Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Is 'whilst' the most overused word in these forums?

123578

Replies

  • minties82minties82 Member Posts: 907 Member Member Posts: 907 Member
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

    Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.
  • Christine_72Christine_72 Member Posts: 16,056 Member Member Posts: 16,056 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

    Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.

    yeah the lbs and miles thing can be mentally draining lol

    I'm an Aussie and have never used kilojoules, it's always been calories.

  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Member Posts: 17,638 Member Member Posts: 17,638 Member
    minties82 wrote: »
    "lbs" or pounds drives me bonkers! The amount of brain activity that goes on here whilst I do mental acrobatics to convert it to kilograms...I should log it as an exercise and get credit for it.

    Also, calories. Calories bloody calories. I think I am the only person here who uses kilojoules.

    yeah the lbs and miles thing can be mentally draining lol

    I'm an Aussie and have never used kilojoules, it's always been calories.

    Yup, I'm a calorie girl too, though I'm pretty good with lbs, inches and miles if I have to be. But metric makes way more sense.
  • msf74msf74 Member Posts: 3,498 Member Member Posts: 3,498 Member
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Yes?

    With the greatest of respect I think there are more pressing issues to worry about on this forum rather than the common usage of the word "whilst".

    I hear what you say though.

    G276oGT.png
    edited June 2015
  • Sued0nimSued0nim Member Posts: 17,456 Member Member Posts: 17,456 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Yes?

    With the greatest of respect I think there are more pressing issues to worry about on this forum rather than the common usage of the word "whilst".

    I hear what you say though.

    G276oGT.png

    LOL .. so true
  • yarwellyarwell Member Posts: 10,479 Member Member Posts: 10,479 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

    I'm British

    And a pedant

    And mean

    .. it is the perfect combination for foruming

    Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

  • yarwellyarwell Member Posts: 10,479 Member Member Posts: 10,479 Member
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/while-and-whilst "While and whilst mean the same when we use them as conjunctions. They both mean ‘during the time that something else happens’, or ‘in contrast with something else’. While is much more common than whilst, and whilst sounds more formal"
  • Sued0nimSued0nim Member Posts: 17,456 Member Member Posts: 17,456 Member
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

    I'm British

    And a pedant

    And mean

    .. it is the perfect combination for foruming

    Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

    Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too
  • Alatariel75Alatariel75 Member Posts: 17,638 Member Member Posts: 17,638 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

    I'm British

    And a pedant

    And mean

    .. it is the perfect combination for foruming

    Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

    Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too

    e6657229f8aa6494737b4d3a037c6e.jpg
  • 999tigger999tigger Member Posts: 5,236 Member Member Posts: 5,236 Member
    So let me clarify... The correct use of the English language annoys people that aren't actually English?

    Mind... Blown.

    Exactly, the thread and the OP are just rather bizarre.
  • Sued0nimSued0nim Member Posts: 17,456 Member Member Posts: 17,456 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

    I'm British

    And a pedant

    And mean

    .. it is the perfect combination for foruming

    Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

    Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too

    e6657229f8aa6494737b4d3a037c6e.jpg

    Snort
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCornerNobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Member Posts: 1,018 Member Member Posts: 1,018 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

    I'm British

    And a pedant

    And mean

    .. it is the perfect combination for foruming

    Should "and" ever start with a capital letter ?

    Yes, because there is no reason not to start a sentence with a conjunction. Admittedly I forgot my fullstops (periods to you Americans) but it's the internet and that happens a lot ... I had one too few dots in my ellipsis too

    e6657229f8aa6494737b4d3a037c6e.jpg

    Pahahahahaha!
  • AdelaideNatAdelaideNat Member Posts: 91 Member Member Posts: 91 Member
    It's commonly used in Australia as well but then again, it is part of the Commonwealth ;-)
  • girldownsouthgirldownsouth Member, Premium Posts: 920 Member Member, Premium Posts: 920 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    and it's a very rare Brit that would misspell "Lose" IMO (... oo you didn't .. yup I did)

    My fb friends list must be full of very rare Brits :/

    Although I do think weigh/weight is a less common error here.
  • ndj1979ndj1979 Member Posts: 29,148 Member Member Posts: 29,148 Member
    most over used words on mfp..

    is this bad…?
  • snickerscharliesnickerscharlie Member Posts: 8,582 Member Member Posts: 8,582 Member
    My bff is a Brit and speaks the Queen's English - accent and all. I've known her for 20 years now, and it *still* cracks me up when she uses the F-bomb on a rare occasion.

    It sounds like her Majesty going all commoner. B)

  • gonettie2015gonettie2015 Member Posts: 52 Member Member Posts: 52 Member
    chips, crisps, fries...
    jelly, jello, jam, gelatin? all so confusing!
  • AdamImadAAdamImadA Member Posts: 75 Member Member Posts: 75 Member
    My bff is a Brit and speaks the Queen's English - accent and all. I've known her for 20 years now, and it *still* cracks me up when she uses the F-bomb on a rare occasion.

    It sounds like her Majesty going all commoner. B)

    Yes! My wife only tolerates swearing if it's done with a British or Audie accent.
  • fr3smylfr3smyl Member Posts: 1,421 Member Member Posts: 1,421 Member
    I like the word 'journey' people use here. I makes me think of the traveling people do in movies.
    They go from one land to another and sometimes on a mountain top, stopping in different villages to exchange tales and fight dragons.
    That's why I like it.
  • fr3smylfr3smyl Member Posts: 1,421 Member Member Posts: 1,421 Member
    I dont like the word 'lose' because according English rules it should be pronounced with a long 'O' otherwise it should be spelled luse or luze.
    This is why I like math. It makes sense.
    edited June 2015
Sign In or Register to comment.