Grain free and down ten pounds!

Options

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Regarding insulin resistance. I was diagnosed with IR and hypothyroidism. I have lost weight by removing grains and by not removing grains. I wrote a post comparing both methods, and my weight loss was near identical both times. I'm currently eating lc and feel great. I also felt great when I wasn't eating low carb and was only restricting my caloric intake.

Weight loss on its own was enough to normalize my bg and give me more energy. People with IR will lose weight eating at a deficit even if they are eating grains.

Now some people with ibs or other digestive disorders may feel better removing grain from their diet, but it's not necessary for healthy individuals for weight loss.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    jrosto wrote: »
    It is interesting that someone posts a success story about how her body reacted to cutting grains and instantly the haters come out to play.

My N-1 experiment

Cut all grains and processed sugars. During the weight loss phase of my journey kept carbs below 50 gr/day. Also eliminated most vegetable and seed oils. Fats used were coconut oil, animal fats, and olive oil.

Successes:

Lost 90 pounds (go ahead, call that water weight) and have maintained that loss for over 3 months now.
    Acne disappeared.

A couple other skin issues that were not resolved using doctor recommended cortisone creams disappeared.
    Energy levels are thru the roof.

I had a bilateral lung transplant in January. Out of the more than 500 lung transplants performed by my team, I had the fastest recovery. I was out of the hospital in 9 days.

During post transplant pulmonary rehab, I had the 2nd best Six Minute Walk Test (6MWT) results ever. #1 was a early 30's Army Ranger. I am 53.

The lung disease I had was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, and I was end stage. One symptom that many IPF'rs have is a debilitating cough that often required morphine to control. After removing grains and sugars the cough went away. That is huge. I have helped a few others also eliminate these foods and they have also seen great results.

I continue to recover ahead of the curve, and my recovery success is in a large part due to my healthy nutrition.
    And no, I do not have Celiac Disease.

It is interesting how people feel that they have to jump in and try to debase a grain free diet every time there is a post in this forum. You know, if you want to eat wonder bread and pasta every day, go for it. I don't care what you do with your life. You want to be a vegetarian and post about how wonderful that lifestyle is, good on you. I'll not troll your post and try to convince you otherwise. Why is it you all feel so driven to try and dissuade those of us who have found success with a grain free lifestyle?

I think it's awesome how you have improved your health through diet. You have underlying medical conditions that can often be affected positively by diet changes.
    The only thing I want to make clear to others is that cutting out grains isn't NECESSARY for people without underlying medical conditions to lose weight. The OP seems to claim that they CANNOT lose weight without cutting out grains, but that is highly unlikely, unless, again, she has some undiagnosed medical condition. And I argue against anyone who tries to debunk the CICO equation. Many people cut out foods like grains and sugars, but yet keep the same intake, and wonder why they are not losing weight. They have a misguided idea of what is necessary to lose weight. I would like them to be re-educated.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

So pointing out lies and fallacies is being a hater? Good to know.

No, but spewing ignorance and making ad homenim attacks is. If you were actually interested in the science, I would try to help you with your ignorance, but it is obvious that your main interest is in being a Troll. So it's really not worth my time.

There is not harm in eliminating grains. The few nutrients that my be found in them can also easily be found in other whole foods such as vegetables, nuts and non-grain seeds. Grains have anti nutrients and too many empty calories for my liking. Not eating grains will not adversely effect health, so I do not understand the virulent opposition to a grain free lifestyle that is found on this site.

The main difference between me and you is that I don't really care how you achieve your success. If you posted that you acquired those abs by eating gummy bears and doing 12 oz curls, I'd congratulate you on your success and hard work and move on. A slightly different approach than you.

Where did I "spew ignorance" and please specifically quote my ad hominem attack? It's more than likely I'm a little more well versed in the science side of things than you. Esp considering statements like this"It is interesting that someone posts a success story about how her body reacted to cutting grains and instantly the haters come out to play." Which I had already tried to point out, if she did not control for potential confounders there's no way she could point to, it was the elimination of grains and not some other change.

Where did I say anything about harm in eliminating grains? And since this statement lacks context, like most ignorant people, "Not eating grains will not adversely effect health" is untrue. For instance in poor developing countries, where food security is a serious issue, I'd be willing to guess that not eating grains would negatively affect health. But then again I'm the ignorant one here. Also if you find some of my posts, I have posted quite a few times on the anti nutrients found in grains, particularly phytates, but again you're the one in the know here

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I also understand that some may cut out foods for other reasons than weight loss.
    Eating sugary foods causes my reflux to flare up. It doesn't prevent me from losing weight, though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    dreena222 wrote: »
    Very simple, I don't eat any bread, pasta, (even gluten free), cereal, rice etc. I have been eating only eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruit and I love Greek yogurt. I started this 3 weeks ago and I have lost 10 pounds. The only thing I changed is that I eliminated grains. I don't believe we need grains to be healthy.

so you removed a bunch of calorie dense foods and lost weight?

why is this surprising…?

YOu could of done the same by just reducing your intake of everything. Unless you have some kind of medical condition/food allergy not reference in you OP …?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have decreased calories without weight loss in the past, that's my point. I have no scientific info for anyone. I just want to share my story in hope that it will help someone else.

were you weighing all foods with a food scale????

look, you are not the one person that eats in a calorie deficit and does not lose weight. no matter what you think that basic principles of math and science still apply to you.

congrats on your loss, but it could of been accomplished by just reducing overall intake.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    AppletronX wrote: »

So pointing out lies and fallacies is being a hater? Good to know.

No, but spewing ignorance and making ad homenim attacks is. If you were actually interested in the science, I would try to help you with your ignorance, but it is obvious that your main interest is in being a Troll. So it's really not worth my time.

There is not harm in eliminating grains. The few nutrients that my be found in them can also easily be found in other whole foods such as vegetables, nuts and non-grain seeds. Grains have anti nutrients and too many empty calories for my liking. Not eating grains will not adversely effect health, so I do not understand the virulent opposition to a grain free lifestyle that is found on this site.

The main difference between me and you is that I don't really care how you achieve your success. If you posted that you acquired those abs by eating gummy bears and doing 12 oz curls, I'd congratulate you on your success and hard work and move on. A slightly different approach than you.

Good post I would say.

I see you took the advice that when you make an alt account to change the age. Still too obvious -10/10
  • PMTpower
    PMTpower Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Very simple, I don't eat any bread, pasta, (even gluten free), cereal, rice etc. I have been eating only eggs, cheese, meat, vegetables, fruit and I love Greek yogurt. I started this 3 weeks ago and I have lost 10 pounds. The only thing I changed is that I eliminated grains. I don't believe we need grains to be healthy.

You didn't answer the question, what did you replace the grains with in order to keep macronutrient percentage and caloric intake constant?

You replace your carbs with vegetables and fruits - seeds, nuts, and meat compromise a small amount of carbs but mostly fat and protein. I didn't do paleo or a grain free diet to lose weight - I know I can achieve weight loss by not doing a grain free diet. I do it because it makes me feel good... It reduced my migraines, curbed my cravings and I also intermittently fast - with a paleo diet, low sugar diet - my insulin levels are always in check, and that helps with the cravings and helps me get through my fast. Insulin is involved in fat storage - by keeping it at a constant level and avoiding high spikes of the hormone - it prevents fat storage - my fat intake is about 30-40% but my cholesterol levels are pristine - LDL of 70, HDL (good cholesterol) of 90 (1 of the highest my doctor has seen and I have seen - I am a physician myself). I have a clear mind everyday and I have great energy despite having a new 5 month old baby to take care of.... So somebody saying going grain free can deplete you of brain cells?? I think it's quite the opposite - you see grains particularly wheat have been linked to opiate receptors... Which explains why wheat/grain eaters do go to a withdrawal phase when they go to a grain/ wheat free diet.... So would you rather be a prisoner to your food? I am not.... Hehe I'm paleo and grain free and I feel good. So guess what if all you grain lovers out there love your grains go ahead eat your grains - I know I'm not going to part of that anymore!
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I consider grains to be animal feed. Not really fit for human consumption. Since I gave up sugar and grains I haven't lost weight at a quicker rate as those calories have been replaced with other foods. However, I nap only rarely now. A couple health issues are slowly improving. Those who are challenging OP -- have you tried going sugar and grain free to see what effect it has on you? If not, you really don't have an argument. Carry on.
  • 31flavors
    31flavors Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Good job Dreena! You found what works for you, and that's all that really matters.
  • maxoverdrv69
    maxoverdrv69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sure, going low carb will drop a large amount of water weight. I "dropped" twelve pounds in two days in order to make weight for a competition by doing that. It's water weight though, so it all returned once I started eating carbs again.

If it makes you feel better, more power to you. I wouldn't recommend it as a crutch, however, because it's not going to make you lose weight. With the water weight gone, you're still going to need to eat a deficit in order to lose weight, which you weren't doing previously.

Good point, I lost 35lbs over 7 months. I have been Gluten Free for all 7 months and achieving the same results that most people experience better sleep, more energy, etc. I also incorporated a workout routine to maximize muscle gain while losing the weight. Eating more healthier fats instead of empty carbs will help your body burn fat faster. Keep in mind I said health fats cottage cheese, eggs, grass feed beef, chicken, almonds, cashews, etc. The unhealthy fat just fell off and quick.
  • minakshihall
    minakshihall Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. I wish I could do grain free. I ave eliminated dairy (milk, cheese and yogurt), sugar, hidden sugars, processed food, white rice, white bread and pasta from my diet. I am not grain free though. I eat the bread we make at home two to four times a week using Multi grain Flour. This bread is unleavened. I also eat Ezekiel bread if I am craving bread. I do eat legumes not sure if this counts as grain. I am trying to eat high protein, high fat and moderate carb diet. I am feeling good and it gives me good energy so I can workout at gym. I have cut out caffeine completely except Advocare Spark few times a week. I wish I did not love bread so much because I am not seeing drastic weight loss though I have lost dress size. Sometimes scales can be discouraging. Love to hear the people have lost 10 pounds in three weeks. I feel lean but my scale won't budge past 147 pounds. Good job you guys :smile:
  • ms_true
    ms_true Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @minakshihall I've recommended this a few times now...It's very calorific so I substitute homemade unsweetened applesauce for olive oil, use half the honey, and cut it into 18 slices. I also add cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Keeps well in the fridge for several days or freeze. Yummy toasted with lots of butter:

Paleo Seed & Nut Bread
  • shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ms_true wrote: »
    I consider grains to be animal feed. Not really fit for human consumption. Since I gave up sugar and grains I haven't lost weight at a quicker rate as those calories have been replaced with other foods. However, I nap only rarely now. A couple health issues are slowly improving. Those who are challenging OP -- have you tried going sugar and grain free to see what effect it has on you? If not, you really don't have an argument. Carry on.

^^^This^^^
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    i have been gluten free for a year now and I have never felt better in my life but my weight hasn't moved. I recently started not eating any grains mostly as an "experiment"........it's been 3 weeks and I'm down 10 pounds! I realize it's mostly water weight, but I couldn't lose it before being grain free. My skin, my stomach, my attitude and my sleep are all improved! I am excited! Is there any one else with a similar story? I'm very interested to hear!!

@dreena222 and @jrosto stories are encouraging and thanks for sharing. N=1 stories add up over time and have helped me learn new things. 10 months ago I was sinking fast and the doctors wanted me to start Enbrel injections for pain management. Being 63 at the time and not wanting to face the added cancer risk from Enbrel I found stories similar to what you have posted and because I could not 'taper' off of sugar and grains I finally stopped eating both cold turkey. It was a hellish two weeks then the cravings quickly faded.

In 30 days my arthritis pain levels dropped from 7-8 levels most days to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. In 120 days my 40 years of IBS started to clear up as well as my stomach pain and ulcers.

In just 10 months my health is returning and at 64 is better then when I was 44. I just dropped under 200 pounds for the first time in 22 years as a by product of managing my pain by the type of foods that I eat. The 30 pounds of weight loss averaged out to 3 pounds a month. The kids turn 18 in a month and have witnessed how my health is improving now that I am off of sugar and grains (processed foods). While they are big carb eaters today at least they know what I did should they to ever develop diet related health issues like I did.

Thanks to everyone sharing with the goal just to help make life better for others like you have for yourselves.

• Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    *rolls eyes at this whole thread*

Who cares? Why does anyone feel the need to police someone else's diet? Really, people, some of you just need to log off and get a life.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    Have you seen your doctor? It sounds like you may have Celiac disease. The vast majority of people can lose weight without going grain/gluten free. I would suggest you see your doctor.

ETA: You may need to have some gluten in you in order to see if it's a problem. I'm not sure, but that's what I've heard, so make sure you get that info when you make an appointment.

Agree, maybe an undiagnosed medical condition.
    Its great that you lost the weight.

ps. studies show the rate of loss/physical effects is equal over a year with different types of diets. "water weight"