VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• maspicantexfa
    maspicantexfa Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm curvy, thick, "fat" whatever. I love my body and I'll call it what I want, while trying to improve it.

Dove says you should love your body but their parent company Unilever sells Axe by objectifying women and sells skin-lightening creams in Asia with ads that imply your husband will love you more if you're white, and Sunsilk ads in the Philippines that say boys won't want to touch you if you have dry hair.

How's that self-esteem coming, Dove?

At the end of the day, they're trying to sell us something. In the USA we like our self esteem so Dove, VS, etc. latched onto it like a shark bite and took that idea all the way to the bank.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I just need to say... I ran my first triathlon last night. Most of the women who kicked my *kitten* were ones built like the women in the Dove ad. Not one looked like a Victoria's Secret model. While many of the women were "athletic-looking", perhaps a majority looked like they were carrying a few extra pounds. Maybe something to think about if you're considering the difference between a body that is in style aesthetically, and a body that can perform amazing things.

These two companies advertise because they want to make money off of your body image. They're selling you products, not self-esteem. They don't care about your self-esteem.

Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Glamour had done a really great thing here: http://m24digital.com/en/2009/08/27/plus-size-glamour/ Its unfortunate that commercials like the Dove or Hanes Her Way aren't as popular as VS. Heart breaking really. But it's the world we live in and we need to not spend so much time taking it as a personal attack on us. Just focus on becoming the best we can be and not let the media tell us what our best is. They're job is to sell not boost your confidence.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love Victoria's Secret stuff, i'd buy lots more if I could afford it (and if they had more than one shop in the UK!) I also love watching the VS runways- I feel that a lot of people are SO quick to say 'oh they're too skinny/ugly/not representing real women' blah blah blah, because of jealousy/lack of self confidence. Those girls work hard for their bodies, just like a lot of people here are working hard to get their goal bodies! Real women are ALL sizes, skinny, thin, curvy, overweight, etc. Lingerie looks better in terms of advertising and selling the product on girls in good shape, with curves (I would also say that 'curvy' is too often used to describe overweight people, not actually people who have curves...)
    And to whoever said that all the VS models look the same, a lot of them have different body shapes... I would say that Karlie Kloss is too thin to be a VS model though, but as a high fashion model she's great. It's a different industry that a lot of people don't know about.

This is just my opinion. :)
  • bleacheblonde
    Options

Here's my opinion: if you can't handle stating your opinion nicely, talking to other people is not for you. Being entitled to share your opinion doesn't make you entitled to be a dillhole about it. NOT saying that you are doing that, but I hate how people are like "I'm entitled to my opinion" to justify being an a-hole.

PERFECT RESPONSE! i love the part you said "I hate how people are like "I'm entitled to my opinion" to justify being an a-hole."

(1) The only people who are name calling in this thread are the two responses I quoted, calling (me? anyone who shared an honest opinion?) a**holes and dillholes.

(2) I am pretty sure that name calling is in fact against the rules.

(3) I never claimed to be nice. I'm not nice. I'm opinionated and real and don't pretend to not have unpopular opinions. If it makes you feel better, I don't act any more fake in real life than I do on the internet. Can you say the same?

Yes, I can say the same. Notice the part where I said you were NOT being a dillhole. But whatever. Carry on with your life.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    VS can bite me. I shop at Target.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Here's my opinion: if you can't handle stating your opinion nicely, talking to other people is not for you. Being entitled to share your opinion doesn't make you entitled to be a dillhole about it. NOT saying that you are doing that, but I hate how people are like "I'm entitled to my opinion" to justify being an a-hole.

PERFECT RESPONSE! i love the part you said "I hate how people are like "I'm entitled to my opinion" to justify being an a-hole."

(1) The only people who are name calling in this thread are the two responses I quoted, calling (me? anyone who shared an honest opinion?) a**holes and dillholes.

(3) I never claimed to be nice. I'm not nice. I'm opinionated and real and don't pretend to not have unpopular opinions. If it makes you feel better, I don't act any more fake in real life than I do on the internet. Can you say the same?

Yes, I can say the same. Notice the part where I said you were NOT being a dillhole. But whatever. Carry on with your life.

Take out all of your half-hearted hedging, and you are still saying it.

Not saying your a hypocrite, but your acting like a hypocrite.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options

Take out all of your half-hearted hedging, and you are still saying it.

Not saying your a hypocrite, but your acting like a hypocrite.

:drinker:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I just need to say... I ran my first triathlon last night. Most of the women who kicked my *kitten* were ones built like the women in the Dove ad. Not one looked like a Victoria's Secret model. While many of the women were "athletic-looking", perhaps a majority looked like they were carrying a few extra pounds. Maybe something to think about if you're considering the difference between a body that is in style aesthetically, and a body that can perform amazing things.

These two companies advertise because they want to make money off of your body image. They're selling you products, not self-esteem. They don't care about your self-esteem.

Congrats on your triathlon! :D

Sadly, this is true. I wasn't taught how to have confidence in myself and to separate my self image from that in the media or from the opinions of others, especially since I was picked on a lot for my weight. So this is something I'm still learning. I wish I could buy self esteem from somewhere.

Reminds me of a song I heard from YFM, "You can have knowledge, self esteem and class but who needs all that when you got a nice *kitten*?"
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Good body image, get some:

daily-motivation-127.jpg?w=500&h=997

PS theBerry.com Daily Motivation posts are awesome, sometimes there's a little broscience in them, but the overall message is a good one.
  • IMissIceCream
    Options
    Deleted. But BOY, did some of the stuff in this thread make me mad! :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, lol, Im placing an order on VS tomorrow.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    isn't this the same rant you did for lululemon?

lol.
  • areufnkiddingme
    areufnkiddingme Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Agreed- I'm not sure how a 14 could be a small? You must be very tall honey.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Because of this thread, lol, Im placing an order on VS tomorrow.

I like this one so far:

V335109.jpg

Apparently Dove only makes shampoo and lotion and soap and stuff- so if I go with Dove, I'll just be wearing bubbles - which could be fun :)
  • daniellejm893
    daniellejm893 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure "love your body" is suppose to hint to yes let's all love OUR bodies but at the same time Victoria secret has a long called body by Victoria. So they say love your body as in their product.. Either way I would say something if they don't carry your size.
    Erisad wrote: »
    Dear Victoria's Secret: I saw your "Love your Body" commercial several times last night on TV. It's a nice sentiment, really. But when you stopped carrying my size because you only wanted to market to a smaller crowd and all your models have the exact same body type, I doubt the sincerity of the statement. So is my body only worth loving if I can fit into your stuff? Of course not. What they probably mean is that I'm to love their bodies and not my own. I'm starting to think that even when I can fit into their stuff, I probably still won't shop there as they left a real bad taste in my mouth. Tastes like hypocrisy. /end rant :/

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure "love your body" is suppose to hint to yes let's all love OUR bodies but at the same time Victoria secret has a long called body by Victoria. So they say love your body as in their product.. Either way I would say something if they don't carry your size.
    Erisad wrote: »
    Dear Victoria's Secret: I saw your "Love your Body" commercial several times last night on TV. It's a nice sentiment, really. But when you stopped carrying my size because you only wanted to market to a smaller crowd and all your models have the exact same body type, I doubt the sincerity of the statement. So is my body only worth loving if I can fit into your stuff? Of course not. What they probably mean is that I'm to love their bodies and not my own. I'm starting to think that even when I can fit into their stuff, I probably still won't shop there as they left a real bad taste in my mouth. Tastes like hypocrisy. /end rant :/

Why would you respond to a thread that's over three years old?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    343843384b23041b3bf0d1eca792b6807c5ce1d71ec23640ec3ceb19db23847f.jpg
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    "Oh honey, we don't sell YOUR SIZE here anymore..." I was mortified and completely embarassed...

I'm not sure what you wanted her to say if she's just a salesperson and the store doesn't actually carry your size.

It's really all about the delivery.

I have not been able to get a bra in forever from VS - I am somewhere around a 38-42 (depending on what measuring technique you use) DD. I ordered some bras online that were OK. There is a store tied to Lane Bryant called Cassique (I think) that has some bras but they're not fun...they are kind of dull looking.

When (if) I get back to a "more normal size" (I'm hoping I go to a 38 or 36 C or D ) I plan on getting some bras at Aerie. My daughters LOVE those bras.