Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

If you want to know what a rural Canadian accent sounds like...

http://youtu.be/F-glHAzXi_M[/embed]

Any Canadians used to watch DeGrassi?? I was obsessed!! Where Drake was little Jimmy before he hit it big. And I know people love to hate him but I will always love the Biebs! Also, all the crap they give Robin about being Canadian in How I Met Your Mother is hilarious- love that show!

I never saw that Degrassi, but I'm obsessed with the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High (the ones from the 80s, which played in reruns constantly in my childhood.) An ex-boyfriend gave me the complete box set on DVD years ago and I watch it when I'm sick all the time, haha.

I've seen one of those I can't remember which all I remember is A LOT of stonewashed denim! And also a lot of the junior high kids are in the new Degrassi as parents/teachers/principals and such!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    MissLaaber wrote: »
    Accents: in my opinion, small-town Canadians (from anywhere) have a very different accent to city-dwellers and it's very noticeable. I've lived my whole life in urban Alberta and my accent is apparently geographically untraceable (depending on who I'm talking to, I've heard everything from "California" to "oh, were your parents Scandinavian?" to "did you grow up in England?" in my life) but I think there is a very distinct accent for rural Canadians (and, obviously, for French-Canadians and a couple variations for East Coasters too.)

It's not quite the same was what people think of as a "Canadian accent" (which usually sounds more like Minnesota to me when I hear it played for laughs on TV) but it's definitely a thing.

Any Canadians used to watch DeGrassi?? I was obsessed!! Where Drake was little Jimmy before he hit it big. And I know people love to hate him but I will always love the Biebs! Also, all the crap they give Robin about being Canadian in How I Met Your Mother is hilarious- love that show!

I never saw that Degrassi, but I'm obsessed with the original Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High (the ones from the 80s, which played in reruns constantly in my childhood.) An ex-boyfriend gave me the complete box set on DVD years ago and I watch it when I'm sick all the time, haha.

YESS DEGRASSIIII! My step-dad worked the lighting on the show when I was young so I got to be on set occasionally, which leads me to say that Drake is AWESOME. Or well was, I dunno but he humoured little me so he's good in my books haha

That's the one I don't know! I only know the low-budget ones with the "Wake up in the morning, feelin' shy and lonely, gee I gotta go to school..." theme song and Joey Jeremiah playing keyboards in the Zit Remedy and Shane getting Spike pregnant and those stupid twins. All I know about the remake is that Drake used to play a character people refer to as "wheelchair Jimmy."

Yep- Joey Jeremiah, Shane and Spike are all in the newer show as parents!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    It's been gross and rainy the past few days, I didn't get my run in and I've been having a horrible day. I am in a foul foul mood, I won't be home until 7ish and I HAVE to run before the end of the night. Hrmph.

Preach!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Kalici wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    This morning I was able to put on a shirt that previously was tight. I was super stoked that it was loose and hung straight down from my chest without clinging to my hips or rear end. Then I became depressed because it seriously occurred to me that I've been trying to look like Sponge Bob square pants and walk like a robot my whole life. My mother told me that only *kitten* showed their hips and my step-father told me that only fat slutty *kitten* wiggled when they walked.

I don't wear red either. Even though I love red and I look awesome in red. I am pale skinned, with dark hair and green eyes. I look spectacular in red and I can't wear it because only sluts wear red. I am now upset and pissed off because I know even if I were to buy something that clings in red I probably wouldn't be able to wear it out of the house. I'd be afraid everyone was staring at me for the wrong reasons. I feel pathetic. :/

Oh, no, no, no to all the bold above. You've got to change that thinking right now! Walk the way you want to walk, wear the colors you want to wear, and whether anyone looks at you or not, who cares?! Ignore it, because unless you directly ask each and every person you'll never know what their intention was nor the meaning behind the look. Irrelevant. This is YOUR life now and your body. Enjoy it, experiment, and find your TRUE style.

Thank you. I am hoping that with this realization that I can work towards changing some of it, but I do know it'll be hard. I don't need to hear other people's nasty when my over active brain can supply it for them all on it's own.

I hear ya, I have the same negative parental tapes playing in my head... tapes that I've multiplied and embellished over the years with new negative material.

When you start hearing the thoughts, recognize the source as old, outdated and incorrect and push Stop. Replace with either logic to debunk it or a simple positive affirmation. (This takes practice)
  • LBuehrle8
    edited June 2015
    Options
    this was a double post, who knows why! Hm Confession for the day...I think I'll eat an almond chocolate bar and not log...whoops!
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    This morning I was able to put on a shirt that previously was tight. I was super stoked that it was loose and hung straight down from my chest without clinging to my hips or rear end. Then I became depressed because it seriously occurred to me that I've been trying to look like Sponge Bob square pants and walk like a robot my whole life. My mother told me that only *kitten* showed their hips and my step-father told me that only fat slutty *kitten* wiggled when they walked.

I don't wear red either. Even though I love red and I look awesome in red. I am pale skinned, with dark hair and green eyes. I look spectacular in red and I can't wear it because only sluts wear red. I am now upset and pissed off because I know even if I were to buy something that clings in red I probably wouldn't be able to wear it out of the house. I'd be afraid everyone was staring at me for the wrong reasons. I feel pathetic. :/

I HAD to say something to this. My mom was not quite so extreme but really had a problem with my wiggly walk and wanted me always wearing clothes that were so big that they hid I had a figure. Turns out I've had a wiggly walk since I could walk. Yes, little two year old me had a sway and a wiggly in my walk. She tried and tried to retrain me...but I was built that way. My walk wiggled. Still does. It does not matter if I'm at my leanest or my non-leanest, I wiggle. I can guarantee I'm not a slut (but so what if I was?) I love my walk, it is just how I'm built and the way my body moves. I also have a traditional curvy hourglass figure with equal curves up front and behind with a nice waist in the middle. It is not perfect (at all) but I have a beautiful body and I love it, I even kind of like my flaws now. I'm short (4'11") so I can easily hide those curves under clothes, but I can also go all out knockout if/when I want to do so. I am casual or professional at work. I accentuate (very tastefully) those curves when I'm out with my SO.

There is NOTHING wrong with being as vibrant and beautiful and attractive and comfortable in your own skin as you want to be. You get to choose. Really. This is your life and you are in charge of it. Full charge. All yours!

I wear colors. (My mom's sisters actually had an intervention with her 20 years ago after she had a decade of wearing nothing but beige). I wear neutrals. I wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it. I don't dress inappropriately, in fact I dress very professionally much of the time and am only sloppy when I'm in my gardening/working on the house clothes. I love little sundresses and wear them at times when other people wear yoga pants or sweats. I grocery shop, run errands, etc. in sundresses. I have seen some women (just a few and my mother is one of them) want me to wear oversize clothes to hide that I am attractive. So, although not so extreme, I understand what your parents were like. It did not stick from my mom to me. I did go through a period in my early twenties where I did wear short and tight (pushing the limits of good taste -- leaving the limits of good taste, but I was in my twenties in Hollywood and I needed that exploration time.)

Please give yourself permission to be as sexy and vibrant and attractive as you want to be and get there at whatever pace you wish to get there. Red is a powerful color. Try adding more of it into your life. Maybe start with a pink or orange. Allow yourself to be relaxed and walk naturally, whether it is wiggly or not - just a walk with no meaning behind it. I know it is hard to move past some of these early messages even when intellectually we know that they are wrong. You have the people of this thread behind you cheering you on.

Unfortunately many of us have people in our lives who would rather pull us down rather than build us up. Live loudly, live boldly, live being true to yourself and who you really are and enjoy the profound happiness of being alive!

Confession: I have dealt with most of the issues relating to my mom but occasionally new ones pop up.

Thank you! You're all making me feel really supported and I appreciate it. I am still socially awkward so I don't know if that is coming across in my return messages, but honestly, I really do appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

• LBuehrle8
    Options
    nonoelmo wrote: »

I HAD to say something to this. My mom was not quite so extreme but really had a problem with my wiggly walk and wanted me always wearing clothes that were so big that they hid I had a figure. Turns out I've had a wiggly walk since I could walk. Yes, little two year old me had a sway and a wiggly in my walk. She tried and tried to retrain me...but I was built that way. My walk wiggled. Still does. It does not matter if I'm at my leanest or my non-leanest, I wiggle. I can guarantee I'm not a slut (but so what if I was?) I love my walk, it is just how I'm built and the way my body moves. I also have a traditional curvy hourglass figure with equal curves up front and behind with a nice waist in the middle. It is not perfect (at all) but I have a beautiful body and I love it, I even kind of like my flaws now. I'm short (4'11") so I can easily hide those curves under clothes, but I can also go all out knockout if/when I want to do so. I am casual or professional at work. I accentuate (very tastefully) those curves when I'm out with my SO.

There is NOTHING wrong with being as vibrant and beautiful and attractive and comfortable in your own skin as you want to be. You get to choose. Really. This is your life and you are in charge of it. Full charge. All yours!

I wear colors. (My mom's sisters actually had an intervention with her 20 years ago after she had a decade of wearing nothing but beige). I wear neutrals. I wear what I want to wear when I want to wear it. I don't dress inappropriately, in fact I dress very professionally much of the time and am only sloppy when I'm in my gardening/working on the house clothes. I love little sundresses and wear them at times when other people wear yoga pants or sweats. I grocery shop, run errands, etc. in sundresses. I have seen some women (just a few and my mother is one of them) want me to wear oversize clothes to hide that I am attractive. So, although not so extreme, I understand what your parents were like. It did not stick from my mom to me. I did go through a period in my early twenties where I did wear short and tight (pushing the limits of good taste -- leaving the limits of good taste, but I was in my twenties in Hollywood and I needed that exploration time.)

Please give yourself permission to be as sexy and vibrant and attractive as you want to be and get there at whatever pace you wish to get there. Red is a powerful color. Try adding more of it into your life. Maybe start with a pink or orange. Allow yourself to be relaxed and walk naturally, whether it is wiggly or not - just a walk with no meaning behind it. I know it is hard to move past some of these early messages even when intellectually we know that they are wrong. You have the people of this thread behind you cheering you on.

Unfortunately many of us have people in our lives who would rather pull us down rather than build us up. Live loudly, live boldly, live being true to yourself and who you really are and enjoy the profound happiness of being alive!

Confession: I have dealt with most of the issues relating to my mom but occasionally new ones pop up.

Thank you! You're all making me feel really supported and I appreciate it. I am still socially awkward so I don't know if that is coming across in my return messages, but honestly, I really do appreciate all the kind words and thoughts.

No it doesn't come across like that in your messages at all! I say I'm socially awkward too but in a different way I tend to get in people's personal space :o
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »

I call that one the "Trailer Park Boys accent". Thanks for sharing. :)

Rural Manitoba is a little more "nasally" sounding to me.

And I've never said "aboot" for about in my life.

I always thought it sounded more like "aboat" anyway. ;)

I agree. I went on a site visit in the GTA last year and a woman was telling us about what the were doing, she said they went out to get samples in a boat - I was waiting for the timeframe in which they'd done the sampling, but then realised she'd finished the sentence and they just went out in a boat.

Edited because for some reason it included my last post too!
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    When he was looking at bikini tops, I would say things like, "Now, you know, my boobs won't look anything like that?!" and, "All these women have big fake boobs and round butts, so of course it looks good on them!" He wasn't hearing it. I finally said, "Okay. I'll tell you what, if you buy a bikini, I'll wear it." I should have thought a little more before opening my mouth.

Those words will never leave my mouth because 1) 51 *sigh* 2) we never vacation anywhere that a bikini would be even remotely appropriate, even on a youngster and 3) there are about 10 days a year here where it would be warm enough to wear one without a cardigan.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    @nonoelmo, thank you! That was a thoughtful, informative response. LOVE the support and shared experiences on this thread. I learn something new here every day.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    @peleroja those are the ones I remember too.

@ythannah I watched them in the original airings as well. I had such a crush on Wheels!
  • LBuehrle8
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    @peleroja those are the ones I remember too.

@ythannah I watched them in the original airings as well. I had such a crush on Wheels!

@Glinda1971 I always think of Glinda the good witch when you post :) That's a good thing because she's awesome!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    Arg.

I confess that I've been fighting getting readers for a few months now. About a year ago it was like a switch got flipped in my head. I suddenly couldn't read magazines, ingredients on packaging, and audits at work were giving me headaches.

Soooo I finally went and bought some $20 Foster Grant readers at the store...and it makes all the difference in the world. DAMMIT.

I had 20/16 vision growing up & through adulthood, but now at age 46 it's official...I'm the reader-perched-on-the-head-guy.

DAMMIT

Isn't that awful how it seems to happen overnight? At 45, I'm the little old lady in the store holding a pill bottle about 2 feet from my face so I can read it. LOL
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    i hide m&m's in an old margarine container so my son and husband can't find them. I don't binge on them but I want to know they are there when i want a treat. I even count the darn things out so I can log them
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Arg.

DAMMIT

Isn't that awful how it seems to happen overnight? At 45, I'm the little old lady in the store holding a pill bottle about 2 feet from my face so I can read it. LOL
    I'm with you both. Last Friday I was asked to take pictures with someone's iphone. I didn't have my specs with me, so I just pointed it, pressed the button a bunch of times and hoped for the best.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    rosehips60 wrote: »
    i hide m&m's in an old margarine container so my son and husband can't find them. I don't binge on them but I want to know they are there when i want a treat. I even count the darn things out so I can log them
    I have a stash at the back of the pantry which contains little baggies of weighed Reece's pieces, Cadbury buttons, mini eggs and various other snack-sized treats that my kids would go through in seconds if allowed access.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Arg.

DAMMIT

Oh, I'm so resisting this myself! Exactly the same for me. I'm 43 but recently I struggle to read packaging and the names of the color on the bottom of nail polish. So far, I'm taking the approach that my eyes are not getting bad due to age, but the darn print is getting smaller! Solution: I carry a small magnifying glass in my purse. I'll resist buying readers for as long as I can. My whole life I've been the only person in my family with perfect eyesight. So depressing.
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options

YESS DEGRASSIIII! My step-dad worked the lighting on the show when I was young so I got to be on set occasionally, which leads me to say that Drake is AWESOME. Or well was, I dunno but he humoured little me so he's good in my books haha

That's the one I don't know! I only know the low-budget ones with the "Wake up in the morning, feelin' shy and lonely, gee I gotta go to school..." theme song and Joey Jeremiah playing keyboards in the Zit Remedy and Shane getting Spike pregnant and those stupid twins. All I know about the remake is that Drake used to play a character people refer to as "wheelchair Jimmy."

i used to watch the degrassi w/spike on pbs!
  • riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Arg.

DAMMIT

Oh, I'm so resisting this myself! Exactly the same for me. I'm 43 but recently I struggle to read packaging and the names of the color on the bottom of nail polish. So far, I'm taking the approach that my eyes are not getting bad due to age, but the darn print is getting smaller! Solution: I carry a small magnifying glass in my purse. I'll resist buying readers for as long as I can. My whole life I've been the only person in my family with perfect eyesight. So depressing.

I admit I am 44 now and about 6 months ago I gave in and bought a pair of readers. It was a sad day but on the upside I have gotten some compliments on how well they suit me :)