WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    followup to my earlier rant/insight/comment/observation/whatever -

I guess you could say i'm considered one of those skinny bi*&#@s at the gym (wearing size 4-6) and I want to say I have more admiration for the ladies who are just beginning their journey in this weight loss-getting healthy thing. every once in awhile I will notice a lady looking at me and when we make eye contact, I just tell her, keep at it, you're doing awesome, it will happen!! don't give up!! there was this lady using a bosu ball and she was doing a circuit class, (I was doing something else and could see everyone doing the class). this lady was in the class but she was clearly intimidated because a lot of people were faster and having an easier time of balancing on the ball and doing squats on it. I didn't see the instructor going over to her and encouraging her and helping her out, so I got off of what I was doing and went over to her and held her hands while she got on it and was counting with her. she said she was embarrassed, I told her not to feel that way, we were all there once, it isn't easy and we got through that. I told her to modify the exercise and just do squats on the floor if she had to. she really wanted to master the ball. I told her then after the class to put the ball by the wall and hold onto the wall for support and she will eventually be able to do it without holding. I said that was how I got to do it and now I can do single leg squats but it takes time.

don't give up, just keep going.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Jane Martin :) I hope you feel better soon <3 !

TN Toni :) I'm glad your "lady bits" are feeling okay! Hopefully time will pass quickly and you'll be back in the pool!

Becca by the beach :) Every time I write your name, auto correct changes it to "because" :grumble: :laugh:. I have to ask, being at a nudist resort laying out at the pool....you did have sunscreen on...right?

Pip/Poop :) Love your post!!!

Lisa :) Congrats on the book signing!!! Hope your run helped blow off the blahs!

Mary :) That bike has me intrigued....I'm really looking forward to hearing how you like it! I feel off of my granddaughters bike last summer, I bought bikes to keep at my house for them and thought I could ride the older ones bike...ha...it's too tall for me, it wasn't pretty when I went flying off it, at least I landed in grass and didn't really hurt myself too much!

Yanniejannie :) it is hot and humid here too, looks like we might get a thunderstorm just anytime...but I have to say I like this better than colder weather!

Welcome to everyone new, this is a great group of wonderful supportive women!

I've had an interesting week, somehow I totally missed Wednesday....so I had 2 Thursdays....that was very odd. Today feels like Saturday to me :# . I'm guessing being newly retired is the cause of this.... I am loving not being tied to a computer, or in meetings or having to rush here and there...its blissful, so far I highly recommend it :bigsmile:! I thought I would have more time to putter around the house though, I've been meeting friends everyday. Today I had lunch with my daughter, she and my oldest granddaughter are getting ready to go to NY city, they are going with the Girlscout troupe...those girls will have a blast! Time for me to get off this iPad and get myself ready, Friday night date night ;) !

Have a wonderful evening ladies!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in hot and humid NC B)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    All of a sudden I'm having quotes from others posts appear in my reply box constantly that I have to delete; no idea why. Does this happen to anyone else?

It happens to me all the time on my iPad. It is most annoying. And if you delete it, but don't actually reply, it is right back when you log back in.
  • avs810
    avs810 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, newbie here. I've decided to start the Ketogenic diet with moderate exercise. My goal is to lose 1-2 pounds a month, drink lots of water and green tea and stay on this diet
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Something that doesn't require huge planning and effort. Just part of your daily routine. That can be walking, or strength and floor exercises in front of the TV. I do my weights in the bedroom. You can do everything you need in the space of a yoga mat.
    Love Heather in Hampshire UK

And I thought I was the only one who did their strength training in the bedroom! It is convenient and right where I need it to be in order to get it done. My husband doesn't understand why I don't do my exercises in the basement where there is plenty of room....because I probably wouldn't go down there and get it done!

Cheri

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Heather and Pip - thanks for sharing about your perspective on exercise. I really like my water classes but dragging myself out of bed to get going plus all the "gear" sometimes makes me tempted to skip. Now that I am picking up my older friend and we go together I won't back out. It is hard to do the non water classes at times. Sometimes I have to give myself a talking to! Some of us are "loners" and some (like me) thrive on encouragement from others. Everyone has to find what works and quit using life circumstances or how we "feel" as excuses for inactivity. If we listen to our bodies and rest when we really need to but push through when we know it is the right thing to do, we'll strike a healthy balance.

Toni in steamy TN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options

smiley-happy110.gif Janet, I do eat back most of my exercise calories. I start with 1200 calories and the more I exercise, the more I eat.....when I hurt my back and could barely walk for a few days, it was a struggle to keep my calories low, but I felt OK because i wasn't very active. As soon as I started moving more, I ate more.

smiley-happy026.gifLisa, that is a great picture of you at your book signing....I know that the people who came, enjoyed meeting you....I have a wise friend who says, "Don't count them, tend to them"

469367makfzcur9b.gif Pip, the exercise I do is part of my day just like bathing and brushing my teeth....at the line dance class I teach, I tell the new people that 10 years ago I came to that class as a beginner just hoping that I wouldn't fall down or knock someone else down and Just by coming back every week and practicing a bit at home between classes, I made progress and they can, too.

smiley-happy026.gif Cheri, I do my weight training in the living room so I can watch TV.....I also have my exercise bike facing the TV...my husband has his treadmill in the living room, too.

smiley-cool05.gif DeeDee, it took me awhile after I retired to create a routine so I'd know what day it was.

smiley-bounce013.gif Today was an extra fun day. On my dog walk I listened to a podcast featuring the authors of "Gratitude and Trust", one of my favorite books. After teaching my line dance class I went to a line dance party put on by one of the students. We danced all the time at the party except for the time people were eating. It was a potluck but I didn't eat. I brought my own small lunch that I ate in the car on the way over. There is rarely anything served at a potluck that fits into the way I eat now. When people asked why I wasn't eating, I told them that I was a very fussy eater and ate my snack on the way over. Nobody cared or thought I was weird.

<3 Barbie from sunny beautiful NW Washington
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone... hot and sunny today. Storm clouds coming again. And another planned power outage for tomorrow morning 5 a.m. to 7:30 a.m. So will get my Pyrex coffee pot out again!!

To comment on the exercise... I know I feel really good afterwards, and that to me is the point. I don't exactly love it, but the feel good afterwards lifts my spirits!!

I have walked today already because the forecast is for Thunderstorms - and I am behind on my 10,000 steps per day goal of 20 days for the month of June. And I have logged everything already - because supper is ready just waiting for DH to get home.

I got back on my trampoline today - haven't used it for awhile. Managed 7 minutes. Amazing how we use different muscles from walking. Will do it again tomorrow.

Later everyone
    Lillian form West Central Saskatchewan

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    First took our aluminum to the Humane Society, then went to BiLo, then took the deep water class. The instructor that I really like had her last day Wednesday. Boo. I'm not at all crazy about this girl, she goes much much too slow. I want more cardio. And she doesn't use the weights. She just wants to use the noodles.

After the class, came home and then went to play mahjongg. On the way home stopped at Lowes Foods and then to WalMart. Came home and went in the pool, but wasn't in very long. See, remember I told you that they upped Vince's Propathenol? Well, this is the first day he took the upped dosage and he wanted me to be in the house in case something happened to him (which I don't think will) Update: of course nothing happened

Tomorrow's plan is to do Jari Love's Bootcamp DVD and then go to the farmer's market. Haven't been there yet this season so I can't wait.

metallaxi
    - welcome! Can't wait to hear all about Greece. I've always wanted to go there

JoyceW - of course you can join! We'd love to have ya

Sylvia
    - you are such a wonderful grandmother

barbie
    - what's the name of the series of books that you're reading about NC?

Hard boiled some eggs and just opened the pressure cooker. Looks like 2 of them cracked. So guess what's going into my salad tonight. Well, Lexi will be happy. She's the only one of our cats who likes egg yolk

Donna
    - someone (I don't remember who) once compared this place to a kitchen table where everyone gathers around and just brings up everything and anything.

Alison - if you're ever down this way or on your way to FL, I'm selling it for $600. Here's what it all includes: For Sale in excellent condition 1 Pyranha Kayak with everything that is
    needed for one flat price.

Play boat - One Pyranha (see picture) fully outfitted for a medium person
    Spray Skirt by Mountain Surf - Medium
    Kayak paddle- Werner double bladed Graphite
    PFD - Life Jacket
    Paddling shoes
    Throw bag
    Floatation bags for Kayak and others for misc.
    Helmet
    Wet bags (large)
    Dry Bag
    Splash Jacket (medium)
    Equipment bag
    Paddling shirt short sleeve by HydroSwim
    Water proof box (for camera?)
    Misc. paddling shirts & pants

Well, they started fixing the hole in the ceiling downstairs. They need to come back next week to put another coat of whatever on and fix the screen on our indoor porch

DeeDee
    - I didn't realize you were so young when your hubby died. So sorry

Cheri - the scale only shows a number. The really important things are that you feel well and that your clothes fit much better.

Deb from Michigan
    - welcome!

Lisa - you have a wonderful way of looking at your book signing. What a lovely pic of you!

Mary from MN
    - I totally agree with you, that's one reason I change things up so much. I try to do some sort of strength training 3 days/week and some cardio 3 days/week. All the living area is on one floor in our house (living room kitchen, 4 of the bedrooms, 3 of the baths, the laundry room, dining room). There's one bedroom and bath downstairs in addition to a "game" room and my exercise room. So when I broke the bone in my foot, I really didn't have any reason why I HAD to go downstairs.

Janet in SC
    - sometimes I think I need to get out of the Salvation Army....lol But Hamricks does have a fairly decent sized petite department

terri
    - I just found out that WalGreens is going to have eggs on sale next week for $1.29. I'm planning to take their ad in the WalMart who will price match it. You're doing just fabulous on your exercise, you do what you can and are consistent. That's so important. So sorry to hear about Yukon

LisaH
    - you are NOT annoying. I for one love reading all about your book

Aly - welcome. Great goals

Carey
    - unfortunately, our Sears has practically eliminated their petite department

Heather - congrats on the pound lost.

HulaMama - you've definitely come to the right place!

mia
    - what wonderful NSV's you had. Makes everything worthwhile. My condolences

becmaness - there can never be too many here! Congrats on keeping the weight off, that's about the hardest thing to do

poop - I'm pretty muchly the same way, I exercise more out of habit. I just don't feel like my day is complete unless I get in some exercise. Sometimes I'm always looking at the clock to see how much more time I have to go. Other times, I can't believe how fast the time flies by! What a wonderful thing you did for that lady at the gym! Your heart is truly bigger than Texas (or is it Alaska?)

DeeDee - we were hot, but nowhere near humid

avs - come back often!

I read this in *Eat This Not That* magazine. It said, among other things, "roasted nuts are not good for you, even if they're unsalted. They're usually cooked in partially hydrogenated oil (trans fat), which can raise bad cholesterol. Opt for raw nuts instead." and "artificial sweeteners found in sugarless gums, has been known to cause belly bloat"

Michele in NC
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Does anyone try the Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's ? she has a new one out that has rave reviews - Tone every zone. I picked it up in Wal-Mart the other day. thought it would be good to use when it is way too hot outside. Our basement is really nice and cool.

Lillian
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    Does anyone try the Leslie Sansone Walking DVD's ? she has a new one out that has rave reviews - Tone every zone. I picked it up in Wal-Mart the other day. thought it would be good to use when it is way too hot outside. Our basement is really nice and cool.

Lillian

I don't have the new one but it looks good. I have several of her older ones and they are a good alternative to walking...especially in the hot weather. I'm going to pick up the new one. Our walk-out basement is super cool also!

Cheri

• dlevans_59
    dlevans_59 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Selena,

My thoughts and prayers for you and your whole family. So hard

Donna
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,941 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy026.gifMichele, the series of books I'm reading now that are set in North Carolina are the pizza lovers series by Chris Cavender...a few years ago I read the innkeeping series by Tim Myers (same author, writing under a different name.....I also have the first in the Donut Shop mysteries by Jessica Beck
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Terri - so sorry about Yukon! The fur babies are so cute.

Heather- floppy disc, I found some of them when I was packing! I didn't think that I still had anything that could play them.

TNToni - I am glad you are feeling better.

Mia - great NSV's. Sorry for your loss.

Pip - great insight into working out wether you want to or not!

Dee Dee - I will let you know how I do on that bike. I'm glad that you are enjoying your retirement! It took me time to get used to it.

Michele - that's too bad about your instructor not being as good! Have you ever thought of teaching the class? You would be good at it!

We're still packing! I don't know where all this stuff came from! I think our stuff was fooling around and gave birth!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I too enjoy going to water aerobics early in the morning, it gives me energy and seems to get me going to go do what ever is on the agenda for the day. I don't swim and don't like being in water. I had not been in a swim suit or pool for 20 years until last Sept. I'm actually getting both feet off the bottom of the pool now. Whoo Hoo!! The doc kept recommending it due to the low impact on the knees, etc. I do have a treadmill and I enjoy the convenience of walking on it at home and blasting my "oldies" but I have bad knees and it gets rather hard on them. Had the right knee replaced in January and will have the left one done in Sept.

I weigh again in the morning, I'm anxious to see the result. I have done well this week, virtually cutting out carbs and sweets. I'll let you know how the weigh-in goes.

Thanks to all of you. I love reading the posts and am encouraged to know there are a lot of us out there in the same boat. :)

Janet, Oklahoma City
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    terri_mom wrote: »
    Pat - after my most recent fender-bender, my Physical Therapist told me to start by leaning forward onto the wall and hold for as long as possible. Then, slowly work my way down the wall until I can keep my back straight while my hands are on a counter top. Then eventually work my way down to keeping my body straight while my hands are on a table, then chair, then steps, until eventually planking on the floor. Anything that strengthens your core is better than nothing at all. Maybe you could start by sitting on a chair and lifting one leg off the seat while keeping your knee bent, and hold it a few seconds. Does this video work for you? http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=beginner+abdominal+exercises+for+elderly&qpvt=beginner+abdominal+exercises+for+elderly&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=09F230E68FCB9743264309F230E68FCB97432643

Keep it simple and keep taking baby steps. Between a herniated disc at L5-S1, OsteoArthritis in both knees, and Rheumatoid Arthritis, there aren't too many exercises I can do, but stretching in my chair, or short walks can eventually show amazing results. I'm sure you will find what works for you before too long. I will never be as fit as pip or Michele or Barbie or anyone else, but I can keep striving to be better than my yesterday self. And so can you!!!!!

Terri....thank you.Saved the site & will try some of the exercises.

Selena,how sad for your daughter & family.

Margaret,here is my fav Clematis.....along the back deck.
    vu5g4vkym4ru.jpg

Time for bed,see you all tomorrow. Pat
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ide hm 2 gym- 12.28min, 14.2amph, 2.9mi = 92c
    jog- 28min- 6.3sp with 6.5sp bursts 9.35est ap, 3.5 incline whole time = 223c
    floor exercise- 15min, 16knees bent, 16knees up, 16legs straight up = 240 total = 24c
    ride gym 2 wk - 53.22mim, 12.8amph, 11.3mi = 473c
    ride dome 2 hm- 16.15min, 9.9 amph, 2.6mi = 168c
    total cal 980

GEEZ, MISSED IT BY 20 CALORIES
  • pipcd34
    Options
    tngran - i feel ya on packing all your stuff when you go swimming. i have to carry a backpack anywhere from 10 - 13 lbs on my back every day. i got my stuff on when i'm riding out the door, stuff that i got to change into when i'm done working out, got to lug around the stuff that i sweated in, then what i might be wearing to work, (but i got smart on that note), then stuff to ride back., one day i weighed my backpack when i got home *IT WEIGHED 20 LBS!! i'm carrying a fricken kitchen sink!! it is a drag sometimes. i wish i could just ride the bike and not carry anything but thats not going to happen. i am going on a weekend trip everyday
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Pat, beautiful flowers! I guess they do like the hot weather.

Terri, laughing at you buying a whole cow. I can picture you trying to cram it in your freezer. I can do the planks but have gotten in the habit of lying next to my Cardio-Glider in case I need a hand in getting up. I actually found that for me, the trick is, “don’t lie down after the plank”. Gosh that really makes it hard to get up.

Aly, welcome to our group of supportive ladies. I haven’t a clue where Blighty is, so share a tidbit more information.  Like at least a country? LOL Your June goals sound good except for the drinking…it would be good to drink lots of water every day. I do know what you mean, because I have to make myself not have my evening Vodka and tonic. Come often and post when you feel like it.

Jules, Congrats on that weight loss.

Mary, I do have a wonderful DH. He’s a keeper for sure now that I have him trained. And yes, he was trainable, whereas so many aren’t. hee hee We had a wonderful outing and a fantastic meal. I had looked up the menu and calories online before we went. It turned out to be free, even. Our waitress brought our food rather quickly and we never saw her again. I was looking for her to get more tea and another server got it for us. My steak was a bit overcooked and even though I wasn’t going to send it back, I would have told her about it if she had come back to ask how it was cooked. We finished our meal and still had not seen her in a while, so we went up front to see if we could get our check. There was some confusion as to who our server even was but once they figured it out, she came out to us. We told her we wanted our check and then the manager came out. The hostess had told her about what happened. She asked about our experience and we told her, not really complaining but informing. About that time the waitress returned with our bill and the manager told us not to worry about it as she took care of it. I certainly didn’t expect that, but was a nice surprise. Thank goodness our food was good, but the thing that somewhat upset us was that the manager kept making excuses. Why can’t they just say I’m sorry and will attempt to correct the problem. The excuses just make me think less of the situation, because they were lame excuses. Oh well.

Heather, congrats on that lost pound. Wow, 3 formal evenings. How long is the cruise? It just sounds wonderful. I was going to suggest that surely there are companies that could transfer the info you your floppy to a CD. Sounds like you have it worked out.

Hula, you have definitely come to the right place for support. Welcome. We sound like old friends, but I have never heard of any of these women???? JK. You will feel like we are all long lost friends very soon if you visit every day. Please tell us a bit about yourself so we can get to know you. Also, please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a general location. Good luck with that sugar.

Terri, so sad about your sister’s fur baby. What a beautiful lab.

Becca, congrats on that weight loss!! Sure you are impatient, but it’s happening. Just keep it up. Yep, I guess I am a nudist under my clothes but I don’t tell just anyone that, ya know.

Mia, nice of you to check in when you have so much going on. Good that you can eat right and not be questioned by others. Hang in there.

Becmaness, Welcome to this group where you will find lots of support. Good for you to take control before you let things get out of hand. Most of us have found that the problem with diets is we tend to think we have reached a destination when we get to our goal. Now we know it’s a journey with no destination, even when we get to our goal weight. It’s all about health and fitness and sounds like you know that. I used to drink lots of diet soda and have basically stopped drinking it. I was surprised how easy it was, and now may have one about once a month. Please tell us more about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called. A general location is also good to help keep you straight from all the other ladies. We are glad to have you.

Poop, you are a work out junkie, what can I say? Not sure I’ll ever get there, but I admire you and your work ethic. And what a woman to help and encourage others. No wonder I love you!

DeeDee, about missing Wednesday, I hate to tell you but before long you will often not know what day it is. But isn’t that great???? And you will also find you never have enough time to get everything done, and wonder how in the world you did it when you were working. Just enjoy because this is what life is all about.

Heather, it’s interesting hearing about your rain. I don’t know if you are aware that the US has been having real floods in much of the country. We never see what is going on anywhere else. You just stay safe.

Barbie, glad you had an extra fun day. In talking about you not eating at the party, I agree that most of the time when I don’t eat at an outing, no one really cares because they are too busy stuffing their faces. I know, cause I used to be one of them. “Oh, she’s not eating, good, more for me.”

Michele, because we don’t have a Walgreens real close, that is not somewhere I go often and I didn’t even realize they sold eggs. Will have to start paying attention to their ads.

Mary, you have me LOL watching you pack as your “stuff” multiplies. I think you are having too much fun! When is the big day??

Pat, your Clematis are beautiful. Does anyone else dislike the name of that flower? I wish it were something else, maybe like penisofores or anything. Lol

Poop. You are just burring too many calories. Leave some for other people or even better, burn some for me?

Had a good day but too tired to say more. I'm off to bed so nite, nite.

I hope you all sleep well. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    edited June 2015
    Options
    awwww thanks dammit!!!! o

just noticed that i rode 83.8miles this week. i've known what i do every day cuz it's noted. the app that i use to track my rides shows how much you are doing for the week and i've never pd attention to it but i noticed it today.. pretty cool! sharing is caring.

tomorrow kirby becomes a blonde and he gets a much needed hair cut!!! i'm so excited!!

nite peepers