My Food Diary - Your opinions please

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @livingleanlivingclean That's some good advice, maybe like a glass of milk with my dinner? And I like the smoothie idea, thanks.

@Chezzie84 Listening, that's for sure...whether or not I'll act, I haven't decided. Seems there are so many contradictory sources of info out there!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @rabbitjb I mean a quick google search yielded this "Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 10% to 35% of their day's calories from protein foods. That's about 46 grams of protein for women, and 56 grams of protein for men." And I'm like doubling that?? I just don't get it

Ok well the general info I give out is to people who are strength training as they are losing weight and it is based on this, but comes in at a different angle eg you don't need to aim for 1g protein per lb because there's no evidence of further benefit http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

In the UK the RNI is 0.75g protein per kg bodyweight which would give you a personal target of 105g as a minimum

Your US target would be 10% -35% of your TDEE calories...your TDEE is what? 3500? Which would give you 136g if you aimed for 35%

• AspenDan
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @rabbitjb I mean a quick google search yielded this "Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 10% to 35% of their day's calories from protein foods. That's about 46 grams of protein for women, and 56 grams of protein for men." And I'm like doubling that?? I just don't get it

Ok well the general info I give out is to people who are strength training as they are losing weight and it is based on this, nut comes in at a different angle eg you don't need to aim for 1g per lb because there's no evidence of further benefit http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

In the UK the RNI is 0.75g protein per kg bodyweight which would give you a personal target of 105g as a minimum

Your US target would be 10% -35% of your TDEE calories...your TDEE is what? 3500? Which would give you 136g

That seems like some solid math..so I'll try to fit in like 30ish more protein somewhere...maybe some eggs or something?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Read this - then read it again.

That's not for adults in a calorie deficit.
    Read this and then read it again.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Sorry I based that on 310 lbs cos I misremembered your weight ...but it won't make much difference
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You are not eating enough. If you have trouble meeting your calorie intake, check out this list of calorie dense food put together by @diannethegeek

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Honestly I think you need to focus on hitting your calorie target properly

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • AspenDan
    Options

That's not for adults in a calorie deficit.
    Read this and then read it again.

I'll read it once, deal?
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    protein rich foods usually keep you fuller for longer. I am learning the hard way after cutting my calories really low (1200) on and off for a good few years, I hit a bad point where I wasn't losing, even though I was keeping my calories low and exercising religiously 5-6 x a week. I was coming in from an exhausting job (teacher) and had to go to bed for a nap as I was that fatigued...my body was pretty much shutting down on me :(
    At the beginning of this month I gradually started increasing my calories again to TDEE, and guess what? the scale started moving in the right direction again.

Also if my research and interpretation is correct, when you u aren't extremely active and if you eat really low your body clings onto fat as it thinks you are starving - your body has to get its energy from somewhere so your body goes to muscle stores to gain its energy, hence stripping you of calorie burning lean muscle. Eating more and protein dense foods help maintain this muscle. In my opinion they are much more satisfying and filling too!

Weight loss is a journey not a quick fix :)

(other posters pleeeeease say if my interpretation is incorrect! I'm a bit of a newbie into this way of thinking!)
  • Charlotte596_
    Charlotte596_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If your going ask a question for advice and then already choose to ignore the advice what's the point in asking the question?!
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One thing I keep thinking is, I've been eating this way, between 1200-1600 calories a day, for over 2 weeks. Honestly, if I was truly robbing myself of a lot of muscle, and killing my metabolism or whatever, wouldn't I feel it by now? Maybe needing an extra nap in my day, or not having the energy to get up and cook dinner or whatever? Literally, if anything, I've been feeling better... ?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    One thing I keep thinking is, I've been eating this way, between 1200-1600 calories a day, for over 2 weeks. Honestly, if I was truly robbing myself of a lot of muscle, and killing my metabolism or whatever, wouldn't I feel it by now? Maybe needing an extra nap in my day, or not having the energy to get up and cook dinner or whatever? Literally, if anything, I've been feeling better... ?

You are not eating enough. Period.

But you'll learn your own way ...eventually
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    Simply, no...you wouldn't feel it in just 2 weeks.

Your body needs time to adjust whether increasing or decreasing. The first week if you saw a big loss at low calories it could just be water weight lost. Eventually your body will think 1200 is the norm, it will think there's a famine going on and do anything to cling on to energy, you must not eat under your BMR. Seriously, low is not the way to go. Have a look at the Eat More To Weigh Less group on here, they answered a lot of my questions.

IF you keep eating like that you will feel it. It takes a long time to fully feel the effects of low calorie eating and undernourishment.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Everything you say just reinforces you really don't have a clue but seem determined to stick to your method and ignore advice from people who have been successful.
    I'll give up now and do something you should be doing, exercise and then eat.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Everything you say just reinforces you really don't have a clue but seem determined to stick to your method and ignore advice from people who have been successful.
    I'll give up now and do something you should be doing, exercise and then eat.

I think maybe my patience for debate is a bit higher, I enjoy hearing the pro's and con's of everything and often play devil's advocate for the sake of a good conversation. Sorry to come off as pigheaded.
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    using Scooby's calculator

your
    BMR (calories your body uses in a day to keep you alive and all things functioning whilst at rest, breathing, heartbeat etc) - 2708 calories

You should NOT be eating UNDER this number

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) (accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation) even putting in your activity level as sedentary (desk job and little exercise) your TDEE comes out at 3249 calories.

as a general rule you should take your TDEE minus 10%-15% to lose weight safely and keep the weight off for good. Yes, it might take a little longer than a quick fix low calorie diet but it will be better in the longrun.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

your
    BMR (calories your body uses in a day to keep you alive and all things functioning whilst at rest, breathing, heartbeat etc) - 2708 calories

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) (accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation) even putting in your activity level as sedentary (desk job and little exercise) your TDEE comes out at 3249 calories.

as a general rule you should take your TDEE minus 10%-15% to lose weight safely and keep the weight off for good. Yes, it might take a little longer than a quick fix low calorie diet but it will be better in the longrun.

That's not actually true ...there is no issue with eating below BMR

As he's obese he can easily cope with a higher cut
  • AspenDan
    Options

your

Ok so here's what I'll do, I'll try to up it to about 1800 calories, and get in some more protein. I'll try that for a couple weeks and if I don't gain weight, I should just continue??
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    At 320 lbs you can run a big deficit for a good while. Go for it if you aren't hungry and are getting adequate nutrition.
  • pixie_mills
    Options

your

Fair point well made :) Maybe I've only been told not to eat under that number as I don't have a lot to lose and I'm short...my BMR is pretty low anyway (hanging out at around 1400)

Seriously dude - listen to this poster! she knows her stuff!