Clean Eating Question

Options

Replies

• sidricks
    sidricks Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    sidricks wrote: »
    Honestly all of these replies are funny :) I get it. Some people say they are feeling attacked and people just keep piling it on. I don't get it. I hate "diet" myths too. I'm sure there are plenty of threads to refer people to when they ask such questions. Might be a better way instead of rehashing things over and over

a lot of people would prefer to do that but many threads here get locked or deleted (and the thread sticky functionality recently got broken in an "update") so it is difficult to point people to the right info. and so the same questions keep getting asked all of the time as well

Makes sense
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    yo rza

yo razor

help me wit da flavor

ki1vll4.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    yo rza

yo razor

help me wit da flavor

ki1vll4.gif

hmm I knew I liked you for some reason

but that might just be because vultures circle together while waiting for their next victims
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Telling people they don't have to give up anything, just focus on the calorie goal, and make smarter choices to get there, is the nicest thing I can think of to tell newbies. Plus, it's the truth, for whatever that's worth.

I disagree that it's the truth. From the typical North American starting point of over-eating on SAD, it is not even remotely truthful to say they "don't have to give up anything" to meet a calorie deficit. They have to give up a LOT of food - because eating a LOT of food is where they're starting from.

Going from 2L of Coke a day to one glass of Coke a day is a *much* bigger step than going from one glass of Coke a day to none. And in fact going from 2L of Coke a day to none at all will be *much* easier for a large percentage of people than "only" reducing to a glass a day.

Let's just be honest about it - going from the SAD that got you fat to a long term caloric deficit means giving up a lot of things, either by significantly restricting, or completely eliminating.

Pretending otherwise doesn't help anybody, and causes a lot of grief for some.

Well, I guess maybe we know different people. My family, friends, and co-workers are constantly trying to quit soda, quit junk food, quit fast food. They are miserable for the two or three weeks it lasts, and then they give up, do a little emotional over-eating, and end up weighing 5 lbs more than when they started. Over and over and over again. I personally believe that it is easier to learn moderation than to quit anything cold turkey, but I can accept I could be wrong.

Regardless, it IS the truth that they don't HAVE to give up anything. I guess for some people giving some things up might be easier, but at least in my personal experience that isn't the norm. Maybe I just know a bunch of odd people!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Honestly all of these replies are funny :) I get it. Some people say they are feeling attacked and people just keep piling it on. I don't get it. I hate "diet" myths too. I'm sure there are plenty of threads to refer people to when they ask such questions. Might be a better way instead of rehashing things over and over

a lot of people would prefer to do that but many threads here get locked or deleted (and the thread sticky functionality recently got broken in an "update") so it is difficult to point people to the right info. and so the same questions keep getting asked all of the time as well

Also, a lot of people either don't read recommended stickies at all and then post questions, or only read part of the sticky and then post more questions, or misunderstand the sticky and then post more questions, or think that they are the special snowflake exception to the sticky and then post more questions...you get the picture.

Even though it seems (and is) repetitive, I appreciate the patience demonstrated by the 'veterans' here who are willing to come back and answer the same questions over and over. Yes, sometimes it's a little more on the 'tough' side of the 'tough love' equation. And sometimes they get impatient or frustrated and cave in to sarcasm or impatience (Oh nooooes, they're human!). But for the most part, they seem to be on these boards because they want to see others succeed and want to try to keep newcomers from getting sucked in to scams and diet 'miracles'.

giphy.gif

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »

Also, a lot of people either don't read recommended stickies at all and then post questions, or only read part of the sticky and then post more questions, or misunderstand the sticky and then post more questions, or think that they are the special snowflake exception to the sticky and then post more questions...you get the picture.

Even though it seems (and is) repetitive, I appreciate the patience demonstrated by the 'veterans' here who are willing to come back and answer the same questions over and over. Yes, sometimes it's a little more on the 'tough' side of the 'tough love' equation. And sometimes they get impatient or frustrated and cave in to sarcasm or impatience (Oh nooooes, they're human!). But for the most part, they seem to be on these boards because they want to see others succeed and want to try to keep newcomers from getting sucked in to scams and diet 'miracles'.

yeah and then of course many people (myself included, sometimes) just read the OP and post a reply without reading through the rest of the thread (especially if the thread is already long). so the appropriate advice or whatever may have already been given or the question already re-stated/re-phrased, etc., making that new reply no longer salient

honestly the worst people for me on MFP are the ones who dogpile in the "mean people" threads and take any and every opportunity they can to start bashing us "mean people". it is unfortunate that our advice offends some people, but that does not make it any less true or useful
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally believe that it is easier to learn moderation than to quit anything cold turkey, but I can accept I could be wrong.

I used to think so, too. Then one my best friends ended up in drug rehab - which completely changed my perspective.

There are people for whom "moderation" is the best possible advice. But there are also a lot of people for whom that is the worst possible advice.

Regardless, it IS the truth that they don't HAVE to give up anything.

Depends on the person. So, no, it is not a universal truth IMO.
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I personally believe that it is easier to learn moderation than to quit anything cold turkey, but I can accept I could be wrong.

I used to think so, too. Then one my best friends ended up in drug rehab - which completely changed my perspective.

There are people for whom "moderation" is the best possible advice. But there are also a lot of people for whom that is the worst possible advice.

Depends on the person. So, no, it is not a universal truth.

I do understand where you are coming from, I know people who have gone to rehab too

but we are talking about food here, not physically addictive substances. so the comparison is a bit fallacious. but my intent in saying this is not to turn this into a "sugar addiction" thread. that is just my opinion on the matter
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Every time when I read a thread like this I walk away confused after staements like " I don't eat anything that comes in a wrapper or package ".
    I wonder where the people who make such statements live. Or don't they eat rice, beans, pasta, legumes and don't they add spices or herbs to your cooking, or use non-processed flour to bake the occasional " clean " cake ? I have lived in 11 countries so far and in my experience beans usually come in a bag, as does rice and flour, pasta is usually sold in a package or bag. Spices and herbs come in a container. Anything else would be against the sanitation laws of many countries. Even when I bought and still buy bulk stuf, it's still put in a bag and not just poured into my pants pocket.
    I just don't get why the absence of packaging should make a food item more natural, or better. When I read the above mentioned statement, I always imagine people carrying their stuff home in cupped hands, because any kind of packaging would otherwise make food " bad ".
    Processing and packaging are two different things.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My Lays Potato Chips do not contain trans fat.

Did you know that this past Wednesday the American FDA passed a law that all trans fats have to disappear by June 2018 ?
    This is mostly because the snack and baked goods industry has not made good on their promise to do away with, or greatly diminish these fats. The FDA mentioned that trans fats are not healthy for human consumption and while not going into great detail, they mentioned that trans fats are toxic and especially bad for people with obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
    In the meantime people, just like you, need to read labels and make intelligent choices.

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh.....the MFP 'Friday Feeling' is running at full steam today i see :p
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

*nods* lol
  • FitForL1fe
    edited June 2015
    Options

Not enough gifs for my tastes, though.

73366-train-hitting-cat-gif-amgBM-2jxi.gif

haha we really need stickies to work again

then we need a sticky jpg/gif reaction thread where we stash all of them for quick reference

I'm getting tired of bookmarking gifs :tongue:
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Not enough gifs for my tastes, though.

73366-train-hitting-cat-gif-amgBM-2jxi.gif

haha we really need stickies to work again

then we need a sticky jpg/gif reaction thread where we stash all of them for quick reference

I'm getting tired of bookmarking gifs :tongue:

Yes the cat gifs! Now my Friday is complete!

Also, good suggestion. But i think we should have complete template threads, so the next time someone posts something like 'what do you guys think of juicing?' (as invariably happens once a week), we can just roll it out, broscience and nonsensical comments and all!! Save us a hell of a lot of time :p
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's Friday! Act like it!
    smxx83x2n0vn.jpg
    :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with eating clean. There is nothing wrong with asking about eating clean. You will get great results eating clean but keep in mind it's due to a calorie deficit. I eat chicken, eggs, yogurt, almonds and lots of salad. I don't label my lifestyle. I have a treat every now and then now that I have more control over my cravings. I find it hard to see that people are telling noobs ( sorry can't think of a better word) that eating chocolate and chips every day is ok. Sure in moderation it's fine. But as most of us here, we don't have "moderation" under control yet. This is only my second post on this forum. I read it a lot though. There is plenty of attacking going on. The same few people are like vultures flying in a circle waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to wander into their sites. Vultures that have the still bloodied flesh clasped between their claws from their last victim. Whew lol that was dramatic. You know what I mean. It saddens me to see a person who has more than 100 lbs to lose and make a post about how they have finally lost ten lbs. only to have their good feelings smashed by that person who says " good for you but sorry to say that was only water weight." Seriously, that's harsh. It's reality but harsh. Be nice people. We are all battling some of the same demons

Yet another poster who talks about others attacking, yet says way worse things about the people she claims are attacking others.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Depends on the person. So, no, it is not a universal truth.

I do understand where you are coming from, I know people who have gone to rehab too

but we are talking about food here, not physically addictive substances. so the comparison is a bit fallacious. but my intent in saying this is not to turn this into a "sugar addiction" thread. that is just my opinion on the matter

I don't believe the evidence support "sugar addiction".

But there is *plenty* of evidence that a very large proportion of the population manages better with elimination rather than restriction.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's Friday! Act like it!
    smxx83x2n0vn.jpg
    :)

tumblr_n4z6gz04vQ1qdlh1io1_r1_400.gif

This discussion has been closed.