Is Diet Coke actually Satan?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Swiftlet66 wrote: »
    Parents: I am just wondering but would you allow your little boy or girl to drink diet soda every day?

Parents who would allow: I'd like to suggest you do a long term study on the effects (if any) for drinking diet soda in children. For the sake of proving your point of course, that diet soda is harmless.

I would NOT let my kids eat/drink anything every day (except water) - variety is important.
    I do let them drink some every once in a while.

But these straw men posts can easily be disputed. Why don't you feed your kid " healthy" broccoli or spinach with every meal (please don't)? You'll discover that even these are toxic in excess.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2015
    Parents: I am just wondering but would you allow your little boy or girl to drink diet soda every day?

Parents who would allow: I'd like to suggest you do a long term study on the effects (if any) for drinking diet soda in children. For the sake of proving your point of course, that diet soda is harmless.

My 7 year old son is drinking a can of diet grape soda right now. Surprisingly, he hasn't turned purple or keeled over yet :p

Also, I have pictures that my mom took of me as a toddler, holding a bottle with soda in it. Somehow I've survived to be 36 years old and I'm in pretty awesome health. Go figure.
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    All sweetners are starting to show up as increasing insulin resistance. Will they make you fat no, will they start processing you as a pre diabetic - maybe
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    KateKyi wrote: »
    All sweetners are starting to show up as increasing insulin resistance. Will they make you fat no, will they start processing you as a pre diabetic - maybe

Peer reviewed literature from a high impact journal for this?
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Yep, it's Satan. And the fellow demons are named "Sugar" and "Excess Carbs". I love your playful post! I've never had a diet Coke in my life, and only twice (in emergencies because there was not even water available) have I even had regular Coke. I just can't figure out how any human can drink soda (pop) of any kind and not want to rush to brush their teeth - that stuff is NASTY!

However, me and the two fellow demons have been struggling for years...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    soo where did we land on that whole satan thing

Hell?

well played sir
  • KateKyi
    senecarr wrote: »

. No, its early days in the research but some Drs are getting concerned. One artifical sweetner that was deemed safe is now banned.(Cyclamates). The rest are still being looked into.
    Read http://advances.nutrition.org/content/4/6/677.full
  • senecarr

. No, its early days in the research but some Drs are getting concerned. One artifical sweetner that was deemed safe is now banned.(Cyclamates). The rest are still being looked into.
    I don't care for any reasoning that is based on "artificial sweeteners" as a category. Any chemical needs its own individual assessment.
    On top of that, saying some doctors are concerned is a teach the controversy gambit.
    I can find biology PhD's that argue against evolution.
  • KateKyi

I don't care for any reasoning that is based on "artificial sweeteners" as a category. Any chemical needs its own individual assessment.
    On top of that, saying some doctors are concerned is a teach the controversy gambit.

And yet you couldnt do a google search on Artificial sweeteners and insulin resistance...
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member

no because shes already overactive, she doesnt need caffeine

no because of the acid it affects her reflux which due to her subglottic stenosis causes cysts in her gullet, the same reason why she can only drink watered down fruit juice occasionally

no because im trying to teach her moderation so she only gets items that people would consider treats ocassionally so she understands these items shouldnt be making up the bulk of her diet
  • Sarasmaintaining
    edited June 2015

Huh, I went the opposite direction-started drinking diet soda when I started being intentional about losing weight, because I had just found out my glucose numbers were in the pre-diabetic range (prior to that I drank regular coke). Fast forward to today and my glucose number is solidly in the normal range and my doctor no longer labels me a pre-diabetic. I drink diet soda every single day and have done so since October, 2012, which is when I started my weight loss phase.

I now have excellent blood work results, excellent blood pressure, have no health issues, and I'm not on any medication etc etc etc. My life is actually pretty darn awesome, all while drinking diet soda ;)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member

Considering the diagnosis of pre diabetic is even disputed what your claiming is that a substance may or may not give you a diagnosis that a lot of doctors dispute is even a diagnosis.

So No I think is the answer to that
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    MjAxMi04MTJjNmE2ZDIwMWFlYjRh.png

This :lol: Seriously... I think I was born with a bottle of Diet Coke in my hands. I cut it out for 6+ months... a few years ago. It honestly didn't make a difference in my weight loss, so I started drinking it again. Now I'm back on track and still drinking diet coke. It does not make me crave sweets, I don't even crave sweets unless they are in the house, then I don't crave them, I just mindlessly eat them until they are gone. Solution: Don't have them around. Also doesn't make me want to eat more. I hate coffee, and I need caffeine, so Diet Coke is my go to.
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Re: the question about if people would give diet soda's to kids..

I don't have kids, but I was once a kid, and I have been drinking diet coke as long as I can remember. My parents wanted me to drink diet soda, as opposed to regular because my mom was diabetic and would only drink regular soda. They just didn't want me to get in that habit. And the few times in my life that I have gone a month or more without drinking it has proved to do nothing for me other than make me go through withdrawals and get terrible headaches. I feel much better when I drink it actually.

So my answer is, if I had kids I see no reason to not let them have diet soda. I might possibly limit the amount, only because I know that water is probably the better choice, and personally, I hate water.. so I would try to teach my kids to actually like water and not just tolerate it, like I have to. :lol:
  • senecarr

And yet you couldnt do a google search on Artificial sweeteners and insulin resistance...
    I can google aliens are real and get pages.
    1. It isn't evidence of anything
    2. You've made the claim, burden is yours.
    3. If I looked up A study and showed flaws in their methodology or results, you'd just claim that wasn't the one. So you need to provide a study that you think is solid.

• cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    i love my satan juice.
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member

My 3 year old drinks water, milk, and diet soda daily. She gets her choice of the three. Perfectly healthy, aside from her sensory processing disorder and anxiety disorder which has nothing to do with whether or not she drinks diet soda.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    It's only not evil if you mix it with a quality spiced rum.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    nickatine wrote: »
    It's only not evil if you mix it with a quality spiced rum.

Ha, that's what my husband is drinking right now lol. He's using white rum though :)