Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've brought this up in another thread before, but discussion didn't go far -- was wondering about switching to maintenance/recomp, even though I have ~7lbs to goal, but using the TDEE of my goal weight for maintenance cals.

The idea being that it'd still be a deficit between current weight's TDEE and Goal's, so I'd still lose, albeit slowly, and then eventually even out...

Of course, I know that TDEE calculations can be off in either direction based on many factors, but in my situation, a little experimentation into this theory might be worthwhile...

Thoughts?

I don't see why you couldn't do that. Realistically, the difference in your TDEE at 7 pounds less than right now is going to be pretty small. You could go ahead and calculate it yourself to see that. TDEE calculations are best estimates and TDEE isn't a constant anyway.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've brought this up in another thread before, but discussion didn't go far -- was wondering about switching to maintenance/recomp, even though I have ~7lbs to goal, but using the TDEE of my goal weight for maintenance cals.

The idea being that it'd still be a deficit between current weight's TDEE and Goal's, so I'd still lose, albeit slowly, and then eventually even out...

Of course, I know that TDEE calculations can be off in either direction based on many factors, but in my situation, a little experimentation into this theory might be worthwhile...

Thoughts?

My thoughst are that the theory is sound but....
    Calculators are too inaccurate.
    7lb would be a minute difference in TDEE.

An easier way perhaps is just custom set your target calories from where they are now so that you slow your weight loss to a crawl. A soft landing to goal weight rather than get to goal weight and start searching for maintenance calories.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Much obliged for the responses... I think that sounds like a good logical approach, @sijomial ... I'm gonna run the numbers...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I believe the general estimate is each pound of fat contributes around 4 calories to BMR, so yeah, 7 pounds is probably a 28 calorie difference. That's going to get swallowed in the variability of TDEE.
  • HollandOats
    HollandOats Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I believe the general estimate is each pound of fat contributes around 4 calories to BMR, so yeah, 7 pounds is probably a 28 calorie difference. That's going to get swallowed in the variability of TDEE.

Oooh, sciency... grassy *kitten*!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

This morning I noticed a strange indent in my skin - below my belly button. Looking closer it seems like the skin is a little loser there but I can feel muscle under the skin. I am assuming that I lost a little bit of fat there. If only it would come off my thighs and butt as quickly as it comes off my stomach...

I wish it would come off my stomach more quickly. We each have our own places that seem to hold fat. Blah.
  • samdoggolf
    samdoggolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almost there.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    I did a bulk months ago and hated the way my stomack looked after. I decided to stop the bulk after gaining 15 to 20 pounts. Im 6'3 and i weighed 215. Ive been recomping for a couple weeks now. I am staying anywhere between 210 and 215. Ive noticed my stomach coming back. Im just really scared im going to lose muscle. Ive been eating 320 g protein a day and carb cycling. Will try to maintain this for a month and see where i am at.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I did a bulk months ago and hated the way my stomack looked after. I decided to stop the bulk after gaining 15 to 20 pounts. Im 6'3 and i weighed 215. Ive been recomping for a couple weeks now. I am staying anywhere between 210 and 215. Ive noticed my stomach coming back. Im just really scared im going to lose muscle. Ive been eating 320 g protein a day and carb cycling. Will try to maintain this for a month and see where i am at.

That's significantly more protein than you need. Even 215g would be more than enough. If you lift and maintain weight you aren't going to lose muscle even if you dropped your protein lower than .8g/lb LBM.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    To keep my carbs and fat low, i have to consume calories of something. So protein is what fills in the calorie spaces for me.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So then the question is why are you keeping your carbs and fats low?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yep. However, I think that is the impact on BMR. There will be a bigger impact on TDEE as you are basically moving more weigh around (assuming you are staying at a consistent BF) - still not a huge impact though.

I think that the benefits are mainly gained through the act of lifting - the caloric burn during, and after, which includes the energy expended buy you to actually build muscle (repairing the damage), similar to when your body is trying to recover from an illness or injury (hypermetabolism).

That being said, the impact of muscle in its resting state is usually overstated - as you mention, its not that much at all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Yep. However, I think that is the impact on BMR. There will be a bigger impact on TDEE as you are basically moving more weigh around (assuming you are staying at a consistent BF) - still not a huge impact though.

I think that the benefits are mainly gained through the act of lifting - the caloric burn during, and after, which includes the energy expended buy you to actually build muscle (repairing the damage), similar to when your body is trying to recover from an illness or injury (hypermetabolism).

You mean you don't strap weights to yourself for every pound you lose to keep TDEE the same? You're weird.
  • LiftingRiot
    Options
    So that my body utilizes the fat stored on me thereby loosing fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    So then the question is why are you keeping your carbs and fats low?
    Bingo!

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

You mean you don't strap weights to yourself for every pound you lose to keep TDEE the same? You're weird.

:p

And ugghh...typo in my post - I hate seeing them after someone has quoted me lol.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So that my body utilizes the fat stored on me thereby loosing fat while maintaining as much muscle as possible.
    Wouldn't a slight calorie deficit do the same?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

It does not work that way. Dietary fat and carbs do not turn into body fat (well, dietary fat technically does but its not a 1:1 ratio or a direct relationship). In simplistic terms: You use carbs for energy (they can get stored as fats but this is not common). You use protein for energy and for muscle growth. Dietary fats get used for fat storage and energy. Your body balances out the use of these macros and will partition them to basically end up at the same place, irrespective of the composition (that is assuming you do not have a totally extreme diet and also get sufficient protein).

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Wouldn't a slight calorie deficit do the same?

Yep - if you are losing fat but maintaining muscle, you have to be in a deficit.