St Louis area trainer posts picture of overweight fan at Cardinals game

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So... What, exactly, was the point of this thread?
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?

I remember this coming up some months ago, as an airline company over here were going to start charging people for two seats if they were taking someone else's seat over owing to being too large. The idea got shot down, but actually, in principle I agree with it. I don't think that is fat shaming, I think it is fair (and I know many will disagree with me, but I'm not trying to start an argument, this is just my opinion).

However, these things are never straight forward-what about people who owe their size to medical conditions? It's not as if they have much of a choice, and public transport seats aren't exactly the largest seats in the world to begin with. To charge them would be unfair in my eyes. But if you are so large you are infringing on someone else's space, space they have fairly paid to have access to, and you simply don't want to or can't be bothered to try and lose the weight, then yes you should pay. Honestly, and again I know this is going to be controversial and I'm not saying it to offend or start an argument, but sometimes it feels like we tip-toe around obesity and try to make everyone feel like it's OK to be obese. I mean, fat shaming is bad and I don't in any way condone it, and if you are happy with your size then more power to you! But in our quest to make large sizes acceptable, we seem to ignore the health implications that go with it (and I know that not all obese people are unhealthy; such as body builders, technically obese but still healthier than the average 'healthy weight' person).

Just want to reiterate people, I am not trying to start an argument. As I said, in principle it sounds fair and makes sense, but in reality.....who knows. I don't.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

Wow. 150 lost. I want to hear what this so called "trainer" has to say about this? I bet it shuts him right up.

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Okay, the guy is a jerk.

Great for "B", with a classy response. Go girl!

That being said, I am tired of the narcissism of people of size, who do take up more than their share of space. It is not fair to others who paid for a seat to be squished up to a person who takes a half seat on either side of their own seat. Vendors need to stop being afraid of offending the obese, and call it like it is, post a sign, "If you can't fit through the turnstile, you will have to purchase an additional seat.".

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Question for all: What do you do when there is someone very large sitting next to you on the train/bus/plane/wherever that infringes on your seat space? As someone said above, I hate when strangers touch me. In your opinion, what is the proper response when there is someone taking up more than their share of their seat and taking up some of the space that you paid for?

I don't think there is a proper response. If anything is said, you'd be looked at as a major *kitten*. No matter how "delicately" you said something. On the one hand, people have every right to attend events that they have paid for. But at what point does society need to address the multiple seat thing? And how should that be addressed? I don't know the answers. I also can't say that I haven't thought some of the things that this "trainer" posted. I'm just not going to post it on the internet. Every thought in someone's mind should not be posted for everyone to judge and observe. If that happened, oh wait, we're there already. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in today.
    I think you just did. lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

@TR0berts I haven't found it yet.. maybe it's people making fun of people making fun of others? I have no idea ;) lol
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

What is the point of any thread?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Gifs?
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Gifs?

FTW!
  • Jim_1000
    Jim_1000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The trainer is after publicity which is exactly what the media gave him. Obviously he is lacking a conscience and has
    some level of personality disorder.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    bingo_jenn wrote: »
    http://theantijared.com/2015/05/i-was-the-so-called-unhealthy-fat-woman-at-the-cardinals-game-2.html

I just found this on his FB page with her response. Haven't finished reading it yet.

It's amazing how many "I was ..." entries there are on that blog, all authored by the antijared. The "Beverly" in the Women's Health article linked in the blog entry is a Nutrisystem follower that is eliminating salt and drinking water ... not exactly the same habits described at the ball park.
    Point?
    I don't care if she's noshing on a stick of butter. What he did was wrong, flat out.

Point is one ... what evidence is there that the antijared blog is actually from here considering the number of "I was ... " entries there, and two, the eating habits don't coincide. I would like to thank you for highlighting his point of how difficult it is to have an adult conversation about obesity.
    LOL okay. Thanks for the chuckle.

If you bother to read the "I was ... " series of blogs, they all read the same. The style is identical which is unlikely from the allegedly widely disparate authors.

One can be as fat as they want ... use whatever level of profanity they wish ... smell however ... until they infringe upon others.

Even if that is the case, what right is it of his to post her photo on the internet or write about her on his Facebook page?

Since they were in public, where she had no expectation of privacy, it was well within his rights to photograph and comment all he wanted. It's the same reason why you have the right to comment on him now.

I wish it amazed me how many people rant about his judging her while they judge him and say he was wrong to use her as a generality while voicing an opinion while voicing their opinion about him specifically ... sadly, hypocrisy is now the norm.

Yep, apparently it's only wrong when OTHER people do it...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As that person that would possibly get charged two seats, really really embarassed to have it pointed out. I try super hard when I'm in a public space having to share space with others to try and not encroach on someone else. I have had that person sigh when they saw me sitting in the seat next to them on the plane. If rules like this go into place, I'm not going to be able to go to movies, games, concerts or fly anywhere without having to pay twice the price, which is unaffordable for most people. I'm being penalized for the person I am, because I'm not yet the person I'm trying to become.
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I don't agree with fat/body-shaming but I do agree with one quote from the article:

“The customary way to respond to this now is to want to hug someone and tell them ‘no matter what size you are, that's great.' But in reality it's not great,” Hausher said.

Nowadays, people are promoting being happy and loving yourself by doing whatever you want with your body at any size when the best way to show love to yourself is to eat healthy and exercise which will lead to being in a healthy weight range.
    The reason people should feel good about themselves is because depression over body image can lead to eating, not exercising. If you tell me I shouldn't be happy or love myself because I'm fat, then ***k it why even bother. That's the danger in not loving yourself or feeling happy about yourself.
    Should I love me for who I am despite being fat? Yes. Because I am a human being worthy of love, no matter what I look like or weigh. Should I be happy despite being fat? Yes. I should be happy no matter what I look like or weigh. Should I change who I am because it is not healthy or comfortable? Yes. I should because being healthy will help me continue my years of love and happiness, and make it more comfortable to enjoy those years.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    As that person that would possibly get charged two seats, really really embarassed to have it pointed out. I try super hard when I'm in a public space having to share space with others to try and not encroach on someone else. I have had that person sigh when they saw me sitting in the seat next to them on the plane. If rules like this go into place, I'm not going to be able to go to movies, games, concerts or fly anywhere without having to pay twice the price, which is unaffordable for most people. I'm being penalized for the person I am, because I'm not yet the person I'm trying to become.
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I don't agree with fat/body-shaming but I do agree with one quote from the article:

“The customary way to respond to this now is to want to hug someone and tell them ‘no matter what size you are, that's great.' But in reality it's not great,” Hausher said.

Nowadays, people are promoting being happy and loving yourself by doing whatever you want with your body at any size when the best way to show love to yourself is to eat healthy and exercise which will lead to being in a healthy weight range.
    The reason people should feel good about themselves is because depression over body image can lead to eating, not exercising. If you tell me I shouldn't be happy or love myself because I'm fat, then ***k it why even bother. That's the danger in not loving yourself or feeling happy about yourself.
    Should I love me for who I am despite being fat? Yes. Because I am a human being worthy of love, no matter what I look like or weigh. Should I be happy despite being fat? Yes. I should be happy no matter what I look like or weigh. Should I change who I am because it is not healthy or comfortable? Yes. I should because being healthy will help me continue my years of love and happiness, and make it more comfortable to enjoy those years.

This so much this.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

In your opinion what is the best course of action for both parties involved? This is a toughy

• wizzybeth
    Options
    There is no easy answer.

Except for one thing. Be kind to other people. Period.
  • mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options

In your opinion what is the best course of action for both parties involved? This is a toughy

I'm going to throw my opinion in here. Because if it were me being penalized in front of a bunch of people my reaction would be to go in a corner and ball my eyes out then head to peters and stuff myself. (not the best response - but hey i'm working on the emtional eating)

Many times I have been the person having to sit beside someone very large and having no space for myself and I just grin and bear it. Ya sucks to be the person sitting on a plane ride with someone else touching them. Life goes on and someone elses life is none of my business. who really wants to take the gamble on confronting someone else on their weight? On two VERY extremes this could be the outcome:

1. Obese person gets frustrated by you confronting them and decides to do something about it and lose weight. (which might not possibly be the right way and they could develop an eating disorder)
    2. Obese person gets frustrated and has had enough because they are currently depressed and they decide enough is enough and injure themselves OR WORSE.

Once again i'm saying these are extreme cases but that's just not something I would want to gamble with because you never know what that person is going through.

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I won't lie, I've been known to complain about people who are bigger and maybe taking up my space on a plane.

But I complain inwardly, or to my friends/family. I don't voice every single thought that runs through my mind. Part of living in a civilization means being civilized.

And I certainly don't take someone's photo and plaster it all over the internet to make a point.

Why on earth would anyone think that's okay? Especially someone who's a personal trainer.

I hope he loses business over this. He will indeed gain frat-boy, d-bag types, which I think is right where he fits in. The childish group who still thinks it's perfectly acceptable to point and laugh at others, even when you're almost 50 years old. His body has aged but unfortunately he's still a mental and emotional child.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I won't lie, I've been known to complain about people who are bigger and maybe taking up my space on a plane.

But I complain inwardly, or to my friends/family. I don't voice every single thought that runs through my mind. Part of living in a civilization means being civilized.

And I certainly don't take someone's photo and plaster it all over the internet to make a point.

Why on earth would anyone think that's okay? Especially someone who's a personal trainer.

I hope he loses business over this. He will indeed gain frat-boy, d-bag types, which I think is right where he fits in. The childish group who still thinks it's perfectly acceptable to point and laugh at others, even when you're almost 50 years old. His body has aged but unfortunately he's still a mental and emotional child.
    QFT