WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Good news about your eyes! :flowerforyou:

Jen from N CA: Consider getting the high calorie, low nutrition temptations out of your house so they won’t tempt you. Give it way if it is unopened; toss it if open. We donated quite a bit to the food bank in the beginning. :blush:

Cheryl: It is nice to welcome a fellow Oregonian. This is an amazing group. I’m glad you found us. :bigsmile:

Sylvia: I love today’s joke about the psych student in the bar. Karma occasionally gets the job done... :devil:

DS and DDIL just left after an unexpected visit. We enjoyed their company very much. I mad chili for everyone and left it in the crockpot awhile we did other things. After dinner, I ended up with a tummy ache. I think the crockpot wasn’t hot enough. I’m going to have to do some testing but it is possible I will be replacing it.

Happy Father’s Day to everyone still lucky enough to have a living father she loves. My dad was one of a kind and I will always treasure his memory. The cemetery is a long ways from here and I took Dad flowers on Mother’s Day. I manage to get there a couple of times each year.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    zj59qedveujr.jpg

Front pic of my house since we r showing homes
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Oh that pic is a lil old but u get the idea, obviously during Christmas
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Did 40 minutes of a Jari Love Bootcamp DVD. Sundays really need to be more of an active recovery day for me. Anyway, tomorrow's plan is to do some yoga, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class.

Patsy - I wish I had more time with my father, too. When he had time, I was really busy with the kids. By the time I have time to just sit and really talk to him, he's gone. How I miss him!

Cheri - I put my email in, they sent me the link, when I click on the link it just brings me to the page which asks you for your email. I even did that twice, thinking that maybe there was a glitch the first time, but the same thing happened the second time.

DJ
    - do you know that I have never had sweet tea? I've heard it had lots of sugar in it, and I just haven't had any desire for it at all. Yup, doesn't Pip look fantastic (not to mention Kirby)

miriam
    - you name the disease, we've probably been thru it....lol Actually, Vince gets this newsletter called CatFancy put out by Tufts Univ. I swear they must be a fly on my wall, it seems that every issue deals with something we've dealt with. Had 3 cats with hyperthyroidism, each got the radioactive isotope treatment and was fine afterwards. I can tell you the routine we have to go thru. Had one that was diabetic. At first I thought "there's no way I can give the insulin, I'd be afraid I was hurting him" but I got to the point where giving the insulin was no biggie at all. Another one had a polyp in her ear. It was so far into the ear that we had to take her to NCState to be operated. They had to go in thru her jaw, the vet here just didn't have the equipment to get the polyp. Now we have the one with the seizure disorder (he's the one who needs 2 different kinds of meds). One of the ones we have now was a real biter when we got her. Well, in a way I can undertand it. She's small and I know that this woman tries to find homes for cats but if she can't she brings them to the Humane Society. Well, bonnie was with other cats and I'm sure she had to fight for whatever she had which is probably why she's a biter. But now I can tell you that she does still nip, but no where near how bad it was when we first got her. We can pet her. Before she wouldn't let us. Loved the colors of your house

Nancy - how did you determine what your maximum heartrate should be? I know that I can go to some sites here on the net, but they don't take into acount the present condition of your heart. Sounds like you're doing fantastic!

Janet in OC
    - WTG on that loss

Shari
    - welcome to a great site

JanetMMcC
    - we use the Pill Pockets for the phenobarbitol. But they aren't big enough for the capsule. Our vet gave us this pill shooter. It's a marvelous thing. It's like a syringe but with a rubber tip. You put the capsule in the tip, the trick is to be sure to get the shooter back enough in the throat so that the gag reflex takes over and he gets the capsule, then push the plunger. Takes all of about 2 seconds. He isn't crazy about it, but at least it doesn't last long at all.

I hope someone posts the link for that test because what I get is just a link asking me for my email

Joyce
    - I'm with you, I'll send food back to the kitchen if it isn't the way I want it. My father was the same way as Charlie -- he didn't like if I spent much money on him. Well, one time he really needed a warm coat. I knew that he'd never in a million years accept the coat I got him if he ever knew how much I paid for it. But he really did need a good warm coat. So I told him that it was half price. Then he accepted it. Good shopping there!

Nancy
    - how I wish MFP would get the Meals Tab fixed. I just find it so frustrating when I search for a food item, find the one that is correct for me, then if I don't have that item for a while it goes off my "recent" list. I'd much rather make it a "meal", then whenever I want I know that I can get the correct nutritionals. I understand that they have to have a lot of different ones, things are different in different countries, companies change their formulations, etc. I've only been waiting for about 3 years for it to get fixed. I don't have the premium package, I just note in the "notes" section what exercise I did and it doesn't get added back in. I agree with you, that "copy from today" is really stupid. You're supposed to get a variety of foods in your diet, not the same thing day in and day out. If you do, then you're missing out on nutrients, etc. You know, MFP has breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks (or you can customize it for your needs). Well, when I changed to "all foods", I deleted the lunch/dinner/snacks and just assumed that the total calories for the day would stay the same. Not so!!! I then had to put lunch/dinner/snacks back in and then the entries showed up!

thinn - welcome! You've come to a great place for motivation

Becca
    - thanks for sharing. Made me feel emotional

Lisa
    - happy birthday to your husband, he definitely is a hottie. Great job on that graph. I wouldn't doubt if you'd make it by July 1, you're so determined

barbie
    - you have to tell us about the ceremony. I've never been to one like it.

honeyrose
    - welcome. We're like on big family here, so you'll make lots and lots of friends

katla
    - enjoy your guests

miriam - lovely home! How kewl that the names are there.

terri
    - maybe my computer is blocking because I keep getting sent in circles, too. Vince probably has good blocking on it for me

Cheryl
    - welcome! where did you go on vacation and how long were you gone? You've come to a good place for encouragement and motivation

Poop
    - there is no way on this green earth you'd find me in a two piece. I hand it to you. Of course, with legs like yours, it probably isn't much of a problem. You poor baby, hope it doesn't take the nail long to heal

Renny
    - how long have you been on this forum?

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    These are the pictures I posted on FB today for Father's Day. In the first I am about 4 or 5 years old (front row on the left). In the second I am 50ish (back row 2nd in from the left). That picture is from my father's 80th birthday party.
    Cheri

pg03kmcxf7un.jpg
    s9z2w7d0v4x2.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    atk0gd8ebear.jpg

This is the lunch I had today...ordered it without rice and brought half of it home and Jake ate it for supper (along with a bowl of frozen yogurt for dessert)

:) Michele,the Jukai ceremony was very interesting. There were three Buddhist monks present...ringing of bell, rhythms with drums, chanting, incense, and group readings. I was glad that they let me take pictures in the Zendo during the ceremony....not all spiritual and religious events allow photos.

<3 Barbie
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To which he responds, at the top of his lungs, "What do you mean $200!"

:D

*Thanks for the chuckle Molly. That was perfect rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

* Janetr: your grandbaby is precious. <3

~Jen in easy breezy beautiful California
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hubby had a nice Father`s day.Got to relax,something he doesn`t get to do much.
    Made his fav meal .
    Hugs jane
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lonemaple wrote: »

So Jen, What does kale taste like....it looks so stiff I can't imagine eating it uncooked.

Hi LoneMaple! It's crunchy, and can be dry, but you can taste the vitamins A and C (like you can taste them in spinach). It can be bitter or tangy (because of the high iron content).

I put Udo's oil (maybe 1 tbs) over it to moisten it up, along with some dressing. Oh, and it helps if you chop it into small bite-size pieces. You do get used to it; it's quite nutritious. ;)

salad-smiley-emoticon-emoji.gif

~Jen
  • pipcd34
    Options
    barbie - mmmmmmmmmmm
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Poop, so glad your eyes are better. And yes, shame on you for not at least having goggles with you on the sand run, just in case it was blowing.

Katla, have fun with your company.

Sylvia, that is terrible about that dog trainer. Man, I’d have been p*ssed! Sorry for your midnight ride, but like you say, better safe than sorry.

Yannie, I have to agree with you and unfortunately my willpower has been cr*p lately.

Heather, I just love your travels and getting to hear about them. Thanks and have a ball.

Nancy, congrats on getting moving in the right direction.

Janetr, what a doll baby! I’ll bet that made Poppy’s day?

Pippinc, welcome to this group of supportive ladies. Please tell us a little more about yourself and we ask that you sign each post with the name you want us to call you. Best of luck on your journey.

Poop, I like your house and I like Christmas decorations any time of year. Ohhhh, so sorry about your nail. I hate it when that happens. Need to cut it short and keep tight band aide on it for a while.

MicheleNC, that is what happened to me with the link I got on the email. I typed that same address into the address bar on my laptop and it took me to the quiz. I don’t know why my desktop would not work?

Cheri, your parents look great at his 80th BD.

Sylvia, I like the joke. Sounds like something Pip would do. ROF

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It’s been a pretty lazy week for me. My only excuse is the heat. DH had a nice Father’s Day even though our only child is all the way across the country. She called and we each had a nice chat with her. I fixed him a nice dinner. Tomorrow I have a HOA board meeting which should be fun. We’ve been having vandalism at the pool so have to decide what we are going to do to stop it. Any solution will cost money.

I hope we all have a great week ahead, with lots of successes, health and happiness.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love ya, <3
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday here and just posted weigh/tape/BF% to Tom Venuto site, I lost some total weight, gained a little body fat but not too bad since I hardly trained last week. NEED to train HARD this week and eat healthy again
    My food cals are 1651 for the day.
    Training: JM's kick-boxing before breakfast, JJ's Cross Training and JM's BR weights soon, walk dog this afternoon. I LOVE kick-boxing
    Daughter went home Thursday and she taught her boxing class Saturday morning by yelling and her oldest son showing moves, lol
    My husband is 71 this year and is fit and well, ex-husband (divorced 1972) and 69 this year is FAT and has 5 stents in his heart. He was a racing cyclist fit and healthy when we were courting and during our marriage, hands in the air
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) Pip, I love your house....ours is a very comfortable manufactured home surrounded by tall trees, but not charming like yours.....I love the picture of your fur children.....Jake's fur children got him a fathers day card that said "when they passed out the 'awesome sauce', you must have taken extra".....Jake is a great dad to Brandy, Sasha, and Bernie.....we have been watching the US Open Golf Tournament as much for the scenery of our Puget Sound area as for the golf.

<3 Barbie
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Having multiple tech issues tonight. Grrr! Glad to be here on my phone.

Someone here asked how to calculate your heart rate. The formula is 220 minus your current age. Then take that number and multiply by the percentage(s) you want.

For example, a 50 year old person would look like this: 220-50= 170, which is the Maximum Heart Rate for a 50 yo person.

Then 170×70% = 110 BPM (Beats Per Minute). So, 110 BPM would be 70% MHR for a 50 yo person.

Most sources recommend a broad range of 50 to 85% MHR, depending on your fitness level and goals.

You can calculate any percent you'd like by using this formula. :smile:
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Miriam - I love the colors on your house. I really like your bathroom sink. The museum where I blow glass has green glass sinks in the bathrooms. I keep thinking I want a glass sink one of these days. I think they are so pretty.

Sylvia - Is that Molly in the picture? She is a pretty girl.

Mia in MI
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting lovely pics of Austria, gorgeous sweet dogs, babies, and lovely Christmasy homes! I love hearing about everyone's pets. I am in a farming community and sometimes I feel like a real oddball being such an animal person. There are a lot of folks here who just don't "get" it about pets.
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Glad to report that the dermatitis Charm (my QH mare) has had on her back heels from all the rain is better. Rotating the different creams is working. She wanted to smell it before I put it on. I reassured her and it passed the sniff test. She trusts me and stood like a perfect lady. What a sweet girl!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Goals last week
    Sunday - Spin, Body Pump, Yoga - Done
    Monday - Boot Camp class - Done
    Tuesday - Trainer WO - Done
    Wednesday - Body Fitness - Done
    Thursday - Trainer WO - He cancelled I did a rest day
    Friday - Rest Day He cancelled again - 20 mile bike ride
    Saturday - Spin - Not done, ended up working 9 hours
    This week 20 miles of road bike - 24 miles
    Log every bite, sip, move - 6/7 done

All in all I salvaged the week - weigh in I was down 1 pound
    Today I did my first attempt at a 10k run. I ran the first 5 miles then walked 2 miles so ended up over 10 k but I feel pleased with the resuts. My longest run previous was a 5k.

Monday - Boot camp class
    Tuesday - Trainer WO
    Wednesday - either Total Body class or 20 mile bike
    Thursday - Trainer WO
    Friday - rest
    Saturday - Run or bike or both - My 55th birthday, I will have cake
    Sunday - Edge the Ledge Mud Run - Ahoy, it is pirate themed!

Get my water in every day

Thank you to all who posted pics of home
    Here is another pic of my home town, the light house on the lake about a mile from my house.

wa2h1jq0ny9d.jpg

Lori from Wisconsin
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Janetr adorable granddaughter.

Cheri love the pics with dad.

Sleep well.

MNMargaret
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Today is my "official" weigh in day. Down 2 lbs this week. Doing a happy dance.

Went to see a movie with DH this afternoon. Discovered the theater now sells a "junior" size bag of popcorn that is about 2 cups of popcorn so I splurged and got my own bag of popcorn. Even with the popcorn I stayed within my calories today so I'm pretty darned happy about it.

Mia in MI