My 1200 kcal experiment

Options
12345679»

Replies

• BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

thanks! now we are getting somewhere ;-)

after reading the guideline (from U.S. DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES), I was wrong, I'm not doing a VLCD (<800kcal/day) but a LCD - 1200...1500kcal/day which the guideline is recommending for weight loss. Also for the record I don't think BMI is a good measure, but ok lets see...

so if I follow the guideline (Chapter 4 - treatment guideline) you sent me and as my BMI is 26.3 (189cm/94kg), they state on page 74: "A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal for women and 1,200 to
    1,500 kcal for men..."

so, it turns out that I am in line with the guideline you sent me, so now I am really confused since you wrote that I would not get enough nutrition etc...care to elaborate on this?

• BennyCH
    Options
    See, THIS is what's troubling to me. You WILL need to figure out a way to eat some carbs if you love them. Long-term deprivation will never work!

depends what you mean by long term, I have done (this time) low carb since december, and I am not feeling depraved...we are all different, maybe it doesn't work for you

also I normally eat carbs, somewhere between 50...100g, mostly from vegetables and berries

• BennyCH
    Options
    This is one of those instances where correct spelling is important... ;)

yes sorry about that, doing my best, english is (as you know by now) not my native language + I am dyslexic...

• Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    BennyCH wrote: »

yes sorry about that, doing my best, english is (as you know by now) not my native language + I am dyslexic...

I only pointed it out as I assumed you meant deprived, which means something very different to depraved...
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I only pointed it out as I assumed you meant deprived, which means something very different to depraved...

I dunno, I can get pretty depraved when I'm deprived...
  • BennyCH
    Options

lol yeah...:-)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

maybe I expected a little more "scientific" discussions, but so far mostly empty statements which are supposed to be based on "conventional wisdom" and "common sense".

I think the reason there is not much "scientific" discussion is because there is nothing scientific about this. It's one person doing a short term diet of fairly random parameters, with no control comparison, no blood tests or independently tested health markers recorded, and utilizing self-reported conformity and results. Whether over these two weeks you lose or gain weight, feel awesome or awful, get rushed to the hospital or grow a third eye on the back of your head, doesn't tell us anything. I'm not even sure you will be able to draw any meaningful conclusions about yourself from it. Other than your ability to stick to a 2 week eating plan that most people using "conventional wisdom" and "common sense" believe is unhealthy.

TBH I don't really care if it is healthy for a grown man to eat 1200 cals a day for two weeks. It sounds unpleasant and unnecessarily difficult to me. If I can eat more food with more calories and more nutrients and be a healthy weight, I'll go with that. There are plenty of things that are difficult about life, I don't want to add something as basic and pleasurable as eating to that list. In all sincerity, good luck, I hope you get whatever it is you are trying to get out of this.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was scrolling through and I think I accidentally clicked "abuse" on someone's post...oops
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I was scrolling through and I think I accidentally clicked "abuse" on someone's post...oops

Go back and unclick it ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    OP should be about 4 months into this experiment; I'm curious if there's an update.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    He ded.