Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    using Scooby's calculator

your
    BMR (calories your body uses in a day to keep you alive and all things functioning whilst at rest, breathing, heartbeat etc) - 2708 calories

You should NOT be eating UNDER this number

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) (accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation) even putting in your activity level as sedentary (desk job and little exercise) your TDEE comes out at 3249 calories.

as a general rule you should take your TDEE minus 10%-15% to lose weight safely and keep the weight off for good. Yes, it might take a little longer than a quick fix low calorie diet but it will be better in the longrun.

That's not actually true ...there is no issue with eating below BMR

As he's obese he can easily cope with a higher cut

Ok so here's what I'll do, I'll try to up it to about 1800 calories, and get in some more protein. I'll try that for a couple weeks and if I don't gain weight, I should just continue??

Or you could aim to hit your actual calorie goal

1800 wouldn't be too drastic
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You definitely need more protein. To put it in perspective, I'm a 5'3 125lb woman, and I eat 150+ grams a day.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    You definitely need more protein. To put it in perspective, I'm a 5'3 125lb woman, and I eat 150+ grams a day.
    I think I'll up it for sure.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    75 grams of protein is enough for an obese weight loss plan, according to expert guidelines. There's something faintly excessive about 150g in a 5'3" woman, in my opinion.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    @rabbitjb I mean a quick google search yielded this "Adults in the U.S. are encouraged to get 10% to 35% of their day's calories from protein foods. That's about 46 grams of protein for women, and 56 grams of protein for men." And I'm like doubling that?? I just don't get it

I'm female and aim for 80-100g of protein per day, especially as I do a lot of strength training. I also aim for 1660 calories and I'm only 5'6.

I find protein fills me up for much longer. I usually have eggs for breakfast, but sometimes if I'm in a rush I have weetabix or muesli, and I find I get hungrier a lot sooner.

I used to eat only 1200 calories per day, but once I increased I lost weight faster, probably because I had more energy for my workouts.
  • AspenDan
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok I've got a question...they say healthy weight loss can be between .5 and 2lbs per week, or more if you're really big (me, basically). So let's say I go to lose 2lbs a week, thats = 7000calorie deficit correct? So that means I'd need to eat 1000 less per day than my TDE per?? I dunno, trying to get clarification.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    One thing I keep thinking is, I've been eating this way, between 1200-1600 calories a day, for over 2 weeks. Honestly, if I was truly robbing myself of a lot of muscle, and killing my metabolism or whatever, wouldn't I feel it by now? Maybe needing an extra nap in my day, or not having the energy to get up and cook dinner or whatever? Literally, if anything, I've been feeling better... ?

Everything you say just reinforces you really don't have a clue but seem determined to stick to your method and ignore advice from people who have been successful.
    I'll give up now and do something you should be doing, exercise and then eat.

I think maybe my patience for debate is a bit higher, I enjoy hearing the pro's and con's of everything and often play devil's advocate for the sake of a good conversation. Sorry to come off as pigheaded.

There's really nothing to debate. They gave you advice, either take it or don't. Eat well and get some exercise in, keep track of both and you'll be fine. Don't undercut yourself because this will take a long time and it has to be sustainable.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    One thing I keep thinking is, I've been eating this way, between 1200-1600 calories a day, for over 2 weeks. Honestly, if I was truly robbing myself of a lot of muscle, and killing my metabolism or whatever, wouldn't I feel it by now? Maybe needing an extra nap in my day, or not having the energy to get up and cook dinner or whatever? Literally, if anything, I've been feeling better... ?

Everything you say just reinforces you really don't have a clue but seem determined to stick to your method and ignore advice from people who have been successful.

I think maybe my patience for debate is a bit higher, I enjoy hearing the pro's and con's of everything and often play devil's advocate for the sake of a good conversation. Sorry to come off as pigheaded.

There's really nothing to debate. They gave you advice, either take it or don't. Eat well and get some exercise in, keep track of both and you'll be fine. Don't undercut yourself because this will take a long time and it has to be sustainable.
    There should always be debate...debate is what makes us human...but we're digressing I think :]
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    @20yearsyounger I like your positivity about the protein thing...sure if I'm going to go eat a greasy amazing bacon cheese burger, I might make 150+ protein for the day, but otherwise I just dont enjoy meat enough to eat that much of it. I am at work in my picture, but sadly I work overnights, and can't let the phone ring more than 3 times (that 5 star forbes standard!) So I'm pretty much chained to the desk outside of my half hour break (which I use to go to the gym and bike/walk). I mean I'm obviously not TOTALLY sedentary, but I live like an fairly average american, where most of my entertainment is digital.

Please don't like bad advice just because it fits with your current thinking ...you said you were on a learning curve so learn

Sources of protein are not restricted to "greasy bacon cheeseburgers" ..try Greek yogurt for instance ...eggs..

Sorry, I don't stopped listening to recommendations on this site a long time ago and I get my information from organizations such as ACE and ACSM. The average person needs roughly .36 to .45 grams of protein per pound. You can go look it up. If you are doing extra then you need extra protein of course.
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I ate way too little for way too long (less than 1000 calories for months) and yeah i lost heaps of weight. Which at first i thought was great and in my mind i didnt even need the extra calories. But after a while i became weak/tired/cold/unhappy/miserable all the time. Getting through the day was a struggle. And then when i did start to eat more i gained some weight but i also gained some energy and started to enjoy life again.
    I am now a healthy weight which is good but i always tell people i'd rather be slightly overweight n have energy/life in me than underweight n sick.
    If u eat too little for too long u wont get the results you want, itll eventually eat away at who you are. Just allow yourself a bit more a day and lose weight the healthy way.
    :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ok I've got a question...they say healthy weight loss can be between .5 and 2lbs per week, or more if you're really big (me, basically). So let's say I go to lose 2lbs a week, thats = 7000calorie deficit correct? So that means I'd need to eat 1000 less per day than my TDE per?? I dunno, trying to get clarification.

Yep, that's the calorie maths.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I have to agree that your intake is a little low. Looking at it from the point of view of change in lifestyle is helpful. You already said why you got big so you don't need to diet. All that will happen is that you feel energized, you drop 10-20 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then you get demotivated because it finally catches up with you. You probably should be more around 1800 on intake.

I'm not in the protein overload camp so your protein is fine to me. Sleep 8 hours a week great. If you are at work in your picture, it looks like you have opportunities to move more.

Sorry so you cut his calories even more? To speed up his weight loss and decimate further LBM putting him at increased risk of things like gallstones etc ...wow!

Can you explain what you believe protein overload is and source evidence for why you think it's fine...or is it just "dem feels"

Protein is an important macro

Also, I am not saying eat less, I am saying eat more (as it looks like his intake for the past few days has been around 1200) and he really shouldn't be under 1800 cause that is probably where is BMR is around a healthy weight.

• AspenDan
    Options
    I have to agree that your intake is a little low. Looking at it from the point of view of change in lifestyle is helpful. You already said why you got big so you don't need to diet. All that will happen is that you feel energized, you drop 10-20 pounds in the first 3 weeks and then you get demotivated because it finally catches up with you. You probably should be more around 1800 on intake.

I'm not in the protein overload camp so your protein is fine to me. Sleep 8 hours a week great. If you are at work in your picture, it looks like you have opportunities to move more.

Sorry so you cut his calories even more? To speed up his weight loss and decimate further LBM putting him at increased risk of things like gallstones etc ...wow!

Can you explain what you believe protein overload is and source evidence for why you think it's fine...or is it just "dem feels"

Protein is an important macro

Also, I am not saying eat less, I am saying eat more (as it looks like his intake for the past few days has been around 1200) and he really shouldn't be under 1800 cause that is probably where is BMR is around a healthy weight.
    I'll try to bump it up to about 1800, that sounds pretty reasonable.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »

There should always be debate...debate is what makes us human...but we're digressing I think :]

Not in your situation. But hey, it's your journey. Good luck OP!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Please remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Yes we all want to lose weight quickly but the win goes to the ones who can stick to I it. What everyone here is trying to tell you, and they have the results to back it up, is that such a low calorie intake is not a healthy and sustainable weight loss plan. It screams of the yoyo dieter. You'll lose 50-60 pounds and then get tired of it and stop. You have so much weight to lose you need to stop thinking of this as a diet and just a way you are going to eat from now on. Also besides weight loss you also need to think of the vitamins and minerals a body of your size needs to be healthy. You don't want malnutrition which can lead to major muscle loss and hair loss. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns....so try not to lose it. Thus everybody's suggestion of upping the protein. If you don't like meat let me suggest try adding a protein shake to your day. I included one of the Premier protein shakes from Costco. 30 grams of protein and 160 calories but it also gives you potassium and other vitamins your body needs.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Please remember that this is a marathon and not a sprint. Yes we all want to lose weight quickly but the win goes to the ones who can stick to I it. What everyone here is trying to tell you, and they have the results to back it up, is that such a low calorie intake is not a healthy and sustainable weight loss plan. It screams of the yoyo dieter. You'll lose 50-60 pounds and then get tired of it and stop. You have so much weight to lose you need to stop thinking of this as a diet and just a way you are going to eat from now on. Also besides weight loss you also need to think of the vitamins and minerals a body of your size needs to be healthy. You don't want malnutrition which can lead to major muscle loss and hair loss. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns....so try not to lose it. Thus everybody's suggestion of upping the protein. If you don't like meat let me suggest try adding a protein shake to your day. I included one of the Premier protein shakes from Costco. 30 grams of protein and 160 calories but it also gives you potassium and other vitamins your body needs.

Agree. I have moved away from the greasy burgers etc (somewhat :)). Now, I just buy some meat from the grocery store, put it on the grill, add some mccormmicks, and that could easily be 40-60 grams of protein for me. I am not a shake person. However, I have encountered some candy bars, I mean protein bars, that cost roughly the same, that are roughly 200 calories and gives me 20g of protein. Easily helps me fill my quota without eating meat.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it's just about logging. ALWAYS log, even when you overeat - in fact, especially when you overeat. People get wrapped up in being proud of their diaries - and that's great - but then they don't log stuff because they want to keep being proud of the diary, lol. The diary becomes a lie and is of no real use when you look for patterns later. View your diary as a record of your successes and failures, something to look back on when you've accomplished your goal...and something that can be examined to help you accomplish it. Don't lie to yourself! :)

Learn from what you eat. What fills you up? What makes you crave more? What makes you sluggish? Later, you can get into watching your macros (protein, fat, carbs) and even micros (vitamins, minerals.). If you want. Or not, if you don't.

There is no law that says you must measure on a scale. You can use the cups and teaspoons. If you don't lose, just lower your calorie goal. If the goal is having the Best Estimate Possible, weigh it all to the gram. If the goal is to lose weight, use the measuring cups if you want to.

I don't have an opinion on anyone's diary. I don't care what people eat, lol. Our opinions don't matter, anyway. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

What do you think about your diary? :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    He's 310lbs and consuming 1200 calories

You don't think that's relevant

Why comment if you didn't even bother looking at his diary which was his request in the first place
  • tshuk00
    tshuk00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @danieltsmoke, let me give you a frame of reference for what I am doing. My diary is open so go check it if you want. My starting/current stats:
    Weight: 300lbs (Jan 2015)/253 (today)
    Calorie goal: 1800 per day (Jan 2015)/1600 calories per day (today)

In 6 months I have dropped about 45lbs without restricting nearly as heavily as you. I do hit the gym 3x a week and do strength training but little to no cardio. I also have a desk job. But I'm a woman and 5'9" so I have a lower TDEE than you. Keep in mind I am on also on a high deficit that is below my BMR. I have cheat days because most people need that sometimes, especially people like us that already come from a history of a bad relationship with food and disordered eating.

I also do the thing where I scan a package and then if it comes up as cups, and I know that a "cup" is 150 g or whatever, and I only weigh out 75g, I just put in .5 of a serving when I scan it. That is fine if you are being accurate. Your potato estimate is accurate- a 5.3 oz baked potato with nothing added at all is ~110 calories. But you have the room and your body needs it- eat the whole freaking potato!

You need fat in your diet- it messes up your brain function if you eat too little fat. And you need more protein to prevent yourself from burning too much muscle during your weight loss. You say you don't like meat enough to eat more of it. Eat eggs. Beans. Nuts. Lentils. Tofu. Dairy.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    tshuk00 wrote: »
    @danieltsmoke, let me give you a frame of reference for what I am doing. My diary is open so go check it if you want. My starting/current stats:
    Weight: 300lbs (Jan 2015)/253 (today)
    Calorie goal: 1800 per day (Jan 2015)/1600 calories per day (today)

In 6 months I have dropped about 45lbs without restricting nearly as heavily as you. I do hit the gym 3x a week and do strength training but little to no cardio. I also have a desk job. But I'm a woman and 5'9" so I have a lower TDEE than you. Keep in mind I am on also on a high deficit that is below my BMR. I have cheat days because most people need that sometimes, especially people like us that already come from a history of a bad relationship with food and disordered eating.

I also do the thing where I scan a package and then if it comes up as cups, and I know that a "cup" is 150 g or whatever, and I only weigh out 75g, I just put in .5 of a serving when I scan it. That is fine if you are being accurate. Your potato estimate is accurate- a 5.3 oz baked potato with nothing added at all is ~110 calories. But you have the room and your body needs it- eat the whole freaking potato!

You need fat in your diet- it messes up your brain function if you eat too little fat. And you need more protein to prevent yourself from burning too much muscle during your weight loss. You say you don't like meat enough to eat more of it. Eat eggs. Beans. Nuts. Lentils. Tofu. Dairy.

Agree with all this ...but he logged 55 cals for the potato not 110... Did you miss the negative?