weight loss low carb

Options

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    @SezxyStef thank u for your info but post what I want

Sorry but this is a public forum and just because you are the OP doesn't mean you can dictate what others post...

Low carb is fine but not necessary and once you introduce them back you will find an influx of weight gain...why? a few reasons, glycogen stores being filled and there goes your calorie deficit...that is why moderation and no elimination is typically a better approach.

Who says you have to introduce carbs back tho? Do people tell the calorie counters that 'hey once you go back to eating high calorie you'll gain all the weight back'? It's true that if you go back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place, you will become fat again, BUT low carb is absolutely just as sustainable as calorie counting (which, unfortunately, BOTH methods have abysmal long term track records, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't try!). It boils down to preferences - for some people eating the same foods, just less of them, will work, for others changing up what they eat entirely works better. It's all about what the individual can stick with long term.

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    lol too funny
    All these people given answers to no question......

rofl
    in for the gif's
    Bring them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Sorry but this is a public forum and just because you are the OP doesn't mean you can dictate what others post...

Low carb is fine but not necessary and once you introduce them back you will find an influx of weight gain...why? a few reasons, glycogen stores being filled and there goes your calorie deficit...that is why moderation and no elimination is typically a better approach.

Who says you have to introduce carbs back tho? Do people tell the calorie counters that 'hey once you go back to eating high calorie you'll gain all the weight back'? It's true that if you go back to eating the way that got you fat in the first place, you will become fat again, BUT low carb is absolutely just as sustainable as calorie counting (which, unfortunately, BOTH methods have abysmal long term track records, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't try!). It boils down to preferences - for some people eating the same foods, just less of them, will work, for others changing up what they eat entirely works better. It's all about what the individual can stick with long term.

the only time I could see reintroducing would be for a bulk cycle or if one felt their overall gym, training, etc performance was suffering...

but I will let Steff answer that one..
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Because the "low carb diet" is the in thing now.....just like all the other "diets" in the past, just another fad diet. LOL ;)

Yeah, that 100 year old fad really hasn't been around that long at all, amazing doctors have been prescribing it at all when it's only been successful longer than the FDA has existed. What's next, the sage wisdom that as soon as you eat carbs again, CICO magically stops working, or the advice that it can't be done long term?

LC is nothing more than IIFYM with a big gap between carbs and fat. Why do you hate IIFYM so much?
    Where did state that I hated IIFYM???
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Because the "low carb diet" is the in thing now.....just like all the other "diets" in the past, just another fad diet. LOL ;)

Yeah, that 100 year old fad really hasn't been around that long at all, amazing doctors have been prescribing it at all when it's only been successful longer than the FDA has existed. What's next, the sage wisdom that as soon as you eat carbs again, CICO magically stops working, or the advice that it can't be done long term?

LC is nothing more than IIFYM with a big gap between carbs and fat. Why do you hate IIFYM so much?

I am not aware of an IIFYM version that restricts foods....

LC doesn't restrict foods. If you really wanted to, you could have that fun sized snickers bar for breakfast and not eat any other carbs for the rest of the day. It's just more intelligent to use that macro for things like vegetables. People on LC often choose to restrict foods because they have other conditions that warrant it, like diabetes or IR. That's a personal choice, just like people who don't like spinach or are allergic to nuts choose not to eat spinach or nuts, even though they'd fit their macros.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    popcorn_guy-90406.gif
  • JPW1990
    Options
    popcorn_guy-90406.gif

Amateur

Popcorn-Shower.gif
  • ndj1979
    edited June 2015
    Options

LC doesn't restrict foods. If you really wanted to, you could have that fun sized snickers bar for breakfast and not eat any other carbs for the rest of the day. It's just more intelligent to use that macro for things like vegetables. People on LC often choose to restrict foods because they have other conditions that warrant it, like diabetes or IR. That's a personal choice, just like people who don't like spinach or are allergic to nuts choose not to eat spinach or nuts, even though they'd fit their macros.

really? So you are not restricting your carb intake to a certain level?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    2 lbs down in 5 days following low carb/high fat diet. 8 lbs to go. :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Only time someone should be on low carb diet is for medical reasons, otherwise most people do it because they think they will lose weight quicker, as per the OP stated below:

andrealopez12 wrote: »
    2pounds down so ummmm thisno carb diet I like!!!!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    dewsmom78 wrote: »
    2 lbs down in 5 days following low carb/high fat diet. 8 lbs to go. :)
    Here is another one: ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

You don't have to. That being said lots who "try" low carb for weight loss eventually do as they feel "empty"...this is speaking from experience.

And yes we tell people who count calories if you eat higher than maintenance calories you will gain weight.

Low carb is sustainable for some...not all. Speaking from experience.

and yes it does come to preferences...and preferences come from education not following a fad because you heard it was great for weight loss...

Again tho realistically speaking...how many times has a poster asked about low carb because they heard it was a great way to lose weight only to come back to say...couldn't do it...or I gain it all back...

I tried low carb, lost a tonne of weight fast...gained it all back 3x...realized it just wasn't sustainable...and lots agree....and yes there is a group here that disagrees...
  • JPW1990
    Options

Are you not?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Are you not?

nope, I eat about 180 grams of carbs a day on average. Sometimes more, sometimes a little less...even more if I am running a bulk.
  • JPW1990
    Options

Only time someone should be on low carb diet is for medical reasons, otherwise most people do it because they think they will lose weight quicker, as per the OP stated below:

So anyone who changes their macros from 50/30/20 to 30/30/40 is doing it wrong, because they've lowered their carbs?
  • ndj1979
    Options

So anyone who changes their macros from 50/30/20 to 30/30/40 is doing it wrong, because they've lowered their carbs?

30% carbs is low carb, really?
  • JPW1990
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Why do you hate accepting the fact that the people that say they follow IIFYM don't eat donuts all day, actually pay attention to nutritional needs, are hungry all day and aren't sugar addicts?

It's based on a statement they like to make that we don't realize that in reality IIFYM is pretty much LC but we don't see that.

You seem to have me confused with one of your groupies.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    dtw44 wrote: »
    For those of you saying things like "a calorie is a calorie", it's actually not true for everyone. Everybody's bodies are different. My body in particular, to my extreme dismay, does not lose weight as quickly when I eat higher glycemic foods. It really sucks but that's just the way my body functions.

is that even the topic here? Or is this just a general thread to post anything?

FYI - 1000 calories of donuts = 1000 calories of vegetables from an energy standpoint, however, they are not the same nutritionally.

Do you have a medial condition? I would assume yes...

Yes, there are a host of related medical conditions that are generally related to over consumption of carbs over a long period of time, insulin resistance, Type 2 diabetes, diabetes mellitus, some forms of cancer, atherosclerosis...

Over consumption of carbs also creates inflammatory markers that increase the incidence/severity of other problems such as cancer, enlarged prostate, acne, Krohn's, diverticulitis... There were studies that actually pointed this out before Ancel Keys made his recommendations to the USDA in 1958. However, they were ignored as they generally are today.

From the latest statistics on Obesity and Type 2 diabetes in the US it seems that about 60% of the US population suffers from at least one of these conditions.

• ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Why do you hate accepting the fact that the people that say they follow IIFYM don't eat donuts all day, actually pay attention to nutritional needs, are hungry all day and aren't sugar addicts?

It's based on a statement they like to make that we don't realize that in reality IIFYM is pretty much LC but we don't see that.

You seem to have me confused with one of your groupies.

that's amusing considering all the LC'ers came flying into this thread to defend a thread with no topic...
This discussion has been closed.