lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Nah it's good to dumb it diwn
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Nice!

Yours is awesome, mine is derivative. But I know MFP....explanations longer than 4 words often get...."lost".... :smiley:

:drinker:

It can be good to have a 'dumbed down' version as backup :)

I do have to implore you though, please change the top box to 'losing' instead of 'loosing'! Drives me up the wall :P
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Nice!

Yours is awesome, mine is derivative. But I know MFP....explanations longer than 4 words often get...."lost".... :smiley:

I do have to implore you though, please change the top box to 'losing' instead of 'loosing'! Drives me up the wall :P

:smiley:

It's that way intentionally, in homage to about 8 billion MFP threads.
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Nice!

:smiley:

It's that way intentionally, in homage to about 8 billion MFP threads.

Haha I was wondering! Sometimes it's tricky to identify sarcasm on the internet.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    Excellent! Just a heads up: in the medication bubble, you spelled "medication" "meTication" once.

Fixed:
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg

Working out 2hrs a day, at 1200 calories a day(eating) no weight loss. WHere is that in the chart??

It was actually the very first question. It had only been one week.
    I am talking about months, not a weeks. It's a common issue.

If someone is truly eating 1200 calories, working out 2 hours a day and somehow failing to lose ANY weight over two months, I'd go less with 'common issue' and more towards 'medical mystery'. Seriously, they should do scientific experiments on these oddballs, figure out if they can somehow extract this superpower and give it to starving kids in Africa so they can net 100 calories a day and not lose any body fat.

It's very common, do a search on forums for 1200 calories a day and not losing weight. The results are cause of excess stress, too much exercise, too little food. etc.. It has happened to me as well as many others. A 300lbs man(at one point me) eating 1,300 calories a day and not losing weight, makes no sense. I know. I categorize weight loss in to 3 categories

1. Moderate calorie deficit(weight loss)
    2. Extreme calorie deficit(stall out)
    3. Starvation(weight loss muscle and fat)

There was a good post with a ton of references of this issue, it was by taso42, he has been gone a long time, maybe one of the veterans has the link, they know the one i am talking about, the 1200 calorie diet with no weight loss.

Yep, there are a lot of '1200 calories and no weight loss' threads. I posted in one just yesterday. 95% of the time it turns out to be logging errors.

Ashley Swoboda fitness competitor/model was doing cardio 2hrs a day(7days a week).

"During my contest prep last year, I was the epitome of a treadmill slave. I thought all the work would be worth it; I was sure it was helping prepare my best physique for the stage."

"My stomach growled 24/7. I had a hard time sleeping and woke several times throughout the night. I usually resorted to taking Advil PM to fall asleep. I had severe mood swings, was depressed, and had no energy. I felt like walking death. The smallest things brought me to tears or anger."

Thiago Alves gains roughly 30lbs in 3hrs...
    http://www.mmamania.com/2012/3/2/2839067/ufc-fx-2-weigh-in-results-thiago-alves-gains-30-pounds-three-hours-dolce-diet
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beat-metabolic-damage-get-ripped-with-hiit.html

And I said as my case as well, as well as many others. In my case, at 300lbs my metabolism is sluggish my metabolic rate was around 3000 calories. I was eating around 1,200 calories a day. I was logging highly accurately. With a calorie deficit of 1800 calories, I dropped 10lbs in a few days, but after that weight didn't budge at all. I keep at it for 5 weeks, starving, i said it's not worth it. had 2 refeed days in a row gained back those 10lbs...

What would you tell all of us? We're "logging inaccurately?" I had no medical issues. I lost 90lbs after that point with a less aggressive calorie deficit. Ahsley(first person i quoted) got her weight loss going again by increasing her caloric intake... This wasn't "inaccurate" logging. If she was off by lets say 20% a day. She would still by off by 20% a day if she increased her calories.

Let me clarify something, I don't believe in "metabolic damage" it's more complicated than that. It's a phenomenon called dieters edema. Lyle explains it well...

"First and foremost, I have myself written about how the odd combination of very low calories and excessive cardio can, in some people, cause problems. Some of it is metabolic which I’ll come back to. But most of it is simply due to one thing: water retention. It’s a little known fact that cortisol has cross-reactivity with the aldosterone receptor (aldosterone is the primary hormone for retaining water). But while cortisol only has about 1/100th the affinity for the receptor, there can be about 10,000 times as much. We know that cortisol causes water retention (Cushing’s patients who are often on high-dose cortisone have this problem).

Now, dieting raises cortisol.
    Cardio raises cortisol.
    Mental stress raises cortisol.

So combine your typical headcase female dieter (who is already mentally stressing themselves out), add a massive caloric restriction, add tons of cardio. And cortisol goes through the roof. And this is worse in some personality types. You can always tell them on Internet forums, they type in all caps with lots of !!! (Subject line: NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT NOW!!!). You can sense the stress in their life in how they write. And what these people do other than mentally stressing themselves out is further physically stress themselves out. And when weight loss stops, they stress harder, cut calories harder, do more cardio. And make it worse."
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/

so once again it's not always about "being more accurate"

ETA: So what I would suggest is possibly a section that addresses the issue of people who are doing low calorie diets with a lot of exercise. Solution, slowly increase their calories.
    Spoiler'd because long

^^^ Hey dude, do you think you could maybe not derail one single thread? Maybe try?

The subject is the flow chart is missing something, the situation of high calorie deficit and/or a ton of cardio. We're on topic. You making a post like you just did is off topic. but frankly, I don't care if the chart is not complete. I'll just let it be, do some research on the subject, as I have done. You will see what I see. Have a good night.

LOL. Well I defer to your knowledge of off topic posts.

Suggestion: Some people cut too much calories, enter a deficit, add on large amounts of exercise and this results in no weight loss for weeks or months due to a stress mediated responses*. Eating a little more or cutting back on exercise can resolve this. Or one can wait it out.

For the chart this could be:

"did you change your exercise by a lot?"
    - yes ----> relax, changes in exercise may lead to initial weight retention, especially if you are significantly cutting, either give yourself more recovery time, ramp up slowly or fuel your workouts.

*tissue edema and inflammatory response is normal for recovery, it flares up quite a bit in some people starting a new program. Also acute cortisol increases (exercise, stress, lack of sleep) leads to water retention. Get your sleep, drink water.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Also, I'd switch around diamond one and two. "stick to the plan" should always be AFTER you've verified that the plan actually include logging, weighing and a reasonable deficit. Don't stick to a bad plan.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Also, I'd switch around diamond one and two. "stick to the plan" should always be AFTER you've verified that the plan actually include logging, weighing and a reasonable deficit. Don't stick to a bad plan.

Detailed logging is not necessary for either a "good" plan or weight loss.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

So remove that diamond? Nah. Check logging first.

It's like going on a trip. Do you identify first where are we going and how are we getting there? Or do you wander about in the desert for a while?

In terms of wasted time, it makes sense to get your logging ducks all lined up early and not wait 3 weeks to come back and discover - "oh, hasn't been logging. "Basic process optimization.
  • bloody88
    bloody88 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

So remove that diamond? Nah. Check logging first.

It's like going on a trip. Do you identify first where are we going and how are we getting there? Or do you wander about in the desert for a while?

In terms of wasted time, it makes sense to get your logging ducks all lined up early and not wait 3 weeks to come back and discover - "oh, hasn't been logging. "Basic process optimization.
    I agree with this. The person will most likely not stick to the plan if he sees no results , and 80%(random number given by me) of the people that don't lose weight,in a higher weight, is because they don't log accurately.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    TL;DR version...

JpvbXn4.png

Fabulous for those with short attention spans. Also saving.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Love it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh....nevermind. I'm not taking the bait. ;)

cosign
  • Mr_Knight
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's like going on a trip. Do you identify first where are we going and how are we getting there?

Mostly not, usually.

Or do you wander about in the desert for a while?

Yes. For me vacations are about discovery, and that means minimal planning. Many do the same - many do differently.

If you prefer an alternate flow - I'm totally cool with you making your own version and putting diamonds wherever you like. :drinker:

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I just had a mini nerdgasm, I love flowcharts!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here is a more complete version. It also addresses the issue where people's TDEE is lower than estimated and they're doing everything right, in this case they wouldn't be losing weight either. Also addresses the issue of having realistic expectations for weight loss and a reasonable calorie deficit.

Due to the size it might be slightly blurry for some. If you have difficulty seeing it, here's the link, you can zoom in on it.The resolution is high, so it's nice and clear.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2MlEgY5q9lgSjJzeUJsNFBlazA/view?usp=sharing

This is good too, and it additionally addresses the potential problem of excess cortisol raised by yourself and @EvgeniZyntx . I was initially thinking this scenario would be covered by the 'see your doctor' section of the original chart, but on reflection I'm not sure if this is something that would even be routinely checked by a GP?
    I didn't see @EvgeniZyntx post originally. I went back to see it. It's a good post. I am glad someone who is respected chimed in on the subject. I am not sure if a doctor would look in to cortisol levels for lack of weight loss. They might look in to hormonal issues which can address cortisol in general, but I am not sure if a doctor would be aware of the effects of cortisol on weight loss.

Plus getting accurate cortisol results, in my experience, can be quite a complex matter. Personally I've had several different tests done over the years at the request of my endocrinologist, from the simple 9am blood draw to one where I was hospitalized as a day patient and given insulin injections to check the cortisol response over a period of hours. So yeah, I think this is something a GP could easily miss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Same feedback as for v1, excellent vision, phenomenal concept. Don't over complicate it. It's great!

Ok I do have some feedback hehe. So you mention invest in a food scale. I've been seeing and loving some posts that highlight the cost of one being around $10, $12, or $20. Many of the people being helped do not realize the cost and think it's this huge thing that'll cost them a lot. If you could somehow briefly highlight the price range, that could be a nice addition
  • lemonlionheart
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Same feedback as for v1, excellent vision, phenomenal concept. Don't over complicate it. It's great!

Ok I do have some feedback hehe. So you mention invest in a food scale. I've been seeing and loving some posts that highlight the cost of one being around $10, $12, or $20. Many of the people being helped do not realize the cost and think it's this huge thing that'll cost them a lot. If you could somehow briefly highlight the price range, that could be a nice addition

Haha, that was in my initial version, but changed it after getting some other feedback... can't even remember why at this point. Anyway, I feel that since this is to be used in a forum, any additional concerns can still be addressed by people. I tried to keep it as simple as possible but it's still too wordy!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Haha, that was in my initial version, but changed it after getting some other feedback... can't even remember why at this point. Anyway, I feel that since this is to be used in a forum, any additional concerns can still be addressed by people. I tried to keep it as simple as possible but it's still too wordy!

Try "as low as $10", or "< $20" for low word count
  • lemonlionheart
    Options

Try "as low as $10", or "< $20" for low word count

I think I'm happy with the version I have for the time being. I've already updated it 5 times haha, and I've been procrastinating getting my uni work done!