. My way around it is to sit on the side of the plane that only has two seats. Since I used to fly with the hubs, he was the only one being inconvenienced. Now that we have a child, I sit with her, again, no inconvenience. Of course, you can't do that if you are flying alone. I had to once, and the man I ended up sitting with was not annoyed at all, instead he used me for a pillow. I was a little weirded out about that, but hey, it was a practical solution. The point is, people just need to accept other people as they are. I am 65 pounds smaller now, and I am going to South Carolina to take care of my grandkids for a week. Unfortunately, one of the planes has 3 seats on both sides. Now I will have to ask myself, does the third person want to sit next to a fidgety 4 year old, or a (still) big gal? Do I ask their preference or decide on my own?
    I think the fact that you are considering other people is a plus. If it were me, I would appreciate being asked my preference.

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?

I say nothing but get up and move and make no apologies for it. I don't want someone else's fat thighs pinching my fat thighs. It hurts. This happens on trains and buses often as I take them regularly. I don't know about planes as I almost never fly. I don't know if changing seats is an option without making a big thing about it.

It's not an option on a plane......and that makes it really a dilemma. As a short person (5'2") who flies a lot, I find that people often infringe on my space on planes and it's pretty uncomfortable having a stranger basically on top of you for a 3 hour flight.

I don't know how to deal with it (other than what I do, which is try to get a window seat and scrunch down into half of my seat....). I get that it would be cost prohibitive for someone to buy two seats, and I certainly don't want to shame anyone. At the same time, though, their situation is impacting my experience of my (very expensive) purchase--they're basically usurping half my seat without my permission. It's really a tough one!

Maybe airlines and other venues could implement "plus size seating" that has a price premium, but not double the price? Realistically, very few people would need two whole seats, 1.5 should do. Where do we start the petition?!
    Options

I say nothing but get up and move and make no apologies for it. I don't want someone else's fat thighs pinching my fat thighs. It hurts. This happens on trains and buses often as I take them regularly. I don't know about planes as I almost never fly. I don't know if changing seats is an option without making a big thing about it.

It's not an option on a plane......and that makes it really a dilemma. As a short person (5'2") who flies a lot, I find that people often infringe on my space on planes and it's pretty uncomfortable having a stranger basically on top of you for a 3 hour flight.

I don't know how to deal with it (other than what I do, which is try to get a window seat and scrunch down into half of my seat....). I get that it would be cost prohibitive for someone to buy two seats, and I certainly don't want to shame anyone. At the same time, though, their situation is impacting my experience of my (very expensive) purchase--they're basically usurping half my seat without my permission. It's really a tough one!

Maybe airlines and other venues could implement "plus size seating" that has a price premium, but not double the price? Realistically, very few people would need two whole seats, 1.5 should do. Where do we start the petition?!
    It's a tough one for sure. And let's look at the other side of it - "plus sized" people would prefer to be comfortable too. It's difficult for an average sized person to squeeze into those seats, let alone if you are large. I'm sure everyone could benefit from airlines considering a 1.5x sized seat.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It is an option on a plane if you educate yourself of most airline people/person of size policies. This is United's:
    "A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:
    1.The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
    2.The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
    3.The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space."
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The response from B wasn't from her afterall. I'm happy for the discussion this whole incident began, but the problem with jumping on any kind of bandwagon is that it leads to people going overboard. I very much feel sorry for the real Beverly who is now having to deal with her name/story being used to go after the "trainer". smh

Look how many people here blindly believed that blog was authored by the woman involved in this incident.
    Options

Look how many people here blindly believed that blog was authored by the woman involved in this incident.
    LOL yes, you were right. I already admitted it. Happy? :wink:
    BUT....the trainer is still a jerk.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

LOL yes, you were right. I already admitted it. Happy? :wink:
    BUT....the trainer is still a jerk.

Right. This in no way releases that jack-a55 from his actions.

• who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options

It is an option on a plane if you educate yourself of most airline people/person of size policies. This is United's:
    "A customer is required to purchase an additional seat or upgrade if they do not meet one of the following criteria:
    1.The customer must be able to properly attach, buckle and wear the seat belt, with one extension if necessary, whenever the seatbelt sign is illuminated or as instructed by a crew member.*
    2.The customer must be able to remain seated with the seat armrest(s) down for the entirety of the flight.
    3.The customer must not significantly encroach upon the adjacent seating space."

I actually was able to say yes to all 3 of those requirements listed above even when I was heavier. Again, it's a matter of perception, many people are put off just by the fact that I take up my entire seat with no room left for a personal space bubble, if you will. I am not taking up their space, but they feel like I am. Also, since something like half the country is made up of larger people, to some, it's just a matter of who is bigger and then that person is causing the problem, despite the fact that both are overweight.