Worst fitness plans ever!

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    amr32r wrote: »
    Lol wow I have a planet fitness membership I deadlift but not heavy though I'm just starting out lifting . I didn't know it was banned and didn't know they have pizza night .i go in and do my own workouts and if my form isn't right my daughter yells at me and tells me to correct my form.the one good thing about going there is I'm buying more equipment for home lol

Haha :bigsmile: Ya know, the free snacks at my gym were easily my favorite thing about the damn place. I can't really have sweets in the house but could easily fit a couple M&M's from their awesomely attractive jar. Same with left over cakes and other baked treats people would sometimes bring. I notice I haven't been seeing those so much anymore. I bet some jerk complained
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I think that PF putting out these "plans" is irresponsible because they will make people think they are "exercising" and "being active" enough and will usually allow themselves to eat more as a result. How many calories does 10 crunches or 15 burpees burn? Not enough for an Oreo cookie, that's for sure.

Seriously, anyone who spends any amount of time in these boards has seen the multitudes of "I'm eating healthy and exercising, why aren't I losing weight?" posts that appear every single day. The misinformation about what it takes to lose weight that's out there is overwhelming. I can guarantee that for every person who's asking, there are many more out there who aren't. They think they're doing what they need to do to lose weight and they're not. "Fitness plans" like these, put out there by an organization that people trust to help them manage their weight and health only make the problem worse.

YES! This is so completely true, and people underestimate the import of what you said.

It's also why I disagree when people say that Planet Fitness is perfectly fine for beginners. It's not. As you said, most people are horribly misinformed when it comes to fitness and fat loss. They don't need a gym whose business plan involves fostering this kind of misinformation.

"But it's the person who produces the results, not the gym," some people say. "The gym you go to doesn't matter, as long as you put in the effort." This a horribly naive viewpoint. First, it should be obvious that having better equipment, classes, and facilities can only help someone make progress more efficiently. Second, if that gym spreads false ideas about what it takes to get fit, that's obviously a problem as well. And third, if that gym actually prohibits the exercises that would be most beneficial to one's progress... well, who needs that?

Naive? You're expecting a company in for business to spoon feed the population an effective workout routine and are calling someone else naive? What ever happened to personal responsibility? And it doesn't matter what damn workout you do, if your eating isn't under control you won't lose weight. Effort wise, it almost seems cheaper to learn that lesson because I was tanning for a workout, than doing two hours of cardio per day and still getting fatter ;)

Please read more carefully. NOWHERE did I say that a company should "spoon feed the population an effective workout routine." I didn't even say that should propose ANY plan whatsoever. Rather, I'm saying that if they DO propose a workout plan, it should be well-designed and effective.

That's the problem. Proposing a nonsensical plan is a horrible strategy..; and YES, it is naive to think otherwise.

This notion that it's okay to propose a horrible, ineffective (and even cancer-causing) workout plan because people need to take "personal resposibility" is just plain bizarre.

Yup. Having a brain and saying this is not for me and moving on, yeah, that's bizarre.

You keep missing the point. This goes WAY beyond saying "This plan is not for me." For the overwhelming majority of people, these plans would do next to nothing. In fact, the tanning bed aspect would actually be harmful. Not to mention that, as one poster pointed out earlier, these plans would give people completely unrealistic expectations. "Ten crunches is all I need to do today? So why am I still getting fat?"
    Heck, you've been repeatedly told that the plan could indeed work for some people, but noooo.
    For some people? Only in the sense that they might be suitable for people who are severely injured or disabled, perhaps -- and even then, a physical therapy routine would be far more beneficial. Again, for the overwhelming majority of people, these plans are essentially useless and even harmful.
    It has to be a one size fit all "responsible" plan that appeases ou for them to be able to publish it. It's their company. Their marketing material. It may be useful to some. Deal with it

Nobody said that it has to be suitable for everyone. The problem is that these plans are useful for practically nobody. Anyone who knows anything about fitness would understand that.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I think that PF putting out these "plans" is irresponsible because they will make people think they are "exercising" and "being active" enough and will usually allow themselves to eat more as a result. How many calories does 10 crunches or 15 burpees burn? Not enough for an Oreo cookie, that's for sure.

Seriously, anyone who spends any amount of time in these boards has seen the multitudes of "I'm eating healthy and exercising, why aren't I losing weight?" posts that appear every single day. The misinformation about what it takes to lose weight that's out there is overwhelming. I can guarantee that for every person who's asking, there are many more out there who aren't. They think they're doing what they need to do to lose weight and they're not. "Fitness plans" like these, put out there by an organization that people trust to help them manage their weight and health only make the problem worse.

YES! This is so completely true, and people underestimate the import of what you said.

It's also why I disagree when people say that Planet Fitness is perfectly fine for beginners. It's not. As you said, most people are horribly misinformed when it comes to fitness and fat loss. They don't need a gym whose business plan involves fostering this kind of misinformation.

"But it's the person who produces the results, not the gym," some people say. "The gym you go to doesn't matter, as long as you put in the effort." This a horribly naive viewpoint. First, it should be obvious that having better equipment, classes, and facilities can only help someone make progress more efficiently. Second, if that gym spreads false ideas about what it takes to get fit, that's obviously a problem as well. And third, if that gym actually prohibits the exercises that would be most beneficial to one's progress... well, who needs that?

Naive? You're expecting a company in for business to spoon feed the population an effective workout routine and are calling someone else naive? What ever happened to personal responsibility? And it doesn't matter what damn workout you do, if your eating isn't under control you won't lose weight. Effort wise, it almost seems cheaper to learn that lesson because I was tanning for a workout, than doing two hours of cardio per day and still getting fatter ;)

Please read more carefully. NOWHERE did I say that a company should "spoon feed the population an effective workout routine." I didn't even say that should propose ANY plan whatsoever. Rather, I'm saying that if they DO propose a workout plan, it should be well-designed and effective.

That's the problem. Proposing a nonsensical plan is a horrible strategy..; and YES, it is naive to think otherwise.

This notion that it's okay to propose a horrible, ineffective (and even cancer-causing) workout plan because people need to take "personal resposibility" is just plain bizarre.

Yup. Having a brain and saying this is not for me and moving on, yeah, that's bizarre.

You keep missing the point. This goes WAY beyond saying "This plan is not for me." For the overwhelming majority of people, these plans would do next to nothing. In fact, the tanning bed aspect would actually be harmful. Not to mention that, as one poster pointed out earlier, these plans would give people completely unrealistic expectations. "Ten crunches is all I need to do today? So why am I still getting fat?"
    Heck, you've been repeatedly told that the plan could indeed work for some people, but noooo.
    For some people? Only in the sense that they might be suitable for people who are severely injured or disabled, perhaps -- and even then, a physical therapy routine would be far more beneficial. Again, for the overwhelming majority of people, these plans are essentially useless and even harmful.
    It has to be a one size fit all "responsible" plan that appeases ou for them to be able to publish it. It's their company. Their marketing material. It may be useful to some. Deal with it

Nobody said that it has to be suitable for everyone. The problem is that these plans are useful for practically nobody. Anyone who knows anything about fitness would understand that.

So the value you're providing here is in explaining that tanning won't help people not be fat? Really? Folks can't figure that one out on their own? It doesn't have to be useful and effective for a lot of people or even anybody. It's just a product. You're typically required to be an adult to sign up for these services. Use the product, or don't
  • spartan_d
    Options
    OF COURSE they can figure that out on their own. We agree on that. Now how does this absolve Planet Fitness in providing such terrible advice?

Quick answer: It does not. You clearly think that it does, but that's where you are in error.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    Any plan of theirs that neglects their free pizza needs to be disregarded completely.

guy-eats-pizza-while-working-out.gif

...I just watched this in amazement for about 2 minutes straight. Now I feel sick to my stomach...like I just ate a whole pizza with some motion sickness.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    Mayor_West wrote: »
    Any plan of theirs that neglects their free pizza needs to be disregarded completely.

guy-eats-pizza-while-working-out.gif

...I just watched this in amazement for about 2 minutes straight. Now I feel sick to my stomach...like I just ate a whole pizza with some motion sickness.

If you haven't seen this thread, take a look...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10150422/gym-wankers/p1
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    OF COURSE they can figure that out on their own. We agree on that. Now how does this absolve Planet Fitness in providing such terrible advice?

Quick answer: It does not. You clearly think that it does, but that's where you are in error.

Why do they need absolution from you? My gym offers all kinds of advice - some of it even legit. I take what I need, leave what I don't. I don't need to be babysat by their marketing material and suspect a significant percentage of adults do not. I've dabbled in many different types of fitness over the years. They ALL were good for me at the time because I kept coming back, even the ten minute workout!
  • spartan_d
    Options
    JaneiR36, you're the one who objected to the criticism of Planet Fitness. You objected based, among other things, on the notion that people should be able to distinguish good advice from bad. I'm just pointing out that while this is true, it does NOT excuse Planet Fitness from offering such horrible advice as they do.

I'm sorry that this upsets you, but I think the truth of this principle is self-evident.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Actively recruiting the most ignorant potential customer base and then lying to them to keep them as ignorant as possible is pretty high on the sleaze radar.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36, you're the one who objected to the criticism of Planet Fitness. You objected based, among other things, on the notion that people should be able to distinguish good advice from bad. I'm just pointing out that while this is true, it does NOT excuse Planet Fitness from offering such horrible advice as they do.

I'm sorry that this upsets you, but I think the truth of this principle is self-evident.

It doesn't have to be terrific advice for you. They do not need to be excused by you or anyone else for offering and marketing their services. You've made blanket statements about how "anyone who knows about fitness" thinks, just because they do not agree with you. I'm not the one upset at anyone or how any corporation chooses to run and market their business. And I'm not the one who thinks said promotional material has to be some sort of fitness bible, and then calling folks naive when they disagree. Bizarre, indeed!
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, yes?

(We don't have planet fitness in the UK)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, yes?

Your obesity rate is not as high as USA either :wink:
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This is a joke, yes?

Your obesity rate is not as high as USA either :wink:

Oh yea, it'a all planet fitness's fault (LOL)

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Yup. Having a brain and saying this is not for me and moving on, yeah, that's bizarre. Heck, you've been repeatedly told that the plan could indeed work for some people, but noooo. It has to be a one size fit all "responsible" plan that appeases you for them to be able to publish it. It's their company. Their marketing material. It may be useful to some. Deal with it

It's Planet Fitness. That's reason enough for some to complain about pretty much anything they do. Even though it's now been pointed out to the OP that what they posted in their original post wasn't a full workout plan, but instead, suggested as an addition to an existing plan. But, it's Planet Fitness!

• KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I'm actually going to defend this (maybe because I haven't had any coffee and I'm feeling totally weak), but for someone that is totally sedentary and has never gone to the gym, it might be a gentle way to show that anything is better than nothing? In reality, it's crap.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    KCoolBeanz wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm actually going to defend this (maybe because I haven't had any coffee and I'm feeling totally weak), but for someone that is totally sedentary and has never gone to the gym, it might be a gentle way to show that anything is better than nothing? In reality, it's crap.
    True but was that not taught when we were all kids at some point in life?

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options

Not these days, they are taking PE out of a lot of schools, and people aren't forcing their kids to go outside.

• yopeeps025
    Options

Not these days, they are taking PE out of a lot of schools, and people aren't forcing their kids to go outside.

That is ridiculous.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

That is ridiculous.

That last bit is completely true. People come into our neighborhood, where the kids all run around outside, and stare jaw-dropped. Because they've never seen that. Some kid comes buzzing down the street on his home-made engine-powered bike, and a contractor said to me, "You must never want to leave this place."

I pity other kids.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

Yup. Having a brain and saying this is not for me and moving on, yeah, that's bizarre. Heck, you've been repeatedly told that the plan could indeed work for some people, but noooo. It has to be a one size fit all "responsible" plan that appeases you for them to be able to publish it. It's their company. Their marketing material. It may be useful to some. Deal with it

It's Planet Fitness. That's reason enough for some to complain about pretty much anything they do. Even though it's now been pointed out to the OP that what they posted in their original post wasn't a full workout plan, but instead, suggested as an addition to an existing plan. But, it's Planet Fitness!

I know the question has been raised in at least one of my previous gyms. Something simple, realistic and doable for people just starting out.

When I was getting back into fitness, I did... wait for it: five minutes of Zumba and would leave. And come back again next time to do it again. I did longer and longer but still couldn't complete the whole 45 minute or one hour class. Eventually I "graduated" to taking my breaks outside the class and coming back in when I felt better. I did end up getting some asthma looked at but from what I remember, that was after I was able to do more intense exercise and felt like something really wasn't right. Other than that, no disabilities, nothing. Just a newbie who could only do what I could do, and just kept coming back.