WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• klluncuva
    klluncuva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, this is Kathy. Just found you on the discussion list, yeah! I'm 53, and am facing an outdoor wedding in 31 days. I just want to tone up for June/July. I think the weight loss will come if I focus on that, but if it doesn't, at least I'll feel better. Going to start the 30-day Shred this evening, wish me luck.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Prayers for your nephew Lenora.

Chris in MA
  • Beneita
    Beneita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am Beneita! I am native to Jacksonville Florida.It is 99 degree's out this day and WHEW....My HORRORmones do not like that!!! I would LOVE to be a part of this 50's group, although June is nearly over and I am 58, so a few years here should be fun and inspiring! I love to encourage and to be encouraged! I was an X-extreme fitness lady back in the day and when age 42 hit and I was pregnant with my now 17 years old daughter, I have gained weight continuely and lost my fitness! I am here to start over..Been w/MFP for 42 days now and I love it! I am now back in the pool where I have the best workouts for me! New knees replaces 4 years ago so I do not pound the pavement at this time, but swim instead! Also mom to 25 and 23 year old sons and married to the best hubster ever! Thanks for this special group!!!!
  • Beneita
    Beneita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Beneita wrote: »
    Hey! I am Beneita! I am native to Jacksonville Florida.It is 99 degree's out this day and WHEW....My HORRORmones do not like that!!! I would LOVE to be a part of this 50's group, although June is nearly over and I am 58, so a few years here should be fun and inspiring! I love to encourage and to be encouraged! I was an X-extreme fitness lady back in the day and when age 42 hit and I was pregnant with my now 17 years old daughter, I have gained weight continuely and lost my fitness! I am here to start over..Been w/MFP for 42 days now and I love it! I am now back in the pool where I have the best workouts for me! New knees replaces 4 years ago so I do not pound the pavement at this time, but swim instead! Also mom to 25 and 23 year old sons and married to the best hubster ever! Thanks for this special group!!!!

8805hg4emog0.jpg
  • kariliz2
    kariliz2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What a great group. Frantic search for the Fitbit this morning. Ohhh, I put it on my bra yesterday for a change - tearing through the laundry basket and found it! Where do people who use the Fitbit One wear it? Great to hear of everyone's progress and challenges. Thanks for the suggestions.
    • Carey – I love your goal of doing one fun thing a week. So many of us take care of others in our lives that we need to be reminded to take care of ourselves, at least I do.
    • Sylvia – I agree about the photographs and how we can see ourselves differently in 2 dimensions. But I notice the same when I see pictures of other people – looking older, or heavier in pictures, than how I perceive them. Photos don’t pick up the vibrancy and activity of seeing people, or ourselves in “real life”. I like Sylvia’s comment about idea of focusing on how we feel.
    • Lisa – Wow! Very impressed with your graph. Don’t need to see the numbers to get the trend. Congratulations!
    Now on to logging, have a great day everyone.
    Kari in VT
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    The "spam key" reference almost made me spew coffee on the screen! My friend Mary calls those National Geographic boobs, and I have them too so I've never really been... shall we say... perky. The girls are harder to deal with at this weight though - my last bra was a 38GGG - and that's been a motivator for losing weight. I remember one time when I was younger I was trying to turn over in bed and the boobage was getting in the way, and I just got aggravated and started an exercise program that week.

I really sympathize with the sister who said she hates exercise. I do, too... I've tried all kinds of stuff but it still seems like a boring waste of time to me. When we moved to New Mexico years ago I finally discovered my sport, and spent many happy hours crosscountry skiing. But we're back home now (I'm a native Texan) and opportunities to ski are non-existent. I have yet to find anything that I enjoy like I did skiing. Swimming comes close but there's no lap pool anywhere near our new town. The best solution so far is to do stuff that lets me read or watch TV while doing it (e.g., exercise bike, Nordic Track). That gives my brain something to do besides come up with reasons to quit.

Lost a pound this week. Wish it were more, but I haven't found the magic wand that takes of 20 pounds at a time. One pound a week is my goal so I have to be content with slow, steady, and realistic.

Happy hump day!

-Yvonne
  • lonemaple
    lonemaple Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    wenanghen wrote: »
    Hello all ! I'm new to MFP and loving it so far. I'm from beautiful Kincardine, Ontario, Canada on the shores of Lake Huron. I'm trying to shed these 30 pound that creeped on during recent breast cancer treatment. It's going to be a slow process due to the meds I'm on but as long as it's moving in the right direction I'll be happy. Best wishes to you all !

Welcome! I have found this to be a nice group of caring women who are very supportive
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps -

yannie - you are a great friend helping her out with her bike.

janetr - don't say that, you never know. that lady started training and ran her 1st marathon at 75, so you never know.

katla
    - yeah, i know how it works as far as the girl measurement thing.

lagopus - lmao!!!!

::: virtually running with lhannon:::::

jules
    - i'm with you - not crazy about tryin to figure out those dd dh things, they explained still not crazy bout it :0/ REBUKE THAT DONUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• metallaxi
    metallaxi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    battling along with calories and exercise, no cheats this week so far. Continue with one hour morning walk and 1 hour afternoon gym. No change to report yet. It is very hot here, rain expected tomorrow. Love to you all.
    Evangelia from the Greek islands
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Whoever asked what the DS/DH/DMiL, etc., is, they're shorthand for relatives of various stripes, and the D can vary according to the day. Supposedly though, dear or darling husband, son, daughter, mother-in-law, son-in-law, granddaughter, grandson, etc. The D can be doodoohead, doofusberry, dingnagle, dickhead, dagnabbit and other less... savory terms, shall we say?

Thanks, @janetr7476, hope you enjoy This Little Pig! I started the sequel (Flak Be Nimble, working title) this week, and am so up into mystery mode, and enjoying writing at this pace again, up over 2000 words today in three days, which makes me quite happy...

Thanks for the compliments on the goals...and the progress. The graph helps a LOT, because it reminds me it's not a clean drop. It IS two steps forward one step back, stop looking at the minute, look at the month. Not always easy for me.

Anyway, off for my run, the big boss is in this afternoon, and everyone's in "run and circles scream and shout" mode except me. Because I don't WORK here, I LIVE here, and today is a good day to be me. Running with ya virtually, Miss Pip... see you in the electrons...
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Welcome to all the newcomers. I have been trying to keep up with all the new posts but this sure is a talkative group. :) So much great stuff, I wish I had more time to comment. Staying within my calories but scale doesn't seem to want to move this week. I know if I stay consistent it has to eventually. It's just math. I walk a lot every day but I think I need to add some strength training. Carey's Tai Chi in a botanical garden sounds like a dream, but so does Cheri's book on a rainy day with a "cuppa joe". Going to be another scorcher here in Bakersfield today. It's been over 100 several days this week. No relief in site. Hope you all have a beautiful day. Thanks for all your sharing.

Elizabeth in CA
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the warm welcomes and the welcome backs! :flowerforyou:

Lago yes, my profile picture is quite the prospective pusher. ;)

LisaTX Thank you for the adjustment made... I <3 it!

Gilly Congrats on the new baby!!

Sondre my home Steyr Austria. I hope you enjoy this little view of my city. I will post others another time. :)d66ex51jaz4s.jpg

"If you do not consciously form good habits, you will unconsciously form bad ones."
    Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    • If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.

• Being Fat is Hard.
    Losing Weight is Hard.
    Maintenance is Hard.

Choose Your Hard.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    WOW SASSYYYYYY - HOW LUCKY ARE YOU!!!!!!!! that is an awesome view!!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Carey: interested in tai chi, but I have pretty bad arthritis in knees and feet. What's your experience with standing for so long?

Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Oooo Jules – Good luck with Ms crunch and munch. I hope you don’t resort to the throat punch.

Today we have a catered lunch from a Rep. I SO hope he brings something healthy. I'm glad I finally figured out how to punch in food from my phone, so I don't have to play "nothing more to eat all day" again. However, since I did NOT get to work early, and my lunch will be in a meeting, I need to work-out after work before I head home. // Plus my Dad wants me to go to a church festival Friday and his tickets include a fish fry, so I will be playing the numbers game Friday, too (unless he finds someone else to attend with him).

Thanks to everyone for sharing the lovely photos. The only picture I took so far today is of the bat that is guarding the front door at work. If I can figure out how to transfer photos from one phone to another, I can show you some pictures of DS sitting on the Levee near the Mississippi in southeastern Minnesota. Since we only travel for bowling, keep with the pictures, so I can live and travel vicaiously through all of you!!!

More Hugs ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Sassy...thanks for the picture. It looks awesome!
    Gilly...Congratulations on the new grandson. Hope all are doing well. Happy Birthdays to your family.

It is a beautiful 68F here in Gloucester, MA and I just got back from a 2 1/2 mile walk with Jake the rescue dog. I really appreciate the fact that it's not hot and humid here yet and feel bad for those of you who find it too uncomfortable to be outdoors. I savor days like these and wish I could share them with you.

After my round of social engagements last week I am diligently back on the program this week. Not getting on the scale until this weekend and hopefully all the damage will be gone. Nothing going on until the weekend after next when I visit my mother in NJ and then pop down to spend the rest of the weekend with my best friend. I am hoping it will be beach weather.

We haven't heard from Leslie in Tasmania for a few days and she usually posts every day. Hopefully she is OK and her daughter is doing better.

Everyone have a great day.
    Chris in MA

• elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    Beneita wrote: »

Beneita,
    The group is 50 plus... it's like the hotel California...You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. I just turned 50 on May 31st and I'm delighted that I qualify to hang out with this group as long as I care to. Welcome aboard!

Elizabeth in CA
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: Lots of people in my group have arthritis including me (left knee). The whole point is to do what you can. When you get tired or need a break...just go have a sit down and come back to where the group is when you're ready. When I started I could only get through about 20 minutes of the 1 hour class. I'd sit down for 10 minutes or so and then join back in or sit and watch while the instructors were demonstrating a move and then join in for the doing. This is more than OK and the group is so supportive. The first lesson is free so I'd recommend trying it out and seeing if it works for you. They also have a health recovery class where you learn to do a seated set, this still has tremendous health value.
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    SweetSassie ~ your town looks like a quaint postcard. So lovely.