What do you all do to strengthen willpower???

Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I find it funny that fitness pal is for losing weight, but people are very defensive about cutting crappy sugary foods.

Because you can lose weight and have sugary foods. You don't need to cut them out of your life completely.

Some of us have found out that restricting them completely led to cycles of perfect restriction followed by binging followed by more restriction and so on.

I'm off that rollercoaster.

Today's sugar consumption? 35 calories of mini chocolate chips stirred into my yogurt and raspberries. A little treat, hardly any calories, fit into a teeny calorie allowance, and I'm perfectly satisfied.

Agreed, you don't need to cut them out completely. But they sure are a trigger food for a lot of people.

Yes, but contrary to your line of reasoning, that by no means everyone needs to cut out or even reduce sugary foods. Don't extrapolate your issues to everyone else.

Agree. Not everybody, or even a lot of people, have a problem with "trigger foods." In fact, I would say "trigger foods" is a state of mind. :)

Cosigned from a deep place of btdt, got the hell over myself

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I used to be super strict with my diet but it seems that sugar has gotten the best of me lately (normally only at night) and I feel like I go in zombie mode... How do you guys strengthen your willpower? :)

Goals - important goals - other than the number on the scale.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Yes! Hardcore music really gets me going :) I also love to meditate and do yoga because I feel as if I become more mindful. I love your advice!

The 'witness your thoughts' meditation might be a good technique to try for food impulses/cravings. You've actually just reminded me of it so I'm going to try it myself! I found it very helpful when I quit smoking six years ago and let the thoughts of cigarettes float by like clouds in the sky... :smile:

qkgoyf55cx5f.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Trigger words. Trigger food. When did people start being so passive about their own lives?

It does tend to drive me barmy. I've been the victim of a violent crime, one where... yes, there was a time in its aftermath that things "triggered" flashbacks. That's a normal part of recovery. Note the word recovery, it's important.

It was 35 years ago. I'm no longer his victim at this point, though. And that't the whole thing that does me in about the whole mentality of pleading "trigger". It paints you as a victim of something. Who wants to be a victim? Who wants to stay in a state of perpetual victimhood?

I really do not get the power people constantly give away. Everyone is so much stronger than they think.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Trigger words. Trigger food. When did people start being so passive about their own lives?

It does tend to drive me barmy. I've been the victim of a violent crime, one where... yes, there was a time in its aftermath that things "triggered" flashbacks. That's a normal part of recovery. Note the word recovery, it's important.

It was 35 years ago. I'm no longer his victim at this point, though. And that't the whole thing that does me in about the whole mentality of pleading "trigger". It paints you as a victim of something. Who wants to be a victim? Who wants to stay in a state of perpetual victimhood?

I really do not get the power people constantly give away. Everyone is so much stronger than they think.
    Yes.

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    I find it funny that fitness pal is for losing weight, but people are very defensive about cutting crappy sugary foods.
    Because it's possible to lose weight while eating crappy, sugary, delicious food.

Yes, but in the long run, you will not sustain your weight.

And while eating sugar and still keeping to your calories....it is still not good for you. The way your body digests it is really bad for our systems. Whach Fed Up.....it will change your mind. I never realized until I saw it myself! It's very informative. I honestly believe now a calorie is not just a calorie. Some are good for our bodies and some our not.
    Just my thoughts :smile:
    Because it's possible to lose weight while eating crappy, sugary, delicious food.

And while eating sugar and still keeping to your calories....it is still not good for you. The way your body digests it is really bad for our systems. Whach Fed Up.....it will change your mind. I never realized until I saw it myself! It's very informative. I honestly believe now a calorie is not just a calorie. Some are good for our bodies and some our not.

Sorry but the Fed Up documentary is just a movie that misrepresents how the body works just to push their own agenda. Can you tell me in your own words how the glucose in fruit and the glucose in candy or rice or bread get processed different from each other. Please don't day fiber because fiber doesn't make glucose not be glucose. And please don't say to watch Fed Up because that's not the answer. I want your answer. An actual answer.

I'm not a doctor or scientist so there is no way I can give you an answer. It's just what I believe and how my body feels when i do not eat sugar or processed foods. Everyone has their own opnion and I was only giving mine.

You cannot feel how your body processing 1 sugar from another. You are admitting that you accept what a documentary tells you without having any idea of how the body works. You don't need to be a scientist or doctor to understand the process. All you need is to be able to read. Do you real how little sense it makes to just accept something because it's what you want to believe? Or how it isn't doing any service to members when you push that movie that pushes a theory that you don't understand? You are following it blindly and are telling other to follow you blindly.
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You don't eat fruit?

I eat fruit....in moderation. I don't eat food with ADDED sugar.

Oh good...then you should be able to explain why they are different then, right?

Wow...people are so quick to jump on you if they don't agree. I was only stating what I believe and how I feel! But this is what I think about the difference if you must know:

Fruit contains many benefits compared to refined sugar. Besides being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, fruit is an excellent source of fiber. The presence of fiber in fruit determines what happens to fruit sugars in your body and how quickly they are broken down in your gastrointestinal tract. Unlike refined sugar, fiber in fruit expands in your gut, making you feel full. Fiber is the biggest secret as to why fruit sugars are not as dangerous as refined sugar, preventing the sugars from being rapidly broken down and stored.

Fiber and nutrients don't make sugar not be sugar. That's the point. Presenting it as something is not does not help anyone learn how things work.

I didn't say I could feel my body processing sugar differently. I said I feel better when I don't eat foods with added sugar and processed foods. It's just my choice. I don't think fiber doesn't make sugar in fruit not sugar but it isn't a refined, processed sugar. I've never really craved sugar anyway as it was not a part of my diet from a young age. My parents were pretty strict. My choice to eat fresh vegetables, fruit,lean meats, no soda, no boxed dinners or frozen meals is how I have chosen to eat. I didn't just start to feel this way when I watched Fed Up and like a dummy decided this is what I have to do because "they" said it. It's just helped my decision. I don't see anything wrong with the way I eat. And I never told anyone this is what they should do....only that it is working for me.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    "Fed Up" is pandering nonsense.

And no one really cares if you don't want to eat sugar.

It doesn't make you superior, no matter how hard you wish it does.

If you weren't looking for a pat on the back, you wouldn't have mentioned it at all, nor would you have continued to bang on about it.

Get your validation elsewhere, preferably from the other "sugar is the worst thing ever and will kill you immediately" winners on this site.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat an entire bag of sugar.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Sorry but the Fed Up documentary is just a movie that misrepresents how the body works just to push their own agenda. Can you tell me in your own words how the glucose in fruit and the glucose in candy or rice or bread get processed different from each other. Please don't day fiber because fiber doesn't make glucose not be glucose. And please don't say to watch Fed Up because that's not the answer. I want your answer. An actual answer.

I'm not a doctor or scientist so there is no way I can give you an answer. It's just what I believe and how my body feels when i do not eat sugar or processed foods. Everyone has their own opnion and I was only giving mine.

You cannot feel how your body processing 1 sugar from another. You are admitting that you accept what a documentary tells you without having any idea of how the body works. You don't need to be a scientist or doctor to understand the process. All you need is to be able to read. Do you real how little sense it makes to just accept something because it's what you want to believe? Or how it isn't doing any service to members when you push that movie that pushes a theory that you don't understand? You are following it blindly and are telling other to follow you blindly.
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You don't eat fruit?

I eat fruit....in moderation. I don't eat food with ADDED sugar.

Oh good...then you should be able to explain why they are different then, right?

Wow...people are so quick to jump on you if they don't agree. I was only stating what I believe and how I feel! But this is what I think about the difference if you must know:

Fruit contains many benefits compared to refined sugar. Besides being rich in antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, fruit is an excellent source of fiber. The presence of fiber in fruit determines what happens to fruit sugars in your body and how quickly they are broken down in your gastrointestinal tract. Unlike refined sugar, fiber in fruit expands in your gut, making you feel full. Fiber is the biggest secret as to why fruit sugars are not as dangerous as refined sugar, preventing the sugars from being rapidly broken down and stored.

Fiber and nutrients don't make sugar not be sugar. That's the point. Presenting it as something is not does not help anyone learn how things work.

I didn't say I could feel my body processing sugar differently. I said I feel better when I don't eat foods with added sugar and processed foods. It's just my choice. I don't think fiber doesn't make sugar in fruit not sugar but it isn't a refined, processed sugar. I've never really craved sugar anyway as it was not a part of my diet from a young age. My parents were pretty strict. My choice to eat fresh vegetables, fruit,lean meats, no soda, no boxed dinners or frozen meals is how I have chosen to eat. I didn't just start to feel this way when I watched Fed Up and like a dummy decided this is what I have to do because "they" said it. It's just helped my decision. I don't see anything wrong with the way I eat. And I never told anyone this is what they should do....only that it is working for me.

According to your diary you do eat processed foods, though.

Not that there's anything wrong with that--with the exception of the juice the processed foods you choose are ones I'd personally find healthy additions to my diet (although I don't care for canned tuna). But that's the problem with these blanket condemnations of "processed" food. Most of the foods we buy are processed in some way, and that doesn't make them good or bad for us--you need to look at the specifics and how they fit into your overall diet and also what your goals are.

For example, I very commonly eat cottage cheese or greek yogurt (plain, sometimes from a local farm) with breakfast and I also commonly eat smoked salmon with breakfast. I do this because I like to have more protein than I get from just my omelet. All of these foods are processed, but they are IMO good for me, since they contribute nutrients that improve my overall diet, are filling, and I like them.

Similarly, for a time I tried including some premade lunches from a local company that uses really good ingredients and made meals according to the same principles that I usually apply when making lunches. Mostly I wanted some new ideas, since I felt like I was in a rut. I don't see why these meals would be less nutritious than if I made them. Same thing re the lunches that I occasionally buy from various lunch places around my office (too much this week, since I've been time crunched and did not plan ahead on the weekend). I think this is bad because it's a waste of money, but again if I know the ingredients and know they fit my goals for nutrition and calories, I don't see why this makes them somehow not real food or not good for me.

Also, "lean meats" are no less processed than any other cut of meat, often more so, in fact. Again, nothing wrong with lean meats--they often fit better in my macros and calorie goals than something like pork shoulder--but there's nothing more "natural" or inherently better about them. Indeed, if one were serious about eating less processed and more back to nature, you'd want to focus on eating the whole animal, I'd think.

Just some thoughts.

The main problem with Fed Up is that it's dishonest. For example the scary claim that jarred pasta sauce has more sugar than a candy bar. That's because they aren't focusing on the serving size. And even when you look at a serving size, I compared a common store-bought variety to some tomato and veggie based sauce I made at home and the sugar content was identical. Likely the store-bought does have a bit of added sugar, but probably only a bit (adding a bit of sugar to marinara is actually traditional), because I know ALL the sugar in mine was from tomatoes and the other veggies. Oh, the horror! Anyway, I don't believe for one second that people in the US are fat or have health problems because they get a little sugar in pasta sauce or ketchup or even bread. I choose not to eat any of those foods for my own snob and taste reasons (I have always made my own pasta sauce and am really picky about bread), but it just doesn't pass the laugh test to me.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options

Exactly. It's just food. Unless you are being physically force-fed we are the ONLY ones responsible for which foods and how much of it we put in our mouths. There really is no willpower or motivation or triggers about it. It's a choice followed up by action.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Personally, I dedicate 300 to 400 calories a day to junk. You may want to do less. But no need to abstain. Just work it in. A bit a day will starve off a long term binge.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    "Fed Up" is pandering nonsense.

And no one really cares if you don't want to eat sugar.

It doesn't make you superior, no matter how hard you wish it does.

If you weren't looking for a pat on the back, you wouldn't have mentioned it at all, nor would you have continued to bang on about it.

Get your validation elsewhere, preferably from the other "sugar is the worst thing ever and will kill you immediately" winners on this site.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat an entire bag of sugar.

You must be having a bad day....Hope it get better :smile:
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Exactly. It's just food. Unless you are being physically force-fed we are the ONLY ones responsible for which foods and how much of it we put in our mouths. There really is no willpower or motivation or triggers about it. It's a choice followed up by action.

Anyone who is addicted to/overindulges in any substance (sugar, alcohol, heroin) is responsible for putting it into their mouth, or vein, or whatever. Not sure what point you think you're making here.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Anyone who is addicted to/overindulges in any substance (sugar, alcohol, heroin) is responsible for putting it into their mouth, or vein, or whatever. Not sure what point you think you're making here.

That you simply do not put the food in your mouth. That blaming it on lack of willpower or motivation or whatever is just an excuse. Which was the thread topic originally.
  • swilkinson0705
    swilkinson0705 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Sugar is not the devil, and if you are not diabetic, you can have it (like most other things) in moderation....
    Maybe you won't have to strengthen your willpower if you don't but crazy strict limitations on yourself...I lost almost 60 lbs and kept it off and still had something sweet every day, and pizza and wine on weekends....
    A lot of people are addicted to sugar. Having just a little bit of it gets them craving it all the time. Sometimes it is better to not even taste it. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to have just a little.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are addicted to sugar. Having just a little bit of it gets them craving it all the time.

That's not what addiction means.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have a big, sugary cake right by my desk right now. And I love cake. Even the word "cake" just sounds amazing to me. I'm resisting it only because I know the sugar isn't going to make me feel better. It isn't going to give me more energy (and if it does, it'll be followed by a hard crash), it'll inhibit my ability to work out at lunch as early as I wanted to, and it'll be an additional 140 calories (per very tiny 1/2 piece) I can't eat in food that will actually keep me full.

Six months ago, I would've said "screw it, I deserve it" without thinking twice about it. At least today, I'm pausing to consider the pros and cons. That's what is helping me stay away.

It sounds like you are making a choice based on some reasonable information, not avoiding it because you it "triggers" you or because it's evil. Am I correct on that?

Not eating for your own reasons and/or moderating is healthy, forever avoidance or overdoing is not.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

It is impossible to avoid all foods with sugar, therefore you must be eating some sugar.

Fed Up is a movie based in fear.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Another way to get willpower is to look in the mirror and work up some disgust about your fat. I don't think "body acceptance" is necessarily a good thing, excepting extreme cases. You can still love and respect yourself, while hating your excess, harmful fat.

I disagree. Why hate any part of yourself? When we're fat, it belongs to us until we decide to get rid of it. Love and hate do not go hand in hand, as both come from within as messages from ourselves.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Screw willpower. I just try to arrange circumstances the best that I can. That means a house filled with the proper foods for me and exercise that I actually enjoy. It means a bit of planning and thought and taking one thing at a time. It means recognizing I'm human and one or two or even three mistakes don't negate the good days. Anyone who acts like they white-knuckle their way through anything challenging with an iron will is completely full of crap.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

It is impossible to avoid all foods with sugar, therefore you must be eating some sugar.

Fed Up is a movie based in fear.

lol I have been seeing a lot more people touting crazy Netflix "documentaries" lately for some reason...