What do you all do to strengthen willpower???

Options
14567810»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    and no you cannot say fiber makes that sugar different.

After all, would you tell an alcoholic that wine is just fine if you add Metamucil?!

Yum. ;-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol I have been seeing a lot more people touting crazy Netflix "documentaries" lately for some reason...

This may be our near future. My daughter and her family have disconnected cable to save money, and now watch a steady diet of Netflix documentaries. (They haven't given up internet, of course). We may be creating a whole new generation of pseudo-experts. **shudders**
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    and no you cannot say fiber makes that sugar different.

After all, would you tell an alcoholic that wine is just fine if you add Metamucil?!

Yum. ;-)

does that work? I read it on the internet so it must be true. trying it now
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Another way to get willpower is to look in the mirror and work up some disgust about your fat. I don't think "body acceptance" is necessarily a good thing, excepting extreme cases. You can still love and respect yourself, while hating your excess, harmful fat.

I disagree. Why hate any part of yourself?.
    Because it was killing me. I'd hate a cancer tumor, too.

• DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »
    "Fed Up" is pandering nonsense.

And no one really cares if you don't want to eat sugar.

It doesn't make you superior, no matter how hard you wish it does.

If you weren't looking for a pat on the back, you wouldn't have mentioned it at all, nor would you have continued to bang on about it.

Get your validation elsewhere, preferably from the other "sugar is the worst thing ever and will kill you immediately" winners on this site.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go eat an entire bag of sugar.

You must be having a bad day....Hope it get better :smile:

I'm having a swell day.

Your condescension is an unnecessary passive aggressive joke, and I'll thank you to keep it to yourself going forward.

Keep projecting, cupcake.

I'm not the one who buys into fear mongering NetFlix bollocks.

I've got a bridge to sell you at a good price, if you're interested.

I'll just wait for the tasty pastry that is schadenfreude, because we all fail at one time or another.

Some of us just accept it and don't bother pretending that our pedestals are unshakeable.

• ashleyhetzel92
    ashleyhetzel92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just always keep your goal in mind
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Another way to get willpower is to look in the mirror and work up some disgust about your fat. I don't think "body acceptance" is necessarily a good thing, excepting extreme cases. You can still love and respect yourself, while hating your excess, harmful fat.

I disagree. Why hate any part of yourself?.
    Because it was killing me. I'd hate a cancer tumor, too.

Tex, I understand that obesity kills people, just like cancer does, but--we cause ourselves to get overweight by eating, but cancer is a bit different; sure, we can do things that bring it on, but we can also get cancer without having done anything to cause it.

When I was fat, I didn't just hate my fat, I hated myself because I'd allowed myself to get fat and unhealthy. In other words, there was no separation between hating my fat and not hating myself, because of all the internal crap I fed myself (pardon the pun :)).

So, my question: how is it even possible to separate your fat from yourself? I'd love to hear more about this from you, since you believe that you can love and respect yourself while hating your fat. It just does not compute with me. :)

Also, since @Must_deflate posted about body disgust, maybe we can hear where he/she is coming from as well. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Sugar is not the devil, and if you are not diabetic, you can have it (like most other things) in moderation....
    Maybe you won't have to strengthen your willpower if you don't but crazy strict limitations on yourself...I lost almost 60 lbs and kept it off and still had something sweet every day, and pizza and wine on weekends....
    A lot of people are addicted to sugar. Having just a little bit of it gets them craving it all the time. Sometimes it is better to not even taste it. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to have just a little.

So if you are addicted to sugar then you cannot eat fruit, bread, rice, vegetables etc. You can't eat any of it. And no you can't just decide you are addicted to added sugar only and no you cannot say fiber makes that sugar different. If you're an addict then you're an addict, not a selective addict. You don't pick and choose. You want to go out and compare it to an alcoholic, same thing so many try to compare it to but let me ask you this, if someone is addicted to cocaine and they have access to some but the only one around it isn't considered good, do you think that addict is going to say "Nah, I only like good cocaine I'm not going to do that one"? An addict is always an addict, it doesn't change because a little fiber pops up.

I'm only addicted to processed, added sugar, not natural sugar. Also, I'm kind of pregnant.

I thought you looked pregnant in that profile picture.....

• SLLRunner
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Trigger words. Trigger food. When did people start being so passive about their own lives?

It does tend to drive me barmy. I've been the victim of a violent crime, one where... yes, there was a time in its aftermath that things "triggered" flashbacks. That's a normal part of recovery. Note the word recovery, it's important.

It was 35 years ago. I'm no longer his victim at this point, though. And that't the whole thing that does me in about the whole mentality of pleading "trigger". It paints you as a victim of something. Who wants to be a victim? Who wants to stay in a state of perpetual victimhood?

I really do not get the power people constantly give away. Everyone is so much stronger than they think.

Exactly. It's just food. Unless you are being physically force-fed we are the ONLY ones responsible for which foods and how much of it we put in our mouths. There really is no willpower or motivation or triggers about it. It's a choice followed up by action.

Anyone who is addicted to/overindulges in any substance (sugar, alcohol, heroin) is responsible for putting it into their mouth, or vein, or whatever. Not sure what point you think you're making here.

Chrys, here you go again using sugar and alcohol and drugs in the same sentence to implicate that sugar is an addiction. It simply is not.

Besides, this is not a sugar addiction thread, it's a willpower one. ;)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    ...so sugar water with a tablespoon of Metamucil would do about the same thing, right?

Who'd want to eat that instead of a cup of yummy raspberries, though?
  • lindseyyoungg
    lindseyyoungg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I get hungry or crave sugar late at night, I try to go to sleep. I know that's odd, but I just think that if I go to bed then, I can wake up and have a fulfilling breakfast without having the regrets of eating candy or sugar at midnight the night before.

I used to buy candy and sugar filled foods, but now that I don't buy them, I don't crave them as much. Try to stop buying as much and you'll slowly stop craving. When you start eating healthier and exercising as well, the cravings fade. This definitely happened to me! I reward myself with a candy bar or the sugar filled sweet that I want once a week. To make a goal to work too!!