Is 'whilst' the most overused word in these forums?

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    edited June 2015
    Well I just came here looking for some detox/cleanse advice that will help me whilst I am on my weight loose journey. I weighted myself this morning, not good.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Well I just came here looking for some detox/cleanse advice that will help me whilst I am on my weight loose journey. I weighted myself this morning, not good.

:laugh: :flowerforyou:

The hairs on the back of my neck stood up reading that haha

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    For most overused words here on MFP?
    journey
    loose (instead of lose)
    cleanse

UGH. I hate when people say "weight loss journey" or even worse just "journey." I have never noticed anyone saying whilst.

I wonder what happens when they finish their "journey" :huh:

Cake, I imagine, whilst drinking a fine dessert wine.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Christine are you still walking round your house? Don't you get dizzy whilst counting steps?

Haha yes I am. Each lap is 1000 steps. I do 10 laps at a time.
    No dizzyness, i read the mfp forums whilst I'm marching.
    sorry, i can't help inserting that word into everything now! :open_mouth:

This
  • JordisTSM
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Christine are you still walking round your house? Don't you get dizzy whilst counting steps?

This

Seriously?
  • Christine_72

This

Am i annoying you? :cry:

• beansandchips
    beansandchips Posts: 36 Member
    journey
    loose (instead of lose)
    cleanse

UGH. I hate when people say "weight loss journey" or even worse just "journey." I have never noticed anyone saying whilst.

u

Perhaps do another ! Hate that word too!

• Christine_72
    journey
    loose (instead of lose)
    cleanse

u

Perhaps do another ! Hate that word too!

yes, some folks have a never ending journey...

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    When you start out with 100lbs to lose, trust me "journey" is a very apt metaphor. In fact, when people use it I can see that they accept it may take time, there's pitfalls, there's rest stops, there's persistent effort required and there can be a change of direction. Why do we have to take what can be powerful imagery away from people by ridiculing it?

It dropped out of my vocabulary at some stage yes but I didn't replace it with cake cos I was always eating that anyway.
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member

This

Seriously?

Yes! Jordis. Seriously. Totally serious...on a Sunday afternoon....or Monday morn for you 'whilst' people:)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Whilst is used here in Australia aswell. But more by the hoity toity folks.

Loose instead of lose

Weight instead of weigh

Weighted instead of weighed

all grind me

Oh yes OP, Ive been seeing that word more and more lately and these other words too :expressionless:

• ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    When you start out with 100lbs to lose, trust me "journey" is a very apt metaphor. In fact, when people use it I can see that they accept it may take time, there's pitfalls, there's rest stops, there's persistent effort required and there can be a change of direction. Why do we have to take what can be powerful imagery away from people by ridiculing it?

It dropped out of my vocabulary at some stage yes but I didn't replace it with cake cos I was always eating that anyway.

I don't really think it's a very good piece of imagery. I started out with 145 lbs to lose and got very swept up in the whole thing. I became WAY too obsessed with weight loss as my identity. It was taking over my entire world by thinking about it as a "journey" and all of that.

I think it's actually more useful to make it bland and normal and just a regular part of my life/routine and not think about it at all.
  • JordisTSM

This

Seriously?

Yes! Jordis. Seriously. Totally serious...on a Sunday afternoon....or Monday morn for you 'whilst' people:)

*Monday afternoon in good old New Zealand, if we're splitting hairs. Not a "whilst person", just enjoy taking the piss.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member

I don't really think it's a very good piece of imagery. I started out with 145 lbs to lose and got very swept up in the whole thing. I became WAY too obsessed with weight loss as my identity. It was taking over my entire world by thinking about it as a "journey" and all of that.

I think it's actually more useful to make it bland and normal and just a regular part of my life/routine and not think about it at all.

I agree. I started with around 100 to lose, and I have to say one of the biggest parts of my success in staying on track for over a year and losing almost 60 of that is that is is NOT a journey, it isn't something special, it's just a part of life, like work, or grocery shopping, or doing the washing or housework. I think by making it extraordinary, you make it optional, or something far harder than it needs to be. Losing weight does not define me, or my life.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited June 2015
    It's a Briticism. That's all.

Yes. It is used more in certain varieties of English than others.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Plateau or platue or plateue or plateu
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    I don't think I've seen that word used here before your post.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member

I agree. I started with around 100 to lose, and I have to say one of the biggest parts of my success in staying on track for over a year and losing almost 60 of that is that is is NOT a journey, it isn't something special, it's just a part of life, like work, or grocery shopping, or doing the washing or housework. I think by making it extraordinary, you make it optional, or something far harder than it needs to be. Losing weight does not define me, or my life.

I think it's individual for people as to whether or not it makes it harder though. You can get swept up and obsessive in the process no matter the terminology you use to motivate it. The changes I made were extraordinary in comparison to what I was and did before...I'm not talking physically either. Now it is just part of the doing and I see that as good and necessary evolution. My goal was to get to my normalcy.

Just to clarify....to me it became more of a "job" - a commitment initially for a year at least (I knew it would take longer). It had to be enjoyable. Best long term job I l've ever had. I had a lot of "unpacking" and "re-packing" to do :) (still evolving) that I knew would reverberate beyond me. Sometimes, words to describe the process were synonymous with those often used in conjunction with that of a journey though.

Is this just the difference between preferences perhaps? Like I hate scrapbooking but loads of people love it. Hey whatever floats your boat though. Some people prefer funny cards, some sentimental.
    journey
    loose (instead of lose)
    cleanse

A journey is never ending. That's why it's a journey and not just a trip. :smile:

And yet, to me all of life is a journey. So for this to be my life now and be a journey at the same time totally makes sense to me.

Then again, I grew up with a hippy mother, so there's that....

No hippy mother here...dabbled a litre myself.

Now I'm singing "life is a highway"...

• gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    *Whilst* makes me smile. I enjoy other English speakers' different words and I hope they do too! (However, I don't enjoy them throwing around stones and kilos. It causes me to have to do mental math which slows my reading down.) I agree that whiIst is used a lot here. Last night I was watching a BBC documentary where it was used quite a bit too and I felt like MFP posters were narrating!

I cannot believe the number of people that can' t use lose/loose and weigh/weight correctly. I think there should be a mandatory lesson with a test that needs to be passed before being allowed to post. ;) C'mon folks... Loose rhymes with goose and you are a very silly one if you want to loose weight!

*This* being shorthand for agreement when quoting bothers me but I guess it's handy... There's a word used around here that really makes me gack though > the word *pooch*. I get an image of a sad, saggy doggy hanging off peoples' tummies. Paunch? Pouch? I could easily take one of those instead.

ah well, all of that aside... i do love this community! <3
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    "Whilst" annoys me when I am pretty sure that the person using it is as American as I am.