Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat junk when getting stuff from the local gas station. I eat packaged hard boiled eggs, pineapple, and salads there all the time. Pure junk.

B4HENQuIQAAwpBs.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I am not sure why we have to have names for the food that we eat...seems a bit silly to me. I have often wondered why we can't just eat what we want to eat and call it a day. However...

What someone wants to call their way of eating IMO is up to them...whether I understand it or not. I just think that...well nevermind what I think.

I think it's rude to claim that your way of eating is "cleaner" than others, and--perhaps more important--I think it can lead to distorted ideas about foods. There are reasons why I rarely eat potato chips (one of which is that the calories aren't worth it to me since I don't like them that much, but there are chips where I think the ingredients are better than other chips). However, none of that has to do with chips (or some chips) being "unclean." I don't think it's a useful way to characterize it and, again, rude.

It seems to me that the aggression on this forum tends to be from people who proclaim themselves "cleaner" than others (even though quite often what they seem to mean by that is that they don't eat stuff I never ate and they do eat the same processed foods I do, but just pretend they aren't processed for some reason). It's confusing and tends to make understanding more difficult. Yet they cling really hard to that term.

For me, the objection isn't to different eating styles--I think I'm on record as having my own eating quirks and as being quite open to the idea that things like low carb or paleo or vegan can work for others--it's to the claim that your own eating quirk is the One True Way or healthier than how others eat without any evidence of that, the claim that one must give up sugar or wheat or "processed foods" (even though no one does) or dairy or whatever to be healthy. It might work for individuals, sure, but it's not necessary or even a good thing for everything.

I never claimed the above. I have never claimed to eat clean nor that the food that I eat is any better than what someone else eats.

I understand that. I was speaking generally about why I object to the clean eating label, not accusing you of using it. Sorry if that was unclear--I know you aren't a self-proclaimed "clean eater."
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating clean. There is nothing wrong with asking about eating clean. You will get great results eating clean but keep in mind it's due to a calorie deficit. I eat chicken, eggs, yogurt, almonds and lots of salad. I don't label my lifestyle. I have a treat every now and then now that I have more control over my cravings. I find it hard to see that people are telling noobs ( sorry can't think of a better word) that eating chocolate and chips every day is ok. Sure in moderation it's fine. But as most of us here, we don't have "moderation" under control yet. This is only my second post on this forum. I read it a lot though. There is plenty of attacking going on. The same few people are like vultures flying in a circle waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to wander into their sites. Vultures that have the still bloodied flesh clasped between their claws from their last victim. Whew lol that was dramatic. You know what I mean. It saddens me to see a person who has more than 100 lbs to lose and make a post about how they have finally lost ten lbs. only to have their good feelings smashed by that person who says " good for you but sorry to say that was only water weight." Seriously, that's harsh. It's reality but harsh. Be nice people. We are all battling some of the same demons
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    sidricks wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with eating clean. There is nothing wrong with asking about eating clean. You will get great results eating clean but keep in mind it's due to a calorie deficit. I eat chicken, eggs, yogurt, almonds and lots of salad. I don't label my lifestyle. I have a treat every now and then now that I have more control over my cravings. I find it hard to see that people are telling noobs ( sorry can't think of a better word) that eating chocolate and chips every day is ok. Sure in moderation it's fine. But as most of us here, we don't have "moderation" under control yet. This is only my second post on this forum. I read it a lot though. There is plenty of attacking going on. The same few people are like vultures flying in a circle waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to wander into their sites. Vultures that have the still bloodied flesh clasped between their claws from their last victim. Whew lol that was dramatic. You know what I mean. It saddens me to see a person who has more than 100 lbs to lose and make a post about how they have finally lost ten lbs. only to have their good feelings smashed by that person who says " good for you but sorry to say that was only water weight." Seriously, that's harsh. It's reality but harsh. Be nice people. We are all battling some of the same demons

You say "most of us" but I don't think that's quite the truth.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options

if you give people false hope and invalid encouragement (as in your example when someone loses 10 lb of water weight), then I can guarantee as soon as their weight loss slows down to a normal rate they will quickly become discouraged that their "miraculous" rate of weight loss has stopped, and lose hope, and maybe even give up completely

many of us do not do this with the intent of being hurtful but we want people to have the correct information so they can apply it to their lifestyle changes and actually succeed instead of continuing to fail and start over

we save the real mean-ness for the other people on here who have already had (at least some) success and then proceed to give out horrible advice to the new people who really need to hear the truth more than anything else
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Quietly adding "vultures that have the still bloodied flesh clasped between their claws from their last victim" to the list of names I've been called today on the forums.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Quietly adding "vultures that have the still bloodied flesh clasped between their claws from their last victim" to the list of names I've been called today on the forums.

yeah, fresh meat wandering into your "sites" amirite
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

We never said eating chips every day was fine lol.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

But what is the definition of "Clean" foods?

I eat cinnamon toast crunch cereal, will hit up Chipotle and have a 1000 calorie gut buster burrito bowl....
    I had a Five Guys bacon cheeseburger along w/ small fries the other day......
    Still have a 6-pack today......

And there is nothing wrong with informing a person that initial weight loss is probably just a result of water being vacated from the body.....so getting that initial weight loss done....people are likely to be confused why they are no longer losing 5 - 8 pounds every week.
    I blame weight watchers and things like that for doing that crap, that is how they can make the guarantee they do....it is very fraudulent if you ask me. Losing 5 lbs of water is nothing.

Heck, 3 days ago I was 172 lbs, and today I was 168.....all because I limited my carbs over the past two days.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Whaaaaaaat???????
    I cannot even.

Eta: Went back to find the post. Lol'd.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Whaaaaaaat???????
    I cannot even.

haha she definitely gets points for the colorful imagery
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

That flesh is definitely not "clean" since vultures are typically carrion eaters.

emmys-lena-dunham-gifs-3.gif
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What else is on that list? Surely nothing as visually striking as the vulture comparison...
    (goes back to gnawing on bones of my last hapless victim)

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

This forum is flooded with the posts of people who lost 10 lbs the first week or two but now are "only" losing 1 lb per week and feel like a failure. And there are just as many in that situation who won't bother to post. They will just lose hope and quit. How is that "nicer" than understanding the simple science of how you lose weight and resetting your expectations??? The reason there is an obesity epidemic isn't because MFP posters are mean. One big reason (not the only one of course) is because most people are ignorant about weight loss and continually torture themselves with overly restrictive diets, fall short of their unrealistic expectations, and give up. They think it is easier to be overweight than to be healthy. Telling people they don't have to give up anything, just focus on the calorie goal, and make smarter choices to get there, is the nicest thing I can think of to tell newbies. Plus, it's the truth, for whatever that's worth.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    yo rza

yo razor

help me wit da flavor
  • sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Honestly all of these replies are funny :) I get it. Some people say they are feeling attacked and people just keep piling it on. I don't get it. I hate "diet" myths too. I'm sure there are plenty of threads to refer people to when they ask such questions. Might be a better way instead of rehashing things over and over
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'd really like to give this a go since my neighbor has been doing it. She has lost 15 pounds and 20 inches in 5 weeks. If I do this and get to goal could I slowly add in a few things I used to like as long as I stay at my maintaining calorie range? I'm just wondering if I'll ever be able to eat out again or enjoy things at holidays with the family. I just wouldn't want to lose it all just to gain it all back if I'd slip into old habits if I felt I was always depriving myself. I need to lose at least 80 pounds but my goal is 100. Suggestions, opinions, and advise wanted! Thank you.

Suggestion? Decide what "clean" means to you. It's very subjective here on MFP. Is your idea of eating clean incorporating more fruits and veggies with each meal? Cooking at home more? Shopping on the outer edge of the grocery store, and minimizing frozen or boxed snacks/meals?

Many people are going to recommend moderation, which is what it seems like you want to do (based on saying you want to eat out/enjoy holidays/add in things you like).

In my humble opinion, instead of locking yourself into a "clean" mindset, lock yourself into a "I'm going to use food as fuel, and incorporate treats to my intake, rather than have my intake dictated by them". Start making easy swaps; if you eat white bread, look into some whole grain or wheat bread. Like canned soup? Start making huge batches at home and freeze them. Like ice cream? Try out froyo. Bulk prep fruits and veggies for the week, so you can easily throw them into a lunch bag if you're on the go. Picking a day to meal prep and have several meals ready to go for the week is incredibly helpful as well to keep you on the wagon.

If you don't have one, get a food scale to help tighten up your logging and stay within your deficit. That will be a very helpful tool for you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Telling people they don't have to give up anything, just focus on the calorie goal, and make smarter choices to get there, is the nicest thing I can think of to tell newbies. Plus, it's the truth, for whatever that's worth.

I disagree that it's the truth. From the typical North American starting point of over-eating on SAD, it is not even remotely truthful to say they "don't have to give up anything" to meet a calorie deficit. They have to give up a LOT of food - because eating a LOT of food is where they're starting from.

Going from 2L of Coke a day to one glass of Coke a day is a *much* bigger step than going from one glass of Coke a day to none. And in fact going from 2L of Coke a day to none at all will be *much* easier for a large percentage of people than "only" reducing to a glass a day.

Let's just be honest about it - going from the SAD that got you fat to a long term caloric deficit means giving up a lot of things, either by significantly restricting, or completely eliminating.

Pretending otherwise doesn't help anybody, and causes a lot of grief for some.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Honestly all of these replies are funny :) I get it. Some people say they are feeling attacked and people just keep piling it on. I don't get it. I hate "diet" myths too. I'm sure there are plenty of threads to refer people to when they ask such questions. Might be a better way instead of rehashing things over and over

a lot of people would prefer to do that but many threads here get locked or deleted (and the thread sticky functionality recently got broken in an "update") so it is difficult to point people to the right info. and so the same questions keep getting asked all of the time as well
This discussion has been closed.