My First Clean Bulk: looking for opinions/tips

Options

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Drop protein and increase carbs/fat. Unnecessary to have protein that high when you can be reap the benefits of a better fueled workout and recovery from carbs or fats

I second this OP. I have more or less done this for the past 8-10 months and it has worked out well so far.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Those advising you to drop protein know their stuff. I would recommend dropping it to 1.2g/lb of LBM OR just use 1g/lb of bodyweight since you're so lean ATM. Carbs and fats should be higher too. Limit your caloric surplus for a cleaner bulk but don't confuse the term clean with food sources. They don't matter once you've hit your micros for the day.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Your Salmon macros are off too btw... that or your serving size.
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    His percentages are good, he doesn't need more carbs if he's over 400 grams already. If you can't have a good workout with that many then it's not how many carbs your getting, it's something else. The fats are good too because he's trying to lean bulk so he's keep fats low. They could come up, but they don't need to.
  • LolBroScience
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    His percentages are good, he doesn't need more carbs if he's over 400 grams already. If you can't have a good workout with that many then it's not how many carbs your getting, it's something else. The fats are good too because he's trying to lean bulk so he's keep fats low. They could come up, but they don't need to.

So what benefit does taking in 300+ grams of protein provide? None, especially while bulking and only weighing 175 lbs. Protein is less important while on a bulk and that puts him at nearly 1.8g/lb BW

What does lean bulking have to do with the fat intake? You "lean bulk" by controlling the amount of the caloric surplus.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

So what benefit does taking in 300+ grams of protein provide? None, especially while bulking and only weighing 175 lbs. Protein is less important while on a bulk and that puts him at nearly 1.8g/lb BW

What does lean bulking have to do with the fat intake? You "lean bulk" by controlling the amount of the caloric surplus.

but it says the word "Fat" man.
  • rgrz82
    rgrz82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Almost half your calories are coming from shakes. I'd try cutting it down to just a post workout shake. . And a homemade weight gainer before bed as far as shakes go. Other than that looks like you should be well on your way to a decent bulk. All this "clean, dirty bulk" terms regarding food can really mess with your head. Just track everything you eat and enjoy the process, and enjoy the "bad"foods as well.
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @LolBroScience the extra protein provides more calories that aren't carbs or fat. Plus the extra protein will help with protein synthesis. Proteins are also less likely to be stored as adipose tissue. Carbs are easily stored and so is fat. Proteins also don't elicit a large insulin spike like carbs do. I'm not saying that only certain macros will be stored in excess, obviously if you eat too much of anything it'll store. How about you tell me what the benefit of taking in 500 carbs is? My point is if he has to chose from more carbs or more protein, go with protein bc the carbs are already high enough. It sounds like you're getting pretty defensive though, which makes me wonder if you even know what you're talking about. But hey, that's why I look how I look and you look how you do.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    @LolBroScience the extra protein provides more calories that aren't carbs or fat. Plus the extra protein will help with protein synthesis. Proteins are also less likely to be stored as adipose tissue. Carbs are easily stored and so is fat. Proteins also don't elicit a large insulin spike like carbs do. I'm not saying that only certain macros will be stored in excess, obviously if you eat too much of anything it'll store. How about you tell me what the benefit of taking in 500 carbs is? My point is if he has to chose from more carbs or more protein, go with protein bc the carbs are already high enough. It sounds like you're getting pretty defensive though, which makes me wonder if you even know what you're talking about. But hey, that's why I look how I look and you look how you do.

face-palm.gif
  • LolBroScience
    edited June 2015
    Options

Saying it is unnecessary to intake 1.8g protein/lb BW means I'm defensive?

Insulin isn't bad either. http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

The foundation of broscience is built on sand
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    The calories look about right. About 5-6 pounds in 4 weeks is a little more than the recommened .5-1 pound per week. Are your lifts going up? Measurements? Ice cream and cheese curds have been my go to foods.

I discovered deep fried cheese curds last year....hnnnnnng
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited June 2015
    Options

So, you are saying that DNL occurs easily/as easy as storing dietary fat as fat? Is this not ignoring net fat oxidation? You realize that there is a limit on how much protein that is used for MPS. Protein is insulinogenic - and its not bad necessarily anyway.

If he has sufficient carbs (and 500g would generally be considered to be sufficient) and sufficient carbs (in a bulk, protein requirements decrease btw), then why would you go for one or the other? Why not just eat to your preference?

OP: you are really light on fruits and veggies.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

perkinswhatever.png
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I had read that one should bump up their carbs in a bulk for energy. In a cut, raise the protein a bit more. IDK.

Yep - your protein requirements increase in a deficit.

Re carbs - at some point, more carbs just do not give anymore energy - preference really should prevail.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    The calories look about right. About 5-6 pounds in 4 weeks is a little more than the recommened .5-1 pound per week. Are your lifts going up? Measurements? Ice cream and cheese curds have been my go to foods.

I discovered deep fried cheese curds last year....hnnnnnng

Perfect for bulking. Fat, protein, carbs, lots of calories. And of course, they taste awesome too. This is on my menu quite often lately:
    http://www.culvers.com/menu-and-nutrition/sides/menu-item-details/wisconsin-cheese-curds/#nutrition

I had them first when visiting SideSteel in MN (and make sure to get them when I can when I visit) - and actually had the ones from Culvers in my last trip.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    where are the veg and fruits? Important stuff...
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    where are the veg and fruits? Important stuff...

But but but, that would increase carbs, not protein, which contradicts the "I look like I do" bro.