Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @linstapler thanks for sharing! Your pictures and your kitty look awesome :smiley:

Here's tomorrow's bento. DH's on top, he has pb and banana sandwich, carrots, ranch dressing, fritos, a cheddar cheese block (you can't see it) and some non-pareils. Mine is my one of my usuals, dumplings, almonds, edamame and broccoli.

Since I don't have to weigh his stuff or even care about calories, his are so much faster to make.

n09dr6mwo3so.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    linstapler wrote: »
    Thank you to the thread starter and everyone who shares their lovely bentos. Gives me ideas for my own lunches. I am using laptoplunch bentos and I instagram my simple lunches for own reference (https://instagram.com/minah_stapler/)

Cheers ==

You're welcome ^_^ It's nice being an appreciated OP!

u7qf2yye0z5j.jpg

For once, I remembered to take a pic of my bento at work before I scarfed it down.

This one is 2 kids snags (sausages for you non-Aussies! :P ), rice and 3 veg since my fridge is getting all Mother Hubbard. At least I never seem to run out of umeboshi. Totals in at just under 400cals.

• sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    iktmmt1viwik.jpg

Single layer bento today!

Shredded brussel sprouts cooked with pan roasted pumpkin seeds and dried mango, green chile chicken enchiladas, and a nectarine

nom :smiley:
  • Narcissora
    Narcissora Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    iktmmt1viwik.jpg

Single layer bento today!

Shredded brussel sprouts cooked with pan roasted pumpkin seeds and dried mango, green chile chicken enchiladas, and a nectarine

nom :smiley:

Pretty!!!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I'M BACK!!! I'm exhausted and have no bentos, but I'm back! ^_^
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    In for the yummy examples!
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    I couldn't eat it all! I still have half of the coleslaw and a tomato. I think this box is too big (even when I stuff it with mainly veggies). Who worried that bentos don't hold very much? That they would leave ya hungry? Oh yes, me ;)
    I think everyone worries about that, and it probably is an issue at first, simply because it takes practice to figure out how to pack the boxes properly. My first few bento boxes were super tiny. I went hungry at lunch for a few weeks until my packing skills leveled up ☺

I think I'm happier and more satiated with a variety of different things too. I've noticed I feel I need to eat a lot more of a single casserole item than a small amount of the same casserole plus a variety of different fruits and veggies on the side. I think maybe my body is just happier with the variety of nutrients it is getting and says "I'm good, I'm full" a lot sooner. Just a personal pondering :)
  • Narcissora
    Options
    I got lazy and didn't pack a bento for today. I ended up at Subway. I was tempted to take a picture of my sub in a cardboard box and call it a "Subway bento", but I was way too hungry and ate it up before I could search my office for an empty box.

I promise to make a subway bento in the future.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    I may have gone for my first trip to Daiso in a while, and I may have increased my collection to include 3 new boxes, a rice roll maker and a clay rice cooking pot......
    2v03jnehbmhf.jpg
    I love the bad grammar translations.
    e8ovkb80okaq.jpg

Today's lunch is rice (with a new furikake!), meatballs and veg. I wont have a bento tomorrow if I don't go shopping tonight; all I have left is pumpkin and broccoli in my fridge.

Daiso is where I get my yuzu pepper paste. In the section where I get it, they also have wasabi paste, garlic & ginger. I also noticed today that they have a plum, shiso and basil paste (plum as in the sour pickled plum). Man does it taste delicious. It does get sold in a few stores here, so I'm assuming it may be in any of the Asian grocers you might frequent. The packets look like this:
    iyqd39791yz7.jpg
  • LilSweet2015
    LilSweet2015 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @linstapler thanks for sharing! Your pictures and your kitty look awesome :smiley:

Here's tomorrow's bento. DH's on top, he has pb and banana sandwich, carrots, ranch dressing, fritos, a cheddar cheese block (you can't see it) and some non-pareils. Mine is my one of my usuals, dumplings, almonds, edamame and broccoli.

Since I don't have to weigh his stuff or even care about calories, his are so much faster to make.

n09dr6mwo3so.jpg

I might have to work a pb and banana sandwich into my future food plan this week. My problem with pb + bread is that I will eat three sandwiches instead of one. It turns the "on" switch in my brain.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

n09dr6mwo3so.jpg

I might have to work a pb and banana sandwich into my future food plan this week. My problem with pb + bread is that I will eat three sandwiches instead of one. It turns the "on" switch in my brain.

Same here, I can slam a whole french baguette if given the opportunity. Partly why the sammie is in the husband's box :naughty:

• mangrothian
    Options

n09dr6mwo3so.jpg

Same here, I can slam a whole french baguette if given the opportunity. Partly why the sammie is in the husband's box :naughty:

Unless it's a ham and cheese toastie or vegemite and cheese on plain bread, I get put off sandwiches pretty quickly. It's probably a good thing. I'd probably be in experimentation mode if you ever saw one in my Bento.
  • LilSweet2015
    Options
    b619nfr848dc.jpg

Lunch for tomorrow- 1/2 cup cantaloupe, 1/2 cup caraway sauerkraut, salad with lettuce, dried cranberries, chèvre, and grapes, mini veggie burgers to put on salad. I separate them with some parchment papers so the burgers don't get soggy in the salad before I eat it. Also makes it easy to heat up if want to.

This came in well under 400 calories. If I decide to put some dressing on it will bump it up.

I don't know about you ladies ( and gents), but the appeal of salad with no dressing is about 0% unless there are tons of goodies in it. I just must be undisciplined :(
  • Narcissora
    edited May 2015
    Options
    4oyckvafvhy5.jpg

In the small tier: pork tenderloin, haricot verts (omg I learned a new term today!), and a mozzarella ball.

In the larger tier: vanilla Greek yogurt, granola, strawberries, pineapple.
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    b619nfr848dc.jpg

Lunch for tomorrow- 1/2 cup cantaloupe, 1/2 cup caraway sauerkraut, salad with lettuce, dried cranberries, chèvre, and grapes, mini veggie burgers to put on salad. I separate them with some parchment papers so the burgers don't get soggy in the salad before I eat it. Also makes it easy to heat up if want to.

This came in well under 400 calories. If I decide to put some dressing on it will bump it up.

I don't know about you ladies ( and gents), but the appeal of salad with no dressing is about 0% unless there are tons of goodies in it. I just must be undisciplined :(

I generally don't eat salad dressing, but it's more because I don't like it on salad than anything else. My salads usually have something creamy in them, like avocado or gorgonzola cheese that makes me not miss eating them plain. I say if you like dressing, eat away! (haha, in moderation :wink: )

• SpecialKitty7
    edited May 2015
    Options

I generally don't eat salad dressing, but it's more because I don't like it on salad than anything else. My salads usually have something creamy in them, like avocado or gorgonzola cheese that makes me not miss eating them plain. I say if you like dressing, eat away! (haha, in moderation :wink: )

eta, where do did you get the mini veggie burgers from?

• LilSweet2015
    Options
    The brand is called "Hilary's Eat Well" and they come frozen. They have a bunch of larger flavors too. I like them because they don't have any fillers in them. Just veggies and beans. I work at an organic market so I am surrounded by amazing options - all day long. Lucky for me! Not lucky for my waist line sometimes.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options

(Former Bento'er trying to find my way back into the Bento-habit, who has been silently creeping this feed again :smile: ) I have found with salads that I like flavored vinegars instead of dressing or vinaigrette. It can zing up a salad without a ton of added calories. My favorites are red wine vinegar, or I have this raspberry balsamic that is excellent that only has like 3g of carb for a TB (& I never use close to a tablespoon). I keep a bottle in my desk for salads at work that I use sometimes. Most grocery stores have a great selection of infused vinegars now...just be sure to double-check the nutrition labels, because sometimes they can have a shockingly huge amount of added sugar. Also, lemon juice squeezed on salad can be tasty too (depending what is on it).

• colejkeene
    colejkeene Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vegan bento style spiiiiiiiicy Gardein taco salad packed for Mister's lunch. So good (and healthy)! Box from Monbento.

11311199_1612846558954543_202491021_n.jpg
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    The brand is called "Hilary's Eat Well" and they come frozen. They have a bunch of larger flavors too. I like them because they don't have any fillers in them. Just veggies and beans. I work at an organic market so I am surrounded by amazing options - all day long. Lucky for me! Not lucky for my waist line sometimes.

Thanks! Looks like I can get them at Whole Foods. There's not one in my town, but there is in my Mom's town, I may be making a trip...

@colejkeene What is the green thing in the bottom right corner? I thought a lime, but I can't tell. The lunch looks tasty, it's nice to see other food preps on here as many people assume everthing has to be Asian or carby.