The joys of office broscience - misguided food/nutrition advice

Options

Replies

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am curious about that now. I know one guy who eats a spoon of peanut butter every night because he says the slow breakdown is better than eating a sugar laden nighttime snack.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bobbie63 wrote: »
    So, ok I haven't read much in the past few years, but, as long as I can remember, eating late was bad, and carbs (except slow) such as breads, potatoes and such were bad as they turned to sugar much faster than veggies or other things that had carbs in them. So, what is the easiest book to read to find out what all the dieting things I was told, are now not true.

When you find the answer to this, let me know. There are SO many things I have absorbed over a lifetime that these days, I don't even know WHAT to believe.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Examine.com is a pretty good site that looks at a lot of the dieting myths and other questions and analyzes the studies. It also provides citations.
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Work colleague, she wants to slim up before her holiday...
    She doesn't want to exercise
    She cant eat fat, because she doesnt want to get fat
    She cant eat carbs, because apparently they are bad
    She cant eat protein, because she doesn't want to get muscles

I just let her get on with it......
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    csman49 wrote: »

Is she one of those Venusions (I think that's how yoo spell it). The only eat sunlight and drink air. :/
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    My coworkers are going on one of those MLM shake diets because they need to get to 130 lbs. to be a size 6. According to them 130 always equals a size 6 regardless of height, body shape, or composition.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It is such a maze out there when it comes to diet and fitness info. No wonder people struggle so badly with this. Oh my freeging God..... lol

Its like half the studies out there refute and claim to disprove the other half of the studies. Grains are bad, grains are good. Fat is bad, fat is good. Carbs are bad, carbs are good. Eat lots of protein, dont eat too much protein or you'll get kidney stones. Cardio causes fat retention and catabolism, cardio is the onyl way to really burn fat. High intesity cardio is good, High intensity cardio is too hard on your body/nervous system. High reps low weight is the best, Low reps high weight is better.

Good luck.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    A lady I know won't buy any more fresh farm eggs from us because most of them are double yolkers. Double yolkers are bad because they have double the cholesterol and so they are bad eggs. She had to throw away half of the eggs last time. Seriously....that's what she told me.
    She should have sent them to my house. A hawk got my mom's chickens so no more fresh eggs

Birds eat birds????? :o

Birds eat ANYTHING! Our chickens would fight over frogs, snails, mice - anything that was unfortunate enough to venture into their run.

The look on my cousin's girlfriend's face was priceless when I told her that chickens are NOT vegetarians, during a conversation about buying eggs. Never mind that "cage free" is not what you think...they aren't running around in the sunshine all day. Those houses are disgusting. I love it when I can get fresh eggs from yard chickens. DH is weirded out by the deep color of the yolk...that's a varied diet!

I get the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" from DH. I don't understand the logic of eating when I'm not hungry because of a human construct we call "time".

My grandmother insists that my diet is wrong. I don't eat in the morning (most important), I eat a big dinner (should be the smallest meal of the day), I eat plenty of fat and protein and 3 times a day (I should have 5-6 small meals and very little fat/protein). I've still lost weight doing all the wrong things! This from a woman who eats sweets all day, almost exclusively. She's at a healthy weight, though, so her diet is better than mine ;) I side-step with the CICO equation but she ignores that part.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options

If she can't eat fat, carbs, or protein, then she ought to have no problem losing weight quickly!!!
  • DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

If she can't eat fat, carbs, or protein, then she ought to have no problem losing weight quickly!!!

She was at a 40oz bottle of Jack for maintenance, but now that she's trying to bulk up she's tossing a couple six packs of a low carb beer in with dinner.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Examine.com is a pretty good site that looks at a lot of the dieting myths and other questions and analyzes the studies. It also provides citations.

Bookmarked. Thanks, @lemurcat12 ! I will definitely be following the links there for a while.

• mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Bookmarked. Thanks, @lemurcat12 ! I will definitely be following the links there for a while.

This! Examine.com is a goldmine of information :#
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Just checked out examine.com myself. Good info.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    My coworkers are going on one of those MLM shake diets because they need to get to 130 lbs. to be a size 6. According to them 130 always equals a size 6 regardless of height, body shape, or composition.

Yeah I think I read that somewhere...
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I was in a cardio kickboxing class and we were doing some stuff with weights. To keep us motivated, the instructor told us to really work those shoulders, the pain would be worth it... because we were making our shoulders bigger, which makes our waists get smaller.

Further proving you don't actually need any qualifications to be a fitness instructor.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    anglyn1 wrote: »

Yeah I think I read that somewhere...

I'm a freak. At 135, I'm a size 2.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Someone tweeted me yesterday that carbs would kill me. *eyeroll*

As a vegetarian, I'm pretty sure not eating carbs is more likely to kill me.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

She was at a 40oz bottle of Jack for maintenance, but now that she's trying to bulk up she's tossing a couple six packs of a low carb beer in with dinner.

Good one! I forgot about the fourth macronutrient. I'm glad we have that backup for people who can't eat the other three.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Is there any truth to touching fat with your bare hands making you fat? Something about it being able to be absorbed through the press in your hands?
    That's why I gained weight this winter. I put coconut oil on my skin.

Don't know if you joking or not....I knew someone who quit working at a chicken factory because she said touching all the chicken fat caused her to gain 30lbs.

Bless your heart ... no this can not happen
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Lets not even get into if you just want to lose a little excess weight if you're not extremely overweight or something. Then you have to get into the "Yes, I KNOW I'm not 'fat', I'm just trying to get in better shape NO I'm not commenting on your eating habits or calling YOU fat, oh god why are we now talking about YOUR weight I didn't even wanna talk about this in the first place NO thank you I don't really even like cupcakes honestly no SERIOUSLY it isn't because I'm trying to be 'so perfect' I just-"

It happens even if you ARE extremely overweight. I am 5'6" and been at or around 250 to 270 for years now. And every single time I vaguely have brought up wanting to eat better, or lose a little weight, I've gotten bombarded by the "Oh no! You might be a little chubby, but you're not FAT!" And it's always a signal to my mom to push twice as hard to get me to eat a cookie, etc - because it's wrong to starve yourself. :::eye roll::: She's utterly terrified that any reduction in eating will immediately lead to anorexia. *sigh*

Hey, people, I'm fat. That's okay. It's a description - not a definition. And I'm not staying here - no matter how much my mom fears I'll somehow fade away into thin air B)

Re: the Astrology diet...hmm...I'm a Leo - guess I have to start tracking down some wildebeest...that should burn up some cal's!