Thoughts on my eating philosophy?

Options

Replies

• baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree with that, nutritious foods with lots of vitamins is the way to go. A diet of pepsi, chips, donuts in moderation with a calorie deficit will lead to an early grave so doing our best to make the best food choices can be hard but it's what I have to strive towards or I am a zombie personally. I become addicted to a cycle of unhealthy junk food and take out food. Even if it is within my calorie range in the beginning I begin to starve because the food amount is tiny and everything is so calorie dense and eventually I need more and more
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    Yeah I agree with that, nutritious foods with lots of vitamins is the way to go. A diet of pepsi, chips, donuts in moderation with a calorie deficit will lead to an early grave so doing our best to make the best food choices can be hard but it's what I have to strive towards or I am a zombie personally. I become addicted to a cycle of unhealthy junk food and take out food. Even if it is within my calorie range in the beginning I begin to starve because the food amount is tiny and everything is so calorie dense and eventually I need more and more

'In moderation' doesn't mean that's all you're eating. It means getting most of your food from nutrient dense sources, and incorporating some of those other things, in moderation, once you have met your macro and micro targets.
  • baby05phat
    baby05phat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Once I start calorie dense my palate remains hyperactive and needs more of that and I blow through my calories in seconds, and the next day I am always craving something calorie dense versus nutritious. If I stay only on nutritious l wake up actually wanting those foods and calorie dense/junk have no appeal to me.
    Its what works for me, we are all build different
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

Was she by chance Cajun or Creole? :p That was my dad's philosophy growing up. We were nit allowed to throw out any spoiled or moldy food. It was just made into something else. We ate a lot of gumbos and jambalayas, with lots of spices.
    Didn't learn about throwing out bad food until a few years into my marriage...That was a very interesting talk.

No, but her parents were Italian immigrant working people, and she grew up during the Depression/WW2.

Ahhh. I see. ;) Do you throw things out now or is it still a struggle to do so?

I'm finding the older I get, the harder it is to throw things away. This applies to food that might be slightly dodgy, clothing, rubber bands... (Who said we all turn into our mothers eventually!)
    I haven't started sticking the old bits of soap together to make a 'new' bar yet, but I'm sure that'll come.
  • mannishbob
    mannishbob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think your philosophy is fine. I don't want to just lose weight but want to be healthy too. Some foods and drinks have no nutritional value whatsoever. They seem a waste of the daily calorie intake. I'm trying to come up with alternatives to foods which I know contributed to weight gain eg chocolate. I'm enjoying discovering new things to eat and drink. It doesn't mean I'll never have chocolate again, it's just I'll think twice about heading to buy it when out shopping and think "what else could I have that will satisfy that craving?" I don't think there's anything wrong with people avoiding unprocessed food as much as possible or completely. It feels great and the food is tasty - it makes eating a joy instead of a constant focus on which foods we are depriving ourselves of. Some foods are just more nutritious than others. That can't be disputed.
  • mannishbob
    Options
    mannishbob wrote: »
    I think your philosophy is fine. I don't want to just lose weight but want to be healthy too. Some foods and drinks have no nutritional value whatsoever. They seem a waste of the daily calorie intake. I'm trying to come up with alternatives to foods which I know contributed to weight gain eg chocolate. I'm enjoying discovering new things to eat and drink. It doesn't mean I'll never have chocolate again, it's just I'll think twice about heading to buy it when out shopping and think "what else could I have that will satisfy that craving?" I don't think there's anything wrong with people avoiding unprocessed food as much as possible or completely. It feels great and the food is tasty - it makes eating a joy instead of a constant focus on which foods we are depriving ourselves of. Some foods are just more nutritious than others. That can't be disputed.

• mannishbob
    Options
    I meant to say "avoiding processed foods" not unprocessed. How do you edit these posts?!?
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mannishbob wrote: »
    I meant to say "avoiding processed foods" not unprocessed. How do you edit these posts?!?

Click on the little 'wheel' on the top right of your post and select 'Edit'.
    You can use this to delete your duplicate post too. :smile:

(edit: only for up to an hour after you posted though...)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    baby05phat wrote: »
    I read a lot of people's comments and I don't like this motto of "eat anything at all in moderation" at all.
    There have been studies done that show just how much chemicals impact rat brains and how big companies can control your addictions/make you come back. Their food has a high salt,fat, sugar ratio that causes a surge of dopamine to come out like a drug. Can you really just have one and do it in moderation?
    No. I personally can not. When I eat crappy chemicals I always come back to them and the cycle doesn't end.

When I totally stop them and eat things that are raw/organic and wean myself off the chemicals I have actual withdrawal but it results in stopping the intense cravings and makes you stop wanting them completely. Yes I can spiral back into it but I have to do an organic detox to get out of it. Our food industry currently sucks and it is a battle for a lot of people which is why obesity is an epidemic.

So regardless what anyone says OP's suggestion sounds like she will focus mostly on raw foods/minus all the chemicals, and that's great.

Something tells me you read this:

15797397.jpg

• Nicshtik
    Nicshtik Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I stick to something similar - but, especially when you aren't the only person in your household, it can be tough to adhere to. Often, foods of this type aren't quick.

I have a 9 year old daughter who (as a competitive gymnast) is EXTREMELY FIT and has a very high caloric requirement for basic functioning, let alone work out days. This also means we have an insanely complicated schedule. If I tried to adhere to this every day, the result would be that I would almost never have time to make these foods, and then would end up binge-ing at the end of the day (which is the biggest part of my weight problem). So I HAD to accept that some prepared foods (with things I can't identify or pronounce) are going ot have to be OK for now. Even so, I try to stick to some of the less scary ones :wink:
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Was she by chance Cajun or Creole? :p That was my dad's philosophy growing up. We were nit allowed to throw out any spoiled or moldy food. It was just made into something else. We ate a lot of gumbos and jambalayas, with lots of spices.
    Didn't learn about throwing out bad food until a few years into my marriage...That was a very interesting talk.

No, but her parents were Italian immigrant working people, and she grew up during the Depression/WW2.

I'm finding the older I get, the harder it is to throw things away. This applies to food that might be slightly dodgy, clothing, rubber bands... (Who said we all turn into our mothers eventually!)
    I haven't started sticking the old bits of soap together to make a 'new' bar yet, but I'm sure that'll come.
    I cut the moldy part off my cream cheese today and used 2oz of non-moldy cream cheese in my keto pancakes recipe. I'm going to die from low-carb *and* moldy food! ;-)

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I love how certain people seem to think that just because eating calorie dense foods makes them unable to control their intake, no one else is allowed to eat snacks in moderation. Jfc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Just read through the thread and I'd like to give props to the OP. She asked for feedback, got it, and a generally adult-level conversation was had.

One slightly tangential perspective: I make beer as a hobby. When I started I used canned or dry malt extract and packaged hops.

As I got better at it I started to get deeper into the process. I became an all-grain brewer and mashed the barley malt myself. I even tried my hand at growing hops, which worked out well.

But as I got more into it I realized I could never get to the bottom of it. I could theoretically make my own barley malt, but that's a highly involved process. Beyond that I could grow my own barley. I could culture my own yeast. I'm not sure how I would do proper sanitation without using chlorine or other commercially available sanitizing agents.

So while I think it's great to get into the process and learn to make things closer to the source, in the end there it's pretty damn hard to get to "scratch" for almost any food or drink we consume.

+1

I have gone through a very similar process making breads including sourdough. Keeping bacteria/yeast healthy and uncontaminated is a tricky business.

Side-side note, a chemist has found a way to brew heroin from sugar using yeast.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/home-brewed-heroin

Aside from tittilating headlines, this method has the potential to grow inexpensive pharmaceuticals.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

I cut the moldy part off my cream cheese today and used 2oz of non-moldy cream cheese in my keto pancakes recipe. I'm going to die from low-carb *and* moldy food! ;-)

You're hardcore! I haven't done mouldy cream cheese... yet. (Possibly because I don't buy it very often.)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29701768

When mouldy food is safe to eat.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    To give a little background I'm already on a highly restricted diet due to digestion and fatigue issues - a low FODMAP diet pretty much rules out gluten, legumes, most dairy, added sugars, artificial sweeteners and in my case alcohol - along with onions, garlic, apples and many berries. As I'm already so restricted I'm looking for ways to eat the most nutritious foods I can. 'Clean eating' or sticking to mostly natural and low processed (in my mind processing food is doing things like fermenting, grinding, brewing, roasting, drying etc etc.) foods seems to work the best for me at this point in time. Filling my already restricted meals with 'empty calorie' and convenience foods just seems like a waste.

Wouldn't those things be off limits for you anyway? I'm not understanding why you'd make up a restriction in addition to the low FODMAP one.

Personally, rather than a rather arbitrary distinction between things you COULD make and things you couldn't--like others have said, I could buy a soda maker thing and am not sure I could make proper yogurt--why not achieve the goal of getting the best fuel for your body by simply focusing on the specifics of what you eat. I can make cake, but that doesn't mean that eating lots of cake is good for me. Eating it in moderation on occasion, sure.

But it's up to you, so if it makes you happy or makes the low FODMAP thing more bearable, go for it.

Yoghurt is surprisingly easy!! Pic below made by me over the weekend. It is insanely good. This is my first batch from scratch, I was using packet mix previously.

w8ux5ib5zbg1.jpg

I want to dive face first into that.

I love yogurt so much.

• kskinnyperfect
    kskinnyperfect Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. Nothing wrong with trying to eat healthier and more simply . I kind of wanna try this myself !
  • PeachyCarol
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29701768

When mouldy food is safe to eat.

The pretty much confirmed my personal bias... only hard cheese. We don't buy the kind of bread that gets mold.

I don't trust anything else.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    To give a little background I'm already on a highly restricted diet due to digestion and fatigue issues - a low FODMAP diet pretty much rules out gluten, legumes, most dairy, added sugars, artificial sweeteners and in my case alcohol - along with onions, garlic, apples and many berries. As I'm already so restricted I'm looking for ways to eat the most nutritious foods I can. 'Clean eating' or sticking to mostly natural and low processed (in my mind processing food is doing things like fermenting, grinding, brewing, roasting, drying etc etc.) foods seems to work the best for me at this point in time. Filling my already restricted meals with 'empty calorie' and convenience foods just seems like a waste.

Wouldn't those things be off limits for you anyway? I'm not understanding why you'd make up a restriction in addition to the low FODMAP one.

Personally, rather than a rather arbitrary distinction between things you COULD make and things you couldn't--like others have said, I could buy a soda maker thing and am not sure I could make proper yogurt--why not achieve the goal of getting the best fuel for your body by simply focusing on the specifics of what you eat. I can make cake, but that doesn't mean that eating lots of cake is good for me. Eating it in moderation on occasion, sure.

But it's up to you, so if it makes you happy or makes the low FODMAP thing more bearable, go for it.

Yoghurt is surprisingly easy!! Pic below made by me over the weekend. It is insanely good. This is my first batch from scratch, I was using packet mix previously.

w8ux5ib5zbg1.jpg

I want to dive face first into that.

I love yogurt so much.

Oh man, does that look good!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

w8ux5ib5zbg1.jpg

Okay, I really will have to try doing it myself soon.

I love projects like that anyway.