WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,957 Member
    Options
    smiley-happy026.gif@janetr7476 , while I was losing weight I would never have eaten the chips or ordered cheese in a Mexican restaurant.....I was extremely careful about everything I ate. After I reached my goal weight, my maintenance plan was to stick to the same careful eating at home, but allow myself some "different" foods at restaurants. It took me awhile to decide to order small portions in restaurants so there would be no leftovers and when there were leftovers to be sure I'd ordered something my hubby liked so I could give him the leftovers and not deal with the decision of whether to eat them myself. I agree with your plan to not treat yourself until later. Best wishes for a weight loss before seeing the bariatric surgeon again.

<3 Barbie
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Finally caught up reading.

Margaret ~ You certainly have a green thumb. Lovely flowers.

Joyce ~ Your two granddaughters sound like their parents are raising them RIGHT.

Miriamwithcats ~ I find that when I am depressed it is best to just get busy. Also, to just count off all my blessings.

Lenora ~ Sorry for your sinus probs. Are you going to St Augustine? We love it there but will probably go to Daytona this year so we can take the Pom to a beach hotel that allows dogs.

Heather ~ Hope your plans for the week come to fruition as I know you seem to love being with friends and family.

Lisa ~ Your quilt is looking lovely. My grandmother gave me a quilt when I went to college and I loved it.

Had DH's brother, his wife and a brother-in-law over for steaks last night. Kept it simple: ribe eye steaks, a hash brown casserole, large salad, garlic bread, and chocolate pie. I ate way too much steak but did not eat the pie or bread. When I put in the recipe for the casserole was awed by the large number of calories.

Will go to my hometown Tuesday and get another load of mom's clothes and go see her for a while.

Carol ~ Peach
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,611 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps, watching the sub come up on the balcony. With Kirby..
    Lhannon how was your 5k Kirby ate 1/2 this pizza!

wanxrrar5gy4.jpg[
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Katla — I know you have lots of different hummingbird species west of the Rockies, but the one in the picture looks like a ruby-throated, the kind we see at my parents' place in New Hampshire. They are such fun to watch! About our birdfeeder, we don't have it right at the window, but a good 8 yards away. If we had it any closer the window would be a significant hazard for the birds and we'd have a huge mound of sunflower seed shells on our porch.

Tough day yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions about how to protect my strawberries from the hares. I had to make do with what I had on site and could construct all by myself. My husband and I were thinking of putting in poles and attaching chickenwire, but we didn't have the right caliber poles when he was here so the job never got done. In the end, I used latticework wood I had on hand and a net intended for covering berry bushes. I made 16 one-foot-deep holes in the ground using a heavy iron bar (good abs exercise!) and put suitable lengths of latticework wood into them, attached a cord around the tops and sewed on the net with the help of a crochet hook. Lastly I weighted down the net by laying boards at the bottom. The enclosure isn't very pretty, but I hope it keeps the hares out.

I didn't finish until 2 a.m. Once again, I made good use of the midnight sun! On the down side, it was rather chilly out there and I was doing a lot fidgety detailed stuff. I decided to treat myself to some hot chocolate when I came in — but then my last package of milk had gone sour. In pure frustration I made myself a screwdriver and two cheese sandwiches. Ah, well. Tomorrow is another day. No, wait, at 2 a.m. it was already tomorrow!

The internet has been on-again-off-again today. I'll post this while I've got contact.

/Penny at the Pole
  • pipcd34
    Options
    w786vvmn33dz.jpg
    Sunrise pic
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Holy crap on the pizza - but it looks yummy, Pipster. Sunrise in Las Vegas--love that.

I did OK on the 401K, passed a couple people, finished at least as fast as I do 3.3 miles at home... but the organization of the event left a lot to be desired. They only did kids and adults awards, so of course the three fastest, youngest guys won the adult division. Like I said earlier, I wanted them to have an old, fat and slow division so I could at least get an "I finished!" medal. :) There's a pic a couple pages back (too lazy to go look for it this morning. :)) of me all sweaty and various colors from head to toe.

Next one I do (and of course there will be a next one, I'm becoming an addict fast!) I'm hoping they have the course marked better, and they actually time the event (their timer malfunctioned, someone said). One set of people that were there with water bottles said there were only a few of us who read the map right and ran the correct course!

Lisa from West Texas
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    smiley-happy026.gif@janetr7476 , while I was losing weight I would never have eaten the chips or ordered cheese in a Mexican restaurant.....I was extremely careful about everything I ate. After I reached my goal weight, my maintenance plan was to stick to the same careful eating at home, but allow myself some "different" foods at restaurants. It took me awhile to decide to order small portions in restaurants so there would be no leftovers and when there were leftovers to be sure I'd ordered something my hubby liked so I could give him the leftovers and not deal with the decision of whether to eat them myself. I agree with your plan to not treat yourself until later. Best wishes for a weight loss before seeing the bariatric surgeon again.

<3 Barbie

That is so exciting for me to hear and an inspiration too. I hope I get to that place and can have the discipline to maintain the weight. I do think it's been very helpful to me to increase my exercise and generally moving at all. So encouraging to have all of you for support and inspiration. Thank you so much.
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    miriamwithcats - I am the same about reading. I tend to find an author I enjoy and keep reading until I get to the end of the series. I love Michael Connelly, Peter James, M C Beaton and lots more. Totally escapist stuff.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Holy crap on the pizza - but it looks yummy, Pipster. Sunrise in Las Vegas--love that.

I did OK on the 401K, passed a couple people, finished at least as fast as I do 3.3 miles at home... but the organization of the event left a lot to be desired. They only did kids and adults awards, so of course the three fastest, youngest guys won the adult division. Like I said earlier, I wanted them to have an old, fat and slow division so I could at least get an "I finished!" medal. :) There's a pic a couple pages back (too lazy to go look for it this morning. :)) of me all sweaty and various colors from head to toe.

Next one I do (and of course there will be a next one, I'm becoming an addict fast!) I'm hoping they have the course marked better, and they actually time the event (their timer malfunctioned, someone said). One set of people that were there with water bottles said there were only a few of us who read the map right and ran the correct course!

Lisa from West Texas

Proud of you, great job!
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Morning all... Back to work today after the holiday weekend, but I did get up and do 30 min of cardio boxing before work.

JanetR - 125 lb. That is such an inspiration! Hope you are able to report a loss when you meet with your bariatric surgeon.

Miramwithcats - I'm a reader as well. I enjoy mostly fiction. My escape from reality. I just finished reading An Untamed State and I'm working on Olive Kitteridge now.

I've been a yo-yo dieter most of my adult life but I'm determined to lose it and keep it off this time. I'd be interested to hear from those of you who were yo-yo dieters and have now been able to keep it off. What was different this time? What was your inspiration?

Linda/IA
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Renny, what ashamed to be run indoors by the wildfires, when you live in such a beautiful place. I’d want to be outside any time the weather was nice. Such a nice Oma to play with the grands and give their mommy some sleep time. I know you had to enjoy it as much as the kiddies.

Sylvia, I was thinking the same thing about Pip’s body. If I had it, I’d be walking down the strip in that bikini. And yes, I want to be Pip when I grow up. I had to chuckle picturing that “tiny” Molly jumping behind you in the chair. I’m surprised it didn’t push you out onto the floor. They know Mommy will protect them. And you aren’t being a slug just because you don’t comment on every post. The main thing is that we want to know what’s going on with you.

Barbie, your Mexican food as a special treat followed by a nap, sounds right up my alley. Hope you enjoyed. smiley-eatdrink015.gif When we went for Mexican last week, I didn’t even miss having a beer with it, which I would have done in the past.

Njamyb, welcome. Please tell us a bit about yourself and sign each post with the name you want us to call you. Also a location is nice. I am so impressed with anyone that watches their weight when they are 10 lbs over weight. Unfortunately most of us went waaaaayyyyyy over, before we got serious about doing something about it. Good luck.

Lillian, great job with exercising while getting things accomplished. Send me some of that get up and go.

Linda, good for you on that jog. I don’t think I could last that long and so far, have no desire to. smiley-sad004.gif Linda, put the stun gun away! Back away from that certain idiot (is it DH????) and just stay out of jail. Ya know, they say “Ya can’t fix stupid”.

Carol, you were up very late this morning. I hope you got some good sleep once you went to bed. I don’t hear much discussion about pain level so I’m hoping that means it’s not bad? I know that is a painful recovery so hope it goes quickly. (((Hugs)))

Joyce, I’m with you: Who knew that Siri knew? Live and learn from the youngun’s. I love reading about your granddaughters. The sad thing is, there is nothing worse or meaner in this world than a 14 year old girl. Just keep loving her until she reaches 15. I listen to your description and even sit at the beach watching all the small children and think, “why didn’t I have any grand kids?” smiley-sad010.gif

Kate, that is the wonderful thing about goals: if we miss one, we can immediately start again. If we reach one, we can immediately reach for a higher one. Just remember, it’s a journey not a race. You will get there.

Sharon, it sounds like your duties of trying to inforce the rules could have been dangerous for you. Those rude adults really set a great example for all the kids.

Justdenise, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Please tell us a little about yourself to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location. As far as goals, if you are just starting out, it can be as simple as logging your food every day and drinking water. It is better to start out simple and surpass your goals than the other way around.

Heather, you said, “good job I wasn't doing line control!!!! I have a violent streak!” I’m with you cause I’d have been looking for that cattle prod!!! And to answer your question, “Do people not want to see me?”, I know I’d love to. hiya.gif Just wish you didn’t live quite so far away.

Lisa, I know when trying to figure out what to charge for an item, we think of material plus labor and what our time is worth. But the bottom line is, any item for sale, be it a quilt or a house is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Obviously you didn’t overcharge for the purse that your boss bought, or he wouldn’t have paid that. smiley-happy119.gif

Peach, your steak and taters sounds great. Yeppers, those tater casseroles are full of calories. I have finally decided that a small baked potato with 1 pat of butter is the best way to go for me.

Pip, what’s on the agenda for today? You are gonna be out by that pool every chance you get, aren’t you? Have fun for all of us. I love to sit on a balcony and watch the sun come up! Beautiful picture!!!!! smiley-happy032.gif

Penny, I still can’t imagine working outside at 2 am in the daylight. Lol Now about those TWO Cheese Sandwiches???

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    Since I keep losing connection to the internet, I’d better get this posted while I can. I hope we all have a very successful, happy and healthy week.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good grief, it's Monday again. I was away for the weekend and I'll never catch up with all the new posts so just starting in again right here.

I went to Wimberley to help my sister and brother-in-law with some more clean-up work after the flood, then came home to enjoy our small town fireworks show with my sweetie. My sister and I paddled upstream for the first time since the flood, and saw that some of the homes are now dangerously close to the bluff and almost all of them have lost the stairs, etc. that provided their river access. We were very lucky at our place to only lose the dock and canoeing stuff (along with a heart-breaking number of old cypress and pecan trees).

Our dog Luna rode along in the front of my kayak, looking cute in her life vest. Philip and I have been trying to teach her to swim - she knows how, but she doesn't know that she knows. Not sure she's ever going to be much of a water dog, but now she'll at least swim back and forth between the bank and the big rock in the middle of our swimming hole.

Wishing you all a great week!

-Yvonne in TX

July Goals:
    1. Track on MFP every day. (Already broke this one, since I didn't have net access over the weekend!)
    2. Get the exercise machines set up and step up the cardio. (The exercycle is set up in the living room now.)
    3. Unpack my office.
    4. Clear out the storage unit we filled up while moving. (We're making slow progress here.)
    5. Start saving/shopping for a better bike.
    6. Get fitted for a sports bra.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Not the smartest thing I've ever done: the dermatologist sold me this stuff called Baby Foot. You have to soak your feet first for 15 minutes, I was taking a bath, so I thought, "why not now?" Here I sit for two hours with my feet in plastic booties with footies on top holding them in place. Hot as heck and very hard to walk around, so I guess I'll be reading for the next two hours. But won't I have pretty feet?

Loved the joke except for the fact that it reminded me of me and my DH trying to have a conversation. Unfortunately, I identified a little too much with The Lone Ranger part of the conversation.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,749 Member
    Options
    hidee ho kiddo 's praise the lord finally got the mini and keyboard up and working.. now for the font :p
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lenora- aerobic bacteria thrive in o><ygen. Anaerobic bacteria thrive without o><ygen. Just two different types of bacteria that are only killed by certain antibiotics.

Since the antibiotic did not work to clear my sinuses and now in chest, going back to MD to see if she'll put me on something that will work for me, and not interfere with any of my medication. I stopped using this particular antibiotic yesterday AM because I felt like my throat was closing up. That is what pencillin did to me after a few days and my MD told me it was a reaction to it and not an interaction. I've found out, the hard way, that I am also allergic/interacted with my present medications a lot of different antibiotics and some I can't take because of that. It is a little trial and error and I don't like the error part of it. I could not lay down last night without hacking my head off; so I came back in the den and fell asleep in my chair. DH woke me up when he got ready to go to bed, and I could have choked him because I had actually fallen asleep; but, he said that I would have had a crick in my neck if I had slept that way all night.

@peachstategal - yes, we are going to St. Augustine (actually Villano Beach) which is about 10 miles from St. Augustine (but it is a beach) and nothing we have found 'actually in' St. Augustine is on a beach and you have to go through a lot of heavy traffic to get back there (on the other side of St. Augustine. Villano is closer to Jacksonville. I've got to google things to do in and around St. Augustine that we have not done before. I know we are going to the fort since Madison and Emilee have never seen it before. We always go to a restaurant there that is 'on the marsh' which when Louis and I lived in Jacksonville or visited his parents, we'd ride down and eat there 30+ years ago. It used to be 'way out in the boonies'; but St. Augustine has grown so much it is practically in town now. I can't think of the name; but, there is a CVS store on the opposite corner where you'd turn right to get there. Seafood is wonderful and so is service. It looks like a shack that they have added rooms to and most eating tables look out over the marsh and always a wonderful sunset. I know this awful sinus infection will be gone by then; and I hope that nobody else picks it up in the meantime. We also go to one that is downtown (over a business) on the main drag before you turn left to go on the Lion Bridge. Inside or outside tables; but, we usually go inside and not fight the bugs outside. Last time we went it was raining, so we had to eat inside even though we had planned on trying to eat outside under the trees.

@lagapus - yeah having a hummingbird feeder up near the window would be a safety hazard for them because they fly so fast. We have 4 across the back of our house (far side of our desk). They are really funny little birds and they drive our cat wild. He has only knocked one down (that I know of) and we were sitting on the deck. He flew off the deck when I hit him hard. He looks at them but doesn't think the 8' drop is worth it. Of course, his flying was broken by the shrubs we have. I told him 'not to mess with my hummers' and he doesn't any more. We put out our hummingbird feeders as soon as we see the first one flying around looking for food. We had one, that was tiny compared to the others; but, his beak had apparently been broken, it bend down some. The others ones would fight to keep him away a lot; but, he was the one that stayed close to them and would come early so others would not bother them. We've always had about 8 - 10 feeding off our feeders and I have to replace the juice every weekend.

@janetr7476 - usually DH will say that we are going to the Mexican Restaurant at supper and I will save my calories for that meal. I can eat 14 chips with salsa and then I will look up what I can eat that will keep me under my caloric intake for the day. Makes me look forward to the trip. I don't drink a Margarita, which I used to do, alcohol is way too high in calories for me to do so. Quite often I will take one of my Sparkling ICE drinks and carry it in the restaurant so I can drink it when Louis is drinking his Margarita and I don't miss it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kim: I’ve been having trouble keeping up here, too. :ohwell: My swimsuits as a kid were cutesy 50’s and 60’s styles that were for water play rather than serious swimming except when I took lessons at the Y. Then I had a tank suit. I went to Hawaii after HS graduation and bought a bikini there. I think I still have it as a souvenir, but the elastic has been shot at least four decades. Now I have a tankini. It looks like a one piece but is two and I like it pretty well. It is all black, and I’m considering getting something more colorful. I chose it because of potty breaks while swimming. Struggling in and out of a tank suit is a pain; the tankini is easy. :bigsmile:

Carol: It is good to hear from you, and especially good that you had a better day. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Reading Windows made me wonder about your childhood. Have your sons read it? If so, it could provide a doorway to the discussion about your growing up years. Perhaps you could talk the idea of sharing your childhood experiences with your adult children over with a counselor or trusted advisor to help you decide how to handle things. :flowerforyou: :heart:

Lisa: I ride a bike rather than run. I think the cardio workout can be just as good, and there is less stress on my knee joints. Back in the day, I ran with a neighbor. We ran on Pre’s Trail in Eugene, OR, (built in honor of Steve Prefontaine, a gifted runner who died in a tragic auto accident.) It had a softer, packed bark-chip surface, which really reduced knee jarring. If you love running, perhaps you could find softer surfaces to use when you train. Asphalt is better than concrete, and mulch is better than asphalt. I don’t know about packed dirt. Some of it is pretty hard. :flowerforyou:

Penny at the Pole: We started out feeding hummingbirds with feeders that we hung on wrought iron shepherd’s crooks. We later realized the birds had not gone south for the winter, and continued to feed them all winter long, BUT we live in a windy location and the feeders swung violently in hard winds and spilled the syrup onto our deck and the ground. Last winter we found feeders that stick to the windows with a suction cp. They don’t swing in the wind and spill their syrup and don’t freeze in ordinary cold because of the warmth from the windows. We have two species of hummingbirds during the summer. Annas Hummingbirds live here year round, and Rufous Hummingbirds are migratory. Many of the larger birds we see in our area are fish eaters. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay!!!!! I also have a riding lesson scheduled for Friday afternoon. I hope that I’m healed enough that I don’t aggravate the sites of those saddle sores. I bought padded women’s bike shorts when I started the lessons but never used them. I may give them a try under my jeans this week. Advice from experienced horsewomen is very welcome. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    w786vvmn33dz.jpg
    Sunrise pic
    If you get tired of the bright lights big city, there is a beautiful area called Red Rocks a very short drive away from Vegas. Went there last year and it is SO beautiful!

Took a break for the holiday and there are soooo many posts I cannot keep up. But I see there is a new house at Leech Lake, and new preserves in the UK and everybody except husbands seem to be behaving themselves...

I got in 2 bicycle rides over the weekend -- one was to make up for the ice cream stand holiday treat.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,282 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Katla - I'm a tankini fan too, for much the same reasons. I do wear a one piece for serious swimming though, which these days is just about the only kind I do. I loathe sunbathing with a passion, so it's a quick in, do my half hour, and out for me. Preferably not in the peak sunshine hours when I wear a t shirt in the pool. I don't want to lie there looking at my wrinkles and cellulite, thankyou. :noway:
    I always avoid the sun, though I love the bright colours it brings and I am happy to stay in the shade, fully clothed, looking out at it. Otherwise I tend to stay inside in the summer, lying down in a darkened room. If I have to go out for a social occasion I wear an enormous black hat that embarrasses DH no end. He says I look like a Jesuit priest! :ohwell:
    I did ask a counsellor once what I should do about telling the children. This was in 1997 when they were younger. She said no and seemed horrified by the idea. That put me off. The stupid thing is that all my friends and my brother's family all know about my father, but my little family is in blissful ignorance. My niece was also affected by him. My father was brought to court by one of his pupils and was dismissed from teaching. He was, even after he was fined by the court, a much loved and well thought of man, of whom people either didn't believe the accusations or had no idea of the damage he had caused to innocent lives. My brother initially didn't believe it until I put him right. My father's sister when they were told of his arrest just said, "Silly boy".!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think times have changed now. I hope so. He was fined £25 for each of five counts of what amounts to heavy petting by the courts. There was a huge mound of letters from parents of girls in his primary school class supporting him that the magistrate took away to read. The vicar spoke in his favour. A couple of parents came to support him at the court. I was present through all this, expecting my first child. Everyone thought he was a saint, making a plea of guilty to "spare the child from coming to court". It took me many years to realise that you can smile and smile and be a villain. The damage I suffered throughout my childhood was overwhelmingly emotional as he was insidiously always a gentle man and never "hurt" me. Just wrecked my younger life. I am writing the memoir because I want children to be listened to and taken seriously and for people to understand what wreckage is created by these "nice" men. :cry:

Enough already! The good news is that our Saturday meet up in London is a goer. Our friends are much younger than us, in their esrly 40s. They have two young children. D H met the man while he was teaching. He married a Colombian woman who was the Spanish teacher and we all became great friends when we lived in London. Some time later, after the birth of their first child, they moved to Colombia. They visit once a year to his parents, but it's two years since we saw them. So it will be a joyous reunion on the South Bank for a few hours! :drinker: The children will be a test, but great to see them all.

Sorry to write an epistle. :ohwell:

Lots of love, Heather UK
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Poopy Pip – It was great fun for me to see your pics from your balcony. I went to Vegas for my birthday this year. Met 8 friends and had dinner and a show with them. The next day 5 of my friends were in a marathon while I cheered them on with the other 2. My first time in Vegas and I had a wonderful time. By then I had lost enough weight that I was able to walk everywhere, but wasn’t confident that I could walk 5K let alone a Half Mary. I am now talking about meeting some of these same friends somewhere this year to walk a 5K. Anyway, I stayed in the Carriage House which I see in one of your pictures so many pleasant memories were conjured up by your pictures. Your suit is even more gorgeous with you in it.

Grits – I think fresh Ranier cherries are worth extra calories any day. They are usually around for 2 weeks here. I got some once this year and they were gone when I went back to the store the following week. By the same token, the Bings have been around for over a month so far and they are also usually done in 2 weeks so I am indulging in Bings, but I don’t go over my calorie allotment for them.

Lisa – I really want to do a 5K color run/walk. I just wish the color wouldn’t wash out of my clothes once I was done. My other concern is that I have asthma. I worry that breathing in the powder could be troublesome. Did you find you breathed it in?

Janetr OKC – I just read the Lone Ranger joke. Made me giggle. I really appreciate your posting the jokes. You give me the gift of a reason to smile (and often laugh out loud) every day.

Linda in Calif – I drink my iced tea unsweetened so calorie wise it is a non-issue. I had gastric by-pass surgery in Feb 2014. My doctor does not want his by-pass patients to have caffeine for 1 year after surgery and to limit it to 2-3 glasses for at least the first year after surgery. Has to do with the potential diuretic effects of caffeine. I’m determined to follow my doctor’s recommendations/orders as fully as possible. I had gotten myself up to 64 oz. of iced tea a day. Thus, my goal of cutting back to the top end of what my doctor will allow.

Joyce Indiana – My MIL lives in a condo on the 7th floor and won’t stay in a room above 7 because she read somewhere that the fire truck ladders only go as high as the 7th floor.

Miriam – Sending you big squishy hugs. I enjoy reading what you have to say and would miss you if I didn’t see you posting. I wish I could find the words to ease your depression for you.

Once upon a time I travelled for work. I would go through 5-7 books a week back then. Once I sat next to a guy on a flight who was telling me how much he enjoyed reading. He actually read 2 books a year! I was a polite young thing and didn’t laugh to his face. Now That I’m not travelling I’m a 1-2 book a week person. Books make my life so much richer. I have a deep appreciation for authors.

I had a great time at fireworks on Sat. I even got up from the ground to walk around twice! I wasn’t graceful, but I was able to get up and down without help so I count that as an NSV. It can only get better as time passes.

We saw something that was new to us at the fireworks celebration. About an hour before the fireworks started people around us were sending up sky lanterns. It was marvelous. So fascinating to watch people lighting them up, filling them and then letting go. Some lanterns rose slowly while others went up faster. I told DH that I would love to have sky lanterns at our New Year’s Eve party for folks to write their wishes for the new year and then send them off around midnight. I do worry about trashing the environment with them. Does anyone know if they simply burn up or biodegrade easily?

Mia in MI

July goal:
    Continue to honestly log food every day
    Continue to meet PT one day a week for strength training
    Start one hour a week of aerobic exercise
    Stop Iced tea overload. 24 oz. iced tea daily plus 40 oz. water
    Word of the month – gratitude

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    @Grits - thanks for the tips. I'm heading to the Mexican restaurant two weeks from this evening, as I'll be weighed that morning lol I don't drink alcohol at all since the bariatric surgery. Never drank much before that. I can't stand beer so never drank it, but would have an occasional Margarita or other mixed concoction or other. I tried alcohol once since the surgery took two sips and couldn't even stand up and walk. Gave the rest to hubby and have not tried it again. Thankfully I don't miss it. But Mexican food, pizza and gooey goodies that's another story. :) But oh how I feel has made it soooooooooooo worth it