St Louis area trainer posts picture of overweight fan at Cardinals game

Options

Replies

• bingo_jenn
    bingo_jenn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    FYI, an apology was made on the Shark Fitness Facebook Page. Here it is... thoughts?

I would like to take a moment to express my apologies to the individual in the photograph I posted and those it upset. One of the things I have learned quite painfully over the last couple of days is how sometimes something that is well intentioned can be executed poorly. I care deeply about the issue of obesity, and I have helped many people improve their health over the years. But it is right to say that I should not have posted an anonymous picture of a someone on social media in the manner I did.
    My intent was to communicate to my clients and followers that we all have choices and start a conversation about obesity which is causing a great deal of harm to our nation - from its burden on the health care system, its declaration as a national security risk, the health problems and early deaths of some great people and its impact on individual rights. I believe in fitness, it’s what I do and I hope to encourage others to continue to stay on track to be the best they can be. I’m sorry my method ruined that message. I have removed the offending post and would welcome the opportunity to speak one on one with the individual if she is willing.

Wait...I can understand the health piece, but NATIONAL SECURITY RISK? Seriously??
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bingo_jenn wrote: »

Wait...I can understand the health piece, but NATIONAL SECURITY RISK? Seriously??

Yes

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736119/
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    FYI, an apology was made on the Shark Fitness Facebook Page. Here it is... thoughts?

I would like to take a moment to express my apologies to the individual in the photograph I posted and those it upset. One of the things I have learned quite painfully over the last couple of days is how sometimes something that is well intentioned can be executed poorly. I care deeply about the issue of obesity, and I have helped many people improve their health over the years. But it is right to say that I should not have posted an anonymous picture of a someone on social media in the manner I did.
    My intent was to communicate to my clients and followers that we all have choices and start a conversation about obesity which is causing a great deal of harm to our nation - from its burden on the health care system, its declaration as a national security risk, the health problems and early deaths of some great people and its impact on individual rights. I believe in fitness, it’s what I do and I hope to encourage others to continue to stay on track to be the best they can be. I’m sorry my method ruined that message. I have removed the offending post and would welcome the opportunity to speak one on one with the individual if she is willing.

It's not bad as an apology goes, but when he states he wants to start a conversation about obesity, why not start with the woman herself?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

It's not bad as an apology goes, but when he states he wants to start a conversation about obesity, why not start with the woman herself?

That was kinda my thought. And I saw a few people on his page say, "why not just give her your card and offer some help?" To me, that would be incredibly insulting. It's like saying, "Hey! I know you're fat. How about I train you so you can lose weight?"

Truthfully, if he really wanted to start a conversation, he could have done so without a shocking photo and disparaging remarks.
  • bunsen_honeydew
    bunsen_honeydew Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Special wide seats that you can pay extra (but not double) are available on some flights. It's called premium economy. But not short haul. For those, just shut up and deal, I'm afraid. I put up with skinny people's *kitten* behaved kids, they can cope if I take up all the space in the tiny seats.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

Thank you so much for sharing, what an amazing response.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Special wide seats that you can pay extra (but not double) are available on some flights. It's called premium economy. But not short haul. For those, just shut up and deal, I'm afraid. I put up with skinny people's *kitten* behaved kids, they can cope if I take up all the space in the tiny seats.

Why is it the healthy weight individual who has to shut up and deal with it? And people of all size have children who behave poorly, so not sure what that statement was all about.

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

Why is it the healthy weight individual who has to shut up and deal with it? And people of all size have children who behave poorly, so not sure what that statement was all about.
    You need to complain to the correct source of the problem: the airlines.

No one should have to shut up and deal with it. However, what is the other person supposed to do about the fact that the seat they were given is too small for them? They can't lop off the extra inches so that they fit in the seat, just like tall people can't make their femurs shorter so that their knees don't dig into the seat in front of them. Obese people have the same right to travel and mingle in public that everyone else has.

It is not right that people aren't given adequate room but that's the airlines' fault, not the person's.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Take up all the space, absolutely. What I'm curious about it why nobody seems to care about the person forced to accept the unwanted touch of a total stranger? Seriously, do you not care how you make someone feel? Why not just grab a boob then? What's the difference?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

No one should have to shut up and deal with it. However, what is the other person supposed to do about the fact that the seat they were given is too small for them? They can't lop off the extra inches so that they fit in the seat, just like tall people can't make their femurs shorter so that their knees don't dig into the seat in front of them. Obese people have the same right to travel and mingle in public that everyone else has.

It is not right that people aren't given adequate room but that's the airlines' fault, not the person's.
    I respectfully disagree. I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'3". Air travel sucks. But I was born with those long femurs and have no choice about it.
    My weight however...my choice.
    Now before people get all up in arms, we all know there are different stories and backgrounds as to why someone is obese. However I think we can also all agree that the vast majority of overweight and obese people are that way because of their own choices. I don't mean to sound harsh, but surely you can see the point?

ETA: my opinion does not mean that I agree with shaming. I don't. There has to be a sensible and respectful way to handle it.

• seska422
    edited May 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Take up all the space, absolutely. What I'm curious about it why nobody seems to care about the person forced to accept the unwanted touch of a total stranger? Seriously, do you not care how you make someone feel? Why not just grab a boob then? What's the difference?
    I don't have a magic button that suddenly allows me to take up less room. If I did, I would hit it. I don't have a wall that I can put between my seat and the seat beside me. What can I do, hold my breath? Even if I could hold my breath for the entire trip, I would still spill over the sides of my tiny seat.

How do you propose that I take up less space? I would love to avoid touching the person next to me but they are right there and I don't have a portable wall or anything that will physically prevent me from encroaching.
  • bencze1
    bencze1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Avoiding circumstances that will contribute to obesity is nearly impossible unless you shut yourself in the house, never socialize, and cook healthy foods for yourself. Until society makes it easier to be thin than it is to get and stay obese, obesity isn't going anywhere.
    it's always someone else's fault. :)
  • seska422
    edited May 2015
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

I respectfully disagree. I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'3". Air travel sucks. But I was born with those long femurs and have no choice about it.
    Now before people get all up in arms, we all know there are different stories and backgrounds as to why someone is obese. However I think we can also all agree that the vast majority of overweight and obese people are that way because of their own choices. I don't mean to sound harsh, but surely you can see the point?

ETA: my opinion does not mean that I agree with shaming. I don't. There has to be a sensible and respectful way to handle it.
    When you are surrounded by easy fast food and enablers, obesity is an easier choice than working hard to get and stay slim. But that's beside the point for this conversation.

The person is obese right now. No amount of discussion about the past or the future will change the fact that the person is obese right now and they have a lot of peers who are also obese right now.

Should they have the right to travel? To go to a ball game? To go to the beach? If they have those rights, should they be accommodated with adequately sized seating? Is it their fault if the seat is too narrow and they spill over?
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Frank conversations about weight are what we should have with our loved ones, friends, and doctors.

Bullying is what you call it when you take a picture of a stranger and use it to ridicule them as a way of farming 'likes'.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The dude is a tool and i hope she finds a way to make him pay. Facebook should ban his *kitten*.
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Wow I live here and I haven't heard of it until now - in any event, yeah that's just wrong. I will not be going to that establishment for any training.
  • seska422
    Options
    bencze1 wrote: »
    Avoiding circumstances that will contribute to obesity is nearly impossible unless you shut yourself in the house, never socialize, and cook healthy foods for yourself. Until society makes it easier to be thin than it is to get and stay obese, obesity isn't going anywhere.
    it's always someone else's fault. :)
    Of course it isn't.

However, temptation can't be discarded as irrelevant.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I don't have a magic button that suddenly allows me to take up less room. If I did, I would hit it. I don't have a wall that I can put between my seat and the seat beside me. What can I do, hold my breath? Even if I could hold my breath for the entire trip, I would still spill over the sides of my tiny seat.

How do you propose that I take up less space? I would love to avoid touching the person next to me but they are right there and I don't have a portable wall or anything that will physically prevent me from encroaching.

So you don't care then. It's your world; everyone else is just in your way.
  • seska422
    edited May 2015
    Options

So you don't care then. It's your world; everyone else is just in your way.
    Of course I care. I don't want to touch strangers either.

I don't see a proposed solution. How do you suggest that people avoid touching others when the seats are too narrow? Or are you just suggesting that I should stay home so that I'll be out of sight and out of mind?

It's everyone's world.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »

I have to agree with this. Seems everyone's first line of defense is "what if it they have a medical condition!!". We all know that for the VAST MAJORITY of obese individuals are not overweight for that reason. In fact, it's probably the opposite- they now suffer from a medical condition because of their weight.

Recently I flew direct from Boston to Seattle, sitting in the middle seat between two obese people. It was hell. My 5'1" self was lost between them. I absolutely did not have to "accept them as they are" like people are saying here. Give me a break. Also, what would have happened if I was obese as well? There would have been no way for all of us to fit.